What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rapist Gets Slap On Wrist From Judge (1 Viewer)

GroveDiesel

Footballguy
Surprised to not see a thread on this. A student athlete at Stanford was given 6 months in the local jail (which will probably end up being 3) and probation for raping a girl. The judge didn't want to give the guy a longer sentence because he didn't want to negatively affect the guy's future. Nevermind the girl that he drugged, brutally raped behind a dumpster and was left naked and unconscious behind the dumpster. And ########'s DB dad defended his son by saying his son is so horribly upset by the whole thing and he shouldn't be made to lose too much "for just 20 minutes of action."

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/06/us/sexual-assault-brock-turner-stanford/index.html

I'm sure DB dad would feel the same way towards the attacker if his son had been anally raped behind a dumpster by some guy and left naked and unconscious.

he wasnt convicted of rape and he is currently appealing and there is a strong chance he walks

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a terrible outcome.  I am mortified how poor of a job some of these judges do at thier job.  

Did he drug her? I thought she was just extremely drunk. As was he (no excuse). Also, 2 students caught him in the act and he bolted. They chased him down. :hifive:

Did he drug her? I thought she was just extremely drunk. As was he (no excuse). Also, 2 students caught him in the act and he bolted. They chased him down. :hifive:
She wasnt drugged.  They did a rape kit and tested her blood at the hospital.  She did have a BAC 3x the legal limit. 

There's not really any need to exaggerate this guy's crime. He didn't drug her, she was just extremely drunk, and he didn't brutally rape her, he fingerbanged her behind a dumpster while she was unconscious. That being said, there is no telling what would have happened if the 2 cyclists hadn't stopped him. I would have no problem with this ##### spending years behind bars, or taking a shotgun blast or two to the kneecaps.

Is sexua

He was convicted of sexual assault, and I very seriously doubt he walks.  He was found by two eyewitnesses violating an unconscious woman. 
Is sexual assault less severe than rape?  I read he was fingering her.  Still very bad, but I assume actually having sex with her would been worse.  He likely was about to have sex with her anyways.

He was convicted of sexual assault, and I very seriously doubt he walks.  He was found by two eyewitnesses violating an unconscious woman. 
Didnt they give two conflicting accounts, one time they said he was screwing her, then dry humping her then fingering her?

Also the prosecution's decision to try Brock as 'the face of campus sexual assault' isn't trying Brock, it is trying a social issue with lots of implications beyond his own guilt and innocence. It is possible that a reviewing Court overturns the conviction on those grounds alone.

Surprised to not see a thread on this. A student athlete at Stanford was given 6 months in the local jail (which will probably end up being 3) and probation for raping a girl. The judge didn't want to give the guy a longer sentence because he didn't want to negatively affect the guy's future. Nevermind the girl that he drugged, brutally raped behind a dumpster and was left naked and unconscious behind the dumpster. And ########'s DB dad defended his son by saying his son is so horribly upset by the whole thing and he shouldn't be made to lose too much "for just 20 minutes of action."

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/06/us/sexual-assault-brock-turner-stanford/index.html

I'm sure DB dad would feel the same way towards the attacker if his son had been anally raped behind a dumpster by some guy and left naked and unconscious.
Humble bragging on his son?

Didnt they give two conflicting accounts, one time they said he was screwing her, then dry humping her then fingering her?

Also the prosecution's decision to try Brock as 'the face of campus sexual assault' isn't trying Brock, it is trying a social issue with lots of implications beyond his own guilt and innocence. It is possible that a reviewing Court overturns the conviction on those grounds alone.
Conflicting to what?  Turner never argued that it wasn't him with her.  Is it really conflicting to not be able to tell if a guy is inside or dry humping an unconscious woman behind a dumpster? 

No, it really isn't.  A jury of Turner's peers found that he performed a sexual act without the victim's consent.  This is a question for the trier of fact and the leeway for an appellate court to overturn a factual finding is incredibly narrow. 

There are a lot of people on Facebook who hold surprisingly strong positions on what punishment would have been appropriate even though they hadn't heard a single minute of testimony or argument in the case.

The statement from the victim is worth reading, though.

Is sexua

Is sexual assault less severe than rape?  I read he was fingering her.  Still very bad, but I assume actually having sex with her would been worse.  He likely was about to have sex with her anyways.
No, not worse. It's pretty binary to me. 

There are a lot of people on Facebook who hold surprisingly strong positions on what punishment would have been appropriate even though they hadn't heard a single minute of testimony or argument in the case.

Aren't we allowed to rely on the facts the jury found? 

That is a terrible outcome.  I am mortified how poor of a job some of these judges do at thier job.  
Judge in Stanford sex assault case called fair, respected

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — A judge who sentenced a former Stanford University swimmer to six months in jail for sexually assaulting an unconscious woman used to play lacrosse at the school a few miles down the road from his courtroom, where attorneys said Monday that he is respected and fair. ....

The local prosecutor disagreed with the sentence, arguing for six years for crimes that could have sent Turner to prison for 10 years. But lawyers who have appeared in Persky's court call him a fair and conservative judge in the county in the heart of Silicon Valley.

"He is an absolutely solid and respected judge," said Santa Clara County deputy public defender Gary Goodman. "Persky made the right decision."

Barbara Muller, a criminal defense attorney who works two weeks a month in Persky's court, says he "is definitely one of the fairest judges" in the county.

"He considers all facts and is very thorough," Muller said. "He plays it right down the middle."

The judge is barred from commenting on the case because Turner is appealing his conviction, court spokesman Joe Macaluso said.

Some are urging for his recall in Change.org petitions, and Stanford University law professor Michele Dauber, a friend of the victim, launched a campaign to remove Persky from the bench. Dauber didn't return phone calls and email inquiries from The Associated Press seeking comment Monday.

But Santa Clara County District Attorney Jeff Rosen, whose office argued for a prison sentence for Turner, said Persky should not lose his job because of the ruling.

"While I strongly disagree with the sentence that Judge Persky issued in the Brock Turner case, I do not believe he should be removed from his judgeship," Rosen said in a statement Monday. His office would not comment further.

Persky, who has no record of judicial discipline, was previously a Santa Clara County prosecutor responsible for keeping sexual predators locked up.   Democratic Gov. Gray Davis appointed him to the bench in 2003.

You're a strange guy. 

Conflicting to what?  Turner never argued that it wasn't him with her.  Is it really conflicting to not be able to tell if a guy is inside or dry humping an unconscious woman behind a dumpster? 

No, it really isn't.  A jury of Turner's peers found that he performed a sexual act without the victim's consent.  This is a question for the trier of fact and the leeway for an appellate court to overturn a factual finding is incredibly narrow. 
Hey man I agree with you, he got convicted and sentenced.  He did a bad thing.   I am just saying there is a chance that this could get overturned.  His lawyer is the one that got Barry Bonds conviction overturned. He knows what he is doing. 

I think Brock probably should have gotten a year in the pen but not the predator tag.   In some cases (like this one) I think that is pretty inhumane. 

Hey man I agree with you, he got convicted and sentenced.  He did a bad thing.   I am just saying there is a chance that this could get overturned.  His lawyer is the one that got Barry Bonds conviction overturned. He knows what he is doing. 

I think Brock probably should have gotten a year in the pen but not the predator tag.   In some cases (like this one) I think that is pretty inhumane. 
You mean taking an unconscious girl behind a dumpster, sexually assaulting her, and then trying to run away when bystanders stumble upon you? Sounds like a predator to me.

I don't think a Cliff's Notes really does the victim's impact statement justice.  It is long (12 pages), but extraordinary.  Well worth the read.

If there is a dominating theme, it's the victim's insistence that Turner still doesn't acknowledge the gravity of his crime.  He views his mistake as participating in "binge drinking and hookup culture."  She (and those angered by the sentence) think it's far more than that.

Last edited by a moderator:

The FFA never ceases to amaze me. A 19 year old having consensual sex with a 17 year old doesn't deserve a predator tag. A dude assaulting a passed out girl behind a dumpster is the very definition of a predator.

I don't think a Cliff's Notes really does the victim's impact statement justice.  It is long (12 pages), but extraordinary.  Well worth the read.

If there is a dominating theme, it's the victim's insistence that Turner still doesn't acknowledge the gravity of his crime.  He views his mistake as participating in "binge drinking and hookup culture."  She (and those angered by the verdict) think it's far more than that.
I stumbled onto the full text of the victim's speech on Sunday morning, someone had retweeted it and it came across my Twitter feed.  I couldn't put it down and read it start to finish.  Absolutely heartbreaking and sad and disgusting and horrifying all at once.  It is definitely worth a read.  

You mean taking an unconscious girl behind a dumpster, sexually assaulting her, and then trying to run away when bystanders stumble upon you? Sounds like a predator to me.
We can agree to disagree.  Make him do time and be done with it.  I think given him a modern day Scarlett letter where he can never work again, never date normally, never have neighbors that arent judgemental of him etc

thats just me though

If there is a dominating theme, it's the victim's insistence that Turner still doesn't acknowledge the gravity of his crime.  He views his mistake as participating in "binge drinking and hookup culture."  She (and those angered by the verdict) think it's far more than that.
And also the fact that when people stumbled upon him raping her, he ran away. Because he knew that she was unconscious and unable to give any consent to what he was doing to her. He was plenty aware of what HE was doing and still blamed it on her drinking too much alcohol.

Cliff's notes on the logistics of this?

Did he carry her back there when she was already unconscious?  Did they go back there together and then she passed out?  Was he already finger blasting her when she passed out?

Given that he ran away when someone found him I'm guessing it wasn't the last of those.

Aren't we allowed to rely on the facts the jury found? 
If you just mean the guilty verdict (assuming there isn't a criminal equivalent of a special verdict with a bunch of detailed factual findings that people on Facebook are privy to), I think we should accept that he's factually guilty of the charges he was found legally guilty of (unless we have a good reason not to, which most of us probably don't). But the judge is supposed to take a bunch of factors into account besides just that, isn't he? I mean, I don't even know how much discretion he actually has, or what factors he is supposed to consider under whatever statute is relevant. My suspicion is that most people on Facebook don't, either.

I'm not defending the judge. For all I know, it was a horrible sentence. But I really don't know. I wouldn't feel comfortable taking a position either way without being able to consider the same kinds of things that the judge is supposed to consider, and I don't know how I'm supposed to do that without hearing any testimony or argument. The bulk of my Facebook friends evidently don't have those same reservations.

Cliff's notes on the logistics of this?

Did he carry her back there when she was already unconscious?  Did they go back there together and then she passed out?  Was he already finger blasting her when she passed out?

Given that he ran away when someone found him I'm guessing it wasn't the last of those.
He says (she says she cannot remember anything that night) they were dancing, kissing, hooking up, left to go hook up more, he asked to finger her she said yes and the two guys come up on them.  Totally his story.

I don't have a facebook but I think a good question to pose would be "if this same girl was that drunk and fell into a gorilla pit and the gorilla was finger blasting her, would you condone shooting the gorilla?"
Do the Swedes still ride their bikes past?

Jeremy Stevens did almost the exact same thing and his university covered it up.  Shows how much colleges care about swimmers.

We can agree to disagree.  Make him do time and be done with it.  I think given him a modern day Scarlett letter where he can never work again, never date normally, never have neighbors that arent judgemental of him etc

thats just me though
Well I agree but think there shouldn't be a sexual registry at all. Same would go for all people convicted of a sexual crime. Once they've served their time, no need for the scarlet A.

Well I agree but think there shouldn't be a sexual registry at all. Same would go for all people convicted of a sexual crime. Once they've served their time, no need for the scarlet A.
That's exactly what a sex offender would say.

Yep.  I read this story this weekend and was disgusted by it.  I'm not quite sure how he got off with such a small sentence and I wonder if the sentence is able to be appealed by her.

I don't have a facebook but I think a good question to pose would be "if this same girl was that drunk and fell into a gorilla pit and the gorilla was finger blasting her, would you condone shooting the gorilla?"
You think that is a good question?  I'd put this and the Trump joke attempt as total failures.

I understand tl;dr, but I think you really need to take the time to read her whole statement to get it.  Cliff notes won't do it justice.

Even among pedophiles?  Pedophiles have high recidivism rates, and it's wise to put parents on notice in advance since children often can't read signals and can be easily manipulated by pedophiles.

Pessimism About Pedophilia (Harvard Health Publications)

Fears about predatory behavior are valid. Most pedophiles who act on their impulses do so by manipulating children and gradually desensitizing them to inappropriate behavior. Then they escalate it. Pedophiles are able to do this because in most cases they already know the children or have access to them. In about 60% to 70% of child sexual abuse cases involving pedophiles, the perpetrator is a relative, neighbor, family friend, teacher, coach, clergyman, or someone else in regular contact with the child. Strangers are less likely to sexually abuse children — although they are more likely to commit violent assaults when they do.

Estimates of recidivism vary because studies define this term in different ways. One review found recidivism rates of 10% to 50% among pedophiles previously convicted of sexual abuse, although this could include anything from an arrest for any offense to reconviction on a crime against a child. One long-term study of previously convicted pedophiles (with an average follow-up of 25 years) found that one-fourth of heterosexual pedophiles and one-half of homosexual or bisexual pedophiles went on to commit another sexual offense against children.

Yeah, this is a really weird thing to me. REALLY weird. Internet people are effing insane. 

thats just me though
Yes, it is.  I'm the father of a son and a daughter - both about this same age.  Kid deserves far worse than he's getting and the father is a total DB for trying to paint the attacker as a "victim".  If this was a black kid in Chicago, nobody would flinch at a 10 year sentence. If some 20 year old dragged my daughter behind a dumpster and pulled her clothes off, I'd kill him myself.  Six friggin' months is a joke just so "he isn't too harmed".  He's a rapist - plain and simple.

Yeah, this is a really weird thing to me. REALLY weird. Internet people are effing insane. 
You really think it's insane for people to be exorcised over someone convicted of sexually assaulting a unconscious woman getting sentenced to six months?  Those are the facts that pretty much everyone on Facebook knows.  What countervailing facts should change their opinion?  When people have tried to answer this elsewhere on the internet, they keep coming back to the fact that the victim was drunk, but again the jury found that the victim did not consent.  And that was their determination to make.  Not the judge's. 

Users who are viewing this thread