What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Lamar Jackson, BAL (1 Viewer)

He elevated the offense as a whole. Loaded lmao come on man. Stanley, Yanda, and Zeus anchored an excellent offensive line. The rest of the skill position players are below average as a whole. Andrews is probably the only one considered in the top 10 at his position. Maybe you can make a case for Ingram but I suspect you’ll struggle to list him as a top 10 rb on talent. You start at him being 3rd or 4th in his own division. 

The point is getting lost here. I jumped in to counter the guy who claimed Russ wins MVP in a runaway if we’re only looking at passing stats. I contend that the guy who led the league in passing tds (in roughly 14 games) and passer rating and quarterbacked his team to the best record in the league would be in the conversation for MVP. Sure we could argue supporting cast, strength of schedule, etc but there would be an argument which is the point. Not a runaway. Do you disagree with that? 
Not, not a runaway, but that was JustWinBaby's argument, not mine.  i have simply pointed out that Jackson had a much better team around him than Wilson.  I am not sure that is even debatable, but it's the Shark Pool where everything is up for debate. ;)

You point out he had talent all around him and proceed to give us a who's who of garbage talent that won't be in the league in 2-3 years that he didn't elevate.  You're making no sense whatsoever.  Claiming the Ravens would still be a .500 team without Lamar (which they weren't in the previous 20 something games before he took over) when they had a 14-2 record is also a mind boggling argument to make.  So he is 6 games above replacement level?  That is what makes you the MVP.

And save me the Russell Wilson worship.  He was awful during the back half of the season and single-handedly cost them a couple games.
With all due respect, to say I am making no sense and then saying Wilson was awful during the back half of the season was awful seems a "pot calling the kettle black" situation, unless you think a QB going 5-3 over an 8-game stretch with 14 touchdowns and 4 interceptions is awful.  Also, the Ravens were a .500 team (10-10) in the 20 games prior to Jackson starting, FYI, so it is not unfair to say that the Ravens would have still been a .500 team in 2019 without him, especially given the division in which they played (Bengals awful, Browns being the Browns again, Steelers missing Ben for most of the season).

Last edited by a moderator:
Not, not a runaway, but that was JustWinBaby's argument, not mine.  i have simply pointed out that Jackson had a much better team around him than Wilson.  I am not sure that is even debatable, but it's the Shark Pool where everything is up for debate. ;)

With all due respect, to say I am making no sense and then saying Wilson was awful during the back half of the season was awful seems a "pot calling the kettle black" situation, unless you think a QB going 5-3 over an 8-game stretch with 14 touchdowns and 4 interceptions is awful.  Also, the Ravens were a .500 team (10-10) in the 20 games prior to Jackson starting, FYI, so it is not unfair to say that the Ravens would have still been a .500 team in 2019 without him, especially given the division in which they played (Bengals awful, Browns being the Browns again, Steelers missing Ben for most of the season).
The Ravens played against the entire NFC West last year and swept them, so SOS goes out the window right there.  Lamar had 8 passing TD's in 4 games against the NFC West.  Wilson had 9 TD's in 6 games, and both the Seattle and San Fran games were played in an absolute monsoon (both players stats were down due to the weather in the game against each other, but WIlson threw a pick-six).  Wilson actually only threw for 9 TD's and 4 INT's in his final seven games.  You know when you looked up those 2nd half stats it was all driven by that 5 TD game against the dumpster fire Bucs secondary.  If you insist on weighing your argument on Wilson being great in the 2nd half of the year on that game alone it's laughable, but even then 14 TD passes in an 8 game span isn't sniffing an MVP performance.  In those final 7 games where he threw only 9 TD's he faced Philly, Carolina, and Arizona...terrible secondarys...and managed just 4 TD passes.  If the MVP voting was on passing only it would not have been Wilson winning it.  It may not have been Lamar, but there's no chance it was Wilson.

The Ravens played against the entire NFC West last year and swept them, so SOS goes out the window right there.  Lamar had 8 passing TD's in 4 games against the NFC West.  Wilson had 9 TD's in 6 games, and both the Seattle and San Fran games were played in an absolute monsoon (both players stats were down due to the weather in the game against each other, but WIlson threw a pick-six).  Wilson actually only threw for 9 TD's and 4 INT's in his final seven games.  You know when you looked up those 2nd half stats it was all driven by that 5 TD game against the dumpster fire Bucs secondary.  If you insist on weighing your argument on Wilson being great in the 2nd half of the year on that game alone it's laughable, but even then 14 TD passes in an 8 game span isn't sniffing an MVP performance.  In those final 7 games where he threw only 9 TD's he faced Philly, Carolina, and Arizona...terrible secondarys...and managed just 4 TD passes.  If the MVP voting was on passing only it would not have been Wilson winning it.  It may not have been Lamar, but there's no chance it was Wilson.
I didn't say the second half of the season (which you cherry picked and removed a game from) was an MVP performance; I was refuting your contention that he was awful over the back half of the season.  Do you stand by your contention that he was awful in the back half of the season?

I didn't say the second half of the season (which you cherry picked and removed a game from) was an MVP performance; I was refuting your contention that he was awful over the back half of the season.  Do you stand by your contention that he was awful in the back half of the season?
Do you contend that a 5-3 record with losing 3 of the last 4 games and slipping from a playoff bye to a 5 seed seed while scoring 12 and 13 points in weeks 14 and 16 against the Rams and Cardinals is a strong 2nd half of the season? 

And yes you are the one that started this stupidity by claiming Wilson would have been MVP if you took away Lamar's rushing.  Russell Wilson has quickly went from being the most underrated QB to the most overrated QB.

OK, I think we're splitting hairs here. If you insist, I'll say Jackson put up "an elite passing season that might have had him in the conversation for league MVP even if he hadn't done any running." 
OK, and I don't agree with that. If he had done no running, IMO Wilson was the MVP in a runaway. Not close.
This is the original claim I responded to. It's a bit of a silly hypothetical, but it's not my hypothetical.

1. Remove all of Jackson's running, and he had 3127 passing yards, 161 passing first downs, 36 passing TDs, 6 interceptions.
  2. Meanwhile, Wilson had 4110 passing yards, 190 passing first downs, 31 passing TDs, 5 interceptions, 342 rushing yards, 17 rushing first downs, and 3 rushing TDs.
  3. Even if you also ignore Wilson's rushing -- which was not the original hypothetical -- +983 more passing yards, +29 more passing first downs, -1 interception >>> +5 passing TDs.
  4. That delta in passing performance is even more impressive considering PFF graded the BAL pass blocking as #1 in the NFL and SEA pass blocking as #30.
  5. There was some discussion about supporting cast above, and it clearly favors the Ravens.

PFF's final grade for OLs after the 2019 season had BAL at #2 and SEA at #27.
  6. The Ravens RBs were slightly better. Carson had more production than any BAL RB, but Ingram and Edwards combined for more YFS and TDs than Carson and Penny.
  7. The Seahawks WRs were much better, no question.
  8. The Ravens TEs were much better, no question.
  9. The Ravens defense was much better, no question. BAL was #3 in points allowed and #4 in yards allowed, compared to SEA at #22 and #26, respectively.
  10. The Ravens special teams were much better, no question. PFF graded BAL #3 and SEA #15.
  11. Excluding QB, it is obvious that BAL had a much, much better team than SEA. Thus, there is no question that Wilson's performance was much more critical -- more valuable -- to his team's success than Jackson's. I think that is true even if Jackson's rushing counts, but it doesn't for this exercise.

Since the NFL regular season expanded to 16 games in 1978, 44 players have won MVP (with co-MVPs twice). 32 of those players were QBs. None of them passed for as few as 3127 passing yards, and McNair was really the only one to come close at 3154.

Yes, in this hypothetical scenario that I did not originally pose, Wilson would have won MVP in a runaway.

BINGBING said:
If the MVP voting was on passing only it would not have been Wilson winning it.  It may not have been Lamar, but there's no chance it was Wilson.
Wrong. As it was, Wilson was 2nd team All Pro last season, and deservedly so. Without rushing, Jackson wouldn't have been 1st team, moving Wilson up.

BINGBING said:
And yes you are the one that started this stupidity by claiming Wilson would have been MVP if you took away Lamar's rushing.
Wrong. It wasn't @Ghost Rider, it was me, quoted above in response to the hypothetical situation posed by @CalBear.

BINGBING said:
Do you contend that a 5-3 record with losing 3 of the last 4 games and slipping from a playoff bye to a 5 seed seed while scoring 12 and 13 points in weeks 14 and 16 against the Rams and Cardinals is a strong 2nd half of the season? 

And yes you are the one that started this stupidity by claiming Wilson would have been MVP if you took away Lamar's rushing.  Russell Wilson has quickly went from being the most underrated QB to the most overrated QB.
Not sure why you are so confrontational about what should be a friendly disagreement, but since you can't even keep track of who said what ( @Just Win Baby said the bolded, not me) or clarify what you said, as you ignored my question asking if you stood by your contention that Wilson was awful in the second half of the season, I am going to tap out of this conversation with you. Good day to you, sir.

This is the original claim I responded to. It's a bit of a silly hypothetical, but it's not my hypothetical.

1. Remove all of Jackson's running, and he had 3127 passing yards, 161 passing first downs, 36 passing TDs, 6 interceptions.
  2. Meanwhile, Wilson had 4110 passing yards, 190 passing first downs, 31 passing TDs, 5 interceptions, 342 rushing yards, 17 rushing first downs, and 3 rushing TDs.
  3. Even if you also ignore Wilson's rushing -- which was not the original hypothetical -- +983 more passing yards, +29 more passing first downs, -1 interception >>> +5 passing TDs.
  4. That delta in passing performance is even more impressive considering PFF graded the BAL pass blocking as #1 in the NFL and SEA pass blocking as #30.
  5. There was some discussion about supporting cast above, and it clearly favors the Ravens.

PFF's final grade for OLs after the 2019 season had BAL at #2 and SEA at #27.
  6. The Ravens RBs were slightly better. Carson had more production than any BAL RB, but Ingram and Edwards combined for more YFS and TDs than Carson and Penny.
  7. The Seahawks WRs were much better, no question.
  8. The Ravens TEs were much better, no question.
  9. The Ravens defense was much better, no question. BAL was #3 in points allowed and #4 in yards allowed, compared to SEA at #22 and #26, respectively.
  10. The Ravens special teams were much better, no question. PFF graded BAL #3 and SEA #15.
  11. Excluding QB, it is obvious that BAL had a much, much better team than SEA. Thus, there is no question that Wilson's performance was much more critical -- more valuable -- to his team's success than Jackson's. I think that is true even if Jackson's rushing counts, but it doesn't for this exercise.

Since the NFL regular season expanded to 16 games in 1978, 44 players have won MVP (with co-MVPs twice). 32 of those players were QBs. None of them passed for as few as 3127 passing yards, and McNair was really the only one to come close at 3154.

Yes, in this hypothetical scenario that I did not originally pose, Wilson would have won MVP in a runaway.

Wrong. As it was, Wilson was 2nd team All Pro last season, and deservedly so. Without rushing, Jackson wouldn't have been 1st team, moving Wilson up.

Wrong. It wasn't @Ghost Rider, it was me, quoted above in response to the hypothetical situation posed by @CalBear.
You continue to ignore the fact that Lamar only played 14 games. Over a 16 game season the first downs become roughly even, the tds become +10 for Lamar, his passer rating (also ignored in your response) remains higher. His passing yards extrapolated over 16 games are within 540 of Russ and we could add a pick to Lamar to have him with 2 more than Russ. So now we’re looking at +10 tds and a better passer rating for Lamar compared to +540 passing yards and -2 picks for Russ. That’s a runaway?

I jumped in here a little late but I’d assume it would be obvious that if we’re taking out Lamar Jackson’s dominant rushing to judge just his passing stats compared to the rest of the league then we wouldn’t be letting the other QBs keep their rushing stats either. Again I can’t speak to however the original question was stated that seems rather obvious as the intent of the conversation.

And yes his supporting cast on offense is better because of the OL. Don’t think anyone said differently. But the skill position players are about the same. And it’s not like they ended up with equal records. The Ravens were +3 games. If you want to call that all even then fine we’re back to the passing stats and they’re pretty close too. It’s just absurd to say that the guy who led the league in tds and passer rating while his team achieved the best record in football and went through just a ridiculously hot stretch for a large chunk of the season would get blown out for MVP.

You continue to ignore the fact that Lamar only played 14 games. Over a 16 game season the first downs become roughly even, the tds become +10 for Lamar, his passer rating (also ignored in your response) remains higher. His passing yards extrapolated over 16 games are within 540 of Russ and we could add a pick to Lamar to have him with 2 more than Russ. So now we’re looking at +10 tds and a better passer rating for Lamar compared to +540 passing yards and -2 picks for Russ. That’s a runaway?
I'm not ignoring anything. MVP awards are based on what players did, not what they might have done in different circumstances, such as if they played more.

Yes, runaway.

I jumped in here a little late but I’d assume it would be obvious that if we’re taking out Lamar Jackson’s dominant rushing to judge just his passing stats compared to the rest of the league then we wouldn’t be letting the other QBs keep their rushing stats either. Again I can’t speak to however the original question was stated that seems rather obvious as the intent of the conversation.
That wasn't how the hypothetical was posed, but, as I already posted, I don't think it changes the outcome one way or another.

And yes his supporting cast on offense is better because of the OL. Don’t think anyone said differently. But the skill position players are about the same. And it’s not like they ended up with equal records. The Ravens were +3 games. If you want to call that all even then fine we’re back to the passing stats and they’re pretty close too. It’s just absurd to say that the guy who led the league in tds and passer rating while his team achieved the best record in football and went through just a ridiculously hot stretch for a large chunk of the season would get blown out for MVP.
You seem to want to ignore the fact that the Ravens had a much better defense and much better special teams. That matters, because it allowed Jackson the luxury of only having to attempt 401 passes, including just 99 when trailing. In contrast, Wilson attempted 297 passes when Seattle was trailing. Now, contrast their passer ratings when trailing: Jackson 90.8, Wilson 110.1.

Yep, it's still a runaway.

I'm not ignoring anything. MVP awards are based on what players did, not what they might have done in different circumstances, such as if they played more.

Yes, runaway.

That wasn't how the hypothetical was posed, but, as I already posted, I don't think it changes the outcome one way or another.

You seem to want to ignore the fact that the Ravens had a much better defense and much better special teams. That matters, because it allowed Jackson the luxury of only having to attempt 401 passes, including just 99 when trailing. In contrast, Wilson attempted 297 passes when Seattle was trailing. Now, contrast their passer ratings when trailing: Jackson 90.8, Wilson 110.1.

Yep, it's still a runaway.
Lol oh ok so you can argue things like supporting cast and passer rating while trailing to bring down the things that Lamar actually did but I can’t extrapolate his stats over 16 games to account for the Lamar and the Ravens whooping teams so bad he could be rested in the 4th quarter and week 17? Got it. Looks like we’re done here. 

Lol oh ok so you can argue things like supporting cast and passer rating while trailing to bring down the things that Lamar actually did but I can’t extrapolate his stats over 16 games to account for the Lamar and the Ravens whooping teams so bad he could be rested in the 4th quarter and week 17? Got it. Looks like we’re done here. 
Sure, we can agree to disagree. Especially if you think Jackson is in Wilson's league as a passer right now. He may get there, but he has a ways to go. Just as Wilson did after his second year.

He won a Heisman at 19 and was 2nd youngest to win MVP at 22. Got him at 55-1 in August to win MVP.

I'm sold. 

Sure, we can agree to disagree. Especially if you think Jackson is in Wilson's league as a passer right now. He may get there, but he has a ways to go. Just as Wilson did after his second year.
I agree that Russ is a more skilled passer at this point. Lamar’s elite rushing ability stresses the defense so much that passing the ball is an easier job comparatively for him.

Exactly.  Not to mention that Lamar played 15 games, not 14 (as incorrectly stated today).
He sat week 17 and sat all of or large chunks of the 4th quarter in 5 games. Now I asked you directly if you thought JWB was correct in his stance about Russ winning in a runaway and you said you didn’t agree but you’ve jumped in a couple times to the defense of that notion now. Whats your actual opinion? Take a stand it’ll be good for you.

He sat week 17 and sat all of or large chunks of the 4th quarter in 5 games. Now I asked you directly if you thought JWB was correct in his stance about Russ winning in a runaway and you said you didn’t agree but you’ve jumped in a couple times to the defense of that notion now. Whats your actual opinion?
Neither QB should have won in a runaway. I thought Jackson was a deserving winner, but no way in hell should he have been only the 2nd unanimous winner of the award ever.  However, the media loves to vote for surprise candidates who do this well and who had never won it before. Had Mahomes had the exact same season in 2019 instead of Jackson, the year after winning it, with all of those rushing yards (which I think seduced the media, hence the 50-0 vote), no way would he have won it unanimously. 

Neither QB should have won in a runaway. I thought Jackson was a deserving winner, but no way in hell should he have been only the 2nd unanimous winner of the award ever.  However, the media loves to vote for surprise candidates who do this well and who had never won it before. Had Mahomes had the exact same season in 2019 instead of Jackson, the year after winning it, with all of those rushing yards (which I think seduced the media, hence the 50-0 vote), no way would he have won it unanimously. 
Okkkk that wasn’t what the recent discussion was centered around but it’s a hot enough take in it’s own right. So to be clear you think a few people should have voted for someone other than Lamar just because? He didn’t distance himself enough by having by far the greatest rushing season by a Qb all time while also having a top 2 at worst season as a Qb throwing the ball? It was the surprise/newcomer factor rather than all that? I think if Mahomes had thrown a 40+ td pace in 2019 and added a historic rushing season he also walks away unanimously with MVP as well.

Honestly, the problem is there should have been more unanimous winners. You have one or two voters being contrarian for no reason. Did Tom Brady really deserve one vote in 2013 when Manning threw for 5,477/55?

Okkkk that wasn’t what the recent discussion was centered around but it’s a hot enough take in it’s own right. So to be clear you think a few people should have voted for someone other than Lamar just because? He didn’t distance himself enough by having by far the greatest rushing season by a Qb all time while also having a top 2 at worst season as a Qb throwing the ball? It was the surprise/newcomer factor rather than all that? I think if Mahomes had thrown a 40+ td pace in 2019 and added a historic rushing season he also walks away unanimously with MVP as well.
I didn't say that. Not sure why you are intent in putting words in the mouths of others instead of focusing on what we actually said.

Honestly, the problem is there should have been more unanimous winners. You have one or two voters being contrarian for no reason. Did Tom Brady really deserve one vote in 2013 when Manning threw for 5,477/55?
Yep, the voting is so goofy more often than not, and not just in football.  Heck, look at basketball where Steph Curry was the first unanimous MVP winner ever in a sport where somehow guys like Jordan, James, Magic and Bird were never unanimous winners. 

I didn't say that. Not sure why you are intent in putting words in the mouths of others instead of focusing on what we actually said.

Yep, the voting is so goofy more often than not, and not just in football.  Heck, look at basketball where Steph Curry was the first unanimous MVP winner ever in a sport where somehow guys like Jordan, James, Magic and Bird were never unanimous winners. 
You said that he shouldn’t have been unanimous and that he shouldn’t have won in a runaway. How is that going to be achieved if some people don’t vote for someone else? 

Lamar Jackson expects to run less in 2020. 

“I doubt if I’m going to be carrying the ball a lot going on in the future,” Jackson claimed. “We’ve got dynamic running backs. We’re going to have even more receivers." This falls under the "believe it when you see it" offseason chatter category. Jackson's 176 carries in 2019 broke his own single-season record for quarterbacks by 29. It stands to reason the Ravens would like to dial that number back a bit and try to limit L-Jax's exposure to big hits, but 150 remains a sensible over/under for his totes.   

SOURCE: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com

Apr 21, 2020, 5:09 PM ET

(thehuddle) Baltimore Ravens QB Lamar Jackson threw 25 touchdowns from the pocket in 2019, which ranked first among quarterbacks. Analysis: Jackson was one of the top quarterbacks in the NFL this past season and should have similar success in 2020. He should be one of the first quarterbacks selected in all fantasy leagues.

If I owned him I'd be trading him......for all the goodies I could get. He won't run forever. When he stops running he won't be special. The drop off will come so fast. He's worth a lot right now. Go get it.....   

Kyler Murray + a nugget you like?

Wilson + a nice nugget?

Lamar + a nugget for Mahomes?

He's likely to be worth less this time next year. Just my opinion. Fwiw

If I owned him I'd be trading him......for all the goodies I could get. He won't run forever. When he stops running he won't be special. The drop off will come so fast. He's worth a lot right now. Go get it.....   

Wilson + a nice nugget?

I agree with you.  i said it last year, I've never seen a team literally game plan to get their qb hit and potentially injured. It's like the ravens themselves think he has a 3 year window

The Ravens present a pretty good buy low opportunity for its pass catchers IMO. Boykin is a physical specimen who can be had for cheap, I love Duvernay’s upside as a pass catcher/YAC specialist and if he can improve his route running watch out, and Brown presents great upside if he can stay healthy and I feel like he is discounted from his upside potential. If Lamar continues to improve as a passer (which I thought he made a great leap last year compared to his rookie season) this could be an opportunity to get in on the action at ground level.

Wilson + a nice nugget?

Wait, you want to get while the getting is good on Jackson by trading him for Kyler and a nugget?  I would say Kyler has the same injury risk and has not shown the upside of Jackson.  That would make no sense to me making that trade.

I can understand the Wilson approach if you really fear Jackson's injury risk and of course Mahomes is an obvious move.  But I don't get the Kyler Murray offer.  This makes not sense to me.  Just stick with the better version.

Wait, you want to get while the getting is good on Jackson by trading him for Kyler and a nugget?  I would say Kyler has the same injury risk and has not shown the upside of Jackson.  That would make no sense to me making that trade.

I can understand the Wilson approach if you really fear Jackson's injury risk and of course Mahomes is an obvious move.  But I don't get the Kyler Murray offer.  This makes not sense to me.  Just stick with the better version.
Kyler Murray has a long career as a pocket passer in front of him when he's done running. He has a very talented arm. Lamar Jackson does not. 

Kyler Murray has a long career as a pocket passer in front of him when he's done running. He has a very talented arm. Lamar Jackson does not. 
Lamar can make all the throws he has to make.  Baltimore has done a great job building to his strengths.  He may not have all the throws but he isn't asked to do them.  Sounds like we will be on opposite ends of the Lamar throwing spectrum.  I think he is fine.  I am also not as sold on Kyler's ability as you seem to be.  So I think we would be perfect trade partners if I had Kyler an you had Lamar......

You're certainly entitled to you're opinion and I certainly could be wrong but I've seen enough to think he does and I'm willing to value him that high. 

There's very little value in waiting for a player to prove he's a 100% sure thing. 

You're certainly entitled to you're opinion and I certainly could be wrong but I've seen enough to think he does and I'm willing to value him that high. 

There's very little value in waiting for a player to prove he's a 100% sure thing. 
There's little gain and a lot to lose trading a proven sure thing for a maybe. I have found a maybe can be very overvalued. 

ESPN's Jamison Hensley reports Ravens QB Lamar Jackson is "fine" after tumbling over a jet ski in a video posted on social media.

Phew. Jackson appeared to tumble somewhat awkwardly while messing around with some friends at the beach, but the 2019 MVP is reportedly fine. The Ravens' franchise QB enters 2020 as the near-consensus fantasy QB1.

SOURCE: Jamison Hensley on Twitter

Jun 15, 2020, 11:51 AM ET

Users who are viewing this thread