What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dispute With My Wife. I'll Do What The FFA Rules. (1 Viewer)

(Read the facts in the first post before voting.) What should I do?

• Ask your neighbor to move his car. Your wife is right about the parking situation, and you're wrong

Votes: 14 4.4%
  • Ask your neighbor to move his car. Your wife is wrong about the parking, but she's right that a hus

Votes: 11 3.5%
  • Ask your neighbor to move his car. Your wife is wrong about the parking, wrong about a husband alwa

Votes: 63 19.9%
  • Don't ask your neighbor to move his car. Your wife is right about the parking situation, but it's h

Votes: 14 4.4%
  • Don't ask your neighbor to move his car. Your wife is right about the parking situation, but you ca

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Don't ask your neighbor to move his car. Your wife is dead wrong, and your life sounds horrible.

Votes: 211 66.8%

• Total voters

Gary Coal Man

Footballguy
I need the FFA's collective wisdom to settle a dispute with my wife.  I'll let the FFA decide my fate, and I'll follow through with what ever you decide.

Here's the issue:

We're having a parking dispute with our neighbor.  Technically, my wife is having a parking dispute with the neighbor, and she wants me to go deal with it.  I, however, agree with my neighbor on the facts of the case, and think my wife is being irrational and over demanding.

Here are the facts:

The houses in our development have two car garages that open onto a back "alley".  It's an alley in the sense that it does not have a street name and is used only by the residents accessing their garage or parking in the back of their house.  The alley is as wide as many streets and two cars could easily drive by each other on opposite sides, but that's almost never necessary since so few people access the road.

Each garage has a short driveway from the garage door to the alley.  The driveway is about about six feet long.  Since these "two car" garages are extremely tight, a couple neighbors will park their second car outside the garage.  They'll attempt to park their car horizontally to their garage door on their short driveway, but since the driveways are so short a portion of their car or even half of it sticks out into the alley.  Once again, not a huge issue to rational people since there's still plenty of room to drive around a car sticking out into the alley.

My garage essentially mirrors the garage of the neighbor who lives behind us.  The garages are almost directly across the street from each other.  My neighbor used to park one of his cars on his driveway in the horizontal manner I mentioned such that it would stick out into the alley.  My wife would always complain that his car made it impossible for her to back her car out of our garage.  It didn't.  Any male driver would be able to back out of our garage with ease, and even most female drivers would as well.  Despite this my wife complained to our neighbor, and he started parking his car on the street in the front of his house for about a year.  

Recently, our neighbor has once again taken to parking in the back alley in the way that drives my wife insane.  This time, however, she wants me to talk to our neighbor about it.  

I don't want to ask my neighbor to move his car for several reasons:

1.  Any normal driver but for my wife can easily back out of our garage without my neighbor's car creating an issue.  I told my wife that we can always switch our parking spots so that she parks on the street in front of our house while I park in the garage.  Problem solved.  My wife doesn't want to do that, however, because she transports our daughter two and from daycare more than I do so she wants the garage spot to shelter our child from the elements.

2.  My neighbor recently had a daughter and now has two young  kids -- a toddler and a baby.  I tried to reason with my wife that our neighbor likely returned to parking in the back because it's easier access to his house from the garage with the kids than it is to parking on the front street and walking a further distance up stairs.  Plus, it's easier to store strollers in the garage and instantly jam in the car parked right outside the garage.  My wife doesn't care.

3.  Even if my neighbor had no kids, I'd still agree with my neighbor over my wife.  Half his car is on his property and half is on a common area that doesn't disturb anyone other than my wife.  Further, another neighbor parks in this same manner.  Why should my neighbor not get the benefit of parking like other neighbors do?

Current state of affairs:

My wife has been harping on me for weeks to say something to our neighbor.  I've been intentionally ducking doing this because I believe my wife is wrong.  This weekend the situation hit a boiling point because I was slamming beers with my neighbor.  When I came home and she asked what he said about the parking, I replied, "I didn't ask him." (He's a nice guy and I don't want to put him in a position where he either moves his car and secretly hates us because of it or he's put in a position where he has to tell us off.)

My wife is now complaining that I'm a pansy who is afraid to ask him to move his car.  I'm not a pansy, I just agree with my neighbor over my wife.  My wife says that we're a team and that I should side with her regardless of the situation.  She's demanding that I, not her, ask the neighbor park his car elsewhere because I'm the man, and this is the man's job in a marriage.

What would you do?

Unless you are going to have sex with your neighbor, you should probably side with your wife, whether she is right or wrong. 

And when your wife backs into his car, then what?
This. You say any man could do it, and most women. Does that mean you are fine with it when your wife invariably backs in to his car? If so, then you are right. If not and you are going to whine and complain when you have to haul the kids around while your wife's car is in the shop, then she is right.

Voted the last option. Tell your wife to back into the garage if she is afraid to back out. 

That being said, you are being a pansy. Not because you won't talk to the neighbor, but because you won't tell her she's wrong. 

1). If your wife is having a hard time with it, even if most others wouldn't, then it's a real problem to her.

2) If the way he's parking isn't legal, which it sounds like it isn't, then she has a legit complaint.

3) You can talk to your neighbor and explain that it's coming from her and that you're sorry and hopefully he understands. He likely will.

4) You're probably right.... but so what?

Unless you are going to have sex with your neighbor, you should probably side with your wife, whether she is right or wrong. 
He's not my type, but he's a Russian that will occasionally get me liquored up on his homemade vodka so I guess anything is possible.

Voted the last option. Tell your wife to back into the garage if she is afraid to back out. 

That being said, you are being a pansy. Not because you won't talk to the neighbor, but because you won't tell her she's wrong. 
Oh, no, I've told her that she's wrong numerous times.  That's part of the reason why she's so incensed and arguing that a husband should side with his wife even if he thinks she's wrong.  One-third of me agrees; but one-third of me knows she's wrong and the other third doesn't want to set a precedent of caving to unreasonable demands that create unnecessary friction with the neighbors.

Damn.  Good #######' question.  

You're missing the, "I'm glad I'm not you" option in the poll.  

ETA - I struggled with the selection, but went with option # 6.  Sounds like I'm with the majority.  

Serious question:  is your wife a bish, or is this a one off situation?

Last edited by a moderator:
 My wife says that we're a team 
Tell her good teammates help each other improve on their weaknesses.  Volunteer to take her to an empty parking lot so she can practice her backing up skills for an hour or two.

Have her park as she always does and then you turn the car around for her in the evening.  Now you are a complete panty whipped pansy 

So she can park in the alley but the neighbor can't? What is wrong with this picture?

Is the alley covered under an HOA?
Yes, technically, she's right that any jutting into the alley is an HOA violation.  And my wife is using that as leverage to get me to step to the plate.  She's saying that if I don't resolve the matter with a friendly neighbor guy chat then she'll make it worse by filing an HOA complaint.  Yep, this is my life.

Instead tip toeing around your wife's irrational demands, you'd have been much better off just telling her to stop the irrational demands. I f need be , take her to the car and show her how simple it is to back out

So she can park in the alley but the neighbor can't? What is wrong with this picture?
Neither my wife nor I ever park in the alley.  She always parks in the garage.  I always park in the front of the house.

We have another neighbor who lives kitty corner to us who also parks in the alley.  I'd feel like a #### telling the neighbor who lives behind me that he can't park in the alley while the kitty corner neighbor still parks in the alley because the neighbor who lives directly behind him is cooler than us.

We all chat in the alley when we see each other.

Others have given you good advice here.  Man up and let your wife know she is wrong.  She will eventually get over it.  You have kids, sex life can't be that great anyway. ...

Yes, technically, she's right that any jutting into the alley is an HOA violation.  And my wife is using that as leverage to get me to step to the plate.  She's saying that if I don't resolve the matter with a friendly neighbor guy chat then she'll make it worse by filing an HOA complaint.  Yep, this is my life.
Why make it worse?  Is he going to build obnoxious goal posts? Seems to bother your wife a great deal and it is against your rights in the community.  I would talk to him and explain the situation.

Otherwise, go ahead and set some money aside for when she hits his car.

Do one of those Mr. Myagi deals.  Have your wife clean the windows every night and if she does, you'll have a talk with the neighbor. Then after a week when she asks you why you haven't spoken with the neighbor yet, take her to the car in the garage and have her get in the driver seat.  Put her hand on the wheel and say "now show me clean the windows".  She'll cut that wheel so nice that when she backs out she won't come within 10 feet of that other car. 

Can you also park in the alley, forcing your wife to back into the street? 

If not, your neighbor seems reasonable, tell him your wife is a ####ty driver and you don't know what to do. Parking there shouldn't be an issue, but you're worried property damage may ensue. What does he think?

Do one of those Mr. Myagi deals.  Have your wife clean the windows every night and if she does, you'll have a talk with the neighbor. Then after a week when she asks you why you haven't spoken with the neighbor yet, take her to the car in the garage and have her get in the driver seat.  Put her hand on the wheel and say "now show me clean the windows".  She'll cut that wheel so nice that when she backs out she won't come within 10 feet of that other car. 
Wax on.  Whacks off (<--- what I'll be doing if I don't talk to my neighbor.)

Maybe I'm specially challenged, but I think I need a drawing.

It might be the parking "horizontally to the garage door" part that's throwing me. Is this just pulling into the driveway as if you'd be entering the garage, but stopping just outside? 

And if the alley is as wide as a street, can't they just park on the side of the alley like they do on the street in front instead of pulling partway into the driveway and sticking out? 

Users who are viewing this thread