What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Two sports travel soccer and rec baseball? (1 Viewer)

swirvenirvin

Footballguy
Anyone have their kids play travel soccer and double up in the spring with a rec baseball team.

Kid loves playing both sports right now, and think its dumb to make them choose this early.   He's good enough to play U7 travel soccer, but dont want that to interfere with baseball in the spring.  Is it possible to manage them both?

Rec baseball is usually just two days a week, not sure what the travel soccer will be.

I honestly wish there was a middle between rec and travel where there are cuts and the terrible kids are gone, but dont play/practice/go to tournaments all the time

Anyone have their kids play travel soccer and double up in the spring with a rec baseball team.

Kid loves playing both sports right now, and think its dumb to make them choose this early.   He's good enough to play U7 travel soccer, but dont want that to interfere with baseball in the spring.  Is it possible to manage them both?

Rec baseball is usually just two days a week, not sure what the travel soccer will be.

I honestly wish there was a middle between rec and travel where there are cuts and the terrible kids are gone, but dont play/practice/go to tournaments all the time
Our local soccer league has 3 levels of play -

Rec (this particular league only plays in the fall, though other local leagues have spring and other programs)

Signature which is the step up from rec but not quite club - limited travel - fall season was all within 30 minutes travel, team fees are very limited, IIRC cant charge more than $350 for the year, so anything above that needs to come from sponsors, etc. Some teams played a bit more, ie summer tournaments, but usually no more than 2-3 all summer, and some teams played in a spring league that was 6-8 games.

Club - Travel level - our particular club is less hardcore than most, so the majority of teams either don't play spring or cut back to one day a week with occasional friendlies or tournaments, but most pick up in the summer with 2 practices a week, will play 3-4 tournaments over the summer, play the league play in fall and post season tournaments in winter.

For me, all of my kids (I have 3 boys aged 11, 9 and 5) play multiple sports which usually involve overlaps of the seasons for some period of time. We're lucky that for the teams that I don't coach, most of the coaches are encouraging of playing multiple sports and understand conflicts will arise. So, while neither the 11 or 9 year old play baseball anymore, when they did, it was clear that spring was baseball season, so baseball had the priority over soccer. Now, while none of my boys played fall baseball, if they did, we would be clear that fall is traditionally soccer season, so soccer had the priority then. Really comes down to communication and making sure you are part of a team/club that shares your values as far as multiple sports. And when you have multiple kids playing multiple sports, it comes down to divide and conquer, realizing that you will not make everything each of your kids is doing.

My kids have played multiple sports during the same season a few times.  Can it be done?  Yes.  But most of the time, by the end of the season, I remember why we try to avoid it.

If you do it, you have to make both coaches aware, and make sure they know which is the priority (I assume travel soccer).  That way they know what to expect.  If you pick and choose which you are going to whenever there is a conflict, you're going to piss both coaches off.  If the baseball coach, hypothetically, knows he's also playing soccer, and that is the priority, he might not get the most favorable treatment, but that's really only fair since he isn't the priority.

My son is on two teams right now (both baseball) and there are conflicts to be sure. I agree with Bull Dozier that one has to take priority. 

No reason to make him choose. Especially if one of the sports is rec and one travel.

Just talk with both coaches and work out expectations with practice and games and figure out the balance that works for both teams he is on. 

Specialization is utter BS and ruining youth sports and also kid's long term love for sports.

If a kid only wants to play one organized sport (and that is his/her choice)....that is cool. But parents who force only one sport are bat crazy.

My kids have played multiple sports during the same season a few times.  Can it be done?  Yes.  But most of the time, by the end of the season, I remember why we try to avoid it.

If you do it, you have to make both coaches aware, and make sure they know which is the priority (I assume travel soccer).  That way they know what to expect.  If you pick and choose which you are going to whenever there is a conflict, you're going to piss both coaches off.  If the baseball coach, hypothetically, knows he's also playing soccer, and that is the priority, he might not get the most favorable treatment, but that's really only fair since he isn't the priority.
Exactly. Set expectations (also with your kid as well) and communicate with both coaches.

At his age he is still trying to figure things out so you can get away with it...just don't be the dope who has his kid miss practices than get an attitude about playing time during the games...

No reason to make him choose. Especially if one of the sports is rec and one travel.

Just talk with both coaches and work out expectations with practice and games and figure out the balance that works for both teams he is on. 

Specialization is utter BS and ruining youth sports and also kid's long term love for sports.

If a kid only wants to play one organized sport (and that is his/her choice)....that is cool. But parents who force only one sport are bat crazy.
One (preferably different) sport per season certainly isn't bat crazy, IMO. Seems the most sane option of all to me. 

One (preferably different) sport per season certainly isn't bat crazy, IMO. Seems the most sane option of all to me. 
Not saying one sport per season is bat crazy....I am saying a parent forcing the kids to play the one and only sport year round is, if that kid has other sporting interests.

I know plenty of kids that only play one organized sport because that is what they want to do. But I also know some parents who made their kid a one sport kid at a very early age.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not saying one sport per season is bat crazy....I am saying a parent forcing the kids to play the one and only sport year round is, if that kid has other sporting interests.

I know plenty of kids that only play one organized sport because that is what they want to do. But I also know some parents who made their kid a one sport kid at a very early age.
Gotcha. Thought you were referring to the OP possibly restricting his kid to one or the other in the spring.  

IMO, if he likes baseball, let him play that. I'm sure there's plenty of organized soccer in the fall (isn't that its main season, or is that different in different areas of the country?). 

It's also usually a lot easier to play casual backyard soccer with friends than it is baseball, so easier to keep up with general skills without playing organized ball. 

Also, as a parent whose son only played one per season, I (and my kid) found it  really annoying when some players on his team would only show up for half the games  because they played another sport at the same time. 

Also, as a parent whose son only played one per season, I (and my kid) found it  really annoying when some players on his team would only show up for half the games  because they played another sport at the same time. 
For a competitive team, I would agree with you.  I'm not sure what age you're talking about, but the OP's kid is playing U7.  That's certainly a young enough age where kids missing games to follow other interests aren't going to be detrimental to the other kids in any way shape or form, UNLESS missing games means there aren't enough players to play.

I can't disagree with that. Especially if it is a another "recreational" sport as opposed to travel. But even if it is travel, it's still an insult to the other parents and players on the recreational team.

The problem you run into with kids who play travel sports is baseball and soccer down here in Florida are pretty much 7-8 months a year. My son plays majors level travel baseball (will be 12U starting August). He plays a Fall season and a Spring season (he get's 2 months off in the fall November and December and two and a half months in the summer Half of June all of July half of August). It's about the kid. If they love both sports it's important to find a travel soccer/baseball program that can accommodate two sport players. On our travel team we have two kids who play football every fall. They don't play on our team in the Fall and always know they have to re-earn their spot on the team. One was able to this past spring and the other did not.

When it comes to recreational sports.....seriously playing two sports at the same time usually never happens. Soccer and/ or basketball bleed slightly into rec baseball down here....but only for 2-3 weeks. Then it's all baseball thru May and June if you make all-stars. The problem is when you have a travel player playing two sports and one is recreational. 

Typically it can be worked out. But the recreational team who is typically going to get the short end of the stick should not go out of their way for the travel kid's playing time. The kids who don't miss practice and are at every game regardless of skill level....should get the bulk of the playing time. That to me is the only exception when it comes to participation leagues. And if the travel parents have a problem with that.....then they are teaching their kid the wrong lesson.

Have 3 kids playing 2-3 sports each pretty much all year round.

Ive pretty much turned into a part time chauffeur.

If your not going to car pool with some other parents you will no doubt lose your mind.

For a competitive team, I would agree with you.  I'm not sure what age you're talking about, but the OP's kid is playing U7.  That's certainly a young enough age where kids missing games to follow other interests aren't going to be detrimental to the other kids in any way shape or form, UNLESS missing games means there aren't enough players to play.
Yeah, I'm picturing when they're a little bit older.  But once into kid-pitch baseball, there were only a handful of players on each team who could pitch and consistently get it over plate and/or catch and not have every other pitch be a passed ball.  When a couple of those guys on your team also played another sport (it was usually lacrosse around here), it could change the complexion of the whole team and make for some really frustrating games to watch.  

Travel takes priority over rec every time. As some already said, let the baseball coach know of conflicts ahead of time. 

Yeah, I'm picturing when they're a little bit older.  But once into kid-pitch baseball, there were only a handful of players on each team who could pitch and consistently get it over plate and/or catch and not have every other pitch be a passed ball.  When a couple of those guys on your team also played another sport (it was usually lacrosse around here), it could change the complexion of the whole team and make for some really frustrating games to watch.  
We see this on my daughter's U11 soccer team. Half of the girls miss all of the winter practices because of basketball and pure laziness. We're getting destroyed in games this spring.

I get what you're saying, but what's the alternative?  The kid never plays baseball, and the talent on your team is the lower level for every game.

Now, if this is a league with player ratings and a top talent kid gets drafted to be a team's best player, but then never shows up, that's a problem.  But, at 7, I'm thinking these are teams with a wide variety of talent.  If you have a good player that is there some of the time, you're better of than never having that player.

But, I'd agree as they get older, it matters much more.

We see this on my daughter's U11 soccer team. Half of the girls miss all of the winter practices because of basketball and pure laziness. We're getting destroyed in games this spring.
This is why on my sons travel baseball team if you play another sport in the Fall.....your not on the team for that season. And then you have to re-earn your spot.....and for one kid who was a decent player, he was unable to unseat the player that took his spot last Fall. He was a much better player, great family and no conflicts with other sports. It sucked for the kid....but he plays 2 sports and you can't have it all if your playing travel sports and want to also play football or basketball, soccer or whatever in the Fall. I know a few kids in my city who play Lacross and also travel baseball at the same time and shuttle from Lacross in the morning to baseball in the afternoon...craziness. I could never do that. That is stressful for both the kids and the parents.

If your kid plays football in the Fall, your typically looking for a new travel baseball team every spring. I know a few kids that have gone through that every year now for the last 2 years. That's how it goes. Kid wants to play multiple sports....that's great. Your just not going to find many travel baseball teams down here that will accommodate that. Now I do know of a very good team with 5 kids who play football in the Fall. What they do is just hold voluntary practices in the Fall, play one tourney a month and schedule around the football season. That is smart. And it works for that particular team. But that is an exception to the rule around here.

I get what you're saying, but what's the alternative?  The kid never plays baseball, and the talent on your team is the lower level for every game.

Now, if this is a league with player ratings and a top talent kid gets drafted to be a team's best player, but then never shows up, that's a problem.  But, at 7, I'm thinking these are teams with a wide variety of talent.  If you have a good player that is there some of the time, you're better of than never having that player.

At 7 I agree.....it does not matter. Once they hit 9 years old and it's kid's pitch then it starts to really matter if they have ratings and a player draft. Nothing more annoying then drafting a kid in the first round and they show up when they feel like it because they have travel obligations.

And don't get me started on travel baseball players who also play rec ball for little league world series reasons only. LOL. Highly unfair to the kids who only play rec league and are at every game and practice but get hosed on playing time when the travel kid shows up......it's a joke. We left recreational baseball after my son's first season of kid pitch. We made that decision as a family and have stuck with it.....Cooperstown Field Of Dreams Summer of 2017 will be his "little league" world series experience. He is really excited for it. 

I would never tax a recreational team with a part time highly skilled player....it just not fair and not an example I would want to set for the other kids...or mine. Pick a team, stick with it, and dedicate 100% of your playing time to that one team. For my kid...it was not about playing with his friends.....he loves highly competitive baseball and at his age he makes friends on any team he is on. 

Close to this.  The teams were sorted to try to make each team as competitive as possible.  I believe they usually did a blind draft, with the biggest thing in the younger leagues being getting a relatively equal # of kids who could pitch and catch on each team.  I'm pretty sure "plays another sport / likely to miss a bunch of games" wasn't one of the things on their card.  But yeah, it's not usually the kid picking dandelions in the outfield when the ball is hit to him that is playing more than one sport at a time. 

I agree you're right that it's not a big deal with the ages the OP is talking about.

My kids just turned 10 and 8 and play two sports each, each season. They both usually do soccer and flag football but will change it up sometimes.

How difficult it will be is going to depend on how many nights each team practices and what days the games are.  One of the main reasons I coach pretty much everything is so I can set the schedules to avoid practice and game conflicts for myself.  This spring looked like this:

Mon: U8 Soccer Practice

Tues: U12 Soccer Practice

Weds: U8 Soccer Practice (Co-coach handles) and U11 Flag Football Practice (I coach)

Thurs: U12 Soccer Practice

Fri: U8 Baseball Practice

Sat: Flag Football game & Baseball game

Sun: Both Soccer games

Me and my kids are really into sports so we enjoy it, still looking forward to the break over the summer though.

Fall play field hockey and travel softball Coach forr softball wants in season sport to take priority 

This is why on my sons travel baseball team if you play another sport in the Fall.....your not on the team for that season. And then you have to re-earn your spot.....and for one kid who was a decent player, he was unable to unseat the player that took his spot last Fall. He was a much better player, great family and no conflicts with other sports. It sucked for the kid....but he plays 2 sports and you can't have it all if your playing travel sports and want to also play football or basketball, soccer or whatever in the Fall. I know a few kids in my city who play Lacross and also travel baseball at the same time and shuttle from Lacross in the morning to baseball in the afternoon...craziness. I could never do that. That is stressful for both the kids and the parents.

If your kid plays football in the Fall, your typically looking for a new travel baseball team every spring. I know a few kids that have gone through that every year now for the last 2 years. That's how it goes. Kid wants to play multiple sports....that's great. Your just not going to find many travel baseball teams down here that will accommodate that. Now I do know of a very good team with 5 kids who play football in the Fall. What they do is just hold voluntary practices in the Fall, play one tourney a month and schedule around the football season. That is smart. And it works for that particular team. But that is an exception to the rule around here.
What age?  No offense but that is bs

12U and it is not BS....it's private baseball and the GM of the team can do whatever they want. We are not talking about entitlements here where when you pay the city to play recreational baseball you have a right to participate and play and there are clear guidelines and rules for how a coach is supposed to play the kids in recreational ball.

Do I agree with it? Well.......if my son is playing Fall, and earns his starting position at say for example CF and is the starter now in CF (most of the time) because the kid who played there last season is now playing football.....well he needs to earn that spot back when he returns from football let alone his spot on the team.

You can't tell a family who comes in to replace a kid who left to play football.....that when Johnny get's back from football your off the team (then you can never find a replacement). What is told to them is your son has been invited to play on the team for the Fall season.....at the conclusion of the Fall season we will give Johnny the opportunity to earn his position back in spring practice and he may take your's or another families spot. You are not guaranteed a spot on a travel squad when your the 10th, 11th or 12th kid. Typically the turnover on travel teams goes like this:

You lose either the very best kid because his parents (and maybe the kid too...I have seen this) think he should never, ever sit, play SS and bat 3rd.

Or you lose the 11th or 12th kid because they don't play enough.

You typically have 8-9 core kids and always seem to replace the 10th and 11th every season.

Our team aim's to carry 12 players for this upcoming fall and spring and in fact because we are 12U and heading to Cooperstown....it was mandatory that all players who decide to commit to this team for 2016/17 must play both the Fall and Spring season.....no exceptions. That's our team rules as handed down by our fully paid professional coach and agreed upon by the GM (a father whose son plays on the team) and the other 10 parents. Some teams don't do this. Some do.

Our team is not a typical travel team either where kids play just one spot. Every kid on this team plays at least 2 positions or more and everyone pitches. So kids do move around and develop. It's all about development. But it is a dedicated team that plays both Fall and Spring. So you risk losing your spot if you play another sport in the Fall.....that is the reality of 2 season travel baseball. Some teams run differently like I said in another post. Some don't.

So no.....it's not BS....it just means it is not the right team for your family. 

I was lucky cause my kids all preferred baseball/softball so there were no conflicts.    

Things used to be much simpler when I was a kid -- you played baseball in the late spring/early summer, football in the fall and basketball or hockey in the winter/early spring. 

12U and it is not BS....it's private baseball and the GM of the team can do whatever they want. We are not talking about entitlements here where when you pay the city to play recreational baseball you have a right to participate and play and there are clear guidelines and rules for how a coach is supposed to play the kids in recreational ball.Do I agree with it? Well.......if my son is playing Fall, and earns his starting position at say for example CF and is the starter now in CF (most of the time) because the kid who played there last season is now playing football.....well he needs to earn that spot back when he returns from football let alone his spot on the team.

But it is a dedicated team that plays both Fall and Spring. So you risk losing your spot if you play another sport in the Fall.....that is the reality of 2 season travel baseball. Some teams run differently like I said in another post. Some don't.

So no.....it's not BS....it just means it is not the right team for your family. 
But isn't this the kind of thing that just leads to more and more kids going the "specialized sport" route which you and I agree is not a good thing? 

I'm talking about the constant threat that if you're not playing that one sport at every opportunity, then you're falling behind, because there are always other kids who are doing that. 

Yep your correct to a degree.  My son plays a lot of tennis when he's on break from baseball. He also plays pick up basketball, pick up soccer, pick up touch football, so he plays other sports. But as far as organized sports he chooses to play travel baseball. Since we live in Florida it can be played both in the fall and the spring. 

Once we are done with the Cooperstown tournament next summer I'm going to encourage him to take the Fall season off moving forward. He may not want to stop though.....he sincerely loves playing ball.

Juggled baseball and lax in the spring/summer for a few years, it was stressful. Made him choose after his 12 y/o baseball season (the pinnacle of youth baseball IMO) and he's lax only now, with hockey fall/winter. Skates a little in off season to stay sharp, sitting in rink parking lot waiting for him as I type this, but lax is king this time of year. Good to diversify when young but eventually you have to choose. And make sure to keep it fun. 

Juggled baseball and lax in the spring/summer for a few years, it was stressful. Made him choose after his 12 y/o baseball season (the pinnacle of youth baseball IMO) and he's lax only now, with hockey fall/winter. Skates a little in off season to stay sharp, sitting in rink parking lot waiting for him as I type this, but lax is king this time of year. Good to diversify when young but eventually you have to choose. And make sure to keep it fun. 
Excellent advice. 

But isn't this the kind of thing that just leads to more and more kids going the "specialized sport" route which you and I agree is not a good thing? 

I'm talking about the constant threat that if you're not playing that one sport at every opportunity, then you're falling behind, because there are always other kids who are doing that. 
This is what is causing many problems with youth sports.  They are being "forced" to specialize or they don't play.  It is a serious detriment that I believe is leading to more injuries (primarily in baseball) and burnout for the kids.  Your body needs time to recover and playing a single sport 12 months a year doesn't allow that to happen.  Also, playing multiple sports helps develop different skills (balance, muscle development, hand eye coordination, etc) that will be a benefit to all sports the kid plays. 

This problem is increased due to parents and coaches being overbearing and pushing way to hard at too young of an age.  It's not necessary.  Let your kids play all sports they want.  Try and shorten seasons for minimal overlap and let the love of sports develop rather than being forced.

Now don't get me wrong.  I am competitive and abhor the rec attitude of not keeping score and all kids play the same and should shuffle through each position.  Things need to be earned and kids need to learn how to win AND how to lose.  They need to learn that maybe I am not the best everything.  Not everyone should get a trophy.  I just think that sports going 12 months a year is a big detriment to the youth without that much of an advantage.

Why do you eventually have to choose?  Why can't you play multiple sports through high school if you are talented enough?  The percentage of kids that go on beyond high school to play college or sports is so miniscule why force them to choose.  Let them play any and all that they want if they are good enough to do so.

Agreed Gally.

I make sure my son has at least 3.5 -4 months away from team baseball activity. Its highly competitve down here with travel and like I said he loves playing two seasons.

But there are teams that do not shut down at all. It's insane.

When he is not playing he is having fun with other sports. The only thing he does is go and hit for 20 minutes a week at the cages.

Unless it is some buddies getting together in the offseason to shag some fly balls play whiffle ball or what not he truly has a break from travel baseball.

Unfortunately there are many parents who push their kids too hard year round.

Agreed Gally.

I make sure my son has at least 3.5 -4 months away from team baseball activity. Its highly competitve down here with travel and like I said he loves playing two seasons.

But there are teams that do not shut down at all. It's insane.

When he is not playing he is having fun with other sports. The only thing he does is go and hit for 20 minutes a week at the cages.

Unless it is some buddies getting together in the offseason to shag some fly balls play whiffle ball or what not he truly has a break from travel baseball.

Unfortunately there are many parents who push their kids too hard year round.
I played college baseball, coached at the high school level for 15 years, and am now coaching my son (he is 10).  Over that time I have seen travel ball and "showcases" destroy many good arms because parents/coaches are pushing way to hard to get to the next level.  It also has destroyed the fun in playing the game.  It makes it work at way too young of an age.  Fact is, very few kids will ever get to the next level and if they do they are the ones that don't need to play 12 months a year because they are superior athletes anyway.  Kids should have fun, learn the game and develop to the best of their abilities.  They don't need to get burnt out or hurt because of overuse.  It's really sad to see (and this goes for all sports, not just baseball).

Why do you eventually have to choose?  Why can't you play multiple sports through high school if you are talented enough?  The percentage of kids that go on beyond high school to play college or sports is so miniscule why force them to choose.  Let them play any and all that they want if they are good enough to do so.
The problem is, by the time they reach high school, the kids who were single sport focused make varsity, the others don't. 

The perfect balance, IMO for youth in my area is basketball or hockey in the winter, and soccer or baseball in the spring and fall. 

The problem is, by the time they reach high school, the kids who were single sport focused make varsity, the others don't. 

The perfect balance, IMO for youth in my area is basketball or hockey in the winter, and soccer or baseball in the spring and fall. 
But how many of those single sports kids burn out and don't even play in high school.  I see a high percentage in my area. 

That is exactly the problem with the specialization.  It's a self fulfilling prophecy.  Parents think their kids have to focus on one sport because if they don't then they can't complete.  This is where it's on the parents and coaches to share athletes for the betterment of the athletes.  You don't need to play a sport 12 months a year to improve and become the best you can be.  You just need good coaching and work ethic for the time you play the sports.  There is no reason you couldn't play for 4-6 months per sport (2 or 3 sports a year) and hone your skill sufficiently to compete.

I meant choose one per season, my son will play hockey/lax in HS.

12U ta and it is notan..it's private baseball a nd the GM of the team don'tdo whatever they hit We pt talking about enti tlemen ts here where when you pay the city to play recreational baseball you have a right to participate and play and there are clear guidelines and rules for how a coach is supposed to play the kids in recreational ball.

Do I agree with it? Well.......if my son is playing Fall, and earns his starting position at say for example CF and is the starter now in CF (most of the time) because the kid who played there last season is now playing football.....well he needs to earn that spot back when he returns from football let alone his spot on the team.

You can't tell a family who comes in to replace a kid who left to play football.....that when Johnny get's back from football your off the team (then you can never find a replacement). What is told to them is your son has been invited to play on the team for the Fall season.....at the conclusion of the Fall season we will give Johnny the opportunity to earn his position back in spring practice and he may take your's or another families spot. You are not guaranteed a spot on a travel squad when your the 10th, 11th or 12th kid. Typically the turnover on travel teams goes like this:

You lose either the very best kid because his parents (and maybe the kid too...I have seen this) think he should never, ever sit, play SS and bat 3rd.

Or you lose the 11th or 12th kid because they don't play enough.

You typically have 8-9 core kids and always seem to replace the 10th and 11th every season.

Our team aim's to carry 12 players for this upcoming fall and spring and in fact because we are 12U and heading to Cooperstown....it was mandatory that all players who decide to commit to this team for 2016/17 must play both the Fall and Spring season.....no exceptions. That's our team rules as handed down by our fully paid professional coach and agreed upon by the GM (a father whose son plays on the team) and the other 10 parents. Some teams don't do this. Some do.

Our team is not a typical travel team either where kids play just one spot. Every kid on this team plays at least 2 positions or more and everyone pitches. So kids do move around and develop. It's all about development. But it is a dedicated team that plays both Fall and Spring. So you risk losing your spot if you play another sport in the Fall.....that is the reality of 2 season travel baseball. Some teams run differently like I said in another post. Some don't.

Fall in essence is a "scrimmage" season.  You are making a 12 year specialize way to young. I dont  see why fall sport doesnt take priority and the travel off season is when you can make it.  Just because one kid is not atletic enough  to play a second sport you shouldnt punish a kid that can.

Yes we play travelsoftball

In the fall the coach knows when he may be light and schedules around that. In the fall we have hockey or softball every day. And we hop from one to the other.

once march hits...its softball only

I played college baseball, coached at the high school level for 15 years, and am now coaching my son (he is 10).  Over that time I have seen travel ball and "showcases" destroy many good arms because parents/coaches are pushing way to hard to get to the next level.  It also has destroyed the fun in playing the game.  It makes it work at way too young of an age.  Fact is, very few kids will ever get to the next level and if they do they are the ones that don't need to play 12 months a year because they are superior athletes anyway.  Kids should have fun, learn the game and develop to the best of their abilities.  They don't need to get burnt out or hurt because of overuse.  It's really sad to see (and this goes for all sports, not just baseball).
Played college ball as well as coached my son for several years till 2015 when I finally felt it was time for him to hear another voice LOL. He loves that I just watch and enjoy his practices and games. We still go out and have fun together between his team stuff.....but it's much better sitting behind the fence now. 

I agree with you. It is why my kid never throws more than 50 pitches in a game. Our head coach does a great job managing the arms and pitch counts. We don't win at all costs. Having fun and development is the absolute most important things for young ball players. I also have seen kids get burnt out already at age 11....it's sad. Really sad.

Fall in essence is a "scrimmage" season.  You are making a 12 year specialize way to young. I dont  see why fall sport doesnt take priority and the travel off season is when you can make it.  Just because one kid is not atletic enough  to play a second sport you shouldnt punish a kid that can.

Yes we play travelsoftball
It's not a scrimmage season for this team going into 12U. It's how this team is operating for the upcoming year. And how it operated for the previous Fall.

Some teams don't do this.

Again......it's not for everyone. And all these kids are athletic enough to play second sports....but are committing to this upcoming fall season for baseball in the drive for Cooperstown. If they want to play a second sport they can....they will just have to find another team in the spring if their spot is taken......plenty of teams are always looking for players every single off-season.

So again.....not for everyone.

After 12U my kid won't be playing Fall ball like this again.....unless he wants to. But no one is forcing anyone to do anything they don't want to do.

We are playing in the usssa world series this year and had kids miss time in the fall.  So I'll just disagree :)

All my kids do one sport at a time, their choice. We don't miss any games or practices, no BS "I don't feel like going to practice" I see other parents allow. If they sign up they are 100% committed and will be there to support the team. There were a few times one of my daughters refused to stay home from basketball practice when she was sick, she wanted to go and watch and learn. I don't push my kids by any means, I do stress that playing a sport and being part of a team comes with commitment and dedication. I coach too and there are way to many kids that blow off practice and are over committed. 

Users who are viewing this thread