What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Requesting money of others for your kids' activities - cool or not? (1 Viewer)

Is it socially acceptable to request straight cash for your kid's activities

• Yes

Votes: 7 7.0%
  • No

Votes: 93 93.0%

• Total voters

Zow

Footballguy
I'm sure those of us that have played sports or done extracurriculars (e.g. music, model UN or whatever) or are parents of kids who do them know how expensive they can be and will oftentimes require some sort of fundraising to do something special like a trip or a tournament or something. In my personal experience, this is usually selling some sort of ****ty pizzas or, years ago, we'd get that catalog thing and try to sell items from there. I suppose the "classic" example of this is girl scout cookies. Recently, I've purchased a number of the fundraiser discount cards where local businesses will offer some deal for the year upon presenting the card (some of these actually work out well as there are business I frequent on there). Regardless, while probably annoying to most (especially to those without kids), there seemed to be something decently socially acceptable about hitting up friends, family, and sometimes near strangers for money because they get something in return (even though they probably would never buy the item itself or at that inflated price in the first place). I know I've bought my fair share in the several offices I've worked at in my career and have, once or twice, solicited the same. So, okay, no issue.

Recently though I got a text from a close friend and longtime softball buddy of mine with a link to a fundraiser for his kid. I've known his kid since he was a baby and, over the last couple of years, the kid has really exceled at sports and is on several premier kids' teams in the Phoenix area for baseball, football, and basketball and they travel all over for it. It's honestly pretty impressive and I'm totally happy to support him. That said, I think I'd feel the same if he were doing music, chess club, etc.

Here's the thing though: when I opened the link and was fully prepared to buy whatever random item it was to support the fundraiser, I realized there was no such item(s) and it was just a straight cash grab. My immediate reaction was to be almost offended because my friend knows I have four kids of my own, our families are probably in the same or a similar tax bracket, and it just seemed odd to me for one adult to ask another to just straight pay for his kid's stuff. I thought about it and recalled a couple times I've gotten this request over the last several years but I was just able to ignore them pretty easily (e.g. some guy I barely knew that did crossfit with me hitting me up for money for his kid's music instrument and lessons, receiving a group email about some former coworker's kid traveling somewhere for some club and needing money, etc.). Here, though, this is a good friend of mine and I feel obligated to respond at some point.

With all the above said, is this now a normal thing and I'm the ******* for thinking that the social contract here requires that in exchange for my money I get some item I probably don't even really want in return? Or, is my buddy the ******* for hitting me up to help him pay for his one of two kids when he knows I have four myself? For those of you without kids how would you react to this?

I'd do a poll here but apparently I cannot figure out the new format.

ETA: I figured out the poll.

I'd ask people to "buy" the fundraising goods but if I didn't make the coverage I'd just shell out of pocket.

Everyone with kids has some sort of activity with some sort of fundraiser that I just stopped asking and factored in the fundraising money into my 'team fees".

If a kids came to my house and asked for a donation I'd probably give them a few bucks. If a parent emailed or texted I'd probably just ignore it

This is why superbowl blocks make the easiest/best fundraiser

Related but unrelated; recently I noticed 2 different cars with messages on the rear window, one was "just married" and the other was something like "21st bday trip" and both had a venmo you could donate to. :lol: :rolleyes:

I have one rule for fundraising that I've told our family, neighbors, etc.....

The child in question has to come to me (in person or phone call) and explain the fundraiser and ask me for the money. I always pay, but they need to learn from the experience. In my opinion.

Related but unrelated; recently I noticed 2 different cars with messages on the rear window, one was "just married" and the other was something like "21st bday trip" and both had a venmo you could donate to. :lol: :rolleyes:
I’ve heard of a couple bachelorette parties doing the same thing. Apparently some of them have been pretty lucrative.

I’m officially old I guess- I rarely carry cash anymore, and I do Venmo to/from my kids on occasion, but I still have enough of a connection to “real” money that this is a foreign concept to me. Either that or I’m just a tightwad.

To answer the question - I’d happily buy crap from some fundraiser - no, I’m not just going to give you money.
Yeah, see this is sort of where I landed. I view this issue as something similar to like whether it's "cool" to buy a gift card for an office white elephant or just gift straight cash. You do the former because "we" have decided that's what you do. So, yeah, for my $20 please give me the ****ty Little Caesars home pizza kit that I may not even eat as opposed to just straight hitting me up.

The child in question has to come to me (in person or phone call) and explain the fundraiser and ask me for the money. I always pay, but they need to learn from the experience. In my opinion.
I think here if the kid asked me directly and explained the upcoming tournament or whatever I'd hand him whatever cash I had on me that was less than or equal to $20. But, I just thought it was odd my buddy (his dad) texted me basically just a fundraiser payment link.

I think here if the kid asked me directly and explained the upcoming tournament or whatever I'd hand him whatever cash I had on me that was less than or equal to $20. But, I just thought it was odd my buddy (his dad) texted me basically just a fundraiser payment link.
I think in this situation I wouldn't even say anything to your buddy. You don't owe him an explanation.

This is me too. I had my kids do that because they are the recipient and should do the work (within reason). I hated when people would put the "buy this thing" sign up sheet in the break room at work asking for people to sign themselves up. I never gave for those events (only exception was the candy bar for a couple bucks box - if I wanted a candy bar I would buy one but I saw that more as a vending machine).

I also hated the concept of my kid asking you for money and your kid asking me for money. With some better friends I just made the agreement that I wouldn't ask them if they didn't ask me and it worked just fine.

As far as fundraising just asking straight up for money it depends on what it is for. For example, we are trying to raise money for a new scoreboard. That I can understand. It's a tangible thing that you are fundraising for. Please support the program in their attempt to buy a new scoreboard. Any donation is good and tax deductible. That is fine to me. Asking for cash to support travel ball team XYZ with no specific goal, activity, product seems a bit off. I rarely contribute for those kind of things.

ETA: I voted no but I think I fall more on the "it depends" side of things. Like I said above, if it is for something specific (scoreboard, uniforms for school team, new dugouts) I would be willing to. If it's for a team trip (travel ball especially) then I likely wouldn't. Travel ball is a different situation to me than high school team. Travel ball should be self funded. You are choosing to do that separately and should pay what it costs. Selling Super Bowl squares or raffle tickets for a cord of wood or something like that is fine for travel ball. Straight money grab no. High School team fundraising for team things (uniforms, field improvements, etc) I would be more willing because that is more of an investment in the community. So my answer is "depends".

Last edited:
Shortly after reading this and voting "NO", I open up the local community Facebook group and see a plea for donations...

Please help support your local (insert school here) cheerleaders. They have large cheer expenses coming due and would appreciate anything to help offset these expenses. Your support will help us offer a higher quality experience for all participants.

There was a link provided to a fundraising page RAISE.SNAP.APP which basically appears to be GoFundMe type site. Their goal is listed as $4000. They have raised $285 so far, so some people will apparently just give.

Think about it this way. Someone comes by your cube/office at work and is selling candy bars. $2.00 and it supports your kids team going to nationals. Sounds great, right? Until you think about it and realize that $1.50 of that money is going to some money grubbing corporation that is simply exploiting a kid's team to make money, and $.50 is actually going to the team. And I think I'm being generous with the amounts there. Or, you could give that same kid $2.00 and the entire $2.00 goes to helping the team go to nationals. Which would you consider preferable? Did you REALLY care about that candy bar?

I never ask, but always pay. Except for the boy scouts. They ain't getting my cans. Girl scouts do it right.

Think about it this way. Someone comes by your cube/office at work and is selling candy bars. $2.00 and it supports your kids team going to nationals. Sounds great, right? Until you think about it and realize that $1.50 of that money is going to some money grubbing corporation that is simply exploiting a kid's team to make money, and $.50 is actually going to the team. And I think I'm being generous with the amounts there. Or, you could give that same kid $2.00 and the entire $2.00 goes to helping the team go to nationals. Which would you consider preferable? Did you REALLY care about that candy bar?
The candy bar thing is usually 50-50 for the profit. Still not great but not terrible.

hey guys, we're going to Mexico tomorrow and my kids will need to eat.

Please see my gofundmee site and kick in what you know you should. you know me. I'm a good guy. my kids will get hungry probably.... do you want that? they're good kids. and what am I- made of money? GIVE ME YOUR ****ING MONEY.
Gear it around a tennis tournament. You will get more donations.

it’s called the go fund me creep…..
it crept from “legitimate needs” to paying for funerals and now just send me money.

just my opinion, but a pet peeve of mine that i can’t stand.

My closest/oldest friend does not have children but has used this approach… and I have too.

He has always been generous for my daughter’s activities but want’s the elevator pitch. It has built her confidence in interview situations.

Buying stuff / car wash etc....? Sure

Cash grab? Not a chance.

Never understood how requesting/begging /demanding handouts are beneficial for children.

This is sound reasoning. But, and this is kind of the point of my thread, the social contract here is that you get something in return as an acknowledgement. It's the just the blatant "hey give my kid money so I don't have to pay for all of it" that seems off to me.

*You're not wrong as I learned from somebody high up in the girls scouts that the troop itself only gets like 10% or some pretty surprisingly low number.

Hell nope. I don't ask for you to pay for my kids stuff and you don't ask for me to pay for yours. Its simpler that way. Let's keep it simple
This is my strong preference, of course.

I think we even did this with girl scouts this year. My wife asked what a quota amount was for sales and we just paid the cash and took some of the cookies.

Last edited:

This is me too. I had my kids do that because they are the recipient and should do the work (within reason). I hated when people would put the "buy this thing" sign up sheet in the break room at work asking for people to sign themselves up. I never gave for those events (only exception was the candy bar for a couple bucks box - if I wanted a candy bar I would buy one but I saw that more as a vending machine).

I also hated the concept of my kid asking you for money and your kid asking me for money. With some better friends I just made the agreement that I wouldn't ask them if they didn't ask me and it worked just fine.

As far as fundraising just asking straight up for money it depends on what it is for. For example, we are trying to raise money for a new scoreboard. That I can understand. It's a tangible thing that you are fundraising for. Please support the program in their attempt to buy a new scoreboard. Any donation is good and tax deductible. That is fine to me. Asking for cash to support travel ball team XYZ with no specific goal, activity, product seems a bit off. I rarely contribute for those kind of things.

ETA: I voted no but I think I fall more on the "it depends" side of things. Like I said above, if it is for something specific (scoreboard, uniforms for school team, new dugouts) I would be willing to. If it's for a team trip (travel ball especially) then I likely wouldn't. Travel ball is a different situation to me than high school team. Travel ball should be self funded. You are choosing to do that separately and should pay what it costs. Selling Super Bowl squares or raffle tickets for a cord of wood or something like that is fine for travel ball. Straight money grab no. High School team fundraising for team things (uniforms, field improvements, etc) I would be more willing because that is more of an investment in the community. So my answer is "depends".
So your post sparked me to go back in my texts and look at the texts. It simply says, "Hello, this is [name of buddy's kid] from the [name of traveling baseball team]. I am raising money for our upcoming season. Please click [link] to help me reach my goal of $500."

So, yeah, it seems very much like the bold. I also know of this team and that it's a big deal and it's undoubtedly expensive and probably does go to uniforms, equipment, and travel costs but, and I say this as a guy who played every sport under the sun as a kid and my parents spent probably way more on them than I ever realized, isn't it kind of on the parents who choose to have their respective kid play on this expensive travel team pay for it??

I think what mostly bothers me is that my buddy knows I got four kids of my own and I'm "doing my part" by paying for them and I really shouldn't be expected to directly support other people's kids (as I've never asked them to support mine).

What remains interesting to me here is that if the donation just came with some sort of ****ty food product I'm oddly good with it.

So your post sparked me to go back in my texts and look at the texts. It simply says, "Hello, this is [name of buddy's kid] from the [name of traveling baseball team]. I am raising money for our upcoming season. Please click [link] to help me reach my goal of $500."
This is a no for me. You signed up for the travel team. That has costs. Asking for $500 is kind of cheesy. I wouldn't do this. Like I said earlier, I don't mind givnig a donation to a high school program because it is a community thing. Nice facilities is good for the community. It's good for all the kids. Travel ball is a money grab for most of the organizations and is just for those kids specifically on the team. If you want that great. Then you pay for it. Don't ask me to pay for it. I have my own kids sports teams to pay for.

What kind of candy bars? Not that it should matter but it might to some people.

Another thing I would maybe do - depending on the friend and his kid and how well I know them. Tell the kid I’ll pay him to do some stuff around my house - nothing major, just something to help earn it. While me and his Dad drink beer and shoot the ****.

Had a friend who did that GoFundMe I am going on vacation, and why not buy me a drink in Amsterdam? Or maybe some authentic tacos in Olde Mexico? Follow my blog :sick:

That was cringy and embarrassing, and I don't want to remotely contribute to that becoming a normal thing to do.

Who voted yes
I was a yes, admittedly, without reading the entire post (working). I was thinking of it more as a special event or fundraiser.

In high school, I was on a crew team on the west coast. We had an unexpected exceptional season and as it was coming to an end our coach presented the idea of trying to get out to Boston for a regatta on the Charles (we performed well again college teams: Berkeley and Stanford), we were trying to raise funds but didn't quite have the time to do it. While i do not love asking for cash (prefer to provide a service or goods), i would not be offended if asked. We may never know the full circumstances for the direct ask.

it’s called the go fund me creep…..
it crept from “legitimate needs” to paying for funerals and now just send me money.

just my opinion, but a pet peeve of mine that i can’t stand.
Also a pet peeve of mine. In particular when the gofundme is set up within minutes of the tragedy. Like let the family grieve for five minutes before we turn this into a monetary competition. I realize that most people have good intentions, but still annoying that this is how we show sympathy in 2023.

I’m a no. But if a kid I know comes over and presents a good case. I’ll throw him some cash.

There’s a pair of adorable little girls in my neighborhood that come around trying to sell all sorts of stuff/junk. I always give them money. But only after fierce negotiations which involve me not taking whatever it is they’re selling.

Who voted yes
I was a yes, admittedly, without reading the entire post (working). I was thinking of it more as a special event or fundraiser.

In high school, I was on a crew team on the west coast. We had an unexpected exceptional season and as it was coming to an end our coach presented the idea of trying to get out to Boston for a regatta on the Charles (we performed well again college teams: Berkeley and Stanford), we were trying to raise funds but didn't quite have the time to do it. While i do not love asking for cash (prefer to provide a service or goods), i would not be offended if asked. We may never know the full circumstances for the direct ask.
I believe, at least in terms of the example I provided, that I provided full circumstances. Is there any other significant relevant information that you believe is missing?

I’m a no. But if a kid I know comes over and presents a good case. I’ll throw him some cash.

There’s a pair of adorable little girls in my neighborhood that come around trying to sell all sorts of stuff/junk. I always give them money. But only after fierce negotiations which involve me not taking whatever it is they’re selling.
For sure and I view this as a different situation.

Who voted yes

I believe, at least in terms of the example I provided, that I provided full circumstances. Is there any other significant relevant information that you believe is missing?
I am working and not in a position to read the full post, so cannot comment if information is omitted.

I have no issue with people asking for $$ in general unless they are lazy.

The kid needs to make some sort of effort.
Eh, in this case the kid is like 9 or 10 and leaves a couple of hours away. I suppose the only real shark move here is for my friend to call me and then put the kid on - I'm likely straight donating then.

Eh, in this case the kid is like 9 or 10 and leaves a couple of hours away. I suppose the only real shark move here is for my friend to call me and then put the kid on - I'm likely straight donating then.
PM me your number when you can. My kid also has some **** they'd like to do.
I mean I know the kid well and he's too young to know to "make some sort of effort."

I mean I know the kid well and he's too young to know to "make some sort of effort."
Mine is 7, she loves unicorns and the color blue and she doesn't use a nightlight. Good enough?

Mine is 7, she loves unicorns and the color blue and she doesn't use a nightlight. Good enough?

Users who are viewing this thread