What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

David Ortiz bobblehead night cancelled due to "racial insensitivity" (1 Viewer)

Amazingly this is not the only cancelled MLB bobblehead night due to offensiveness of the bobblehead within the last year. The Nats had to pull one last August because bobblehead Jayson Werth was pretty much begging you to #### his face.

Racially insensitive? Is there some negative stereotype about Dominicans having white lips?

I get that it's a terrible bobblehead, but all bobbleheads are terrible.

Are you guys being obtuse? It looks like a 1920s minstrel character. The Sox would have been murdered for releasing that. I hate that stupid organization but this is a no-brainer. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the promotions person is fired with prejudice.  

Wouldn't you think you might want to check out that prototype before firing up about 20K of 'em??

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought you could just take a picture and have it slapped onto a bobblehead these days. How did they manage to make it look that awful?!

Haven't read any responses but the bobblehead looks like he has red skin or is a Redskin which is not good. 

It's tough to make tough decisions but I think the BoSox Sam Kennedy did the right thing even if it's a tough call. You send it back, get it right, have the promotion at a later date. 

Those bobbleheads are not being cobbled together behind the Green Monster.

If they passed them out then everyone would shame the BoSox on social media.

Are you guys being obtuse? It looks like a 1920s minstrel character. The Sox would have been murdered for releasing that. I hate that stupid organization but this is a no-brainer. 
You said it better and more direct than I did. Yeah, this was easily the right thing to do, there's no pride in those Ortiz bobbleheads, they aren't worthy of the MLB or BoSox logo and organizations. 

Also...anyone who happens to get one of these before they are all destroyed is going to make a shill on eBay.

Exactly. 

I can't even believe they made it past the production stage.  Those are terrible. 

Haven't read any responses but the bobblehead looks like he has red skin or is a Redskin which is not good. 

It's tough to make tough decisions but I think the BoSox Sam Kennedy did the right thing even if it's a tough call. You send it back, get it right, have the promotion at a later date. 

Those bobbleheads are not being cobbled together behind the Green Monster.

If they passed them out then everyone would shame the BoSox on social media.
It looks like blackface. 

I know I would be pissed off if I was one of the 10 black people at Fenway tonight and they passed those things out
Even if Papi were the only person non-white in the entire stadium including players, coaches, the whole kit n caboodle, even if he were the only one in the entire stadium and parking lot you still cannot pass these out. 

I think the promotions person is fired with prejudice.  

Wouldn't you think you might want to check out that prototype before firing up about 20K of 'em??
From what I heard on the radio, the prototype looked different than the final version.  It was some thing to do with the color of the lips I believe they said.

From what I heard on the radio, the prototype looked different than the final version.  It was some thing to do with the color of the lips I believe they said.
But someone still had to allow 5,000...10,000 of these made up and then finally the BoSox Pres or GM steps in and says absolutely not...

Wonder if the company is local or if they create all 30 MLB teams...Miami for example gives out at least 1-2 of these a month for one thing or another. 

Also the ones they give out for free to the first 5K fans are quite large, didn't bobbleheads start off as miniatures and mostly heads on little bodies? 

Somebody make a meme of the Africans dancing with the caption. "David Ortiz Bobble heads have arrived"

Just seems like a good time to note that I have never understood the appeal of bobbleheads.  I find them strange-looking and unattractive. 

I don't follow baseball.  Why does he have a microphone and why are his lips white? 
It is representing the day he took the mike at Fenway Park after the Boston Marathon tragedy.  That was the time they wore the "Boston" shirts and not the "Red Sox" shirts.

The color of the lips is what changed from the prototype.

Users who are viewing this thread