What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

⚽ Soccer Match-day Thread (1 Viewer)

Wow... I left and both city and lfc were losing late. Manes goal must have been at the death? Huge points for them.

CP gets the start vs wolves. In a typhoon.

I can still remember thinking Mane wasn't worth 30 million pounds when Liverpool and Man U were fighting over him.  The lesson, as always, is that I'm a gigantic idiot.
Where was he coming from... West Ham? Wherever it was- I thought he was really, really good. So I must be a super genius. Especially because I'm still convinced fellaini is going to settle in at United and be a star- loved him at Everton. Thought he was going to make everybody forgot old-timer scholes.

Every time I watch Jorginho play I feel like there's a referendum on the modern game.  Can you afford to put a deep-lying playmaker in front of the back four?  Against the best teams, maybe not.  But when he does this ...

I really loved Robertson's equalizer as well.  God knows how many pieces will be written on how it exemplifies Liverpool's "grit" or some other nonsense.  But I think it's almost certainly a pattern of play that Klopp has worked with them on the training pitch.

Mane is switched to the right as an inverted winger so he can get the early cross in with his preferred foot.  He knows exactly where he's standing it up to the back post and Robertson knows exactly where he's going as a late arriving fullback.  It's a perfect example of a live play "set piece."  So well conceived and perfectly executed.  That stuff gives me the soccer jumpyquo.
That was a weak foot cross from Mane. Still agree with your overall point...defo something they work on 

Appears it happened after the tackle - he tried to brace himself and his leg broke.  The reactions from the players is tough to watch.

ETA - NBC wouldn’t show the full replay so must have been pretty gruesome 

Last edited by a moderator:
It was initially a yellow - the result turned it into red.  But, I think the foul itself did not cause the injury.
Yep - I posted that after they finally showed part of the replay - really bad luck for Gomes - hope he has a full recovery.
It definitely wasn't a rainy day in stoke swing anna miss Ramsey leg breaker...but considering son had just taken an elbow from the dude, son knew what he was doing there. Obviously he didn't intend that outcome, but he threw a tackle in from behind at pace likely in revenge for the elbow. That Gomes got hurt was a possible and likely outcome there....sucks and unlucky to have gotten that hurt.

And screw richarlison, even though I like the rest of what he brings. Thought the ref read his game well on the night. But VAR...ugh...feels like it gets worse and more poorly used every week. 

It definitely wasn't a rainy day in stoke swing anna miss Ramsey leg breaker...but considering son had just taken an elbow from the dude, son knew what he was doing there. Obviously he didn't intend that outcome, but he threw a tackle in from behind at pace likely in revenge for the elbow. That Gomes got hurt was a possible and likely outcome there....sucks and unlucky to have gotten that hurt.

And screw richarlison, even though I like the rest of what he brings. Thought the ref read his game well on the night. But VAR...ugh...feels like it gets worse and more poorly used every week. 
Shut up, you diving ####.

Spurs are appealing the Red for Son.  The tackle was yellow worthy, but not red.  

I've been trying to find whether VAR was involved in the yellow becoming red.  Ref initially pulled yellow.  

Not to be a ####, but they can't change the color of card based on the injury after the foul.

Spurs are appealing the Red for Son.  The tackle was yellow worthy, but not red.  

I've been trying to find whether VAR was involved in the yellow becoming red.  Ref initially pulled yellow.  

Not to be a ####, but they can't change the color of card based on the injury after the foul.
I don't know about that.  He came in from behind and went straight through Gomez.  That probably should've been a straight red even if Gomez jumped up and danced a jig afterwards.  Reds are meant for serious fouls that could cause injury.  That tackle had the potential to cause injury(obviously) and should've been a red no matter the outcome IMO. 

Sure the ref was going to be lenient at first, but he was right to make it a red IMO.  I don't think Spurs will win the appeal.

I don't know about that.  He came in from behind and went straight through Gomez.  That probably should've been a straight red even if Gomez jumped up and danced a jig afterwards.  Reds are meant for serious fouls that could cause injury.  That tackle had the potential to cause injury(obviously) and should've been a red no matter the outcome IMO. 

Sure the ref was going to be lenient at first, but he was right to make it a red IMO.  I don't think Spurs will win the appeal.

I was trying to say that...I think you said it better.

So now reading reports that VAR was not involved in the Red.  This raises more questions to me.  

Why did the card color change?  What changed the ref's mind?  If it was the injury that is a problem.  He pulled yellow initially. 

Why was VAR not used?  VAR could have been used and reviewed the foul and decided the correct card before Gomez was even off the pitch.  This is one instance where VAR wouldn't have slowed down the game.  

(Oh, and I watched the replay once.  I cannot watch it again.   :X  I still don't think the foul was red worthy.)

Also, because it was a straight red for violent conduct it is a 3-match ban.  

So now reading reports that VAR was not involved in the Red.  This raises more questions to me.  

Why did the card color change?  What changed the ref's mind?  If it was the injury that is a problem.  He pulled yellow initially. 

Why was VAR not used?  VAR could have been used and reviewed the foul and decided the correct card before Gomez was even off the pitch.  This is one instance where VAR wouldn't have slowed down the game.  

(Oh, and I watched the replay once.  I cannot watch it again.   :X  I still don't think the foul was red worthy.)

Also, because it was a straight red for violent conduct it is a 3-match ban.  
I hate to state the obvious and sound like a smartass but I’m guess what changed his mind was the dudes broken leg.  And I have no problem with it.

Let me expand on that - I would have a problem if no card (or even no foul) was given and he went from no card/foul to red without VAR.  He obviously thought  he saw live was enough to give a yellow - what he saw after (the injury)  just emphasized it more.  

The way I see it:  If the ref had pulled a red out to start, I don't think anyone would complain.

As such, I have no problem with it being a red regardless of how it got there.  It was a bad foul.  I wouldn't argue yellow vs. red because I could see either one.  But, it's not like this was some soft yellow.  Definitely no intent to injure but a dangerous play nonetheless from behind.

Let me expand on that - I would have a problem if no card (or even no foul) was given and he went from no card/foul to red without VAR.  He obviously thought  he saw live was enough to give a yellow - what he saw after (the injury)  just emphasized it more.  
But that's not how it's supposed to work. 

The way I see it:  If the ref had pulled a red out to start, I don't think anyone would complain.

As such, I have no problem with it being a red regardless of how it got there.  It was a bad foul.  I wouldn't argue yellow vs. red because I could see either one.  But, it's not like this was some soft yellow.  Definitely no intent to injure but a dangerous play nonetheless from behind.
I know we all think Son didn't intend that. But he flew in from behind on a guy who had just elbowed him in the face...so saying "no intent to injure" is being a bit gracious imo. He didn't mean to maim the guy, but he knew what he was doing- and the outcome was always going to be a bad foul, with genuine risk of injury.

Well, yeah....

....but that still doesn't change the fact that Salah is a diving ####.

:yes:

FA Spokesperson @FAspokesperson

[1/2] Heung-min Son will be available for Tottenham Hotspur FC’s next three domestic fixtures after an independent Regulatory Commission upheld a claim of wrongful dismissal.

Terrible result for Gomes- and I hope the diving #### has a speedy and full, recovery.

But, the tackle was never a red card offense.  I think Atkinson assumed Son's tackle directly caused the injury - which led to him changing his mind from Yellow to Red.

Users who are viewing this thread