What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (12 Viewers)

https://hundredpushups.com/test.html

"To perform the test, simply execute as many good-form pushups as you can. Don't cut corners and please don't cheat - the last thing you want to do is end up in the wrong level of the training program! The results may be humbling, but trust me, honesty is the best policy if you want to maximize your strength gains!

Once you've collapsed in a sweaty heap on the floor and your arms have stopped trembling from the exertion, make a note (mental or otherwise) of how many, or how few, pushups you were able to perform. As an example, the first time I performed the test, I managed to eke out just 19 consecutive good-form pushups."

In other words stop when your form is bad.  For their instructions on form go to https://hundredpushups.com/what.html

Then continue on to week 1  https://hundredpushups.com/week1.html which will tell you where to start and how many pushups per set. 

The program starts with 5 sets, and tells you how much rest to take between sets (you can take more if you need to, and i need to so I do). In week 5 you switch from 5 sets to 8 sets but the first 7 are actually a little easier than before. 

You never do a single set of more than 60 before you attempt the single set of 100 at the end, and if you try 100 and fail they just have you repeat the final week. 
Ok cool so I push it. I’ll do that Monday. I should probably read up but I’m just kind jumping in. My guess is i do somewhere between 30-50 on Monday to start. 

Ok cool so I push it. I’ll do that Monday. I should probably read up but I’m just kind jumping in. My guess is i do somewhere between 30-50 on Monday to start. 
I started off on the high end.  The recommendation was for me to just start with Week 2, 3rd column.  Now that I just completed week 3, I can assure you that it's starting to get a lot harder.  

I started off on the high end.  The recommendation was for me to just start with Week 2, 3rd column.  Now that I just completed week 3, I can assure you that it's starting to get a lot harder.  
Oh I’m sure it will. I do remember when I did this in college flying through early on and then having some weird days where I went backwards.

MAC_32 said:
I couldn't imagine being as disciplined as you are this time of year, but that's why I was so focused on getting healthy the last 2 months. Need 7-8+ hours of exercise per week to offset everything I jam into my piehole.
this.  so much of this.   :lmao:  

Wife and I checked into our vacation spot yesterday. In the CO mountains on a river with an outdoor hot tub. 

Won't be tracking food this week. Will try to eat reasonably well but will be  :banned: nightly. Hoping the hiking and  :pickle:  keep the weight relatively in check. 

Keep up the good work. 

Wife and I have already committed to eating well and no booze for a month when we get back. 

Hundredpushups.com week 5 day 1...

36 - I wasn't going to do the hard version after failing to hit 40 on my test but felt good enough on my first set to complete the 36, so... check.

40 - well, I did 36 more, then had to pause briefly and finished the 40. Check.

30 - thats a lot of pushups for a rest set, but check

26 - calm before the storm... this should be easy... arms are dead... but check

40 - this is simply not happening... just going to give it my best and try to get twenty-five... hey I got 30 before falling flat on my face. Then got back up and did the last ten. Check. 

Walked on the treadmill for 40 minutes but skipped the run and gave my knee a rest.  

Finished the day under calories. No alcohol.  

Looks like I'm flying solo for the next 46 days but I've got this.  
Week 5 day 1 redux

36 done, could have done more. Much better than last time. Taking 90 seconds 

40 paused briefly after 35, almost the same as last time, but finished, and with less reat than last time. Taking two minutes here though. 

30 done but barely

26 done but I will need extra rest again 

40 same as last time. The last couple were gnarly too.

almost identical to last time on every set... except I am pretty sure I did it in less time than the first go round.  So... i guess I'm progressing, but still very difficult to break through these heavy sets. I don't know if I should move on to week 5 day 2, repeat day 1, or go back to week 4 and really try to build my base. 

Either way, i finished my day strong, ran a 5k and did a little walking, ate about a pound of chicken breast and had my veggies to finish under calories even after that huge plate of eggs benedict this morning. 

29 down, 36 to go. 

Wife and I checked into our vacation spot yesterday. In the CO mountains on a river with an outdoor hot tub. 

Won't be tracking food this week. Will try to eat reasonably well but will be  :banned: nightly. Hoping the hiking and  :pickle:  keep the weight relatively in check. 

Keep up the good work. 

Wife and I have already committed to eating well and no booze for a month when we get back. 
Have fun!

Ate pretty healthy today.  Did a 30 minute Les Mill body pump workout (that's about my max with body pump).  I bought my wife a Keiser exercise bike for her bday (not fancy like the Peloton but a great quality bike) and assembled it this morning.  I'll be adding that to my exercise routine.  Week 4 pushup challenge starts tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did my initial test- 36. I could have done a few more but not sure I want to get sweaty at 8 AM at work. Plus this might make it easier to get off to a good start. 

After a fun morning at the orchard, managed to stop the bleeding a bit Saturday night and went with yogurt & granola as well as some popcorn. 15Kish steps yesterday + 5k row + 40 pushups (thought I would be able to do more, but form started suffering so I shut it down). Onward.

Any suggestions for a starting from (almost) zero workout schedule?  I've been primarily a running / biking as exercise kind of guy in the past.  Had a bum shoulder that sidelined me from weights for a year or so but after surgery and PT its almost back to normal.  The problem is I'm pretty weak overall from lack of weight training.

I'm back in the office five days a week and was thinking of joining a cheap gym and hitting it early on the way to work M-F.  I'm thinking of just trying something cheap with basic weights I can use like the local Planet Fitness.  I think the main benefit of that would be to schedule a set amount of time to workout and getting me out of the house to do it instead of always getting distracted at home.  Any suggestions for a website or something for guidance in creating a 5 day weight training plan?  NoXplod?  TIA  :flex: 

Any suggestions for a starting from (almost) zero workout schedule?  I've been primarily a running / biking as exercise kind of guy in the past.  Had a bum shoulder that sidelined me from weights for a year or so but after surgery and PT its almost back to normal.  The problem is I'm pretty weak overall from lack of weight training.

I'm back in the office five days a week and was thinking of joining a cheap gym and hitting it early on the way to work M-F.  I'm thinking of just trying something cheap with basic weights I can use like the local Planet Fitness.  I think the main benefit of that would be to schedule a set amount of time to workout and getting me out of the house to do it instead of always getting distracted at home.  Any suggestions for a website or something for guidance in creating a 5 day weight training plan?  NoXplod?  TIA  :flex: 
I'm not going to answer your question - instead...

...whatever weights you think are appropriate, do less. However many sets you think you should do, do less. However many reps you think you should do, do less. The first workout is not the hardest. The second and third ones are. You're going to be sore. Very sore. If something doesn't feel right then you may not be doing it correctly - or properly accounting for various ailments you may have (i.e. the shoulder). Be proactive about addressing any issue. And regardless, prepare for regression week 2. Then if in week 4 you do more than you did week 1 then you did well. Reward yourself with a step back week because weeks 6-8 are harder than weeks 1-3. If you get through week 8 satisfied and healthy then congrats - you did better than 80% of others trying to do the same.

So the answer to your question? Whatever you think is sustainable long term. Just make sure your back, ###, and thighs are the primary muscle groups you're focused on. ^^^That is the approach though. Be extra conservative early on. 

30 days of yoga with adriene - this is the "beginners" level series that a.most everyone in this thread has done https://yogawithadriene.com/30-days-yoga-welcome/

It's been great for me for building full body strength and I know a lot of people say the same. 20 to 30 minutes a day, so it's something you can do between meetings and you don't get all sweaty most days (although there are definitely challenging days that can get you sweating). Its also great for clearing your mind when you're stressed.

She's an excellent teacher and doesn't get all weird about chanting and saying namaste although she is a bit of a weirdo it's like a weird friend so it's endearing. I would recommend it but I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice. Consult your doctor before beginning this or any exercise program.

Ate breakfast and then had an unplanned 880 calories of chicken and vegetable lo mein for lunch. Oops.  Borrowed enough calories to have a slice of pizza with my kid so I am committed to the treadmill tonight. If i get a good run in I'll have a salad... :unsure:

We're being pummeled by bands of tropical rain, and I'm being pummeled by allergies. There will be no exercise today, and likely not tomorrow. But I will eat like I should. After I take a nap, before the game.

Week 4, Day 1 of pushup challenge - 21, 25, 21, 21, 32.  This was the first day where mentally (and physically) I wasn't sure if I would be able to finish that last set.  Perhaps my arms were sore from yesterday doing body pump.  I don't know but I really struggled today.  They said to take 60 second breaks between sets but I was closer to 90.  On the last set of 32, I stopped a couple times (although I did somehow stay in plank position) but pushed through it.

Now I'm going to go on my new exercise bike while watching football until my body tells me to stop.  Ate pretty well today (and no booze) so I'm going to earn that bowl of apple cobbler with vanilla ice cream. Yummy.

Put on Monday night football and did a couple 9 minute miles on the treadmill which isn't fast, but faster than my normal 10 minute pace, and walked 30 minutes between warm up and cool down to end up plus 395 calories. Knee felt great, decided not to push it further. 330 calorie packaged salad put my macros close to where I want them and I don't even feel guilty for splurging on lunch with 65 calories to spare.

29 days down, 36 to go. 

We're being pummeled by bands of tropical rain, and I'm being pummeled by allergies. There will be no exercise today, and likely not tomorrow. But I will eat like I should. After I take a nap, before the game.
Allergies suck. Rest days probably good for you. Eating right when you feel like #### is quality stuff. Keep it up GB. 

Got up early to row this morning. 3yo came down and interrupted me two minutes in. Had to bring her up and pull together breakfast and feed the dog, which then became getting the other kids fed and ready and out. Still made time to go back down and row another 30mins even thought it caused me to start my day a little late. Well worth it. Actually a little sore today which is weird; maybe so many rowing days in a row. 

Ate super healthy too. Very low cal.  And had less than a full glass of white wine in the evening. 

Only failure today was I didn’t do my push-ups. Didn’t even dawn on me till I was heading to bed. I’ll pick back up with that tomorrow. 

Got up early to row this morning. 3yo came down and interrupted me two minutes in. Had to bring her up and pull together breakfast and feed the dog, which then became getting the other kids fed and ready and out. Still made time to go back down and row another 30mins even thought it caused me to start my day a little late. Well worth it. Actually a little sore today which is weird; maybe so many rowing days in a row. 

Ate super healthy too. Very low cal.  And had less than a full glass of white wine in the evening. 

Only failure today was I didn’t do my push-ups. Didn’t even dawn on me till I was heading to bed. I’ll pick back up with that tomorrow. 
I'd be interested to see your results here if you're willing to share.  We started together 29 days ago, you lasted two weeks exercising, eating well and without alcohol, then did the next two weeks with some alcohol but still exercising and while you're not tracking calories, you say you're eating well for the most part. I'm tracking calories strictly but not necessarily eating perfectly, and I'm definitely losing weight at a good pace, but this isn't something I would want to sustain long term.  Have you been able to lose weight doing what you're doing?

I'd be interested to see your results here if you're willing to share.  We started together 29 days ago, you lasted two weeks exercising, eating well and without alcohol, then did the next two weeks with some alcohol but still exercising and while you're not tracking calories, you say you're eating well for the most part. I'm tracking calories strictly but not necessarily eating perfectly, and I'm definitely losing weight at a good pace, but this isn't something I would want to sustain long term.  Have you been able to lose weight doing what you're doing?
He has to be showing some results just by the fact that he's living a healthier lifestyle.  I would be very surprised if he isn't seeing some results.  Hell I've lost around 12 lbs since early March and I'm not nearly as disciplined as you (and I don't really even want/need to lose weight).  

I think the times I went off the rails with alcohol and poor eating stalled my progress. I lost about 7lbs then kept hitting the wall. Now that I’m back on track I’ll weigh in this week and see what’s what. 

I think the times I went off the rails with alcohol and poor eating stalled my progress. I lost about 7lbs then kept hitting the wall. Now that I’m back on track I’ll weigh in this week and see what’s what. 
Thanks GB. I'm partly asking for my benefit too. My plan for maintenance looks a lot like what you're doing right now - exercising, trying to eat a little better, not tracking calories and drinking fairly regularly.  If that's helping you to lose and not just tread water then expect more questions. 

Thanks GB. I'm partly asking for my benefit too. My plan for maintenance looks a lot like what you're doing right now - exercising, trying to eat a little better, not tracking calories and drinking fairly regularly.  If that's helping you to lose and not just tread water then expect more questions. 
I know you posed the question to Otis but what you described is exactly what I’ve been doing and I lost a fair amount of weight and feel like I’m in better shape than ever.

My hunch is that part is treading water—not losing but not gaining. Which is important if the ultimate goal will be long term maintenance. But I still need to knock off 20lbs before I settle in at anything. 

I know you posed the question to Otis but what you described is exactly what I’ve been doing and I lost a fair amount of weight and feel like I’m in better shape than ever.
Our version of eating normally was a little too much, or we wouldn't have gotten fat. You've stayed slimmer because your version was about right. 

It took me a long time to figure out what "eating normally" is supposed to look like, and I put on a lot of weight as I got older. Otis has put on a little too. Now he says he's eating "super healthy" and "very low cal".  His version of eating healthy isn't where yours is, and neither is mine probably. 

I've come to the conclusion that i can lose weight by eyeballing it, and i can lose weight while having a drink or two here or there, and i can maintain my weight doing both, but I lack the willpower to drink and not spoil my diet with one too many, or a snack i shouldn't have had. But if Otis is able to do it, I'm intrigued. 

i was out camping last weekend as i see the end of the summer coming quickly here one morning it was 37 degrees in my tent thats a little rough anyhow i did not have signal so i lost my streak on myfitness pal so now i am on day 2 of a new streak i did not drink at all on my camping trip and did catch a bunch of fish and i walked every morning and then hiked and fished all day every day so i am doing well and keepin on keepin on so far this week i have walked about 20 miles and have come in well under my calorie goal each day take that to the bank bromigos 

i was out camping last weekend as i see the end of the summer coming quickly here one morning it was 37 degrees in my tent thats a little rough anyhow i did not have signal so i lost my streak on myfitness pal so now i am on day 2 of a new streak i did not drink at all on my camping trip and did catch a bunch of fish and i walked every morning and then hiked and fished all day every day so i am doing well and keepin on keepin on so far this week i have walked about 20 miles and have come in well under my calorie goal each day take that to the bank bromigos 
If you go to your diary for the day it says today at the top and there's an arrow on the left to go back to yesterday, you can go back and enter your food for the day you missed (or just add a coffee, it doesn't matter at this point) and your streak will be back. You've earned it. 

• Thanks
Reactions: SWC

In general, you would be better served to start with something like this

https://thefitness.wiki/routines/5-3-1-for-beginners/

I do a 6 day spread more or less of this 5 day split.  

http://simplyshredded.com/mega-feature-layne-norton-training-series-full-powerhypertrophy-routine-updated-2011.html

Running anything 5 days in a row is going to be a challenge.  

The standard advice would be to start with full body every day, but that's a huge issue as a beginner as you simply start sore and stay sore.  The other advice might be to go Upper-Lower-Arms/Abs/Calves-Upper-Lower.   The 4 day norton routine can be stretched to 5 days like that, similar to how I took the 5 day out to 6.

Planet fitness is not known as a lifting gym, it's a lot of machines and they are sensitive to lifters and will try to ban them for minor things like racking weights too loudly.

Once to maintenance sustain (or increase) exercise then pick and choose your spots to veer from good eating habits - including drinking. Everyone's definition of fairly regularly is going to be a little different, but my spider sense is tingling on this one. 

• Smile
If you go to your diary for the day it says today at the top and there's an arrow on the left to go back to yesterday, you can go back and enter your food for the day you missed (or just add a coffee, it doesn't matter at this point) and your streak will be back. You've earned it. 
i did and im still at a 2 day streak it is ok it has remotivated me so im just going with it and kicking butt take that to the bank brohan 

Rowed this morning.  Push-ups mid day.  Total failure mid week 3, couldn’t reach the allocated amounts, but got as close as I could.  I’ll eventually move down to the first column I think, or otherwise just repeat week 3 until I get it at the center column?  Whatever.  I’ll do push-ups.  

Kachava shakes and other healthy crap to eat.  I’m a regular fitness blogger over here.  

• Smile
@bostonfred my maintenance is only controlled by exercise.  if i don't exercise, everything goes to ####.  i eat pretty well.  nearly everything from scratch.  very little out of a box or the freezer.  i drink too much.  if i aced the drinking, i'd probably go into the 170's.   for me, exercise is the key.  i exercise, so i'm healthier and don't gain weight.  with the bonus of being able to eat and drink, pretty much what i want.   :shrug:  

Week 5 day 1 redux

36 done, could have done more. Much better than last time. Taking 90 seconds 

40 paused briefly after 35, almost the same as last time, but finished, and with less reat than last time. Taking two minutes here though. 

30 done but barely

26 done but I will need extra rest again 

40 same as last time. The last couple were gnarly too.
this was HARD

60 second break between all but the last set.  90 for that one 

first 3 were pretty easy  feeling the burn at the end of 30.

26 burned the whole way.

last 20 of the last 40, sucked.  wicked burn

keep em coming fred!

Users who are viewing this thread