What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (9 Viewers)

Right but literally the only person I'm supposed to try to be better than is Fred. It's a little confusing. 

I'm going to try to be better than me instead. Trying that final set of 58 again. 
No matter how great you are at something there are countless others better than you. Comparing you vs others will only stunt progress. Comparisons vs the old you are the only things that matter. 

Big news for me today!

Started the year on January 1, at 236.0 lb.  

Today I weighed 199.8 lb.  

First time I can remember (possibly since college) that I am under 200lbs!

My goal weight is still 185, but my long term plan is maintaining 190-ish.  I can feel it within site.  

I'm still doing the body weight workouts.  They are getting easier so I keep upping the amount of reps.  Next month I will have to find a new 'circuit' of some kind.  I'm also getting 10k + steps most days.  

Keep up the good work everyone!

Big news for me today!

Started the year on January 1, at 236.0 lb.  

Today I weighed 199.8 lb.  

First time I can remember (possibly since college) that I am under 200lbs!

My goal weight is still 185, but my long term plan is maintaining 190-ish.  I can feel it within site.  

I'm still doing the body weight workouts.  They are getting easier so I keep upping the amount of reps.  Next month I will have to find a new 'circuit' of some kind.  I'm also getting 10k + steps most days.  

Keep up the good work everyone!
One-derland! So fn cool.  Good for you. Today is a good day. 

• Smile
Reactions: SWC
Only made it to 75 pushups. Also took a video (thus since deleted) showing my hilarious form - let's just say its not what you might see if you google "proper pushup form". 
"Only made it to 75 pushups" is pretty understated way of saying holy ####### #### I just did 75 consecutive pushups without stopping.

So awesome to hear all the progress in this thread today.  People out here killing it. 

Update?  BTW - how's the tolerance?
7am - this is so exciting, but I'll be good, I will have coffee and maybe some breakfast later 

10am - ok late breakfast was nice and only a couple hundred calories 

1pm - just had a couple slices of pizza and I'm still under calories if I was losing. Do I really get 1000 extra) 

5pm - I will just have some quesadilla and a few chips with guacamole 

6pm - and all the wine

7pm - ok no don't text people

8pm - yes let's post pictures to fbg that won't get me banned

9pm - please don't judge me it's only the one night 

7am - this is so exciting, but I'll be good, I will have coffee and maybe some breakfast later 

10am - ok late breakfast was nice and only a couple hundred calories 

1pm - just had a couple slices of pizza and I'm still under calories if I was losing. Do I really get 1000 extra) 

5pm - I will just have some quesadilla and a few chips with guacamole 

6pm - and all the wine

7pm - ok no don't text people

8pm - yes let's post pictures to fbg that won't get me banned

9pm - please don't judge me it's only the one night 
Nobody in here is going to judge you.

Yesterday I went to vote at lunch, so I had to walk in the evening. It was better, because even though it was a little warmer than at lunch, not having the sun beating on you makes all the difference. So even though it's high 80s and 70% humidity, I'll do it again today and Friday. We might get fall next week, fingers crossed.

Otis said:
Congrats man. So very awesome. I wish I had the staying power to have followed you through. I’d probably weigh 20/25lbs less right now if only I’d done that. ####
You still can Oats!

I haven't stayed on top of how people do most diets here but if I remember from way back when, you like your snacks and booze. Build that #### in to the diet. I am a big beer guy and used to weigh much more. Hell, I had a standing pizza buffet date every Friday lunch time with my brother when I was originally going from fat to not. I just budgeted in 3 slices and a large salad with vinegar based dressing. For beer in college(went in mid twenties-been a fatty since like age 7) I would just slot in a few drinks and one munchie first thing in the morning into my counting and work from their to hit cal/protein. 

You can do this with the fun things in life.  :headbang:

For all the yoga people out there. I did my first yoga session in a decade last night and it felt AMAZING!  I had multiple spots in my spine, neck, low back, and hip flexors just release energy and give me the  :wub: feeling. I did a 45 beginner Sun Salutations on Peloton app to get back into the groove. I will be starting Yoga with Adriene tonight.

As bonus points, I have roped FBG's own, Unialias into starting it up as well. He doesn't know there is this giant thread of workout stuff I believe.

Edit: The yoga was a major struggle for the first 20 minutes and then things relaxed. I was a hot potato.

Last edited by a moderator:
Otis said:
Congrats man. So very awesome. I wish I had the staying power to have followed you through. I’d probably weigh 20/25lbs less right now if only I’d done that. ####
Two months is a long commitment. I don't think it would work for you, at least not right away, and not the way I did it. You're not wired for the long haul of .5 lbs per week and you don't have the support structure to go two months of 2 lbs per week. But i think you might be able to set your mind to 3-4 weeks of 2 lbs per week.   Having Thanksgiving as the light at the end of your tunnel, I think you could go from the Monday after Halloween to the Tuesday before Thanksgiving and give yourself 22 days of no drinking, eating under 1500 net calories per day, mostly meat but it doesn't have to be keto, and rowing or doing pushups when you want to earn extra calories, and i think you could lose five or six real pounds, except it would look like close to ten pounds with all the water weight and alcohol you'd coax out of your system.  And then, if you felt like it, you could go a few more weeks again later, and again until you lose what you want to lose. And while I am not a doctor, and this is not medical advice, I'm becoming convinced that this is the only plan that would work for you. You should still consult your doctor before beginning this or any diet or exercise program.

Week 6, day 3, hard column. This is the most pushups of any day in the program. 274 pushups.  Big set of 60. I don't think I would have been able to do this before even with an extra day rest that I didn't take, but I've been carb loading and my sweat smells like alcohol. Let's do this.m

26 already i can tell that these will be worse than last time. This is a bad idea.

26 it can't be good that I'm tired already. This will be a good lesson for me.

33 done but I swear I just sweated out something solid. It may have been a whole tostito.

33 I'm getting into the groove, against all reason. This was somehow the easiest set of the four so far. Maybe that tostito was clogging an artery, and I dislodged it, like some kind of internal heimlich for fat guys. Pushups really are healthy!

26 focused on breathing "my way" which is pushup pushup big exhale. I think I'm exhaling on the way down. Then I kind of automatically inhale after I get back to the top. But it's totally involuntary. I'm only focusing on pushup pushup big exhale. 

26 tried to pay attention to when I breathe and lost count. Erred on the side of caution and I think I did 28 or 30 here. Oh well. Getting sore in the shoulders now but still chugging. 

22 this feels right. This is how many pushups I should be doing. Why did I want to do 100?  It's just an arbitrary round number. 

22 this is like the second Sunday of a vacation week. I didnt even think about this set. All I was thinking about was the set of 60.

60 this is my last big set before I try the 100, so i want to practice game conditions.  My thought is that I start fast, get tired, think about it, psych myself out and crash. But if I start slow I get too fatigued before the final set. So I'm going to domabout 30 fast, then slow down deliberately and change my cadence of my breathing to one breath per pushup. Then if I have another push left in me I'll try. And instead of counting up 30 31 32 33, I count down 30 30 29 28. 

Here we go.

Ok, got to 41 (19 left to go) and dropped. Which sucks. But I got back up and finished strong, no stopping and good form to the end. So... not bad. And again, I only took one rest day between all my week 3 days, because I'm planning to try 100 on Monday and wanted 3 days rest to give myself the best chance of success. No pushups this weekend, and I'll eat a lot better, especially Sunday and Monday.  Lfg.

Week 6, day 3, hard column. This is the most pushups of any day in the program. 274 pushups.  Big set of 60. I don't think I would have been able to do this before even with an extra day rest that I didn't take, but I've been carb loading and my sweat smells like alcohol. Let's do this.m

26 already i can tell that these will be worse than last time. This is a bad idea.

26 it can't be good that I'm tired already. This will be a good lesson for me.

33 done but I swear I just sweated out something solid. It may have been a whole tostito.

33 I'm getting into the groove, against all reason. This was somehow the easiest set of the four so far. Maybe that tostito was clogging an artery, and I dislodged it, like some kind of internal heimlich for fat guys. Pushups really are healthy!

26 focused on breathing "my way" which is pushup pushup big exhale. I think I'm exhaling on the way down. Then I kind of automatically inhale after I get back to the top. But it's totally involuntary. I'm only focusing on pushup pushup big exhale. 

26 tried to pay attention to when I breathe and lost count. Erred on the side of caution and I think I did 28 or 30 here. Oh well. Getting sore in the shoulders now but still chugging. 

22 this feels right. This is how many pushups I should be doing. Why did I want to do 100?  It's just an arbitrary round number. 

22 this is like the second Sunday of a vacation week. I didnt even think about this set. All I was thinking about was the set of 60.

You did the 60?

Took an extra day of rest from pushups (been doing that a lot lately   :oldunsure: ) but did do a 30 minute body combat session and jumped on trampoline with my daughter for 15 minutes (plus yard work).  Easily met my calorie goal for the day.  My wife bought this huge ### container of oats (which her and my son won’t touch) so that will be breakfast for me for the foreseeable future.  Day 2 (column 2) tomorrow.

Interesting dilemma today. Do I walk at noon in a UV-rich steambath, or do I walk at 6, when the forecast is for a howling north wind that makes it feel like fortysomething?
I don't recall where you live, but what you're writing is quite similar to what we're getting here. We're about to have 6 months of opportunities to exercise outdoors in cold and mostly unpleasant conditions. So this run in sunny mid 70's conditions may be a little uncomfortable, but we only have about 6 more hours of this sun soaked heat. I'm gonna go enjoy it.

I've decided to stick with the devil I know because I'll have a nice, brisk walk tomorrow anyway. Also, my low back is a little stiff and it will be easier to get it loose in the heat. Also, I hate layers, I always have to remove them and it sucks.

Just got this for pull up practice, abs and dips. I can't do a real pull up yet but I can do a few hanging from this, and then work my way up. 

On an unrelated note I seem to have put on 8 lbs the last two days. Had a salad and shame for lunch, will run tonight. 

:lmao:  Poor decision, as usual. I was exactly one block from the far point of my walk when the skies opened, and I was pelted by large, cold raindrops. Fortunately, that phase only lasted a minute, then settled into a steadier rain. I get home, looking like a drowned cat, and my step-counter apparently tracked the first 13 minutes and the last 17 minutes of my walk, but not the 21 minutes in between. Never been so glad to go back to work.

:lmao:  Poor decision, as usual. I was exactly one block from the far point of my walk when the skies opened, and I was pelted by large, cold raindrops. Fortunately, that phase only lasted a minute, then settled into a steadier rain. I get home, looking like a drowned cat, and my step-counter apparently tracked the first 13 minutes and the last 17 minutes of my walk, but not the 21 minutes in between. Never been so glad to go back to work.
Do you still have the magic space hair?  What does that magnificent mane look like with half an hour of sweat followed by half an hour of rain slicking it back?

Do you still have the magic space hair?  What does that magnificent mane look like with half an hour of sweat followed by half an hour of rain slicking it back?
Guys my age are still jealous, but tbh it has thinned considerably in front. I can tease it to the sky and it makes a passable Mel Kiper Jr. No product required.

Wet, it's more like Eric Trump  :oldunsure:

Just got this for pull up practice, abs and dips. I can't do a real pull up yet but I can do a few hanging from this, and then work my way up. 

On an unrelated note I seem to have put on 8 lbs the last two days. Had a salad and shame for lunch, will run tonight. 
Wrong link? Confused how this helps with pull ups.  If you've been doing a lot of pushups your dip game should be strong. 

So just for the hell of it I've been doing ab ripper x weekly, I went down the rabbit hole of what happened to Audra after that.  

Seems like everyone else that has ever done a BB video as a demonstrator she's knee deep in a MLM, but still smoking hot.

I need simplicity and clean rules because as we’ve seen, given flexibility and room for judgment, I’ll eventually erode good habits and be smashing Twinkies on the regular.  I’m the kind of guy who does much better with clear rules, but also simple to implement rules.
I'm way behind in this thread. I'm going to try to catch up, but in the meantime, I'll respond to this post from about a month ago.

The above is why both veganism and keto have worked well for many people. In terms of making any dietary sense, their bright-line rules are dumb. But bright-line rules aren't for being accurate; they're for improving compliance. Making certain categories of foods taboo is really effective even if it's nutritionally incoherent.

There's really no good reason not to eat oysters, and there's really no good reason not to eat boiled potatoes. But, you know, those things are just collateral damage. The general bright-line rule against eating animal foods and the general bright-line rule against eating starchy tubers will have a lot of stupid collateral damage, but so what? They'll also prevent people from eating fried chicken and french fries. That's more important.

There's a lot to be said for emphasizing clarity over cogency.

Wrong link? Confused how this helps with pull ups.  If you've been doing a lot of pushups your dip game should be strong. 
Nope that's the one.. one of the body weight exercises I've seen recommended for people who are training to do their first pull up is to hang down from something like this and lift yourself up from underneath.  That, dumbell rows, and rowing on an erg are probably all getting added to the list soon. 

Lots of people looking for a next challenge... this isn't a one month challenge or anything, but it's a cool thought 

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/do-a-pull-up/
Pull-ups have always been my arch enemy.

I can't do one. I've never done them regularly. Back in high school and college when I did strength training, I used the lat pull-down machine. I think I remember doing 12 pull-ups in high school one of the very few times I ever tried them, but I don't remember whether I was doing as many as I could, or just doing as many as were comfortable, or whether I'm simply imagining the whole thing.

I gained weight in law school and I'm pretty sure I lost the ability to do pull-ups at that point (not that I tried). I've never been able to do them since.

I've decided a number of times that I wanted to try to regain the ability to do a pull-up, but I never made much progress with anything and nothing lasted. I tried resistance bands. I did assisted pull-ups with them somewhat faithfully for a while but never felt any progress and eventually gave up. I tried horizontal rows using the dips handles on my power station, but it was awkward and uncomfortable and stupid, so I stopped. I tried passive and active hanging from the bar, but that mostly just worked out the skin on my hands. I did make some progress on my ability to hang, but it was very slow and boring. I tried doing negative reps from the bar, but it felt awkward and painful and never got easier.

Then I got some gymnastics rings. These are a game-changer.

I hung the gymnastics rings from my pull-up bar so that if I grab the rings and jump up about five inches, I'm in the top position of a pull-up. The rings feel way more natural than grabbing the bar directly. I grip them in pull-up (as opposed to chin-up) position at the top, and then as I lower myself down, my hands turn so that my palms face inward. This is a bit harder for me than starting from a chin-up position at the top, but it still feels good.

The day I got my gymnastics rings and set them up, I did about seven or eight reps of slow negatives. I didn't hang isometrically at the top -- I started descending as soon as I got in position. (This wasn't a conscious choice -- I just couldn't hang statically in the top position.) But I descended somewhat slowly and under control. It felt like the best thing I'd done, relating to pull-ups, in my adult life. This was going to work. I was on the path to doing a pull-up.

Then the next day I grabbed the rings and jumped up five inches again, and ... HOLY HELL THAT BURNS! My lats were screaming in pain, but in a good way indicating that I had actually tormented the muscles I was supposed to torment. Nothing else I'd tried had ever had that effect. I decided I needed a few days of rest before trying again, and maybe in a few days I'd start doing just one rep a day until that no longer made me sore.

So it's been about a week now, and this is the first time that I feel like I'm making real progress. I still can't do a concentric rep, but I can hang for about five seconds at the top and then lower myself noticeably more slowly than I could that first day, improving a bit every day even with just a single rep.

I don't have a timetable for when I'm hoping to do a pull-up from the bottom position to the top rather than vice versa, but it feels like I'm on my way, finally, after previously trying a bunch of things that didn't really work.

Conclusion: Yay, gymnastics rings. They feel way more natural and comfortable than a bar.

Nope that's the one.. one of the body weight exercises I've seen recommended for people who are training to do their first pull up is to hang down from something like this and lift yourself up from underneath.  That, dumbell rows, and rowing on an erg are probably all getting added to the list soon. 
Oh, yeah inverted rows.  Those are typically done without reciprocating the hands.  Not sure if that would flip over if you tried to do it like that (use two hands on one side)

Dumbell rows don't have as much carry over as dumbbell pullovers to doing pullups.

When I am trying to pick up my pull up volume I simply use the big straps.  

It took me awhile to be able to rack out pullups.  I now do them with kettlebells hanging off my feet and drop them at some point.  It's an absolute staple for me.  

Basically what I did to get my pullups going was just start with the assist machine at the gym.  

Started doing 3x10 with 50, then dropped 5 pounds each session till I could get 3x10 at the next weight.  

Once got to like 10 pounds of assist started doing jumping pull ups to assist on the concentric, but really once I was off the assist I started doing them raw as much as I could, then would use the assist as a finisher.  

Not sure what I could do now for one set with strict form raw, probably 10 no issue. I'm not one of those guys that can corn on the cob for days or crap like that.  

Just completed Week 6, Day 2 (column 2) of pushup challenge - 20, 20, 23, 23, 20, 20, 18, 18, 53.  Overall felt pretty good - the extra day of rest helps a lot.  I tried a new technique today on the last set.  I broke it down into batches of 10, trying to keep my muscles as relaxed as possible and at the end of each 10 take a 2 second pause in plank and then continue with the next 10.  That seemed to work well as I didn't get too tired until around 50.  I think that technique will help me when I get to 100.  If I could do 50 today after completing 8 sets, I feel better about my chances to complete 100.  

Just completed Week 6, Day 2 (column 2) of pushup challenge - 20, 20, 23, 23, 20, 20, 18, 18, 53.  Overall felt pretty good - the extra day of rest helps a lot.  I tried a new technique today on the last set.  I broke it down into batches of 10, trying to keep my muscles as relaxed as possible and at the end of each 10 take a 2 second pause in plank and then continue with the next 10.  That seemed to work well as I didn't get too tired until around 50.  I think that technique will help me when I get to 100.  If I could do 50 today after completing 8 sets, I feel better about my chances to complete 100.  
This is what I was trying to do before.  It sort of worked for me but I found myself getting tired from the extra time in plank. 

I like my new approach - quality breathing then switch from fast pace to slow pace. Start at fast pace, two pushups per breath, going down up down exhale up (inhale) down up down exhale up (inhale). It's really just down up down exhale, because I don't deliberately breathe in. But forcing the hard exhale helps me with the rhythm and with not holding my breath. Then when I start to get tired, and before I'm ready to quit, switch to one pushup per breath.  It's not quite the same as holding in plank, but it's a clear rest in the middle of the set. 

I've got no idea how far I'll get before I hit that point Monday, but I'm taking 3 days of rest instead of just one or two, not doing any running or other exercise beforehand and will be well hydrated. Haven't decided whether I should do a quick ten or twenty pushup warmup but probably won't. 

I still have a back issue, but if I warm up verry slowly it eventually loosens up.

The scale did not move this week. I had an unauthorized lunch on Wednesday, it's a fair cop.

Users who are viewing this thread