What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (13 Viewers)

Yes!  Same as you?  Haven’t done a workout on it yet, tomorrow will be the first one. 

Also already confirmed my Garmin 945 has an indoor rowing exercise track capability too. I assume it’ll also auto upload to Strava. We’ll see how well it works. 
Yep same thing. I haven’t really used anything other than the built in tracking. I occasionally plug in a USB and then upload to my logbook.

I think there are some peloton wannabe apps popping up for rowing that I will probably try out. 

Yep same thing. I haven’t really used anything other than the built in tracking. I occasionally plug in a USB and then upload to my logbook.

I think there are some peloton wannabe apps popping up for rowing that I will probably try out. 
Nice. Yes I noticed the USB and network stuff, if there was a way to automate uploading of those I would do it, USB sounds like a PIA but maybe I’ll give it a shot. 

Got a nasty head cold courtesy of Mrs O and ultimately the kids, hoping a good night of sleep and I’ll be good for at least something tomorrow so I don’t fall off pace Day 1. 

7 day challenge update

Thanksgiving  start

Friday 4000 calories plus 2.6

Saturday 3500 calories no exercise plus 4.8

Sunday 3000 calories with 2 miles running plus 1.8

Monday 2000 net calories

Tuesday 2000 net calories

Wednesday 2000 net calories

Thursday 2000 net calories

Yesterday really wasn't a great eating day, but it was a fantastic pooping day. I feel like krista but with fewer friends on the internet.  My goal of getting back to my pre Thanksgiving starting weight seems to be on track.  

7 day challenge update

Thanksgiving  start

Friday 4000 calories plus 2.6

Saturday 3500 calories no exercise plus 4.8

Sunday 3000 calories with 2 miles running plus 1.8

Monday 2000 net calories

Tuesday 2000 net calories

Wednesday 2000 net calories

Thursday 2000 net calories

Yesterday really wasn't a great eating day, but it was a fantastic pooping day. I feel like krista but with fewer friends on the internet.  My goal of getting back to my pre Thanksgiving starting weight seems to be on track.  
I confess I'm not really following what any of this means "no exercise plus 4.8"

4.8 what.  Candy bars?  4800 calories?

I confess I'm not really following what any of this means "no exercise plus 4.8"

4.8 what.  Candy bars?  4800 calories?
Pounds over my starting weight.

I wanted to see if I could go off on Thanksgiving, dial back to what I'd been eating before, and get back to my starting weight all in one week. So I gave myself an absurd amount of calories to work with for Thanksgiving day and leftovers, and I'm back to the diet today. 

Pounds over my starting weight.

I wanted to see if I could go off on Thanksgiving, dial back to what I'd been eating before, and get back to my starting weight all in one week. So I gave myself an absurd amount of calories to work with for Thanksgiving day and leftovers, and I'm back to the diet today. 
Sounds gross.

@eaganwildcats

December 1 Row: 5k

Total distance so far: 5k

So I did 5k (in just under 23 mins; Strava says more because I forgot to stop my watch at the end). 

So my Garmin doesn’t track intensity, but it tracks strokes and heart rate. So you can see the parts where I tried to “sprint” for a minute here or there. Drenched in sweat at the end. Knee feels fine—given virtually no impact and never putting the Otis weight on it during this exercise, I’m thinking this may be the cure for the sore knee. 

I think I’ll just do these 5k workouts daily—Concept 2 lets you select that as a workout and counts it down and shows you splits etc. I think I remember from my rowing days that during sprints you want to keep the pace below 2 minutes, but I can only keep up that pace for around a minute at a time at this point. 

Anyway not terrible I guess for a first day back to the erg. I’d like to start adding on 500m or 1k warmup and cool downs at the beginning and end, just to extend the workout for over 30 mins, and may as well bite off some more chunks of that 100k if I can. No reason I can’t knock that out before the holidays. 

December 1: 262.4. Haven’t figured out how not to undo all progress when I travel. I’m going into my busiest three months of the year. Have two west coast to east coast trips in December but no travel in Jan and Feb but really long hours. 

I’m comfortable on the Peloton now. No more seat pain and bought some weights. Had been considering a rower until I came in here and saw all the tower talk. Don’t know if I need that with the Peloton.

Probably no more hiking until the spring.

I've run into a new problem now that I've plateaued just south of 160. Now that I'm a 32 waist again, I had to get new work jeans and belts, but the vast majority of clothes at Walmart are for larger sizes, especially with belts. I managed to get a few pairs of pants, but it was harder than I thought it would be.

As for shirts, I can wear either a medium or large, depending on how sexy I feel that day.

Kal El said:
I've run into a new problem now that I've plateaued just south of 160. Now that I'm a 32 waist again, I had to get new work jeans and belts, but the vast majority of clothes at Walmart are for larger sizes, especially with belts. I managed to get a few pairs of pants, but it was harder than I thought it would be.

As for shirts, I can wear either a medium or large, depending on how sexy I feel that day.
i'd go with the medium to show off the guns

Otis said:
@eaganwildcats

December 1 Row: 5k

Total distance so far: 5k

So I did 5k (in just under 23 mins; Strava says more because I forgot to stop my watch at the end). 

So my Garmin doesn’t track intensity, but it tracks strokes and heart rate. So you can see the parts where I tried to “sprint” for a minute here or there. Drenched in sweat at the end. Knee feels fine—given virtually no impact and never putting the Otis weight on it during this exercise, I’m thinking this may be the cure for the sore knee. 

I think I’ll just do these 5k workouts daily—Concept 2 lets you select that as a workout and counts it down and shows you splits etc. I think I remember from my rowing days that during sprints you want to keep the pace below 2 minutes, but I can only keep up that pace for around a minute at a time at this point. 

Anyway not terrible I guess for a first day back to the erg. I’d like to start adding on 500m or 1k warmup and cool downs at the beginning and end, just to extend the workout for over 30 mins, and may as well bite off some more chunks of that 100k if I can. No reason I can’t knock that out before the holidays. 
I was sitting watching red zone earlier when I saw this and it gave me the push to get in the row during nap time. 5K in 21:02. 

:boxing:

December 2 Row: 3512

Total distance so far: 8512

Took it easy today, just to stay on pace.  This head cold and cough has me feeling like crap -- almost skipped and stayed in bed after our 3yo climbed in with us, man was that bed comfortable this morning--but forced myself out.  Probably better to take it somewhat easy on day 2 back and ease into this.  Will aim for another 5k tomorrow, and would love to start working in a long 10k row once a week.  We'll see.

Thanks again @eaganwildcats for the challenge and motivation here.

December 2 Row: 3512

Total distance so far: 8512

Took it easy today, just to stay on pace.  This head cold and cough has me feeling like crap -- almost skipped and stayed in bed after our 3yo climbed in with us, man was that bed comfortable this morning--but forced myself out.  Probably better to take it somewhat easy on day 2 back and ease into this.  Will aim for another 5k tomorrow, and would love to start working in a long 10k row once a week.  We'll see.

Thanks again @eaganwildcats for the challenge and motivation here.
Heh. I took Nyquil to fix my illness last night and instead ended up waking to a screaming child like 4 times (wtf) - quite the zombieland experience half zonked out. Looking like a lunch row for me. Hopefully getting in a 5K unless work blows up in my face. 

Just getting up is the hardest part so  :hifive:

I did kind of a modified Fred Thanksgiving Week - I ate like a madman - we had essentially 4 all you can eat meals plus me and my FIL and BIL went to a German Tavern and consumed copious amounts of beer and German food (it was glorious).

I spent the weekend trying to recover - I didn't weigh myself all week but I was pushing 170.  Two long runs and limited meals this weekend and I'm back to 162.7 this morning.  I'd love to think I'll spend the next 3 weeks going hard core but I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing for now.  Goal is to be right around 160 on 1/2.

That's a good trend for me:

1/2/2017 - 237.5

1/1/2018 - 213.3

1/2/2019 - 180.0

1/2/2020 - 160 (projected)

The knee and ankle felt a little sore on my walk to the trains today.  We'll see how they respond tomorrow.  Just a light soreness, nothing like that day after my 3rd run in a week.  So that's good.  

The knee and ankle felt a little sore on my walk to the trains today.  We'll see how they respond tomorrow.  Just a light soreness, nothing like that day after my 3rd run in a week.  So that's good.  
I know its not your style, but you might want to slow down the pace.

Little soreness seems fine. Would just monitor - the cold is honestly probably the worse thing - such an annoyance. 

December 2 Row: 5,000 in 20:29

Total distance so far: 10,000

So I'm still resting this bum knee, but actually thinking my path forward here may be that I need to lose 20lbs before I can really make progress running.  Very unfortunate chicken-and-egg scenario here, but I fear the only way I'll be able to do the running and not have to stop every other week with a knee ailment is if I'm lighter.  Of course that means I'll have to figure out a way to lose the weight without the running.  Which, so it turns out, has been challenging for me...
elliptical  

Oh and I bought a vertical climber and a rowing machine for the basement. Should be delivered soon. Maybe these will help. 
my gym has these ones   nice

if you push it, it's brutally hard.  i do 2 minutes, plank for 1 minute.  rinse repeat at least 3 times, with no break, at the end of my cardio sessions.

sorry for the hippling.  been on vacation

I’m at 3:40 planking, but it’s getting unbearably difficult. Anyone else sharing the pain?
it sucks
Finished Day 28 of the app today and am so happy there are only two days to go.  Today was over 8 minutes of planks, but out of curiosity I looked at your Day 27 on intermediate and see it's over 12 minutes.  Very happy I switched back over to the beginner one!  I do find that, while it's awful, it is not as awful as it was when I did it in June/July, presumably because I have less weight to keep up with my spindly arms.

Speaking of weight...

9/9:  Embarrassing starting weight

9/16:  -6.0 lbs

9/23:  -3.0 lbs

9/30:  -2.2 lbs

10/7:  -3.0 lbs

10/14:  +1.0 lb  

10/21:  -4.4 lbs

10/28:  -1.4 lbs

11/4:  -2.0 lbs

11/10:  -1.0 lb

[missed week]

11/25:  -2.4 lbs

12/2:  -1.4 lbs

Total through 12 weeks:  -25.8 lbs

Take that, Thanksgiving!   :boxing:

9/9:  Embarrassing starting weight

9/16:  -6.0 lbs

9/23:  -3.0 lbs

9/30:  -2.2 lbs

10/7:  -3.0 lbs

10/14:  +1.0 lb  

10/21:  -4.4 lbs

10/28:  -1.4 lbs

11/4:  -2.0 lbs

11/10:  -1.0 lb

[missed week]

11/25:  -2.4 lbs

12/2:  -1.4 lbs

Total through 12 weeks:  -25.8 lbs

Take that, Thanksgiving!   :boxing:
Jesus.  Insane. 

Remind me how you're doing this again?  I remember day 1, which didn't seem very long ago, and here you are down almost 26lbs.  That's success right there.

Day 1/100

Felt exhausted all day today after driving for 12 hours yesterday. Even considered putting off day 1 until tomorrow, but decided to suck it up and get rolling. Hit the gym for 30mins on the treadmill and some chest and back work. It's amazing and depressing how quickly my endurance collapsed since September. I'm hoping part of that was just being wiped out from the past 10 days on the road. Tomorrow I'm planning on a 4.5 mile run/walk at the park, then work tomorrow night.

Diet:

Lunch: Rice and mixed Asian vegetables for lunch with some soy sauce and sriracha

Dinner: Grilled chicken with cauliflower and green beans

I'll probably have an apple and some cheese for a snack later since I'll be up until 3 or so

Bank: $10

Jesus.  Insane. 

Remind me how you're doing this again?  I remember day 1, which didn't seem very long ago, and here you are down almost 26lbs.  That's success right there.
Super-secret formula:

I"m doing Weight Watchers, now called WW.  I didn't mention it at first because (1) it sounds like something old people and housewives do, (2) I wasn't sure if it works, and (3) Oprah.  Not doing any dumb stuff like meetings or official weigh-ins, but just using the app.

In the program I'm using I currently get 23 points per day and additional points per week to use.  There are a lot of zero-point foods that you can fill up on, including almost all fresh fruits and vegetables (avocados are one exception I can think of), eggs, seafood, chicken, turkey...obviously only if they are not cooked in oil or whatever.  Although presumably I could use all my daily and weekly points and still lose weight, only once have I ever done so.   That's part one of my WW strategy, always keeping under (usually materially) my weekly allotment.  

Part two relates to "activity points" that you accumulate every day.  I have my Apple Health app linked to the WW app so WW automatically gives me activity points for hikes, runs, walks, etc.  You can get extra food points by "switching" them for activity points that you've accumulated.  I NEVER switch for extra food points.  I see the activity as something entirely separate.  So while it is not bostonfred approved, I don't use the activity I get to give me room to eat more.  And I am also being conscious to get more exercise; my past three months have been a lot more active than my sluggish August, for instance.

Part three of my strategy is that I am insane about tracking; I don't miss anything or think "oh, I only had a little of that."  As I mentioned before, I've tracked half a potato chip, and on Thanksgiving I tracked one almond.   :lmao:   And if in doubt, I allot a food more rather than fewer points.  I don't "cheat" on tracking because what does that accomplish?  

It's working well for me so far!  Hoping that the progress will continue.  About 11 pounds to go.   :)   

ETA:  And I drink a lot, lot less wine.  One 5-oz. glass equals 4 points.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Otis is currently on the WW site planning his next diet.   Its really a shame that we haven't maintained a running tally of the various diet and fitness schemes throughout all these years.

Seems much too boring for Otis.   :lol:   
That's the beauty of Otis.  There's no weight loss scheme that in theory is off limits.  Which is why we really could use a chronological record of them.

And do you know what's boring?  Eating nothing but potatoes.   Or eating nothing but a can of tuna and an apple every single day.   Both have been attempted.  This sounds like the state farm commercials with the guy from whiplash.  

Super-secret formula:

I"m doing Weight Watchers, now called WW.  I didn't mention it at first because (1) it sounds like something old people and housewives do, (2) I wasn't sure if it works, and (3) Oprah.  Not doing any dumb stuff like meetings or official weigh-ins, but just using the app.

In the program I'm using I currently get 23 points per day and 35 points per week to use.  There are a lot of zero-point foods that you can fill up on, including almost all fresh fruits and vegetables (avocados are one exception I can think of), eggs, seafood, chicken, turkey...obviously only if they are not cooked in oil or whatever.  Although presumably I could use all my daily and weekly points and still lose weight, only once have I ever done so.   That's part one of my WW strategy, always keeping under (usually materially) my weekly allotment.  

Part two relates to "activity points" that you accumulate every day.  I have my Apple Health app linked to the WW app so WW automatically gives me activity points for hikes, runs, walks, etc.  You can get extra food points by "switching" them for activity points that you've accumulated.  I NEVER switch for extra food points.  I see the activity as something entirely separate.  So while it is not bostonfred approved, I don't use the activity I get to give me room to eat more.  And I am also being conscious to get more exercise; my past three months have been a lot more active than my sluggish August, for instance.

Part three of my strategy is that I am insane about tracking; I don't miss anything or think "oh, I only had a little of that."  As I mentioned before, I've tracked half a potato chip, and on Thanksgiving I tracked one almond.   :lmao:   And if in doubt, I allot a food more rather than fewer points.  I don't "cheat" on tracking because what does that accomplish?  

It's working well for me so far!  Hoping that the progress will continue.  About 11 pounds to go.   :)   

Cunk alias?

Went skiing for a week over thanksgiving.  Ate and drank everything in site. Gained 1 pound.  I did ski for at least 5 hours a day on average. 

@krista4 and others,  confession time:  after day 18, 11 minutes of total planking, I had to put the challenge on hold. I experienced some minor pain in my low back. I won’t let anything mess with my skiing, so decided to give it a break, while on my trip.  I will revisit the challenge tomorrow. I did 3, one minute planks today, without incident.  Back at it tomorrow. 

Super-secret formula:

In the program I'm using I currently get 23 points per day and 35 points per week to use.  There are a lot of zero-point foods that you can fill up on, including almost all fresh fruits and vegetables (avocados are one exception I can think of), eggs, seafood, chicken, turkey...obviously only if they are not cooked in oil or whatever.  Although presumably I could use all my daily and weekly points and still lose weight, only once have I ever done so.   That's part one of my WW strategy, always keeping under (usually materially) my weekly allotment.  

WW works period (if you stick to it).  My lowest adult weight came by doing WW (I just tracked, didn't do meetings or anything) and walking.  Got down to 159 at 6', and I still wasn't happy.  Sure would love to be 159 right now. 🐷

Users who are viewing this thread