What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jack Doyle needs a thread (1 Viewer)

Anything to see going forward? Or does he revert back to obscure streaming candidate, and irrelevant once Allen returns?

Anything to see going forward? Or does he revert back to obscure streaming candidate, and irrelevant once Allen returns?
Allen might have a high ankle sprain so he might be a while.   I'm more concerned with Moncrief eating some of those posession catchs.   I think Moncrief is what Luck has been missing.   Not that he has been terrible.   We'll see soon.

I'm in! Just picked Doyle off the FA waiver wire dropping Fleener. I like what I am seeing and he catches the ball! I don't see too much of a fall off with injured players returning to the lineup soon.

In on Doyle this week, I think he can top 5 catches and 50 yards as Moncrief knocks the rust off, but will be looking very closely at how both Moncrief and eventually Allen come back, as I think Doyle -- while he's admirably stepped up his game and is being used as a phenomenal safety valve -- will regress and his role decrease over time.

In on Doyle this week, I think he can top 5 catches and 50 yards as Moncrief knocks the rust off, but will be looking very closely at how both Moncrief and eventually Allen come back, as I think Doyle -- while he's admirably stepped up his game and is being used as a phenomenal safety valve -- will regress and his role decrease over time.
plus he has a Week 10 bye

Yo brother, Jack Doyle is the Chuck Norris of the NFL.

Starting him over Olsen RoS. He does everything.

Top 5 breakout TE. You never saw it coming.

Got him in over Will Fuller at the flex spot despite what the rankings say.  Houston offense is trash with Osweiller and at least Doyle has a good shot at a TD that would save my bacon.  I can't afford another 1-2 point day out of Fuller. 

Got him in over Will Fuller at the flex spot despite what the rankings say.  Houston offense is trash with Osweiller and at least Doyle has a good shot at a TD that would save my bacon.  I can't afford another 1-2 point day out of Fuller. 
You shouldn't have been using Fuller after Week 4 anyway (I'm sure you had hjm benched v. MIN & he was hurt after that.) He's healthy again now, he's been pretty productive when he is, & will have Lawson covering him. With Slay out, both Houston WRs should be green lighted.

That said, I like Doyle as a Flex option this week a lot. I think he's a top 5 TE Week 8. Just feels weird starting two TEs, this year we changed it from W/R to W/R/T.

I'm going with Barnidge this week and Mr Doyle will ride my bench. 

KC shuts down TEs. 1 TD allowed to a Te dating back to last year is what I'd read. No TE more than 55 yards.

i still have mad  :wub: for Doyle, just not this week.

I'm going with Barnidge this week and Mr Doyle will ride my bench. 

KC shuts down TEs. 1 TD allowed to a Te dating back to last year is what I'd read. No TE more than 55 yards.

i still have mad  :wub: for Doyle, just not this week.
ok, a 6-55 line for Doyle in FFPC is north of 14 points, not a dud start?

ok, a 6-55 line for Doyle in FFPC is north of 14 points, not a dud start?
Huh?

6+5..5 > 14?

:confused:

Weird math - thats 11.5 in my book. 

And that's the highest yardage total, not the average. 

Theyve shut down some very good TEs. 

And allowed 1 TD to a TE dating back to last year. 

More likely Doyle is on the lower end,like 3/30, which in my league would be 6 points. 

Huh?

6+5..5 > 14?

:confused:

Weird math - thats 11.5 in my book. 

And that's the highest yardage total, not the average. 

Theyve shut down some very good TEs. 

And allowed 1 TD to a TE dating back to last year. 

More likely Doyle is on the lower end,like 3/30, which in my league would be 6 points. 
FFPC is 1.5 per reception, which is why i specified FFPC

FFPC is 1.5 per reception, which is why i specified FFPC
Oh - thanks, I have no idea what FFPC is or how the scoring is set.1.5 is hardly standard scoring.

and again - you can assume neither 6 receptions (seems high with Moncrief returning & Eric Berry coverage) nor 55 yards. 

I wish you luck if you start him. If you have a better option, this is the week to bench Doyle. 

And I was one of the few pushing people to play Doyle last week - in fact my projection for him was damn near perfect. So it's not like I'm a Doyle hater. 

Worst possible matchup. 

Jack Doyle and Superman once fought each other on a bet.  The loser had to start wearing his underwear on the outside of his pants.
Did you know Jack Doyle is an Indianapolis native? #trustorybro

There used to be a street named after Chuck Norris Jack Doyle, but it was changed because nobody crosses Chuck Norris Jack Doyle and lives.

Did you know Jack Doyle is an Indianapolis native? #trustorybro

There used to be a street named after Chuck Norris Jack Doyle, but it was changed because nobody crosses Chuck Norris Jack Doyle and lives.
Do you know if the #88 jersey is retired?  I know Doyle isn't in Mackey's stratosphere yet, but it would have been a cool part of the story.

Oh - thanks, I have no idea what FFPC is or how the scoring is set.1.5 is hardly standard scoring.

and again - you can assume neither 6 receptions (seems high with Moncrief returning & Eric Berry coverage) nor 55 yards. 

I wish you luck if you start him. If you have a better option, this is the week to bench Doyle. 

And I was one of the few pushing people to play Doyle last week - in fact my projection for him was damn near perfect. So it's not like I'm a Doyle hater. 

Worst possible matchup. 
I get your point with Berry, but Moncrief back might actually be a good thing for Doyle, also game script in his favor, likely playing from behind and throwing.

On an unrelated tangent to this thread, I finally dropped Dwayne Allen in dynasty.  He's hurt again, and even when he's healthy such a tease.  I know he's young, but I'm tired of him wasting a good roster spot. Riddance!

I get your point with Berry, but Moncrief back might actually be a good thing for Doyle, also game script in his favor, likely playing from behind and throwing.
Could not disagree more. The Chiefs are not a high scoring team, so game-script doesn't indicate the Colts playing from behind.  If it's a Chiefs advantage, it'll likely be a close defensive matchup and I don't see the Colts abandoning the run, because Gore has been running well and KC isn't as good against the run without Houston on the field. 

IMO game script feeds into Doyle not performing this week. Close game, KC shuts down TEs and TYH & DM will be the more reliable plays. 

but it's your roster - start him if you feel good about it.  I think this week he's a huge bust at TE. 

Why is everyone saying KC is great against TE's here's the all-world list they've played each week.

Antonio Gates (SD)
Stephen Anderson (Hou)
Braedon Bowman (NYJ)
Jesse James (Pit)
Clive Walford (Oak)
Coby Fleener (NO)

Why is everyone saying KC is great against TE's here's the all-world list they've played each week.

Antonio Gates (SD)
Stephen Anderson (Hou)
Braedon Bowman (NYJ)
Jesse James (Pit)
Clive Walford (Oak)
Coby Fleener (NO)
go back to game 1 of last year. The list gets better. 

Also, of note on that list are several QBs who use the TE with frequency. Roethlisburger, Brees, Rivers all pretty good QBs. To have their TE's shut down says something. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Antonio Gates (SD)
Stephen Anderson (Hou)
Braedon Bowman (NYJ)
Jesse James (Pit)
Clive Walford (Oak)
Coby Fleener (NO)
Doyle isn't a world beater. He's likely less gifted than half the guys on that list.

This really isn't a good match-up, I might look towards Brate or Fiedorowicz instead.

Real compelling arguments here about Doyle potentially performing lower than expectations this week. Having a tough time deciding to slot him in to play, or claim Fiedorowicz or Brate -- for both this weekend and for long haul.

This weekend Moncrief naturally takes a few looks away from Doyle, but hard to tell how much Moncrief will need to shake rust off. It's my experience/gut feeling that WRs coming back from an extended time off from injury are more often decoys in their first game back than not, just to get back into game speed.

Then there's the general harder matchup vs the Chiefs. 

Not sure what to do this weekend -- I think Brate may actually be the best ROS hold, but not by much, so may dump Doyle for him and play through, not having to worry about byes. 

This weekend Moncrief naturally takes a few looks away from Doyle, but hard to tell how much Moncrief will need to shake rust off. It's my experience/gut feeling that WRs coming back from an extended time off from injury are more often decoys in their first game back than not, just to get back into game speed.

Then there's the general harder matchup vs the Chiefs. 
IMO, these two things are related, and favor Moncrief more than Doyle. 

For one, the Colts can't afford the luxury of a decoy - if Moncrief is out there I expect him to be targeted. Peters will cover Dorsett, so that's the no-fly zone, which adds targets to Hilton & Moncrief, and would add targets to Doyle except  Berry is general covering the move TE. 

Hilton was reported to have a hip injury on Thursday, so that further clouds things, but with HIlton banged up and Moncrief against the inferior DB, I have to assume he's going to be the biggest beneficiary this weekend. 

Plus the report about Indy's OL suffering might relegate Doyle to blocking more. 

KC is kind of weak against the run, so this could end up being a Gore-heavy gameplan, with some PA-passing once KC creeps up to stop the run.  It all kinda adds up to a bad day for Doyle in my eyes.

Of course, whenever it all sounds so clear that's when the fantasy football gods smite us for our insolence and give Doyle a monster day on our benches. And as we've seen, he can be a great RZ target, so a 3 reception, 2 TD game is possible. 

Not sure what to do this weekend -- I think Brate may actually be the best ROS hold, but not by much, so may dump Doyle for him and play through, not having to worry about byes. 
Tough call - it's good to have options. I'm not as impressed with Brate as I was earlier in the season. I thought he'd have a monster day against SF and he didn't do a whole lot. Fiedorowicz might be your best play. Dunno....good luck though! 

Boys.   Don't over think it.  
Not overthinking it - just looking at the situation. It possibly the worst matchup/circumstances. 

If you have a better option, I'd use it. 

Jack be nimble and jack be quick!
If you don't have a better option, I wish you luck with this. No pun intended.  ;)  

Believe me - I want to see him do well since he's my TE1A to Barnidge.

i'm going matchups from here out assuming they're both healthy. 

Ha I dropped Brate for Doyle, just need a TE through next week. My problem with Brate is he's had all these opportunities and he's had one good game, I'd rather bet on Doyle to continue the last 2 games than for Brate to start producing, his juicy matchup with SF amouted to squat, started him 2x chasing his 2TD game, just not that involved.

Kicking myself for not listening to my own gut and going with CJF or even Brate. Nagging feeling about Doyle being used to block more, getting targets leached by Moncrief, getting covered well by KC all were right. Could have really used the TDs from the other guys.

Colts coach Chuck Pagano said Jack Doyle has earned Andrew Luck's trust.
Doyle led all NFL tight ends in catch rate (78.7%) last season and ranked fifth in red-zone receptions (9). "He's a reliable, reliable guy," Pagano said. "The quarterback has a ton of faith and trust in that guy. He's always where he's supposed to be, and that makes a huge difference." GM Chris Ballard said the Colts signed Doyle to a three-year, $19 million deal with half of it guaranteed because Doyle "stood for everything we want to stand for." Doyle offers touchdown upside in the late rounds of fantasy drafts.

Source: Herald-Bulletin

Absolute silence here on Jack Doyle this preseason.

Many touted him as a "solid play" with his rapport last year with Luck still in place and D. Allen leaving the Colts.

I nabbed him in a 12 teamer I am in as a very late pick. Now that Luck likely won't be playing for a couple weeks, what is everyone's thoughts on him....?

I kind of see this as a double edged sword.  When Luck comes back, he may well throw to him quite a bit more, many smaller dump-off "security blanket" type passes.

But all that aside, is he even startable if he has Tolzien under center????  Even though Tolzien might look his way a tremendous amount, rather than chuck it downfield, he may well be so bad that Doyle just isn't startable.

Thoughts????

TZM

I'll take him as a backup te flier but won't be upset if someone else nabs him. I want someone else to start while I see how it shakes out. More confident when luck comes back. I don't think tolzein will be completely inept, 200-275 yards, 0-2 tds. I wouldn't expect any more upside than he had before, maybe he gets a few more easy catches as luck doesn't want to push it downfield or something but he's already an upside pick, not a safe floor kind of guy. I could just as easily see him staying in to block as they run and try to protect luck. Seems they could be a good landing spot for a cut rb, forte/gore committee might hold up for a year. 

So I was just going through some receiving stats after most players have played 8 games.

Stunned to find Jack Doyle is 6th in the league right now in receptions.  :shock:

3 of the top six players are not even WRs. McCaffrey, Kelce and Doyle.

Wide receivers as a group just not going so well this year in total receptions so far. 22 of the top 50 players in receptions are RB or TEs.

Since it's amazing the guy didn't have a dedicated thread (best options were this one and Jack Doyle #4 PPR TE going forward. Why?), I decided to update this one with the info I was posting on other threads here:

from the waiver wire thread a few days ago:

Jack Doyle had a limited practice today. He might play Week 8, and then he has a Bye Week 9. Now is the chance to get him; the first two weeks of the season he played 94% and 97% of the snaps since Indy runs 2 TE frequently.  Even if he is out Week 8, he'll definitely be ready by Week 10. In this turrible TE market I can see Doyle ascending to Top 6 TE value easy once healthy ROS:

10 - Nov 11JAC

11 - Nov 18 TEN

12 - Nov 25 MIA

13 - Dec 2 @JAC

14 - Dec 9 @HOU

15 - Dec 16 DAL

16 - Dec 23 NYG

That's not a daunting sched: even Jacksonville is scuffling on D recently.
and now today:

Jack Doyle (hip) remained "limited" on Thursday.

Coach Frank Reich has said Doyle has a "chance" to return against the Raiders. It's possible the Colts are easing Doyle back in with an eye toward having him return following the team's Week 9 bye. We should have a good idea as to Doyle's status by Friday afternoon. He would not be fantasy viable, though he would downgrade Eric Ebron.
Two 'limited's in a row make me believe he's on the right track to be fully healthy by Week 10. I'm very tempted to start him now with a juicy match-up @Oakland.

I can't imagine playing him this week. Ebron didn't do much vs BUF last week because they didn't need him to. The same could happen this week and Doyle is likely to get the dreaded "eased back into action" even if he is active.

Colts coach Frank Reich expects Jack Doyle (hip) to play against the Raiders in Week 8.

Doyle resumed practicing on a limited basis this week and should be on the field Sunday when the Colts travel to Oakland. His return is bad news for Eric Ebron, who was dominating in Doyle's absence.
You wonder if he'll be eased in, will definitely monitor the situation Sunday morning. Been getting killed playing RSJ recently and having Doyle and his usually safe floor would really shore up my team ROS.

EDIT: TO add onto SayWhat?'s post

Doyle’s absence is a big loss for the Colts as no tight end played more snaps (136-of-143) over the first two weeks of the season.
He sat out 7 snaps in two full games.

Users who are viewing this thread