What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (15 Viewers)

Week 5 day 3:

Set 1 47:

Done. One minute into 3 minutes of rest and still breathing somewhat heavily, but feeling most excellent about how I was able to crank them out. 

Set 2 38:

Done. Started feeling it a bit around 30, but didn't adjust pace or anything. Of note, I likely A) go to fast and B) don't go down far enough, sue me. Have a couple old shoulder/collarbone injuries whereby getting nose all the way to the floor doesn't feel great. 1:30 left of rest, lessgo. 

Set 3 34:

Oof. Last 4 were tough. Found myself thinking most about BostonFred and if I was breathing right. Decided y'all be overthinking it. Also chuckled at trying to automate how many I was doing. Counting ain't that hard. Two more sets. Bit nervous - 4th one is usually where I hit a bit of a wall. 

Set 4 33:

Boom. Took slightly over 3 minutes rest in order to find the proper track. "Call Me"  by shinedown. Not bad. One more. 30 is the goal. Boss just called - might get more rest here :)

Set 5 29+:

Twenty minute phone call so should have some juice left. Hoping for 40. Update: 50. 
Wow impressive!

Cigars are calorie free right? Because I am sitting on my patio with a stogie. 

Sure it doesn't fit with the overall health vibes in this thread, but I work hard so I can have fun occasionally. 

Did my body weight workout today and got a decent number of steps. Still have like 1300 calories left today. 

I made it ten days with no booze, this may be the end of the dry out. 

Sure it doesn't fit with the overall health vibes in this thread, but I work hard so I can have fun occasionally. 

Did my body weight workout today and got a decent number of steps. Still have like 1300 calories left today. 

Dude nice work recently and yes this thread actually has a cigar smoker workout warrior somewhere I'm trying to remember who

Stayed under calories all day and had some shrimp for lunch which is like main lining protein so my macros look good.  Had enough calories left over to celebrate with some pizza and a chocolate chip cookie for dinner/ dessert. 

48 days down 17 to go and less than 5 lbs to goal.  

Light it up!  

I work out in order to enjoy life. 

Hey @Otis, would you mind taking me off the title here?  It was (and is) hilarious, but I'm not part of the thread at this point and don't feel like I should have a spotlight, haha.  You can focus on the great folks doing such good work here, like the freds, the kevs, the Pokes, the SWCs, the DAs, the eagans, the Turtles, etc.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm keeping up with my routine, but really going overboard on the snacks.  Very rarely crave bad meals, but god do I love snacks. I wonder what kind of shape I'd be in if I could say no to the oreos occasionally. 

DAMN YOU OREOS!!!(and chips, ice cream, licorice, jube jubes, chocolate...)

Spent time with my kid this morning and my mom the rest of the day while my wife took the kid swimming at grammys on one of the last nice days of the year.  Good day but no chance to exercise, and I might have ended up eating half a domino's pizza. Turns out theres only 210 calories in a slice of cheese, but I'd already eaten a salad and a yogurt  plus my sugary coffee so I was pretty far over goal. Got home in time to put the kid to bed and i just got off the treadmill, did a quick 5k plus some walking to leave myself with enough calories for a small gatorade and a bowl of broccoli and finish with one calorie to spare.  

I'm so happy with my recent milestone that I briefly considered just being done, but I set out to go 65 days to my birthday so I'm going to do it and see how far that takes me. 

While I was cooling down on the treadmill I looked up how many calories in a whole bottle of wine. Turns out its about 1000 to 1200 for a regular 750 ml bottle.  Coincidentally I have been running at a 1k daily calorie deficit for the last two months. So I could just eat what I've been eating, go for a quick jog and chug a bottle a day.  I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice, and I am not going to consult my doctor before beginning this diet program 

49 days down, 16 to go, 4.2 lbs to goal. 

Remember the two pounds I lost last week? This week, I ate the same things, reached my weekly exercise goal for the first time in a month, and gave 1.7 of it back.

:mellow:

We move on.
I know the definition of insanity blah blah same thing expecting different results but when you're not weighing yourself often your regular fluctuation in water weight just means this will happen. How often do you check the scale?  Maybe check again tomorrow morning and see if it corrects. I check multiple times a day because it makes a big difference in my day when i see that good number but I know that's not for everyone.

• Smile
Reactions: SWC
Every morning, first thing. So I know I gain 4-5 pounds over the weekend, and (if everything goes right) I lose 6-7 during the week. It's a very different approach from yours, and I should discuss it in more detail, but not tonight.
It sounds like you probably retain a lot of water weight when you drink and lose it during the week.  I know i do.  I figured my weight would have been up today after eating salty domino's yesterday but I will take it. 

• Smile
Tried and failed my pushup test for week 6 so I redid week 5 day 1.

36, 40, 30, 26, 40. Lots of rest in between and my form felt off but no real problem, even on the final set.  On my final set I started to get tired around 20ish and realized i was holding my breath again. Focused on slowing down my breathing and finished the 40 easily. Now I'm really wondering how much of my trouble breaking through 50 plus is from arm fatigue and how much is breathing wrong, because I have been talking about tiring out from the cardio for a while. Might need to retry the pushup test. 

Tried and failed my pushup test for week 6 so I redid week 5 day 1.

36, 40, 30, 26, 40. Lots of rest in between and my form felt off but no real problem, even on the final set.  On my final set I started to get tired around 20ish and realized i was holding my breath again. Focused on slowing down my breathing and finished the 40 easily. Now I'm really wondering how much of my trouble breaking through 50 plus is from arm fatigue and how much is breathing wrong, because I have been talking about tiring out from the cardio for a while. Might need to retry the pushup test. 
I think it may be a breathing thing because I've never felt any cardio trouble with these pushups.  My biggest challenge has been mental.  Now I think once I get to 50 consecutive, it will be a combination of mental and arm fatigue but I don't know about cardio.  For you, I'm surprised that cardio is an issue because you're pretty battle tested when it comes to cardio (with all of the running that you do).

Just completed Week 4, Day 3 (column 3) of pushup challenge - 23, 33, 29, 29, 40.  No trouble today until the last 11 pushups of Set 5 where I needed to pause 2 or 3 times.  It definitely helped to have the 2 extra cheat days of rest (supposed to have completed Day 3 on Friday).  I'll start Week 5, Day 1 (column 3) on Tuesday now.  

Will hit my calorie goal tonight on the exercise bike while watching football.

ETA - First set was 29 (not 23)

I think it may be a breathing thing because I've never felt any cardio trouble with these pushups.  My biggest challenge has been mental.  Now I think once I get to 50 consecutive, it will be a combination of mental and arm fatigue but I don't know about cardio.  For you, I'm surprised that cardio is an issue because you're pretty battle tested when it comes to cardio (with all of the running that you do).
I don't think it's cardio like running, I think I'm hitting my anaerobic threshold. Anaerobic means without oxygen and I feel like I'm hitting that thing where you're like hey I'm really exerting myself I need to stop right now.  That’s why I'm hitting pushup number 36 and saying oh no, I can't do this... but then I take a knee for 3 seconds and I can do ten more. It all makes sense now. I'm holding my breath. 

The breathing technique video i posted earlier suggested breathing at the top of the pushup but today I was just making sure that I was breathing... it kind of worked out to breathe in down up breathe out down up breathe in down up... but I'm not sure it was that strict. 

Just to test it out I just did another set and tried breathing right and did 41, even though I'm still fatigued from a max set of 40 an hour or two ago. Holy cow that might be the breakthrough.  

I don't think it's cardio like running, I think I'm hitting my anaerobic threshold. Anaerobic means without oxygen and I feel like I'm hitting that thing where you're like hey I'm really exerting myself I need to stop right now.  That’s why I'm hitting pushup number 36 and saying oh no, I can't do this... but then I take a knee for 3 seconds and I can do ten more. It all makes sense now. I'm holding my breath. 

The breathing technique video i posted earlier suggested breathing at the top of the pushup but today I was just making sure that I was breathing... it kind of worked out to breathe in down up breathe out down up breathe in down up... but I'm not sure it was that strict. 

Just to test it out I just did another set and tried breathing right and did 41, even though I'm still fatigued from a max set of 40 an hour or two ago. Holy cow that might be the breakthrough.  
I'm going to take a look at that video (and other breathing videos).  You may indeed have found a breakthrough.  By breathing properly, I wonder if the pushups need  to be a little more slow and controlled?  Although I'm using good form, I sort of go through mine pretty fast.  I do breathe but it's more like an exhale gasp with each push up (not much inhaling going on).

fred_1_15301 said:
I'm going to take a look at that video (and other breathing videos).  You may indeed have found a breakthrough.  By breathing properly, I wonder if the pushups need  to be a little more slow and controlled?  Although I'm using good form, I sort of go through mine pretty fast.  I do breathe but it's more like an exhale gasp with each push up (not much inhaling going on).
I would like to do 100 just to say I did it but in terms of actual strength gains there's no question that going slower is better exercise. I don’t think I could do 50 if I did them slowly.  I do think I could do 50 fast if I breathe better. 

• Smile
No alcohol, 125g protein, 26g fiber, stayed well under calories, did some walking and my pushups, lots of water.  Had a huge plate of chicken and roasted butternut squash that tasted as good as any of the garbage I was eating before. 

50 days down, 15 to go, 3.6 lb to goal. 

https://youtu.be/164zsYk4x9o

I know a lot of us stopped doing the yoga a month or so ago for a bunch of reasons - for me it was because i hurt my knee and was doing pushups. But my knee is feeling better, and I'm looking to transition back to semi regular yoga when I finish my 65 days. This was a good one - yoga for compassion and abs or something like that.. starts easy, ends with some warriors and boats and standing one leg balance poses. Nothing too crazy but still challenging. You can fast forward about 10 minutes of self love talk at the beginning if you want. 

No alcohol, did an hour of yoga with adriene and ran at 7 plus mph instead of my normal weekday 6mph jogging pace. Ended the day with 120g protein, 17g fiber and under calories by over 100. 

51 days down, 14 to go.  

https://youtu.be/164zsYk4x9o

I know a lot of us stopped doing the yoga a month or so ago for a bunch of reasons - for me it was because i hurt my knee and was doing pushups. But my knee is feeling better, and I'm looking to transition back to semi regular yoga when I finish my 65 days. This was a good one - yoga for compassion and abs or something like that.. starts easy, ends with some warriors and boats and standing one leg balance poses. Nothing too crazy but still challenging. You can fast forward about 10 minutes of self love talk at the beginning if you want. 
I felt so much better when I did the yoga. Now I groan again when putting on socks. 

After talking about my anaerobic threshold and breathing affecting my pushups I decided to do some speed work. 5 intervals totaling 15 minutes, finished 2 miles averaging just over 8mph, which is really fast for me, but average to slow for the running thread. Those guys run 5k at that speed.  My best is a shade over 7mph. Maybe it's all in mynhead but it feels easier at this weight. 

135g protein, 20g fiber, 38 calories under goal, no alcohol. 

52 days down, 13 to go, 3.4 lbs to goal. 

After talking about my anaerobic threshold and breathing affecting my pushups I decided to do some speed work. 5 intervals totaling 15 minutes, finished 2 miles averaging just over 8mph, which is really fast for me, but average to slow for the running thread. Those guys run 5k at that speed.  My best is a shade over 7mph. Maybe it's all in mynhead but it feels easier at this weight. 

My freshman year in college I lost a good bit of weight, and came in at decent running shape.  The general schedule just threw me off my eating game and I dropped 15 pounds and nearly all my 5k speeds hit PRs in quick succession.  There's a reason the typical winner of the marathons aren't rocking a BMI of 30+

8 MPH for 2 miles is really good.  I don't think I could do that.  I may not even be able to do 1 mile at that pace.  

Week 5, Day 1 of pushup challenge (column 3) complete - 36, 40, 30, 24, 40.  I tried some of the breathing stuff and it worked (I think).  I didn't struggle at all until around pushup 30 of Set 5 and even that wasn't a huge struggle.  

Still doing my body weight workouts.  Had a 4 day weekend last weekend and kept with healthy eating but was at or slightly over my calories a few times.  Also got my flu shot Saturday which made me feel a little crappy Sunday.  

So far so good this week.  Even ate very little yesterday during the day so I could have food truck pizza for dinner (parked right down the street from my house). 

Work stress is picking up which is making the workout sessions all the more necessary.  

Keep it up all!

https://hundredpushups.com/week6.html

Going to try the middle column, week 6 day 1. This is rough. I've never done 50 consecutive pushups before, and have struggled to get to 40, but i haven't tried a pushup test to exhaustion in a while.m50 might be doable. Will need lots of rest between sets. 

40 - check.  This wasn't a sure thing tbh.  Happy to finish without stopping, but will rest a lot before I try 50. 

50 - 42 without stopping. Then 8 more. Breathing much better. Cheated a little, did not get as low as I should have on most of these. My belly touched the floor and I'm definitely sore so I'm counting them. Gotta at least give myself a chance of finishing that final 50. 

25 - tempted to cheat on these too but went to the floor like I was trying to squish bugs with my pecs. I can feel how I'm working my chest more than last time, it's not a ton but it's noticeable. 

25 - 25 with good form which is awesome because 25 used to be a whole day. Like 5, 7, 3, 3, 7 or something. A couple weeks ago it was the challenging set.  Now it's the rest set, and I'm ready for more.  Proud of that, even if I expect to be humbled by this final set of 50.  Lots of rest. 

50 - 33 good ones before taking a knee for a couple seconds, but got right back up and finished without stopping again. That's better than I expected.  The last few were slow and painful but I did them. I didn't think I had a chance at finishing the first set let alone this one. I might repeat this day but I don't think i need to do week 5 again. Which means I might actually be able to do 100 before my birthday. 

https://hundredpushups.com/week6.html

Going to try the middle column, week 6 day 1. This is rough. I've never done 50 consecutive pushups before, and have struggled to get to 40, but i haven't tried a pushup test to exhaustion in a while.m50 might be doable. Will need lots of rest between sets. 

40 - check.  This wasn't a sure thing tbh.  Happy to finish without stopping, but will rest a lot before I try 50. 

50 - 42 without stopping. Then 8 more. Breathing much better. Cheated a little, did not get as low as I should have on most of these. My belly touched the floor and I'm definitely sore so I'm counting them. Gotta at least give myself a chance of finishing that final 50. 

25 - tempted to cheat on these too but went to the floor like I was trying to squish bugs with my pecs. I can feel how I'm working my chest more than last time, it's not a ton but it's noticeable. 

25 - 25 with good form which is awesome because 25 used to be a whole day. Like 5, 7, 3, 3, 7 or something. A couple weeks ago it was the challenging set.  Now it's the rest set, and I'm ready for more.  Proud of that, even if I expect to be humbled by this final set of 50.  Lots of rest. 

50 - 33 good ones before taking a knee for a couple seconds, but got right back up and finished without stopping again. That's better than I expected.  The last few were slow and painful but I did them. I didn't think I had a chance at finishing the first set let alone this one. I might repeat this day but I don't think i need to do week 5 again. Which means I might actually be able to do 100 before my birthday. 
If you’re going belly to the ground on all of these pushups, your form is better than mine.  I’m close to the ground but definitely not hitting it every time.

If you’re going belly to the ground on all of these pushups, your form is better than mine.  I’m close to the ground but definitely not hitting it every time.
same.

i more or less head back up, when my junk touches the ground.  when wearing a baseball hat, it hits the ground at about the same time.  i do my best to maintain a perfectly straight line from middle foot, to middle head.  ala adriene.   :shrug:   

Did my Wednesday quick run today.  4 miles in 30:05, then finished up 6.5 miles in 51:30. Will get under 30 minutes next week.

so i was out camping and fishing the last couple of weekends as the season ends here in scanny and i put on a few pounds well since sunday i have lost all four of them so bam the power of walking really crappy jogging and biking and eating right i feel like i have a system now that works and that is the best feeling i have had about eating in the last thirty years take that to the bank bromigos 

Rest day from both running and pushups today, but did a good challenging yoga with lots of core work.  Ended up about a hundred calories under goal.  No alcohol... but that may change soon.  Weighed in earlier today and i was at an unexpectedly good number.. I might get to open my presents early this year.

54 days down, 11 to go, 1.2 lbs to goal. 

I also took an extra rest day from the pushups today.  Wife is in between jobs for 3 weeks and so I decided to take the day off from work today and spend the day with her.  We hiked about 5 miles in the morning and then had a nice outdoor lunch.  Then we came back home in the afternoon and had some fun adult time    :pickle:   until picking up the kids.  

Back at it tomorrow with the pushups and will also add in a short 30 minute body combat.    :boxing:

Users who are viewing this thread