What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***** Official Westworld Thread ***** (1 Viewer)

I think it's underground maybe.  Or on an island.
I don't think underground.  Delos is the mythological island where Apollo was born in Greek mythology so island could work - maybe even metaphorically if by island it's some kind of space station (going with the decompression statement).

Could also be on earth itself after mankind no longer lives there for a dystopian twist.

Sweet! I'm traveling tomorrow.  Guess I just found one thing to keep me occupied :)

Thanks for the heads up, Hulk! 

Hmm. I don't see it out there.

eta: but then I don't have HBO etc. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
i watched it again last night and you're right.   Although there is something about Ted that's telling, you see it when he focuses in on Dolores about to be raped in the barn and then later when he takes the dudes to the brothel, he's looking off into the distance, hearing what the humans are saying about using him for target practice.  That scene made me think he's learning/remembering/analyzing data.

You were also right about the guy in black, on second viewing, he's definitely human.  

I defintely think watching it twice is almost necessary to try to figure out all the mind ####### that's going on here.    I'm hooked
They explain that the most recent "software update" has given the hosts "reveries" which allow them to access specific memories and also exhibit more human gestures. This is what will ultimately doom Westworld.

Watched ep2. Its crazy. Going to have to watch it again to let it all sink in. They're sprinting down the rabbit hole as fast as they can go. 

2 episodes in - still not sure Beetee is human.
which one is Beetee?

I"m finding myself wondering about all of them.

but yeah- I"ll need to watch ep2 again. unlike ep1 where they spelled everything out pretty clearly, I had a difficult time seeing the arcs this time.. which is great. I was tired- so maybe it was as clear as ep1 and I just missed everything.

This is a weird thing to say, but the hardest part of watching the show for me is reconciling that they're not real. Like watching the Maeve scenes with the indians chasing her... on one hand, my eyes are telling me to feel for her and be afraid for her, but my brain is telling me she's a robot so who cares.  It's probably exactly what they're wanting from a story telling perspective, but it's also having an effect on my passive viewing experience as well. 

which one is Beetee?

I"m finding myself wondering about all of them.

but yeah- I"ll need to watch ep2 again. unlike ep1 where they spelled everything out pretty clearly, I had a difficult time seeing the arcs this time.. which is great. I was tired- so maybe it was as clear as ep1 and I just missed everything.
Beetee is Bernard (aka Jeffrey Wright) - he was Beetee in Hunger Games

This is a weird thing to say, but the hardest part of watching the show for me is reconciling that they're not real. Like watching the Maeve scenes with the indians chasing her... on one hand, my eyes are telling me to feel for her and be afraid for her, but my brain is telling me she's a robot so who cares.  It's probably exactly what they're wanting from a story telling perspective, but it's also having an effect on my passive viewing experience as well. 
I think someone else mentioned this up-thread, but it really comes down to what makes an act "evil" the actor or the victim?  I get the sense that the message they are going to hammer is that the "guests" are generally evil people wanting to fulfill these "fantasies" against life-like bots.    I assume that the hat choice is symbolic of choosing good v. evil.

I am intrigued with Ed Harris' character - I had assumed after the first episode that he might have been going for corporate espionage, but now I wonder if he is going after the game makers for something that might have happened away from the park - i.e. a guest left the park and murdered a family member in real life,  or some such thing.

I definitely enjoyed the pilot, which was really well done.  I hope, perhaps against my better judgment, that they resist the temptation to pull the "this writer/programmer/security guy was a Host all along!" twist.  After Battelstar Galactica and Dollhouse, it's beyond clichéd.  And I actually think there's plenty to work with without necessarily needing a ton of twists (I get that Ed Harris' arc appears to be a mystery).

I definitely enjoyed the pilot, which was really well done.  I hope, perhaps against my better judgment, that they resist the temptation to pull the "this writer/programmer/security guy was a Host all along!" twist.  After Battelstar Galactica and Dollhouse, it's beyond clichéd.  And I actually think there's plenty to work with without necessarily needing a ton of twists (I get that Ed Harris' arc appears to be a mystery).
I hear you about having been done before, but I like the theme... wouldn't bother me if one or all of the staff were synthetic.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out.  But, I imagine you need quite a few twists in a show like this - once the Bots gain self-awareness and seek revenge - where do you go from there?  At the pace they are moving - killing a fly -> knowingly finding a loaded gun -> ? -> ?  not too many steps before a guest is killed.

We are still missing large chunks of the plot - where does management see the park going?  What is Ford's background, and why is he altering the code, and what is his story line idea? 

Man in Black is probably the main story arc this season - figuring out his end game.

yeah- wright's the one I have my eye on... mostly because of how anthony hopkins talks to him and the comment from the hunter in ep1 about him not having a family- seemed loaded.
He was looking at a picture of a kid though last night, in his living quarters - right?

He was looking at a picture of a kid though last night, in his living quarters - right?
true. but like blade runner, could be an implanted memory or prop. it's what's great right now- so early on- guessing at what's real and what's not. that's charged by the guests constantly talking about the hosts not being real to their faces.

with the flashbacks the hosts are having, my wife thought that maybe the hosts consciousness had been stolen/implanted from actual people.

and- that little boy is a synth version of child-ford... I think.

and the closing scene about the future of the park... a church? steeple? 

with consequences gone- eventually morality has to come back in a different way for park-goers. I think its intimated with the "good guy"'s "bad guy" friend already getting bored with the standard scripts- stabbing the drunk with the treasure hunt story.

Also - whats up with the lesbian programmer?  Just a nod to the LGBT community, just a bit more titillation, or are we going somewhere with that story?

true. but like blade runner, could be an implanted memory or prop. it's what's great right now- so early on- guessing at what's real and what's not. that's charged by the guests constantly talking about the hosts not being real to their faces.

with the flashbacks the hosts are having, my wife thought that maybe the hosts consciousness had been stolen/implanted from actual people.

and- that little boy is a synth version of child-ford... I think.
I just assumed those were accumulated from 30+ years of park experiences.

Not from me, but I read something that

Ford = God

MIB = Satan

Dolores = Eve

--

then the symbolism of the rattlesnake last night and stuff like that... Ford is trying to create a place where anything is possible and MIB is trying to pull back the curtain.  It's not a perfect parallel but I found it interesting.

Just watched E2. Really love the show thus far.  Already hooked.  So many directions they can take this.   

I predict the head writer will seek revenge for having his story brutally rebuffed
it was telling how he went from supremely cocky to imploringly needful of positive support only from the beginning to end of ford's denouncement.

:shrug: Saw the original about a hundred years ago and the only thing I remember is the western scifi part of it 

:shrug: Saw the original about a hundred years ago and the only thing I remember is the western scifi part of it 
The Western part is a backdrop to the main story - there is no real flow to the western part of the show.  They frequently show the same day over and over - just to show how the hosts interact with the different guests, and how the hosts are becoming infected.  The plot of the show revolves around how the hosts are evolving as "beings"

I have not seen the movie - so I can't compare how the two are the same or different.

That's why the shootings are overblown and cheesy.  I'm sure the guests expect the violence to be like what they've seen in action movies. 
just watched both episodes last night (had read a little in here first). This was my first thought. THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE CHEESY.

bots can attempt to harm a human but their bullets are like those fake munitions  http://simunition.com/en/    so no harm done, like a bee sting at most.
This is what we're led to believe early on in the show after the Ed Harris/Teddy encounter, but as the episode evolved I think we're shown that the bots are incapable of trying to harm living things, not just incapable of following through on it thanks to their weaponry.  

They don't fail to kill the mosquitos because they slap them and their hands bounce off, they're incapable of even trying to slap the mosquitos in the first place.  The twist at the end of ep1 with Dolores wasn't that her hand was able to smash the mosquito, but rather that she made the decision to try and slap it.  That suggests that Teddy would not even be able to make the decision to pull the trigger at Ed Harris if he were a human.  I don't think it's an accident that we don't see any other visitors being shot and having bullets bouncing off them.  Even during the mass shootouts in town the hosts never actually shoot at a visitor.  The crazy milk guy walks right past the two visitors in the saloon after shooting every single host.

This is what we're led to believe early on in the show after the Ed Harris/Teddy encounter, but as the episode evolved I think we're shown that the bots are incapable of trying to harm living things, not just incapable of following through on it thanks to their weaponry.  

They don't fail to kill the mosquitos because they slap them and their hands bounce off, they're incapable of even trying to slap the mosquitos in the first place.  The twist at the end of ep1 with Dolores wasn't that her hand was able to smash the mosquito, but rather that she made the decision to try and slap it.  That suggests that Teddy would not even be able to make the decision to pull the trigger at Ed Harris if he were a human.  I don't think it's an accident that we don't see any other visitors being shot and having bullets bouncing off them.  Even during the mass shootouts in town the hosts never actually shoot at a visitor.
I think its more explicit than that - someone posted an article above where one of the showrunners said expressly that it is the simunitions that prevent damage to guests.  This is opposed to the movie where the guns apparently had a heat sensor to determine if the target was human.

ETA - based on the ending of episode 2, I assume the guests have different guns - with real bullets.  But, if so, I am surprised there has not been any other guest v. guest deaths - even if accidental shootings.

In. Love this show, so far. Have to go back and re-watch both episodes, though. There's so much depth in all of the imagery and all of the allusions.

it seems like the quote from Romeo & Juliet: "These violent delights have violent ends" is a trigger that puts the hosts in memory recall mode, where they can access memories all of their previous encounters. When Dolores' dad had his existential crisis after finding the anachronistic picture of the lady in the modern world, he went catatonic on the porch. Then he whispered that in Dolores' ear, and she changed, slowly. First, we see her get the far-away eyes, then slap at the fly. Episode 2, In the scene with Bernard, when she asks him if he has made a mistake, and he tells her to go back and erase the encounter from her memories, the look on her face suggests she didn't really erase it, and was not satisfied with his answer. She's made a turn towards autonomy, able to decide whether to follow commands any more.

Dolores later "infects" Maeve out on the street in front of the bar/brothel by saying the phrase to her. Maeve has the same slow awakening in the bar: going catatonic and having flashes of past violent encounters she isn't supposed to be able to access in normal operations mode. She's going rogue, too. 

So, was this a programmed key? A back door put in place by Ford or Bernard to give them a short cut to the Operating System? Or is something in that phrase an accidental key that gives the hosts sentience?

Probably a real stupid question but the hosts are physically being pulled from the park for interrogation, right? What happens to their storylines when they're not in the park? Other than for our benefit (most of the time) why is it necessary to strip them naked every time they are questioned in the glass rooms? Will probably not be able to answer yours. TIA. 

Users who are viewing this thread