What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Exploit and Avoid Week 2 (1 Viewer)

Ministry of Pain

Footballguy
I didn't mention a lot of the QBs and I also seemed to do a lot of game summaries for some of the match ups based on last week. I want to circle back to several games and get some thoughts from many of you. And if you have a completely different take on any of the games, please be my guest and help educate the rest of us minions. 

NY Jets at Buffalo Pk ‘Em (41)

Fitz had 189/2Td last week but I tell you he isn’t a good NFL QB. Please understand, with the amount of talent around him, he’s gonna have stats. But his passes this past weekend were not very good. His receivers do an incredible job of making him look at least average but if you look close, Fitz should be carrying a clipboard, he has some real limitations.

Alert: Quincy Enunwa was targeted 8 times and caught 7/54/TD. This is a guy you might like on your bench in a flex spot but understand he is still the #3 guy here. Marshall had 8 targets but only 3/32, Cinci was focused on stopping him and I think that added a little to Enunwa. Decker had 7 targets and caught only 2/37/Td, He and Marshall combined for just 5 catches on 15 targets...as I’m working this out I think we can tell that Enunwa is likely foolish to grab early on the waiver wire this week. Had Marshall and Decker caught a few more balls then Enunwa wouldn’t see as many targets or receptions, fewer opps except when they face tougher defenses where he is more likely to be the lone guy open on short stick routes.

Forte and Powell combined for 11 targets. Matt Forte caught 5/59 and 22/96 on the ground, that’s a 25+ avg type season, 400 touches, lot of touches for a guy his age, Jets plan is to ride him for all they can. Powell is simply relief but he did manage 10 yds a carry, certainly an anomaly.

For the Bills, all the talk is Sammy Watkins and rightly so. He had a pretty mediocre showing last week but seems injured and there also seems to be no end in sight. He re-injured the foot where he has a big screw, nothing is broken but he is in a lot of pain. How much can he play through because Rex says they are not shutting him down. My only concern is the health of Watkins and I feel bad for him. He needs to play if he can but he might be doing long term damage, tough spot to be in and I understand there is a lot of money at play but he’s under a rookie contract still. This situation concerns me.

I’m not sure what the next guy up will do in Buffalo but this offense looks terrible. McCoy managed to score a TD which helped. He is going to get a lot of touches as long as health stays good. Keep an eye on Charles Clay, maybe he can get 3-4 more targets, he has talent and can break tackles once he catches the ball. They paid him a lot of money, use him.

Cincinnati managed to rack up a lot of yards against the Jets secondary but I think AJ Green had a major part of that, Buffalo might not have that type of weapon healthy on their roster. Even a healthy Watkins would not exploit the way AJ did. Quick turnaround will also keep the score kind of low.

Final Score: NY Jets 20...Buffalo 17, I actually see the Jets winning this one easily. They should have won against Cinci and it just didn’t work out. The Bills look like an 0-2 team, the Jets look like a solid potential playoff team especially in the OL/DL/Front 7/SkillPos but Buffalo does not.

Tennessee at Detroit -5.5(47)

Let’s deal with the passing game for the Titans first. Looks like the early returns for Tajae Sharpe are pretty good including 7/76 on 11 targets. Defenses are going to wisen up to the rookie and force others to produce more. Andre Johnson had 7 targets for 3/30, he was the next guy at WR so I am concerned this isn’t enough for Mariota to really flourish. Rishard Mathews only 4 targets, I might think about cutting him if you own him, certainly better options if you compete in leagues where only about 60 WRs are rostered. Not sure Mathews is even a top 75 guy right now, Johnson either ‘nuff said about both of them. TE Delanie Walker had 3/42 on just 5 targets, no real cause for concern but it was more of a dud this past weekend. I know he is starting on a lot of your rosters.

Murray 13/42 vs Henry 5/3 in a game where they were behind much of the game. I think this will change, I wouldn’t overreact to this. The Lions are not terrible in rush defense but they should be a little softer than the Vikes last week. For now though you should bench Henry but he did catch 2/41 on just 2 targets, he showed in open space what a beast he is. Look for more touches especially if the Titans continue to lose football games.

The Lions come out and get the win in Indy, they looked good doing it despite giving up a lot of points on defense. They are exciting and they spray the ball around a lot. Let’s look at these targets and receptions...Marvin Jones 4/85 on 10 targets, he is a weekly starter in your line up right now. Golden Tate 7/41 on 7 targets, all short passes, thought he was more of a down field type, hoping to see a lot more yards vs a potential bye week flex option which he is shaping into slowly. Keep an eye on this, he was selected as a lot of folks WR2, think he might be the #2 option now at WR. Don’t want to overreact the 1st week but most were hoping for more than 10 yds a catch. TE Eric Ebron caught all 5 targets for 46/TD, if he is on the waiver wire and you own Barnidge for example, uh go get this guy because he is a part of the offense, also you should note that he won’t catch 100% of his targets every week so temper the enthusiasm just a smidge. Boldin had 3/30 something, caught his targets but not a real threat to hinder Jones.

Abdullah and Riddick both had 5 targets and I expect the RB targets to continue. They both caught all of them and they both had about 60yds and a TD just thru the air. Abdullah 12/63 and Riddick had 45 and a TD so both of them on any given week will score for you. I expect the Titans to look a little softer on defense than when they stacked 8 into the box most of the game vs the Vikes and still they lost by almost double digits. They are going to get spread out and exploited this week IMHO, I would be doubling down on Lions this week. I drafted Stafford as my QB2 after about 14 were off the board, he’s now my QB1 and this offense looks different without Megatron, I kind of like it better. He doesn’t have the immediate 50 yd score at his disposal just yet but he is running a nice offense that seems to be able to hit you from many different directions. The Lions might be a fringe playoff team, I could see 10 wins if they can continue to play well on offense.

Final Score: Detroit 31...Tennessee 17

Kansas City at Houston -2 (43.5)

Osweiler threw a terrible interception early in the Chicago game and it looked like it might be a long season. He settled in and although still looked a little shaky at times, he delivered when guys were open, he missed a couple times as well but there is so much talent at WR that he just needs to get it in the window or around it and these guys can go get it. This is not a well oiled machine by any stretch and KC has a decent defense, they perked up once they got in the hole, but the fact is Keenan Allen was having success, Travis Benjamin too early so I gotta believe DeAndre Hopkins and the rookie Fuller are looking like pretty strong plays.

Fuller had 11 targets, 5/107/Td, and that was just his 1st game, lookout! Hopkins had 8 targets, reeled in 5/55/Td, owners might grumble but trust me if Fuller keeps it up, big days ahead for Hopkins who is still the better WR right now. Fuller still has to prove he can beat a double team, hold on to the football, take a big hit and bounce right back, it’s a long road but we’re very excited about what we see early on in this offense which is bound to get better as they play more games together. The talent is there.

Lamar Miller had a lot of touches, 32 including 28 carries, that’s a lot and I saw him bottled up quite a bit and these are the kind of carries that wear a RB down over a season. I just am making a point that the Texans need a 2nd guy but Erving looked nervous when he was on the field. Miller cannot survive 500 touches IMHO but we’ll see. They don’t want Osweiler throwing 40-50 times a game either. Miller had 32 touches, the guy on the other dies of the field had 18 and seemed like he did a lot more with his. Miller won’t survive if he is needed 32 times a week. But Lamar Miller owners have to be delighted that he is such a focal point of the offense.

Alex Smith 360/2TD/1Int+15/TD on the ground, he was 4th this past week. I think you gotta think about a QB2 on your roster, he’s on waivers in mine. At the same time I started questioning how often the Chiefs will need Smith to do what he did. Even still, the Chiefs are going to be winning or in tight ball games most of the way.

Spencer Ware was all that and a bag of chips. He proved he has the ability to catch the ball out of the backfield and if he is given in the range of 18-22 touches a week he will be very productive. He doesn’t need 75% of the touches, he only needs about half but the fact is almost nobody but Ware got carries this past week. I would say West will see more action when the Chiefs are nursing a 10-14 pt lead, those are the weeks that West will see a lot more balls IMHO. I thought I would trade Ware but I believe with Charles being brought back slowly that you have a good 2-4 weeks of smooth sailing ahead. Charles isn’t even practicing or working with the first unit, most reports say he looks tentative and finding his way back. 2nd ACL tear so he might need more time. It might be Week 8 or 12 before Charles is back and 100%. 7/129 on 8 targets, most weeks he won’t do that but then you have to assume he will get more than 11 carries which he also racked up 70/TD on those. He is squarely a Top 5 play at the moment.

Maclin and Kelce each had 7 targets, Mac 5/63/TD, Kelce 5/74, and Conley had 7 targets but I think that is more of a product of them being behind. Ware-Maclin-Kelce in that order right now in this offense. Easy to understand.

Final Score: Kansas City 27...Houston 24, should be a potential playoff preview, not a long road trip for the Chiefs.

Miami at New England -6.5 (41.5)

A lot of folks asking me for reactions to the Miami defense and their overall performance as they played well enough to win vs Seattle but a couple miscues really hurt them and they allowed Seattle to drive the length of the field late to beat them.

The Good: Tannehill looked competent, he was hitting open receivers, he showed a little flash in the run game, he seemed to understand the offense pretty well or showed signs of what might be on the horizon. It wasn’t All Pro level but he faced the Seahawks and overall he wasn’t the reason Miami lost. Arian Foster was really enjoyable to watch run the ball and catch. As long as he remains healthy he is a solid RB2 week in week out and will sometimes crack the top 12, he looks great. Caroo played 85% of the snaps in Parker’s absence.

The Bad: Cameron dropped another ball he should have had but the absolute show stopper drop was Kenny Stills who missed what was a sure TD and made no excuses for it after the game. Now there was also a circus surrounding him a little for his protest prior to the game, I’m not going to comment on that. I’m enjoying doing this right now and I want to not address anything that isn’t really game related with this. I think he might have been a little unfocused, I hope he gets focused this week.

Because my team is facing the Pats, hard for me to be unbiased. Blount had a great night, showed he can rack up points even just carrying the ball 18-22 times a game. He will get a lot of touches with Brady out so enjoy him and then I might trade him because they won’t be handing off to him 22 times when Brady returns, not often for sure. I liked what I saw from Chris Hogan, he will get even better stats when Brady returns IMHO. He can work it downfield and Brady has lacked that in his arsenal for a while.

Final Score: New England 23...Miami 17, keep an eye on Suh

Baltimore at Cleveland +6.5 (43)

On one hand I think this is going to be low scoring but then I also believe Buffalo could not take advantage of them, maybe Cleveland cannot either. The Browns were lit up pretty good by Wentz, shouldn’t Joe Flacco be able to find a couple WRs this week, enough to give their ground game some open holes to run through and win this game going away? Baltimore a surprise 2-0?

RG3 is gone and maybe that will save the Gary Barnidge experiment. I wanted to cut him but I might give it a week. McCown is not startable or at least shouldn’t be in any redraft league I’ve seen. Trying to predict targets and rush attempts for the Browns is a little dicey right now. I would like to see them commit to Duke Johnson and getting him more involved. Not gonna spend a lot of time on the Browns, I will report what I see. I didn’t see a lot to cheer vs the Eagles. Just talking NFL, they might actually be acting better under Hue Jackson.

I don’t like to be the I told you so but I tried to point out Mike Wallace and how his strengths match up to Flacco, simply put 3/90/Td, everyone was glued in on his under 12 ypc last 3-4 seasons, go back to when he first entered the league and the Steelers exploited this kid’s talent. He has straight line speed and Flacco is just the guy to use him. I do not think he is going to have a lot of 7/70 type performances so occasionally you will get a dud but Mike Wallace and DeSean Jackson are clear starters in a 12 team league and they both went criminally under drafted or undrafted in most leagues. I would not hold on to Steve Smith. He is going to get 6/40 most weeks, he is the short catch guy, maybe he bust a couple moves but he is like an old man now that will not retire even as he says he should retire. I love him and his entire career but he looks like he will be running a lot of short stick routes. Kamar Aiken? Waiver WIre or you can hold a week and see if there is an injury.

Forsett did a little more with his carries but not much and so you have a full blown RBBC, whichever has a hot hand in the next week or two might get a few more touches. Right now you don’t really want either of them. I’m looking bye week flex filler at best for now.

Final Score: Baltimore 24...Cleveland 10

Dallas at Washington -3.5 (44.5)

We learned a few things from the NYG/Dallas game, perhaps some if was the scheme but Dallas and Prescott were forced to go underneath a lot as evidence by Witten and Beasley.

This week they have a great chance to rebound as it appears like the Skins did not think it through with their coaching staff and personnel. A wildcard appearance when the rest of the division was in “dire straits” masked a lot of problems for this team. They spend $75M on a Corner and then you allow the #1WR in the NFL to go uncovered by your best? That’s why you signed him, don’t make up some cockamammie BS about how he covers the other side of the field, it’s horsespit IMO. Jay Gruden is a Bottom 5 Head Coach, he was outclassed and out-coached all night long. And since the Skins have a revolving door most of the time including veteran guys like Gibbs and Shanahan, at some point the owner needs to accept accountability and maybe he does. He looks so lost sitting in his suite but I don’t want to anger Skins fans by trying to launch a full out assault on the organization, that’s not fair and not where I want to take this. But Monday Night was a battle of who was a worse coach, Gruden or Fisher and we had all night and undivided attention that we could pay to them. We learned a lot.

Prescott is a rookie, what can you say? He threw it 45 times in his 1st game as a rookie when he was seen as a back up in July and they still almost won. I also want others to note on Mike and Mike, they showed where the Dallas OL was getting pushed back by the NYG, do you really think that’s going to be a trend? Giants spent a lot of money on their DL and the early results are pretty good. He did check down a lot, we could come up with some funny knicknames if this continues like Dak Checkscott...too soon? Yeah I would agree but let’s look at those targets…

Witten 14, Beasley 12, Dez 5...that’s not gonna work but I do think Elliott finding more success on the ground will help keep defenses a little more honest and let’s also assume Dak’s first game, little nervous and understandable. Those who have Witten are going to prosper for a bit, at the same time you can’t assume that will happen often. A more even distribution of targets and also other receivers making their catches, things will even out more. Fact is Washington looks lost on defense in the secondary and they were in fact fighting early in that ball game and had to be separated, that’s not good.

Let’s start with the horrific play of Kirk Cousins, is there any other way to describe that terrible display of passing? He missed a lot of guys and I just am not sold right now that he is a legit NFL Starter. As I say that he probably will bounce back and have a stronger performance. The Dallas defense played pretty well the 1st 3 quarters of the game, Eli had 200 passing, Jennings was efficient but he wasn’t tearing them up. I don’t think this is a slam dunk for the Skins at home despite being favorites.

DeSean Jackson was a guy we were high on coming into the season and our opinion is not changing anytime soon. Jordan Reed lead the team in targets with 11 but managed 7/64, he was active early, took a nap, got a couple catches at the end. Jackson had 6/100+ on 10 targets. Crowder next with 10 targets and then Pierre Garcon had 6/51 on 6 targets. They were behind so I’m not sure the targets will always look like this, you have several guys hovering around 10, another at 6. I do believe Jackson should be an auto start until further notice, don’t care the match-up, he can take it to the house on any play, that;s a guy you want out there as your WR3/Flex all day long.

Chris Thompson had 6 touches, 39 yds and TD, Matt Jones 7/24 on the ground, some will run and grab Thompson, perhaps you should but I don’t know if you can bank on the TD every week. He might see more touches but Washington was behind, this week I expect Matt Jones to get more carries deeper into the ball game as it should be somewhat close.           

Final Score: Washington 24...Dallas 23, it wouldn’t surprise me if Dallas wins.

New Orleans at NY Giants -5 (52)

-Giants DL is very good and thee Saints OL is kinda avg. This could present problems for Brees trying to buy time to get the ball down the field, therefore short routes or the WRs that run the 5-10 yard patterns, LOS plays, those might be the plays.

-Saints looked explosive vs Oakland. Cooks and Snead both had 9 targets and caused a lot of damage to the Raiders. I’m not sure how good Oakland’s defense is but they played well at times when the Saints weren’t gobbling huge chunks of yards at once. I don’t know if they will find the same soft holes in the Giants defense. This is on the road to boot. It's unreasonable to expect 300 yds and 3 TDs from the top 2 WRs in any offense so just expect to come down off that FF High running thru you at the moment. 

-ODB only had 8 targets but still about double anyone else. They used a fairly balanced attack but seem like they could tear the cover off and open up the pass a little more. They also seem committed to getting the run going to help the passing game, all of it good stuff.

-Shepard and Cruz each cashed on limited targets, 4 each, TD each, don’t assume that always but you can assume you want to play them vs a team like the Saints this week.

-Mark Ingram had close to 90 yds on about 14 touches including a couple catches. I bet his numbers will be stronger this week. Giants are going to try and stop the pass, Saints need the running game to click in order to win this game which Vegas thinks not so much.

Sidenote:

-Here is why I follow the Vegas lines in FF, w/in reason they have a pretty good beat how many points will be scored and who to set as the fav to get an equal amount of betting. Occasionally they are way off but not often and if you think the 2 teams are going to score about the amount of point Vegas set...you gotta build a story or guess how you’re going to arrive at those numbers.  

Final Score NY Giants 28...New Orleans 24

San Fran at Carolina -14.5 (48.5)

-Carlos Hyde made a nice impact Week 1, seems like a good fit for Chip Kelly’s offense. The 23 carries each week are unrealistic. Not because Hyde can’t run that many times...although he hasn’t but you can’t think SF is going to be nursing 2 TD leads every week on their way to 4 TD blowouts. The Panthers are going to offer significantly different challenges however the Rams were supposed to be a pretty good defense. This week is going to shed some light on just how good the Niners are, maybe Hyde won’t do as well but as long as he stays healthy, good times ahead.

-Kerley and Patton cannot stretch the field, Smith didn’t produce much on his 6 targets. Patton caught all 5 of his, again not realistic that happens each week. Kerley has reliable hands and 11 targets. You could do worse but he probably is never going to have big big weeks. He might be a decent WR4/Flex for some rosters.

-Kelvin Benjamin looks beastly and they seem to want to feed him the ball. Injuries, my goodness did he take a few shots. I am concerned he seems to seek out heavy contact, some of that is his size. 12 targets, 6/90/TD, owners are doing cartwheels. No reason to not keep rolling with him, turning into a must start quick. Greg Olsen also had 9 targets, Funchess had 4 but only 1 catch. Leave him on waivers for now.

-JStew is quickly becoming some of that stink David Dodds encourages you to get off your roster.

Final Score: Carolina 27...San Fran 14

Tampa Bay at Arizona -6.5 (50)

-The Bucs’ Jameis Winston is looking better and better every week. He also is making those around him better IMHO. Pretty balanced approach and they have talent from many places in the passing game. Mike Evans caught 5 balls for close to 100 yds and a score. He did it rather easily and one of the things that makes Evans special is he doesn’t need a lot of targets to create havoc and score points. His yds per catch is going to remain high.

-Doug Martin is the lead dog at RB, there is no doubt about it. He has 18 carries to Sims 4 and he also was targets 5 times, catching all 5 balls. I know Sims had 30/TD receiving which made him a viable flex play at the end of the day but the reality is he won’t get a TD every week so Martin is definitely the RB to have here, this is not an RBBC the way it plays out on other teams right now.  

-Fitzgerald had 10 targets, Floyd next with 7 and then John Brown had 4 targets and was unable to make any waves. Floyd was limited and might be a perfect buy low. After Fitz he seems the clear WR2 here and eventually he takes over the WR1 role here. Fitz is in the slot a lot and Floyd seems to be in different spots, both right and left side but maybe other AZ fans can clear some of this up. It borders on a Run n Shoot until you look close at the targets. I would be trying to buy Floyd this week.

-David Johnson looked spectacular and his best days are in front of him. 130 combined, 4 catches and a rush TD against the Patriots...he was not the reason Arizona lost the football game. I think anyone who took him after Gurley was grabbed is probably eating cake with ice cream right now, the rich frosting kind.

-All reports are the Bucs are getting blown out this week. Back to Back road games to open the season, AZ was highly touted and came up short to a team who was without their starting QB, the Cards season would be in a vertical dive if they lose this week. Everything stabilizes with a victory vs the Bucs. I do hope the Bucs play well but my brain says this is where we see the opposite of Week 1 because it’s the NFL.  

Final Score: Arizona 34...Tampa Bay 17, sorry Bucamigos!

Seattle at Los Angeles +3.5

-Russell Wilson has a sprained ankle but Seattle says it’s no big deal. Just keep an eye on the IR this week. Doug Baldwin is delivering the goods, 11 targets and reeled in 9/92/TD. He is efficient and if you own him keep rolling with him till the wheels fall off, this started last year and wants to continue. Kearse had a quiet 5/57  on 7 targets. Tyler Lockett did have 8 targets but only 3/17, something will give there, either he will explode or they reduce targets.

-Christine Michael did have 15/66 but I don’t think he is the better back. Despite Rawls only having 12/32 while he is coming back from injury, he also had 3/26 on 3 targets, showed decent hands and looked like he knew what he was doing. Now Michael might be able to run and find holes but IMO he looked a little lost in the passing game, his targets were not smooth and he just seemed like there might be better option. I feel like Rawls might be a little more of a 3 down back although this is a full blown RBBC for now.   

-The Rams look like a dumpster fire on offense right now. I don’t believe they should rush Goff out there but I hear I am on an island with that point of view. I don’t think Fisher will save his job but he needs to protect Goff. Rams have no 1st round pick in 2017, Oof! If you have Gurley certainly play him. He was so frustrated and took a beating the other night, gang tackled, is the Rams OL that bad? Can they not find a big boy package with 2-3 TEs, overload one side and just try a jailbreak? The Rams should already know what their limitations are. Jeff Fisher is responsible in the 5 years he has been there to at least by now have some type of offense and cohesion, there isn’t any.   

Final Score: Seattle 20...Los Angeles 7

Indianapolis at Denver -6 (45)

Let’s be clear about Indy and Andrew Luck last week. About 2:00 to go in the 1st half and I was very interested in this game, I look in and it’s 21-3, I had seen Stafford moving them up and down the field, Luck looked terrible to that point and had very few yards or completions. Then in about 2 quarters of football he manages to make it a game and then some ripping off close to 400 yards and 4 TDs. But understand that early on he sort of looked like Luck ‘15 so I want to see this develop into consistency over the next few weeks.

TY Hilton crashed the boards with 12 targets and 6/79, with all the high scoring action owners likely would have wanted to see even more, at least one of the TDs that went to CIA Agent Jack Doyle. The odd guy out this week IMO is Donte Moncrief. Now he did manage 6/64/TD on only 7 targets. Luck is spraying it around and while I like Moncrief plenty, Denver has a terrific secondary and I don’t believe he is going to find a lot of soft spots in it. Defenses tend to focus on Hilton in the passing game, if they don’t he makes them pay. Moncrief isn’t a HR threat like that, I’m not crying possession quite yet but he needs a lot of receptions to be productive for where folks drafted him. So far so good but this week, I might slide him on the bench for someone else you also liked on draft day. Dorsett had a nice day, on just 6 targets he managed 4/94 and playing from behind, there is no doubt he has speed and can gain separation but he isn’t the primary of the three right now. Still all should be on a roster, Dorsett went undrafted in some shorter roster leagues. He is also going to have some weak Sundays, he’s a roll of the dice and probably should not be thrust into the lineup this week.

C.J. Anderson seems to be the main focus in Denver right now. I think he found gaping holes last week on the left side of that line when I watched the game. Okung did very well. Seattle fans are hollering wait till he gets injured, OK but until then he is one of the better ones and especially run blocking it would seem. Anderson is likely to bust 1-2 a game on that side behind Okung, keep rolling and keep praying if you own C.J. I think the situation is pretty delicate though.

The Denver passing game right now is mild. Mr Green did fine, he managed the game, he found some open receivers, he managed to stay out of trouble, it’s gonna get worse. Thomas, seems like the injury reports were jumping the gun a little. Sanders seems better suited for the young QB. There’s not a lot to discuss here right now. This week should be a little better but don’t be surprised if the poor Colts defense which gets torched in the media all week suddenly shows up jacked and ready to play, it happens.

Final Score: Denver 26...Indy 20

Atlanta at Oakland -5 (48)

The story worth talking about vs I can just about say start everyone is Freeman and Coleman. Now Freeman had a couple more carries, solid number of targets, the difference is that Coleman made a lot out of his receptions. Both RBs failed miserably in the running game. I would continue to eye the situation but it’s full blown RBBC for the moment although I still feel like it’s 55/45 or 60/40 on the ground.

Otherwise just start everyone you can. Cooper, Sanu, Julio, Crabtree, Murray(still hanging on), Freeman/Coleman. It should be a barn burner.

Final Score: Atlanta 28...Oakland 24, I could be talked the other way but again things change week to week.

Jacksonville at San Diego -3 (48)

I think Allen Robinson might have had a few too many targets last week. For the amount, he produced so so. Still owners are pretty happy so far, especially the target numbers. Hurns managed almost the same amount of production on just 5 targets and Julius Thomas made sure to get in on the action with 5/64/TD on just 5 targets. I think all 3 will be very active this weekend.

TJ Yeldon will lose a lot of carries to Ivory when he returns. Yeldon is a shoe in for 5-6 targets a game, he will still be a viable flex play as the season rolls along.

San Diego got hit with a devastating injury to Keenan Allen last weekend. You hate to see a guy go like that after working so hard to get back. It would seem like Tyrell Williams might have the best chance at trying to take a few of those targets. He had 2/71 on the game. Travis Benjamin had nothing in Cleveland really at QB, he and Rivers will develop some chemistry, he had 7/32, those yards will go up in the coming weeks I think.

Melvin Gordon looked so good early on and then they went away from him. I don’t like his chances as much going forward without the passing game over the top to open up some running lanes. I might try and move Gordon quickly to anyone that saw the 2 TDs and wants to jump on board. I also want to say Danny Woodhead cannot hold up to 20+ touches a game. His rushing stat line is laughable when you look over his career. He is not going to rush for 1,200 yds, he likely got about ¼ of his total rushing yds for the season. I’m keeping an open mind on the entire offense right now.

Final Score: Jacksonville 24...San Diego 20

Green Bay at Minnesota +2.5 (44.5)

-J.Nelson, R.Cobb, D. Adams, 9-8-7 target distribution, 15-11-14 in PPR, seems like a pretty even split among the three of them so far. Adams still the most likely to give a dud next week but you have to start Nelson and Cobb. Cook and Rogers shared about 5 targets, minimal returns.

-Eddie Lacy had 14/60 plus 17 rec yds, owners are going to want a little more and they’re going to get it soon but the Vikes might not be so giving.

-Sam Bradford is likely to take over this week, hopefully he can find Stefon Diggs. The Vikes have tried a lot of exotic WRs that have come and gone, this guy just catches the football. He does other things but he has good hands and is reliable. He had 7/103 last week, hope Bradford doesn’t screw this up.

Final Score: Green Bay 27...Minnesota 17

Philly at Chicago -3 (42)

I am trying to keep an open mind but I am not buying into the Eagles just yet. I also think Ryan Mathews will not hold up, also 22/75 or whatever is not super impressive. I don’t think he got any targets in the passing game. Get out in front of Kenjon Barner and if you carry 6 RBs, I would stash him right now. You can always cut him in a couple weeks if something better pops up but I think if he gets a chance for more carries, he will show he’s the more productive RB.

Jordan Mathews looked great and you had to see the eye popping target numbers. The Browns are not the best test but again I’m keeping an open mind on the Philly offense for now. Nelson Agholar, 4/57/TD on only 5 targets, he might get a few more as he continues to produce. Huff had 3 targets but zero catches. Zac Ertz uh mak-a-my head hurts. Good job on his part, still not sure I can see a rookie QB supporting 2-3 solid lays in the passing game each week, gonna be up n down.

Alshon Jeffrey is a must start no matter what you think of Cutler and the offense. Eddie Royal scored last week but you really don’t want to have to roll him out week to week IMHO. White had 7 targets but didn’t do much with them. Langford had 17 carries plus 4 targets, nothing fancy but 60 yds and a score will work for most owners.

Final Score: Chicago 20...Philly 17

As usual, excellent analysis and commentary MOP.  It is very appreciated by all of us.

As I feared, you didn't put in a ringing endorsement for any of my #2 starting PPR RBs:  

Sims, Duke, and Gore.

How would you rank them this week?  Thanks!  

Great Job.

Quick notes:  I think you are overestimating the scoring in the Houston/KC game.  I see a defensive battle and it becoming the Ware vs. Miller show.  I think you need to sit both QB's.

Seattle - with Wilson hobbled and a punchless LA I think it is the Rawls/Michaels tandem and a low scoring game.

As usual, excellent analysis and commentary MOP.  It is very appreciated by all of us.

As I feared, you didn't put in a ringing endorsement for any of my #2 starting PPR RBs:  

Sims, Duke, and Gore.

How would you rank them this week?  Thanks!  
Gore based on volume, Sims next in PPR

Let’s start with the horrific play of Kirk Cousins, is there any other way to describe that terrible display of passing? He missed a lot of guys and I just am not sold right now that he is a legit NFL Starter. As I say that he probably will bounce back and have a stronger performance.
Funny thing about this is... last year he lead the NFL in completion percentage with a gaudy 69.8% on the season.

And with his HORRIFIC play (which is absolutely true) what was his completion percentage Monday night?  69.8%.  ;)

Its a big part of the reason that with no run game and a crappy defense the Redskins were only down by 8 in the 4th quarter.

Jacksonville at San Diego -3 (48)

I think Allen Robinson might have had a few too many targets last week. For the amount, he produced so so. Still owners are pretty happy so far, especially the target numbers. Hurns managed almost the same amount of production on just 5 targets and Julius Thomas made sure to get in on the action with 5/64/TD on just 5 targets. I think all 3 will be very active this weekend.
Packers did a good job of being physical with Robinson (and perhaps getting away with a couple of holds). Clinton-Dix made a great leaping deflection of a pass intended for a wide open Robinson that would have been a long gain.

Chargers have 2 good corners in Verrett and Flowers but both are 5-10 or shorter. Expect Bortles to throw a few 50-50 balls to Robinson/Hurns.

any thoughts on TY Hilton vs. Desean Jackson this week?  I'm on the fence with who to start in PPR league.

MOP you didn't say anything about Jarvis Landry in the Miami-NE analysis.   What do you expect this week against the Pats?

any thoughts on TY Hilton vs. Desean Jackson this week?  I'm on the fence with who to start in PPR league.
I have Hilton in a couple leagues. He's on the bench in one in favor of Fitzgerald and starting still in the other. He had a solid game last year against Denver, so it's possible he has another decent game this year.

His last 3 games against Denver: 5/82, 4/72, 5/41

Always fun to read and it makes me rethink some of my more questionable lineup choices.  I think the raiders game will be much higher scoring than tonight's Jets game, but most sites have Decker ahead of Crabtree.  It seems like it should be the opposite.  As someone else pointed out I think Houston vs KC  and the Rams game to be low scoring dominated by the defense and running games.

Great write up, thanks.

Like you, I drafted Stafford as my #2 QB.  Palmer was my unquestioned starter.  Now I'm thinking of going Stafford over Palmer but am reluctant to pull the trigger.  Thoughts?

Funny thing about this is... last year he lead the NFL in completion percentage with a gaudy 69.8% on the season.

And with his HORRIFIC play (which is absolutely true) what was his completion percentage Monday night?  69.8%.  ;)

Its a big part of the reason that with no run game and a crappy defense the Redskins were only down by 8 in the 4th quarter.
Interesting BST, I didn't see that his comp% was that high...hmmmm, maybe he's a super buy low and maybe DeSean Jackson has a 200 yard performance on the horizon in the next few games. I'm not joking. 

Interesting.  I may need to stash him in place of some of my older backups in currently rostering. (C Johnson, C WEST, etc)
Roster 6 in my league, I found room for him this morning at the end of my bench. I don't know how many touches he is going to get but he is short and defenses can't find him. That pancake block by the LG on the video is awesome.  I don't hear many RBs break it down like that, he sort of shows a decent NFL IQ, I like smart players with talent. 

I might end up cutting him in a week but he seems to offer some upside right now. I would love to see him carve out a 10-12 touch weekly stat line with a couple receptions and some open space opps. 

The problem with Cousins, is yet, his Comp% is high, but he wasn't throwing downfield much against Pittsburgh. It's easy to rack about a nice Comp% when you're not throwing the ball more than 10yds down the field. He's basically Alex Smith. Which isn't a bad thing, but Smith is better.

:lol:

You can't tell I have Jacksonitis right now? I like both of them and think Hilton is about the only WR on Indy who will have a decent day Sunday. 

I would take the easier match up. DeSean is looking good and while I love Hilton and he might have a long one seems like DeSean is a good bet to grab 5/75 on the floor side. I'm not saying Dallas is trash but their secondary will be tested. 

MOP you didn't say anything about Jarvis Landry in the Miami-NE analysis.   What do you expect this week against the Pats?
He has never scored vs the Pats and he is somewhere around 5-6 catches, 50-75 yds, TD is not likely. He will have Cleveland the week after(hooray), @Cin Week 4 and then the schedule starts to soften up just a little.  

5/60, 6/70, 8/90 on the high side, that's what I expect. I'm souring on Landry in FF but I like him as a Phinsfan. Maybe that will change in the next few weeks but he is a possession WR. 

I have Hilton in a couple leagues. He's on the bench in one in favor of Fitzgerald and starting still in the other. He had a solid game last year against Denver, so it's possible he has another decent game this year.

His last 3 games against Denver: 5/82, 4/72, 5/41
I see Hilton in the 60-80 yd range perhaps, handful of catches but I'm not expecting a big day vs Denver. 

Other WRs in the WR2/3 tiers are stronger plays this week. 

I see Hilton in the 60-80 yd range perhaps, handful of catches but I'm not expecting a big day vs Denver. 

Other WRs in the WR2/3 tiers are stronger plays this week. 
Agreed. Not expecting him to go crazy. If you don't have better WR2 options, then he's not a horrible play, but I don't think he gets much more than he did last week.

Great write up, thanks.

Like you, I drafted Stafford as my #2 QB.  Palmer was my unquestioned starter.  Now I'm thinking of going Stafford over Palmer but am reluctant to pull the trigger.  Thoughts?
I like both Palmer and Stafford coming into the year, so much I took a position on both in my league so there is a bias here. Palmer was on my bench last week, I like the Detroit match up and somehow backed my way into a soft schedule for Detroit. Palmer is #12 overall and I expect him to hover around top 10. Stafford however due to a soft schedule might be a fringe top 5 this year, it's crazy. I will use Palmer but I see Stafford being my main QB for right now. I even am thinking about trading Palmer to shore up other areas. 

Rashad Jennings is missing from the NYG preview.
He had a workmanlike effort last week. I don't believe new Orleans will repeat themselves in NY this week so I believe he will be used a lot to shorten up the game. He's an RB2/3 most weeks, he doesn't catch a lot of balls so I'm not as flex happy with him. 

If Jennings is the best you got in re-draft you better be loaded everywhere else.

This thread just for the record, it's all redraft, I can't possibly figure out line ups in dynasty as every owner runs their team differently. But in redraft Jennings is an RB3 but not one I feel has tons of upside. Vereen gets catches there, they mix it up. 

Riddick over Abdullah a coin flip? And who do you see as the more productive play moving forward in PPR? That Detroit offense seems like it has tremendously high upside this season, if last week is any indication. Obviously they aren't playing Indy every week, however. 

Great analysis MoP as always BUUUUUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTTT.........

JStew is quickly becoming some of that stink David Dodds encourages you to get off your roster.
What makes you think this?  I thought the guy ran pretty good between the tackles last week against a very good defense.  I'm expecting Carolina to be up big and for JStew to run run run in the second half.  Make him GREEN!

Riddick over Abdullah a coin flip? And who do you see as the more productive play moving forward in PPR? That Detroit offense seems like it has tremendously high upside this season, if last week is any indication. Obviously they aren't playing Indy every week, however. 
Both of them hit the top 10 last week, that probably won't be the norm. I love Abdullah and his talent but you can't knock Theo Riddick who is becoming the Fred Jackson on this team. Most took these guys as RB3 types/Flex, Tennessee will be spread out and holes will appear quickly. They are not that talented on defense yet. 

Riddick seems to get a few more catches, seems a little more focused since he is competing for touches, seems like Detroit trusts him in key situations. Both are start able right now but some weeks it's going to be 25-10 one way or the other, just last week they both managed to rack up a lot. 

Great analysis MoP as always BUUUUUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTTT.........

What makes you think this?  I thought the guy ran pretty good between the tackles last week against a very good defense.  I'm expecting Carolina to be up big and for JStew to run run run in the second half.  Make him GREEN!
He loses a TD opp around the GL almost every week. I don't mean to say the guy isn't talented but I feel like he is 15-20 carries if they are doing well and he doesn't offer a 2 way threat. I'm sure he will be a decent play vs SF at home but I want to see another week before I start highlighting him in green. You feel top 10 this week?

He loses a TD opp around the GL almost every week. I don't mean to say the guy isn't talented but I feel like he is 15-20 carries if they are doing well and he doesn't offer a 2 way threat. I'm sure he will be a decent play vs SF at home but I want to see another week before I start highlighting him in green. You feel top 10 this week?
Top 10 in Standard but probably not in PPR.

Any feelings on how new Victor Cruz fits in NY? Taking a shot on him recapturing magic with Allen going down. Leaving him on the bench for now.

Ministry of Pain said:
Kansas City at Houston -2 (43.5)

Osweiler threw a terrible interception early in the Chicago game and it looked like it might be a long season. He settled in and although still looked a little shaky at times, he delivered when guys were open, he missed a couple times as well but there is so much talent at WR that he just needs to get it in the window or around it and these guys can go get it. This is not a well oiled machine by any stretch and KC has a decent defense, they perked up once they got in the hole, but the fact is Keenan Allen was having success, Travis Benjamin too early so I gotta believe DeAndre Hopkins and the rookie Fuller are looking like pretty strong plays
Black is kind of meh, right?

I would go ahead and upgrade that to green. KC's defense isn't decent right now; they have SO many holes/weaknesses due to injury/turnover/age. Osweiler himself is pretty meh, but with those targets I think he's in for a big week. KC will get no pressure and the secondary is ripe for the taking.

Black is kind of meh, right?

I would go ahead and upgrade that to green. KC's defense isn't decent right now; they have SO many holes/weaknesses due to injury/turnover/age. Osweiler himself is pretty meh, but with those targets I think he's in for a big week. KC will get no pressure and the secondary is ripe for the taking.
It means I am not leaning heavy one way or the other, perhaps I don't see a clear advantage but you're making a great case. Brock had a horrible Interception early last week, one of the worst of the weekend. 

No Pass Rush and he throws it into traffic. He'll get better and rebounded well w/in the same game. I'm still a little nervous with him. 

QB is one of those spots where if you goof it's hard to recover that week. If RB1 duds, perhaps RB2 will get you some extra that week and cover a hole. I bring this up because in one sense the QB position is the easiest to fill in FF, you probably have guys like Alex Smith who was a top 5 last week just walking the streets on your WW. 

However, the reality is there were several so so performances last week in a sea of big production and if you had someone like maybe Russel Wilson, you might not have own your Week 1 game and then again some won going away and didn't really need him to produce. 

So I am going to move thru last week's top 15-20 and see if we should double down or avoid this week. 

Luck @Denver, that is not going to be a fun game for him. 

Brees @NYGiants, again this si not a good match up for him and the whole dome team on the road. 

Winston @AZ, most media outlets calling for a blowout this weekend, makes me think he might have a rough go of it. 

Smith @Hou, if they can run the ball better early then they won't be playing form behind so much. Others feel their defense is going to be torched. Interesting.

Stafford vs TN

-Most owners are going to start 4 of the 5 this weekend, in a 12 team redraft, that's about 1/3 of the owners. I would say Staff has the inside track to post the best numbers of all these guys. Now there will be a lot of others in the next 5 and the 5 after that. 

Example is Brees had 43 roughly last week, Wilson about 16. When Wilson has a subpar performance and I know he got injured and kept being a warrior so I'm not picking on him, however he lost a lot of points vs not just Brees but likely almost all 11 other starts in your redraft league. 

I'm going to go over a few more QBs but I just want to show the way I view these guys this week. Luck did most of his damage in 2 quarters +2 minutes of the 1st half, scary. 

Users who are viewing this thread