What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Girl sitting next to me on flight pukes in bag twice (1 Viewer)

I was once on a flight from Oakland back down to Orange County, CA where a dad and son were sitting next to me. Dad was on aisle, kid was in the middle, I was of course in my usual window seat. Kid ate something, had something to drink and then booted everywhere. I think I managed to miss getting booted on directly but it was basically everywhere else. I think it was Southwest or Alaska and the flight attendants were all over it, and got me up and out of the mess and I got to sit in one of their "jump seats" for the remainder of the flight. The flight attendants were totally flirting with me the rest of the trip, too. So... wasn't a terrible experience altogether. :lol:

I feel bad for the girl and for you in this situation. Feel better.
Thank you very much. I have to go to a memorial service on Sunday. I'm hoping not to be sick.
Norovirus is usually a 24 hour thing. You should be ok by Sunday. Stay hydrated
I felt crappy on Tuesday. Now it's Friday. Pressure in upper abdomen. Nausea. Fatigue. Slight Fever. No diarrhea though. The opposite actually. Haven't pooped yet since landing.
Hmmmm...definitely atypical for noro.
A little sore throat too that has gotten worse since this morning. What else could she have had that would make her vomit that wasn't noro? I got a flu shot a few months ago.
Many infections can cause GI distress, including influenza and SARS-CoV-2. Or maybe she's getting blamed for a crime she didn't commit, as it sounds like you were around a bunch of other sick people?

And norovirus doesn't cause sore throat, independent from irritation post-vomiting.
After the flight I've been around other people in the house who have been coughing but don't say they're sick. Is it possible I have norovirus in addition to an upper respiratory illness?

There's one particular relative in the house who claims she is not sick but has sucked down about 80 cough drops since I've been here.

I flew from Cape Town to London and spent 3/4 of the flight in the toilet puking and ****ting. 12 hours. Pretty sure it was food poisoning. Pretty much an open faucet on both ends.

Had an 8 hour layover in London then another 10 hour flight to Seattle. By that time I was emptied out so just laid in my seat.

In top 5 of most miserable experiences of my life.
Now this sounds like norovirus!
When it hit, it fast!
Yep. It's like that scene from The Meaning of Life, but on a toilet.
Seriously. I was sitting on the thrown and hugging the sink. Never experienced anything like this in my life.

I had hiked Table Mountain in the morning and was feeling on top of the world. Got back to the hotel and there was some rumblings then at the airport was running for the john. By the time I got on to the plane it was fire hydrant mode.
100% norovirus. I've had it a couple times, including once after a hospital employee Christmas party. Like half our office got sick.

Fun fact: certain blood types (O) are more susceptible.

I flew from Cape Town to London and spent 3/4 of the flight in the toilet puking and ****ting. 12 hours. Pretty sure it was food poisoning. Pretty much an open faucet on both ends.

Had an 8 hour layover in London then another 10 hour flight to Seattle. By that time I was emptied out so just laid in my seat.

Now this sounds like norovirus!
When it hit, it fast!
Yep. It's like that scene from The Meaning of Life, but on a toilet.
Seriously. I was sitting on the thrown and hugging the sink. Never experienced anything like this in my life.

I had hiked Table Mountain in the morning and was feeling on top of the world. Got back to the hotel and there was some rumblings then at the airport was running for the john. By the time I got on to the plane it was fire hydrant mode.
100% norovirus. I've had it a couple times, including once after a hospital employee Christmas party. Like half our office got sick.

Fun fact: certain blood types (O) are more susceptible.
I never want that again was truly awful.

Thank you very much. I have to go to a memorial service on Sunday. I'm hoping not to be sick.
I felt crappy on Tuesday. Now it's Friday. Pressure in upper abdomen. Nausea. Fatigue. Slight Fever. No diarrhea though. The opposite actually. Haven't pooped yet since landing.
A little sore throat too that has gotten worse since this morning. What else could she have had that would make her vomit that wasn't noro? I got a flu shot a few months ago.
My guess is you got sick from someone else.
I literally breathed in her puke spray. I left this out of the original story but there is like a 30%-40% chance that I felt a droplet of vomit hit my bottom lip. I didn't want to say it because it's so gross and I'm not 100% sure that it actually happened but in the moment she puked the second time I really felt like something hit my bottom lip and it had to be flying puke. If someone else got me sick and it wasn't her I mean wow that would be pretty crazy that I would have avoided getting sick from actually ingesting vomit and just happened to be next to somebody else who had a different illness that got me.
🤮

Many infections can cause GI distress, including influenza and SARS-CoV-2. Or maybe she's getting blamed for a crime she didn't commit, as it sounds like you were around a bunch of other sick people?

And norovirus doesn't cause sore throat, independent from irritation post-vomiting.
After the flight I've been around other people in the house who have been coughing but don't say they're sick. Is it possible I have norovirus in addition to an upper respiratory illness?
Sure, it's possible. But Occam's razor suggest it's more likely to be a single illness.

Evidence supporting norovirus: It can be spread through vomitus, and is highly contagious. Incubation time is short.

Evidence against: Usually a lot of upper and lower GI symptoms, which resolve in a couple days, at most. No upper respiratory symptoms/sore throat.

From a practical standpoint, it doesn't matter, as noro- and other viruses on the differential are all just treated symptomatically (you're too late to treat flu or covid with antivirals). You probably should mask around other people for the time being, be extra diligent with hand hygiene and not prepare others' food for a few days. And if you have a covid test, it's not absurd to use it.

If you develop fever >101, or your symptoms escalate over the weekend, consider seeing a healthcare provider.

And people wonder why i won't get on a commercial airplane these days...

-Barf Bag twice and a dog in my aisle? Emergency landing at the nearest city please
-Happy to parachute out the back as well.

MoP and airports don't mix well these days.
Suspension of Disbelief, the security, the travelers, the "uniformed crew members" and even the bar staffs in the terminals are highly questionable

I loved you in mean girls.

So, just to be clear, the sick woman with a dog was sitting in both the window seat and the aisle seat...sort of like an electron passing though both slits simultaneously.
Haha. Okay I see I said aisle seat a total of four times when I actually meant to say window seat. Wow I was really out of it when I wrote that. I just woken up and really not feeling well. Sorry for the confusion. She was in the window seat. I was in the aisle seat. Nothing in the middle seat.
Just messing with you, GB. It is obvious what you meant from the sequence of events, but this wouldn't be the FFA if we didn't poke a little fun at each other.

That would be nightmarish for me. Probably norovirus. GL WN.
Isn't norovirus the same as stomach flu? Looks like it's supposed to go away and 1 to 3 days. I definitely feel like crap. Not vomiting though. Yet.
Typical incubation is 12-48 hours, causing both nausea/vomiting and diarrhea in adults +/- cramps, low grade temp. Usually resolves in less than 24 hours.

But it is incredibly contagious, and you can reinfect yourself (and others), if not fastidious with hygiene after the fire hose of barf/diarrhea runs its course.
My kid had it a few weeks ago. Not sure how I avoided it given I was sleeping with him, he was on top of me and my pillow, and at one point I was holding a bucket that he was puking in while simultaneously having diarrhea.

Isn't norovirus the same as stomach flu? Looks like it's supposed to go away and 1 to 3 days. I definitely feel like crap. Not vomiting though. Yet.
Typical incubation is 12-48 hours, causing both nausea/vomiting and diarrhea in adults +/- cramps, low grade temp. Usually resolves in less than 24 hours.

But it is incredibly contagious, and you can reinfect yourself (and others), if not fastidious with hygiene after the fire hose of barf/diarrhea runs its course.
My kid had it a few weeks ago. Not sure how I avoided it given I was sleeping with him, he was on top of me and my pillow, and at one point I was holding a bucket that he was puking in while simultaneously having diarrhea.
Blood type B?

I would think this would be your #1 most miserable experience!

Damn! what were the other 4?

when my kid was little, she had rotavirus? we put down plastic sheeting, ala dexter, it was so bad. i got it too. wife with weird A- blood was fine.

The one saving grace was at the time my work had a rule that if you flew international you got first class, even for lowly peons like me.

So I was in first class British Airways In my own little pod thing on the plane. If not sick this would have been truly amazing. In London I was in their super baller lounge in the airport where they had these sleeping rooms you could reserve and they had an open one so I was able to lay in that thing. When I came out to get ready for the next flight Jeremy Irons was in the lobby area and was oddly wearing like equestrian riding clothes. I may have been hallucinating that but I am 99% certain it really happened.

I honestly don’t know what would have happened if I was in coach. If they would have not let me board. Looking back I should have just stayed in Cape Town but it would have been a fiasco with work. Was definitely a bad idea to be on the plane and I felt bad for the other people but I was too sick to care at the time.

Last edited:

The one saving grace was at the time my work had a rule that if you flew international you got first class, even for lowly peons like me.

So I was in first class British Airways In my own little pod thing on the plane. If not sick this would have been truly amazing. In London I was in their super baller lounge in the airport where they had these sleeping rooms you could reserve and they had an open one so I was able to lay in that thing. When I came out to get ready for the next flight Jeremy Irons was in the lobby area and was oddly wearing like equestrian riding clothes. I may have been hallucinating that but I am 99% certain it really happened.

I honestly don’t know what would have happened if I was in coach. If they would have not let me board. Looking back I should have just stayed in Cape Town but it would have been a fiasco with work. Was definitely a bad idea to be on the plane and I felt bad for the other people but I was too sick to care at the time.
I was in coach, but just had diarrhea. Noro’s proclivity for creating a fire hose at both ends would be horrific in an airplane toilet, even a first class one.

Still a top 3 terrible experience for me, after holding my pet kitty getting euthanized, and the extremely bumpy sled ride down mountain, after I had broken my leg skiing.

I know, how about a nice pork sandwich, served in a greasy ashtray?

I’ve used this my entire life and I’m pretty sure you are the only other person I’ve ever heard reference it. Literally dozens of times and nobody has ever gotten it.

:kicksrock:
Chet should get the reference.
Maybe the penny stock he kept pushing can fix Willie? That miracle drug cured Covid, while also netting some sweet rims for the lambo.

Last edited:
It has been about a week and a half since my flight. Here is an update.

So I had mild stomach issues from about wednesday to friday last week. Maybe a little fever. No puking or runs. By friday night my stomach felt fine. I think I mentioned before i had some throat/cough symptoms pop up around this time. Sitting here now on thursday night, 10 days after my flight, I have a full blown cough/sore throat thing. Really bad cough that's worse at night. My right ear has been completely clogged up for the last few days. This morning I woke up with my left eye crusted shut. When I got it open I saw i had a pretty good case of pinkeye in that eye. I called my doctor who recommended some over the counter stuff but didn't seem too wildly concerned. I took a covid test today just in case that was negative. I'm still not home and had to push back my return flight for reasons not related to illness.

Anyway, that's about it. I had to travel for a funeral and it's been a lousy week and half. Feeling crappy not helping. Just wanted to pop in to the forum and feel a little normal, if only for a few minutes. It's good to be back and thanks for reading.

I was on a flight from Las Vegas into Denver in the early 2000's and had to be about 10% of the passengers threw up. Hit some really bad turbulence over the mountains about an hour from landing and once a few people popped they started going off like crazy. Mostly was the stench of the vomit that got most. It got so bad I had to sit with my head down and my nose covered in my shirt while constantly swallowing to stop from being sick.

this was one of our staples in HS. :hifive:
I know he was supposed to be the insufferable evil brother, but oh my god, Chet was the best thing in that movie by a country mile, RIP BIll Paxton.

Bar scenes were my favorites with fats
100% agree. "The girl she had these...."
She broke more than your heart!
On the telephone?

I know he was supposed to be the insufferable evil brother, but oh my god, Chet was the best thing in that movie by a country mile, RIP BIll Paxton.

On the telephone?
Every damn night?!

we call that a cleveland thursday night around here take that to the bank brohan

In the family jewels!

The pinkeye has spread to the other eye.
That’s actually more closely associated with viral, as opposed to bacterial eye infection. Thanks good because the former doesn’t require antibiotics. The most common cause is adenovirus, which can cause upper respiratory and gastrointestinal symptoms too.
Doctor told me to take Delsym for the cough. Not coughing as much today so seems to be helping.

I know, how about a nice pork sandwich, served in a greasy ashtray?

@chet
I’ve used this my entire life and I’m pretty sure you are the only other person I’ve ever heard reference it. Literally dozens of times and nobody has ever gotten it.

:kicksrock:
Don't think I don't know that I messed the line up. Greasy pork sandwich, dirty ashtray.

Thanks for not calling me out
I was honesty so excited somebody else knew it I didn’t even notice. :lmao:
I got it.

Users who are viewing this thread