What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (12 Viewers)

Okay so potatoes + a little salt/pepper/vinegar but no ketchup or any other sauces/dressings? Not just "no fats".... it's pretty much no anything but potato/salt/pepper? Or can we use italian seasonings, garlic powder, etc?

Again... just curious as there has been a lot of discussion in here of "well, you CAN do that without affecting anything" type stuff. 

Thanks 

Last edited by a moderator:
Um, yes they are.  It's been proven over and over that you can eat a caloric deficit of potatoes or twinkies and still lose fat/muscle.
Look, I'm not getting into the diet fight because I don't give a #### and think any diet as a rule is bull#### and people should just eat healthy balanced meals and I think calorie deficits do lead to weight loss, but simply saying x # of cals in deficit = x amount of pounds lost is an oversimplification. Science is finding things like probiotics do have an impact beyond simple calories in calories out, there are countless studies against calories in/calories out and yes I'm sure you can find countless going the other way, which is why it's a ridiculous argument to have. But the more I read and the fact that there are so many research studies in every direction, the more it seems way more complex than simple calories in/calories out.

[icon] said:
Okay so potatoes + a little salt/pepper/vinegar but no ketchup or any other sauces/dressings? Not just "no fats".... it's pretty much no anything but potato/salt/pepper? Or can we use italian seasonings, garlic powder, etc?

Again... just curious as there has been a lot of discussion in here of "well, you CAN do that without affecting anything" type stuff. 

Thanks 

Been using various seasonings on mine.  Just no butter/oil/etc.

I'm no expert on it.. I'm just living the dream.

Thoughts on franks red hot? 

Cool Mashed potatoes with chicken stock + oven baked "Fries" lightly seasoned and dipped in hot sauce seem like a delicious way to handle this. 

Or does mashing the potatoes screw up the resistant starches/fibers or whatever? #notadietician. 

For the record I've dropped about 15-20lbs over the last couple months by just eating better, and taking up running, however this seems like a fun "hack" to knock off 5-10lbs and then get back to what I was doing to finish out to my goal weight. 

They suggest limited exercise.... walking etc. Others in here seem to be working out without issue. Will I still be able to run a few days a week (nothing crazy... just a couple/few miles)? Assuming that shouldn't be an issue as long as I listen to my body for any red flags of caloric deficit being too much? 

For the record I've dropped about 15-20lbs over the last couple months by just eating better, and taking up running, however this seems like a fun "hack" to knock off 5-10lbs and then get back to what I was doing to finish out to my goal weight. 

They suggest limited exercise.... walking etc. Others in here seem to be working out without issue. Will I still be able to run a few days a week (nothing crazy... just a couple/few miles)? Assuming that shouldn't be an issue as long as I listen to my body for any red flags of caloric deficit being too much? 
I was doing Pushups/Pullups and short runs no problem.  Yesterday went hard at the gym and followed with a run in the evening.  Felt awful lastnight and this morning.

Thoughts on franks red hot? 

Cool Mashed potatoes with chicken stock + oven baked "Fries" lightly seasoned and dipped in hot sauce seem like a delicious way to handle this. 

Or does mashing the potatoes screw up the resistant starches/fibers or whatever? #notadietician. 
Bump for feedback on mashed potatoes and franks red hot? :)

Northern Voice said:
Look, I'm not getting into the diet fight because I don't give a #### and think any diet as a rule is bull#### and people should just eat healthy balanced meals and I think calorie deficits do lead to weight loss, but simply saying x # of cals in deficit = x amount of pounds lost is an oversimplification. Science is finding things like probiotics do have an impact beyond simple calories in calories out, there are countless studies against calories in/calories out and yes I'm sure you can find countless going the other way, which is why it's a ridiculous argument to have. But the more I read and the fact that there are so many research studies in every direction, the more it seems way more complex than simple calories in/calories out.
Do whatever you want.  However, if you look at the key component for how bodybuilders cut weight for a show, the key component is always a caloric deficit.  If you want to muddy the waters with the other bs that may have a very small % impact, feel free.

Do whatever you want.  However, if you look at the key component for how bodybuilders cut weight for a show, the key component is always a caloric deficit.  If you want to muddy the waters with the other bs that may have a very small % impact, feel free.
Key components seems to be diuretics and an EC stack.  Maybe a little clen thrown in for good measure. 

Ah, the ECA stack.  That seems right up Otis's ally.   Now I can vouch for that.   You might not be able to sleep and want to tear someone's head off, but you'll certainly shed the lbs.

We're basically in agreement. It's the notion that's there's one way to lose weight that I disagree with. And x amount of calorie deficit = x weight loss has been disproven.

I'm not arguing that a calorie deficit isn't the best way to lose weight, I just think there are other factors that are underestimated by calories in/calories out that more recent studies are uncovering.

The "other bs" may not be BS and the small % impact may be more than we think. :shrug:  Cals in/out is a great guideline because it's so simple but it's also a bit flawed because it's too simple.

Anyway, to get this back on track, I'm enjoying a delicious baked potato in the skin and a few boiled potato quarters for lunch. I think I overseasonsed a bit, kind of salty. Or maybe my taste buds now only know bland.

We're basically in agreement. It's the notion that's there's one way to lose weight that I disagree with. And x amount of calorie deficit = x weight loss has been disproven.

I'm not arguing that a calorie deficit isn't the best way to lose weight, I just think there are other factors that are underestimated by calories in/calories out that more recent studies are uncovering.

The "other bs" may not be BS and the small % impact may be more than we think. :shrug:  Cals in/out is a great guideline because it's so simple but it's also a bit flawed because it's too simple.
We're close enough to almost be on the same page.

:hifive:

Haven't weighed myself in the 3.5 days I've done the potato diet, but the mirror and jeans test tells me I've lost 5-7lbs

My sympathies for every fat ### out there. Bc I hate burritos, chocolate, steak, and veal Parm.
We get it already.  You and your superior eating habits.  We understand.

Didn't you post pictures recently?  I can't remember if it was you or not.. but if so, you aren't going to be mistaken for a body double any time soon yourself.

My sympathies for every fat ### out there. Bc I hate burritos, chocolate, steak, and veal Parm.
This doesn't distinguish it from my gambling example.  Lots of people enjoy gambling.  But most of them are able to keep their gambling under control without it having serious negative consequences.  There are, however, some people that have gambling problems where they can't stop themselves from ####### up their lives.

Similarly, most of us like delicious food.  That doesn't mean we're all equally capable of controlling ourselves around it. 

i told otis to hold the potatoes three ways for a romantic dinner with his wife but hey if him and rigetti spagetti want to france it up over lunch im not going to stop them take that to the bank bromigos 

fantasycurse42 said:
In all seriousness, I really don't understand why just eating smart is so hard for most of you? I mean, I get it, it's difficult to make the initial changes, but once you do, your body will thank you. If you can seriously just eat potatoes and have the willpower to stick with it, you can prob adjust your diet instead.

The real problem with a fad diet is keeping the weight off. If you don't learn how to eat properly, you'll just revert to old habits once off the diet (regardless of how successful it was) and regain the weight.

If you just simply make smart changes, you don't have to change anything after you reach your target and develop new healthier habits.

Unless of course your intentions are eating only potatoes forever.
How old are you? if you're in your 20's or 30's you don't get to give out weight loss advice.  Keeping weight off in your 20's and 30's is a breeze.  If you're in your 50's, have a flat stomach and are at your perfect weight then your advice may be meaningful.

So you can eat just potatoes, but you can't eat a regular diet? That makes tons of sense. 

Reality is under no obligation to make sense to you. (And it's not a matter of can or can't; it's a matter of what's easier or harder for people.)

How old are you? if you're in your 20's or 30's you don't get to give out weight loss advice.  Keeping weight off in your 20's and 30's is a breeze.  If you're in your 50's, have a flat stomach and are at your perfect weight then your advice may be meaningful.
I'm in my 30's, what other advice should someone in their 30's avoid giving?

Weird I know.  Some people have a hard time having a regular relationship with alcohol, so they don't drink it.  Somehow it makes sense for them.
Maybe instead of potatoes, they should just avoid food completely. Your analogies are flawless.

:goodposting:

FC42 is like 32 or 33, give him 15 years and we'll see.  I think Oats is only like 40, just entering the time when your body really starts to go South on you.

Users who are viewing this thread