What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

⚽ Soccer Match-day Thread (5 Viewers)

OptaJoe @OptaJoe · 1m

5 - This is only the fifth match in League Cup history to see both teams score 5+ goals, and the first since a 6-6 draw between Dagenham & Redbridge and Brentford in August 2014. Bonkers.

True story - I always schedule Dagenham & Red for pre-season matches on FM
I took Dag and Red to the CL finals in FM 11 (I think it was 11).Lost on pens against Bayern.

If you had told me we would go up 1-0 and lose 2-1 I would have assumed I would be blaming FDB.  Kind of impossible to blame him - team was dominant all game.  The ironic thing it’s Josef and his piss poor PKs that put us here.  But how do you blame that guy?

Tough one to swallow - you can’t control a game more than that.  Oh well - hope Seattle wins 

Last edited by a moderator:
Still can’t believe Atlanta lost that match :ptts:

biggest play is the PK save - even if it’s not a PK it could have been 2-0.  
Sorry man... Two great strikes and some inspired GK play on the other end (beyond the PK save) plus a very compact and organized D. Poz up "front" seemed to be playing almost entirely in the MF, so to me it looked like a 4-2-4 with Caillou and marky as the 2 and pretty much nobody up top. With atl pushing bodies up, it allowed tfc to at least get some numbers at the midfield stripe in transition..even if there wasnt any outlet past there other than possessing the ball into space and them of course those crackers (not Caillou, the goals).

As a neutral having watched the local teams sputter out of this uselessly, I was really hoping for an LA v ATL final...two most fun attacking teams in the league going head to head.

Tfc v sea isn't quite the same.

Sorry man... Two great strikes and some inspired GK play on the other end (beyond the PK save) plus a very compact and organized D. Poz up "front" seemed to be playing almost entirely in the MF, so to me it looked like a 4-2-4 with Caillou and marky as the 2 and pretty much nobody up top. With atl pushing bodies up, it allowed tfc to at least get some numbers at the midfield stripe in transition..even if there wasnt any outlet past there other than possessing the ball into space and them of course those crackers (not Caillou, the goals).

As a neutral having watched the local teams sputter out of this uselessly, I was really hoping for an LA v ATL final...two most fun attacking teams in the league going head to head.

Tfc v sea isn't quite the same.
It takes the sting out them winning last year but with LA losing and having home field and then to dominate the game and lose is tough - honestly I’m just glad I wasn’t at the game - I’d still be sitting in my seat wondering what just happened 

You could hear the MLS front office say "ooof!" when TFC won.  It was the only one of the 4 teams it did not want in the final.

As for Bradley, MLS Cup is a $6.5m game.  It is no secret that TFC want to remove him from a DP or let him go entirely in the off season, but Bradley has a clause in his contract that if the team wins MLS Cup this year, his $6.5m option year next automatically kicks in.

I still don't understand what happened to Atlanta's defense here on the winning goal.  Everyone just stopped moving almost like they thought there was no way he could shoot from that far, when he was not that far away from goal.  I think Gressel was the most at fault here for shutting off but there were others that could have stepped to the ball.

https://twitter.com/WillParchman/status/1189728809597227009?s=20
I noticed that too. They had numbers back as well. But maybe because he was a sub, it mucked up their coverage... Somebody clearly turned off covering.

It takes the sting out them winning last year but with LA losing and having home field and then to dominate the game and lose is tough - honestly I’m just glad I wasn’t at the game - I’d still be sitting in my seat wondering what just happened 
I can tell you from recent experience, it stings more when your team plays like crap instead of dominating or playing the way they might usually. Atlanta at least played their game play it well and just finish. They were just beaten by two spectacular goals.

Rising take on Real Monarchs in the USL Western Semifinals on ESPN+ in 15 minutes. It’s a playoffs dollar beer night! We’re gonna try and avoid being the LAFC of USL tonight.

Nicely finished and all....but lol at the CB there.

Not much between these two lower mid table teams. At least I think that's where bournmouth sit.

And it looks like they're playing in a typhoon.

Gotta say...when lingard came in the game changed. All MU. Have to assume Ole changes the tactics/formation, which begs the question- why not start with those tactics?

And will burnmoth rue those couple of really good chances they couldn't take advantage of?

I think they just said worst start for MU in 33 years...?

When they added McGuire, I thought they were moving up...but wow they've been bad.

I really loved Robertson's equalizer as well.  God knows how many pieces will be written on how it exemplifies Liverpool's "grit" or some other nonsense.  But I think it's almost certainly a pattern of play that Klopp has worked with them on the training pitch.

Mane is switched to the right as an inverted winger so he can get the early cross in with his preferred foot.  He knows exactly where he's standing it up to the back post and Robertson knows exactly where he's going as a late arriving fullback.  It's a perfect example of a live play "set piece."  So well conceived and perfectly executed.  That stuff gives me the soccer jumpyquo.

Users who are viewing this thread