What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

⚽ Soccer Match-day Thread (7 Viewers)

Sammy, what is your best case projection for Shelton?  Does he end up a better nat than say Zardes (who we love to have fun with but the guy does produce in his own way)?
At this point he's essentially a slightly faster right sided Brek Shea with a slightly better sense of attack.  Basically he has the speed and size to get to the endline and more or less knows what to do with it, but lacks the technical ability to be consistently effective.  

He physically jumps off the screen at you when he's on the pitch, but at this point, he needs to be playing.

Last edited by a moderator:
At this point he's essentially a slightly faster right sided Brek Shea with a slightly better sense of attack.  Basically he has the speed and size to get to the endline and more or less knows what to do with it, but lacks the technical ability to be consistently effective.  

He physically jumps off the screen at you when he's on the pitch, but at this point, he needs to be playing.
based on the little I"ve seen of him- nailed it.

we'd be very lucky if he can turn into the kind of pro Zardoz is. I think I major distinction- at this point in shelton's career- is that zardoz makes fantastic runs forward.. really understands the space that follows the 2nd ball. shelton- again, from limited viewing- seems more of a straight ahead guy with his runs... but granted, I've only seen him out wide and he's pretty much clung to the sidelines with the runs.

Yeah, this was bad for DC, who were finally beginning to look like they were finding a little something this season.  They were unbeaten through six games, but more relevantly, had started playing some attractive stuff.  Acosta has really settled into the team and Patrick Mullins was having his yearly hot streak where you wonder why he's never become a consistent starter before.  Sam had also helped a lot, which is only fair considering how he tortured DC when he was with NYRBs.  DCs defense without Birnbaum is shaky, though.  Particularly if Hamid isn't standing on his head.

NYCFC is one of the most fun teams to watch in MLS that I can remember, because they're just such a shaggy dog collection of unbalanced parts that I can't believe Viera manages to get some semblance of shape out of them.  I will never not love Lamps' goals out of midfield.  I've never seen another guy like him. 
the last couple games I've watched, Hamid hasn't been tip-top. 

looks like around 90deg with mid 70s humidity for kickoff... but doesn't look like rain (more than the usual pineapple showers)

I need to come up with a drinking plan, @Kafka, in the even Wondo is inserted/sub'd into the game tonight.

Also, how many of you are going to be El Salvador fans tonight @The Gator I'm looking at you gringolio

Is it me or does his confidence seem to be growing which is elevating his play?
what I've seen of him, he's a streaky/confidence kind of player. lights-out when things are working, head-case bordeline useless when they're not.

eta: plus, of course... he's dreamy.

what I've seen of him, he's a streaky/confidence kind of player. lights-out when things are working, head-case bordeline useless when they're not.
I never got that impression of him during his two years in Soton but then I'm not the most aware person in the world.

what was your impression of him?
I thought he was a hard worker, an enthusiastic, unselfish and likable teammate and was given a tough job (holding up) that he did as well as anyone in the Prem. Sometimes there were visible signs of frustration when he didn't get service in the box but what striker doesn't make faces when that happens?

Granted, it's kind of inherent in me to generally think the best of all the players. Even the ones at Liverpool.

I thought he was a hard worker, an enthusiastic, unselfish and likable teammate and was given a tough job (holding up) that he did as well as anyone in the Prem. Sometimes there were visible signs of frustration when he didn't get service in the box but what striker doesn't make faces when that happens?

Granted, it's kind of inherent in me to generally think the best of all the players. Even the ones at Liverpool.
I agree with all of that. plus he has the rotating cupped hand to ear goal celebration... which nobody does better.

what I was saying is that he'll get into streaks where his final ball/touch is magic- goes in the net, finds the runner, finds the assist, etc... for a few games- and it seems like he's unstoppable. but then, it's like a lever is switched and even though he's doing all that good work you described, the final ball/touch is FUBAR and he's missing clear chances/passes/etc. and you can see it on his face- despite him gamely fighting/working on.

eta: I've noticed the streakiness in him more than normal... Anelka was a guy that was similar that way, IMO. 

I agree with all of that. plus he has the rotating cupped hand to ear goal celebration... which nobody does better.

what I was saying is that he'll get into streaks where his final ball/touch is magic- goes in the net, finds the runner, finds the assist, etc... for a few games- and it seems like he's unstoppable. but then, it's like a lever is switched and even though he's doing all that good work you described, the final ball/touch is FUBAR and he's missing clear chances/passes/etc. and you can see it on his face- despite him gamely fighting/working on.

eta: I've noticed the streakiness in him more than normal... Anelka was a guy that was similar that way, IMO. 
This was my impression as well and lately it seems he's been in good form, especially for the Azzurri.

Beyond the absolute top guys, I think all strikers are streaky.  Scoring goals is really, really hard.  Scoring goals when you don't have consistent service is even harder.  It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy that the guys who are best at scoring goals eventually end up playing for teams that can supply them with a bunch of chances.  Unless it's showing as goals and/or assists, no striker will continue to impress by hold up play or other dirty work jobs.  If that were enough, people would rave about Emile Hesky.  He did all of that stuff well.  He just sucked at scoring goals. 

Beyond the absolute top guys, I think all strikers are streaky.  Scoring goals is really, really hard.  Scoring goals when you don't have consistent service is even harder.  It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy that the guys who are best at scoring goals eventually end up playing for teams that can supply them with a bunch of chances.  Unless it's showing as goals and/or assists, no striker will continue to impress by hold up play or other dirty work jobs.  If that were enough, people would rave about Emile Hesky.  He did all of that stuff well.  He just sucked at scoring goals. 
No,no,no...I was referring to the real heart of the matter...you know, the "dreamy" part...

Now that I have the Roku player on my TV, I can watch AFCON qualifying on my big screen through the WatchESPN app.  Heady times.   I imagine I'll be divorcing within the year.

So many damn penalties. When it is this hard for your players to play within the rules, your rules suck. Almost as many flags as commercials. 

what. the. !

%^&*@!

eta: ah. ok. that makes sense. in the way that anything around here makes sense.

Users who are viewing this thread