What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty Value Discussion Thread (15 Viewers)

Lindsay.....was a nice F/A pick up last year, almost impossible to trade him at this point, best offer I got is 2020 2nd (and most likely late 2nd) 
I traded him straight up for Kupp about 2-3 months ago in one of my PPR dynasty leagues. Yes there are Lindsay doubters (probably those that drafted Freeman mostly ;) ) but there are lots of believers (like me) who will absolutely give a 1st rounder for him. 

Last edited by a moderator:
What don't people get about replacement value?

In an IDP Zealots league, a guy sends on offer of the 4.09 for Danielle Hunter.

Of course I reject saying he's arguably a top 5 d-lineman.

He replies with "Very true....but he's still a DL. Not a lot of value there."

Me: But the odds of replacing his value with a fourth round pick are nearly zero.

Him: 1st DL in last year's rookie draft went 3.10, and Hunter wasn't even drafted in the 2015 rookie draft, so the odds are WAY better than zero.

I stopped there but, isn't it obvious that has nothing to do with it? D-linemen go late because of both position and difficulty predicting protection. That just means that when a guy's an actual producer that his value has appreciated. He basically wanted me to trade him a known asset for the chance at getting lucky. 

This is the reason I'm just about done with dynasty leagues. Trading is necessary but almost always ends up stupid.
It's less about replacement for me and more about why would I possibly trade a guy I believe in or has proven their worth as a valuable piece on my roster for a rookie I MIGHT believe in if I even get who I want at that pick 30 spots away or more.  It's across leagues. 

I refuse to send offers of a 3rd or 4th round pick (or later) straight up for someone unless they're about to get cut by a team.  Nobody is worth those picks for the owner of the player.  Just to use an example, I own Curtis Samuel a lot and people want him for a minimal pick but why would I trade him for a 3rd or 4th?  He's obviously a favorite of mine (or I wouldn't roster him), and all I'd be doing is getting a minimal pick flier in return instead of thinking my own player will pan out.  There's risk for both sure, maybe even more on my end believing in my own player, but nobody is willing to trade their end of bench guys for minimal picks. 

You have to mitigate that risk by offering something of value.  The only exception to that is if there are roster cuts.  FFPC you see deals like that all the time, 6th for this guy, 4th and 7th for that guy which is understandable, but if I have players on my team, they're either worth 2nds or more I don't care how bad a player he might be.  I own Chris Warren in a couple of those leagues, would I trade him for a 3rd or 4th?  Hell no.  Give me value in return or get out of my inbox.  

It's less about replacement for me and more about why would I possibly trade a guy I believe in or has proven their worth as a valuable piece on my roster for a rookie I MIGHT believe in if I even get who I want at that pick 30 spots away or more.  It's across leagues. 

I refuse to send offers of a 3rd or 4th round pick (or later) straight up for someone unless they're about to get cut by a team.  Nobody is worth those picks for the owner of the player.  Just to use an example, I own Curtis Samuel a lot and people want him for a minimal pick but why would I trade him for a 3rd or 4th?  He's obviously a favorite of mine (or I wouldn't roster him), and all I'd be doing is getting a minimal pick flier in return instead of thinking my own player will pan out.  There's risk for both sure, maybe even more on my end believing in my own player, but nobody is willing to trade their end of bench guys for minimal picks. 

You have to mitigate that risk by offering something of value.  The only exception to that is if there are roster cuts.  FFPC you see deals like that all the time, 6th for this guy, 4th and 7th for that guy which is understandable, but if I have players on my team, they're either worth 2nds or more I don't care how bad a player he might be.  I own Chris Warren in a couple of those leagues, would I trade him for a 3rd or 4th?  Hell no.  Give me value in return or get out of my inbox.  
I don't at get your stance at all.   I roster plenty of players I don't believe in fully, or even want to really roster.  You can't possibly claim that every player you roster is "obviously a favorite of mine, or I wouldn't roster him."   I don't at all believe that to be realistically possible.  More realistically is I would guess that some of the players you roster simply have more value than what's left on the waiver wire.  Or some of those player's you may have once believed in have had injuries, lack of production, or a situational change that has impacted your valuation of that player.  But to say the players you roster "are all worth 2nds or more" is out there in fantasy land IMO.

Both of the players you've listed are great examples.  For Warren, I don't fault anyone for holding.  But for the sake of argument let's say you were high on him last preseason before he got hurt.  Now he's sat the whole year, his team signed a respectable veteran RB (Crowell), and it now holds three picks in the range that the top RB may be selected in the NFL draft...well, let's just say that I own Warren and I'd insta-accept a 3rd and would likely take a 4th for him.  Samuel?   Let's say you drafted him two years ago in the early 2nd round of your rookie draft because you loved his college tape and what he brought to the table.  Big time ppr upside as an underneath safety net for Newton.  Two years later, he's had 54 total receptions, his team brought in a 1st round WR last year whom looks like the real deal, they have a RB that's a lock for 100+ targets, and even when Samuel finally started to get integrated into the offense he just as often had 4 targets or less per game than he did more.  While I likely wouldn't accept a 3rd if I held him, it's not out of line with what I'd consider.  Sure, 3rd and 4th round rookies are no guarantees for success.  But sometimes having your pick of what's on the board is better than being stuck with a prospect with little hope for viable fantasy production looking forward.  I'd throw both Warren and Samuel into that category.  Warren I think has very little chance of ever being "the guy" on an NFL team.  And I think Samuel is going to find it hard to carve out enough of a target share anywhere that provides enough volume to be a difference maker.   I guess your definition of what a "valuable piece on my roster" is (Warren and Samuel are not even close in my book) and "why would I possibly trade that piece for a rookie I MIGHT believe in" is just vastly different than mine.  And you seem overly offended by the notion of those offers.  Guess it's just a eye of the beholder thing, but just wanted to provide a vantage point from why the other side sometimes makes sense. 

Lindsay.....was a nice F/A pick up last year, almost impossible to trade him at this point, best offer I got is 2020 2nd (and most likely late 2nd) 
In one of my leagues a few weeks ago he was traded along with Royce and Russell Wilson for Baker and the 1.4. In another league a few days ago: Lindsay, Gus Edwards, and Hayden Hurst for Hyde, Yeldon and Ebron. i wasn't involved in either.

I roster plenty of players I don't believe in fully, or even want to really roster.  You can't possibly claim that every player you roster is "obviously a favorite of mine, or I wouldn't roster him."   I don't at all believe that to be realistically possible.  More realistically is I would guess that some of the players you roster simply have more value than what's left on the waiver wire.  Or some of those player's you may have once believed in have had injuries, lack of production, or a situational change that has impacted your valuation of that player.  But to say the players you roster "are all worth 2nds or more" is out there in fantasy land IMO.

And you seem overly offended by the notion of those offers.  
That still leads to the belief in a player.  It isn't fantasy land when late round picks are literally useless cloggers.  Someone is going to point to all these great picks you can find in those rounds, but it isn't a viable strategy to stock pile these picks.  You want talented players and studs at all positions.  That's basically the name of the game right?  How are you going to do that if you continually flip flop your end of bench spots for 3rds and 4ths or later?  It's a constant cycle if you do that.  What's the point in me selling a guy for a late round pick?  Maybe you like a guy at that point in time OTC or something, but your just exchanging 1 flier for another.  And then a year later nothing's changed or their situation is worse so you do it again.  Oh look at that you're 2 years in and still did nothing with your roster.  

It's a tedious process.  Accumulate late round picks, wait for them to hit or situation to damper, if they hit, great you can sell for something more valuable or keep them and hope it continues.  If their situation dampers go get a late round pick again and do the process over again?  Seems like a never ending cycle to me.  I find that to be a waste of time and valuable roster space.  

I'm holding guys because I believe in their opportunity and their talent, if you're not doing it that way, then why are you holding them at all?  I think Samuel clearly has more value than Warren does at this point, but who's to say Warren doesn't surprise people.  Some thought he was the better college RB at Texas than D'Onte Foreman on super limited touches.  

If someone comes to me with that offer (3rd or 4th for Warren or Samuel or any other flier), the only way I consider giving them up is if I'm cutting them anyways, otherwise they're worth more.  It's as simple as that.  I absolutely am offended if someone comes to me with that type of draft pick for a player on my team that I won't cut.  I don't value late round picks.  

It all comes down to this question though.  Why add minimal value to your team for a flier?  If a guy is interested in that flier then he can pay a price that would be worth it for me to sell.  A later pick isn't worth it for me to sell.  Call it an overpay if you want, but there's no reason for me to gift a player to someone else because their outlook may look bleak.    

In one of my leagues a few weeks ago he was traded along with Royce and Russell Wilson for Baker and the 1.4. In another league a few days ago: Lindsay, Gus Edwards, and Hayden Hurst for Hyde, Yeldon and Ebron. i wasn't involved in either.
That 1st trade is interesting. I can see a case for either side, but would probably slightly prefer Mayfield and the 1.4.

The 2nd deal is basically giving Lindsay away. Good sell high on Ebron by that owner.

That still leads to the belief in a player.  It isn't fantasy land when late round picks are literally useless cloggers. 

It all comes down to this question though.  Why add minimal value to your team for a flier? 
Yeah, I'm still baffled by the logic.  Guess it's just a difference of opinion on the value of players already on your roster vs future picks.  Warren was one of those "late round useless cloggers" just a year ago (even  undrafted in some rookie drafts), so just the fact that he's now on your roster now doesn't mean he's magically in some different value tier than the rookies in that range in this year's draft.   But your stance is that he's worth at least a 3rd to you, because you're rostering him and believe in him as an UDFA and late round rookie pick that did zero on the field in Year 1?  That's your prerogative, but you're in the tiny minority that wouldn't trade Warren for a 3rd in this year's draft.  Because when you make that trade, you're trading a very specific asset with minimal value (an undrafted free agent RB that's proven nothing one year into his career, on a team that has and will continue to undoubtedly upgrade at the position) for a rookie pick that gives you numerous options (drafting the best player available out of 10's of players remaining at numerous positions, trading the pick for a veteran player that holds more value and/or chance for success than Warren, trade the pick for a better future pick, etc). 

And to answer your question, additional information is available on that "flier" named Warren that has reduced my valuation of him.  I valued Warren in the preseason last year, when I felt he had an opportunity to carve out a role, far more than I do today.    That's because I don't believe he's going to receive that opportunity when he's up against a rookie RB that his new GM likely selects in the first 2-3 rounds of this draft, as well as the veteran that this new GM just signed.  So I would gladly give up on this (particular) flier for a chance a new flier, and trust that I'll pull someone from the rookie draft that has a much better chance for success than Warren presently has.  If you can't grasp the benefit there, then we simply approach dynasty differently.  You seem to take a hold and wait approach until the player either fully establishes themselves or fully craps out of the league.  I'm always looking for players that I believe provide me the better opportunity to improve my team.  If I deem Warren as no longer likely to do that, I'll move on from him for a dart throw in the 3rd or 4th round without hesitation if that's the best the market will bring. 

But to actually get offended by offers of 3rds or 4ths for someone like Warren, when that's at best where his value lies, is crazy town.

Me: But the odds of replacing his value with a fourth round pick are nearly zero.

Him: 1st DL in last year's rookie draft went 3.10, and Hunter wasn't even drafted in the 2015 rookie draft, so the odds are WAY better than zero.

I stopped there but, isn't it obvious that has nothing to do with it? D-linemen go late because of both position and difficulty predicting protection. That just means that when a guy's an actual producer that his value has appreciated. He basically wanted me to trade him a known asset for the chance at getting lucky. 

This is the reason I'm just about done with dynasty leagues. Trading is necessary but almost always ends up stupid.
Same format, I traded Hunter for an early 2020 1st and 2019 4.03.

Yeah, I'm still baffled by the logic.  Guess it's just a difference of opinion on the value of players already on your roster vs future picks.  Warren was one of those "late round useless cloggers" just a year ago (even  undrafted in some rookie drafts), so just the fact that he's now on your roster now doesn't mean he's magically in some different value tier than the rookies in that range in this year's draft.   But your stance is that he's worth at least a 3rd to you, because you're rostering him and believe in him as an UDFA and late round rookie pick that did zero on the field in Year 1?  That's your prerogative, but you're in the tiny minority that wouldn't trade Warren for a 3rd in this year's draft.  Because when you make that trade, you're trading a very specific asset with minimal value (an undrafted free agent RB that's proven nothing one year into his career, on a team that has and will continue to undoubtedly upgrade at the position) for a rookie pick that gives you numerous options (drafting the best player available out of 10's of players remaining at numerous positions, trading the pick for a veteran player that holds more value and/or chance for success than Warren, trade the pick for a better future pick, etc). 

And to answer your question, additional information is available on that "flier" named Warren that has reduced my valuation of him.  I valued Warren in the preseason last year, when I felt he had an opportunity to carve out a role, far more than I do today.    That's because I don't believe he's going to receive that opportunity when he's up against a rookie RB that his new GM likely selects in the first 2-3 rounds of this draft, as well as the veteran that this new GM just signed.  So I would gladly give up on this (particular) flier for a chance a new flier, and trust that I'll pull someone from the rookie draft that has a much better chance for success than Warren presently has.  If you can't grasp the benefit there, then we simply approach dynasty differently.  You seem to take a hold and wait approach until the player either fully establishes themselves or fully craps out of the league.  I'm always looking for players that I believe provide me the better opportunity to improve my team.  If I deem Warren as no longer likely to do that, I'll move on from him for a dart throw in the 3rd or 4th round without hesitation if that's the best the market will bring. 

But to actually get offended by offers of 3rds or 4ths for someone like Warren, when that's at best where his value lies, is crazy town.
I agree

In a 12 team non-ppr dynasty league, what do you see as Guice's value in terms of rookie draft picks?

I liked him in the draft, but was too far back in the 1st to get him. Now with the complications involved with his surgery and the re-signing of ADP, I'm hoping I can pick him up from an owner with rookie fever. What rookie draft picks would you give/want for him?

I would think 9 out of 10 Guice owners would need the 1.1 minimum to move him. I own him in half a dozen leagues and I don't think I'd move him for 1.1 this year unless I really needed a WR bad and one fell in the perfect spot. 

Just need better dynasty leagues. I traded the 1.11 for him a few weeks ago and think I got a steal.

The consensus for Guice is 1.1 or 1.1+, which personally I don't understand at all.

I don't even agree that he would be the consensus top back in this class which most seem to consider obvious.

He seems like a guy that the fantasy community has always been higher on than the NFL community.  Here we have a guy who was a late 2nd round NFL pick that teams were climbing over each other to avoid (trading up to make sure they could draft a different RB and didn't get stuck with Guice).  Meanwhile this year's draft has a guy that looks very likely to be a late 1st round pick or early 2nd at worst, who is much more of a passing threat than Guice (important for fantasy) and to top all that off Guice now is coming off of a torn ACL.

I can certainly understand some people preferring Guice, to each their own and all that, but I don't get how 99 out of 100 seem to prefer a late 2nd NFL round pick that NFL teams seem to hate with questionable receiving skills who is coming off a major injury easily over a likely late 1st round NFL pick that NFL teams reportedly really like who's skillset is more well rounded for fantasy.

The consensus for Guice is 1.1 or 1.1+, which personally I don't understand at all.

I don't even agree that he would be the consensus top back in this class which most seem to consider obvious.

He seems like a guy that the fantasy community has always been higher on than the NFL community.  Here we have a guy who was a late 2nd round NFL pick that teams were climbing over each other to avoid (trading up to make sure they could draft a different RB and didn't get stuck with Guice).  Meanwhile this year's draft has a guy that looks very likely to be a late 1st round pick or early 2nd at worst, who is much more of a passing threat than Guice (important for fantasy) and to top all that off Guice now is coming off of a torn ACL.

I can certainly understand some people preferring Guice, to each their own and all that, but I don't get how 99 out of 100 seem to prefer a late 2nd NFL round pick that NFL teams seem to hate with questionable receiving skills who is coming off a major injury easily over a likely late 1st round NFL pick that NFL teams reportedly really like who's skillset is more well rounded for fantasy.
All of this.  Couldn’t have said it better. The infatuation with Guice has made little sense for quite a while.  

that had complications in his recovery, and is part of an offense led by

*checks notes*

Case Keenum. Or is it Colt McCoy? Ourlads.com lists someone named Darvin Kiddy as the RWR across from Doctson. Fair to say they are in the market. Watch one of the top WRs go here next week and fall to the late 1st in rookie drafts. 

Is this an offense you want the presumed starting RB for? Guess it could be worse. I would certainly roster Guice with a gun to my head. I wouldn't give the 1.01 for him. At all. Before landing spots are known I'm thinking 1.06. 

*checks notes*

Case Keenum. Or is it Colt McCoy? Ourlads.com lists someone named Darvin Kiddy as the RWR across from Doctson. Fair to say they are in the market. Watch one of the top WRs go here next week and fall to the late 1st in rookie drafts. 

Is this an offense you want the presumed starting RB for? Guess it could be worse. I would certainly roster Guice with a gun to my head. I wouldn't give the 1.01 for him. At all. Before landing spots are known I'm thinking 1.06. 
That’s one of my biggest problems with Guice. The qbs and wrs are brutal and it could be like that for a while. 

*checks notes*

I'm buying all day at these prices.  Situations change fast in the NFL but talent prevails.

I think the argument is that Guice was a better talent than his draft stock would indicate, that he slipped due to character concerns, which are more important  to NFL teams than fantasy owners. And last year was a crazy deep RB class. Jacobs might not even go round 1 this year, with no competition.

I like Jacobs more than Guice as well, but it’s reasonable to prefer Guice. He’s the better athlete and I think his receiving ability is underrated.

I think the argument is that Guice was a better talent than his draft stock would indicate, that he slipped due to character concerns, which are more important  to NFL teams than fantasy owners. And last year was a crazy deep RB class. Jacobs might not even go round 1 this year, with no competition.

I like Jacobs more than Guice as well, but it’s reasonable to prefer Guice. He’s the better athlete and I think his receiving ability is underrated.
I pretty much agree with all of this.

And I'll add that last year I was sitting on some early picks and after the draft, after Guice dropped, I went back to watch several of his games trying to find stuff I did NOT like or to try and see if I could see an on the field reason for why he fell. Saw no reason. Decided to watch two game cut-ups of his in slo-mo to see if I was missing something, that exercise got me even higher on him. One of those games was against Florida which I counted at the time and I think they had 8 starters on that D who are in the NFL right now-which is why I picked that game,  and that's just the starters, the guy the Jaguars took at 29 last year-Taven Bryan, was a backup. This game was the year before he came out, his stats were modest, he had a costly fumble late in the game which likely cost them a win but against an incredibly loaded defense that overwhelmed his OL he looked great, actually reminded me a lot of younger Lynch.

All that did was 100% convince me that his personality, not really character concerns so much as personality, just turned a lot of teams off.

Then after that you get nothing but strong OTA/camp reports, Gruden talking about how good he in the passing game, etc, etc.

I'm 100% sold on the talent.

Except for arguably  one of the best OL coach's in the game, who they might struggle to retain after this season, I don't like a single thing around him. QB, pass catchers, presence of two capable veteran RB's.  Then you got the knee.  So other then talent not a lot to like but a young soon to be 22 year old talented RB just beats anything I'm seeing right now though I think post-draft it's possible I like a player or two more then him.

And he did look REALLY good in camp last year and even the long run he got hurt on. Yes it was just a glimpse, but he looked very impressive and the staff basically said they were building the offense around him. That says a lot IMO. 

What prices are you buying at, the 1.06?
I know you didn’t ask me, but to add my .02:

I put his value right around the 1.03.

I don’t love the top of this class, to put it mildly. There isn’t a prospect I like more than I liked Guice at this point last season. I’d take Jacobs over Guice, because he feels a lot safer. I also think it’s a relatively safe bet that the draft will push another prospect or 2 ahead of Guice. 

But I’m not taking Brown, a 2nd round receiver, or one of the other RBs over Guice - and that’s what you’re likely looking at around 1.04 - 1.06.

I know you didn’t ask me, but to add my .02:

I put his value right around the 1.03.

I don’t love the top of this class, to put it mildly. There isn’t a prospect I like more than I liked Guice at this point last season. I’d take Jacobs over Guice, because he feels a lot safer. I also think it’s a relatively safe bet that the draft will push another prospect or 2 ahead of Guice. 

But I’m not taking Brown, a 2nd round receiver, or one of the other RBs over Guice - and that’s what you’re likely looking at around 1.04 - 1.06.
This valuation seems right to me as well. 

I would, without question, take Jacobs over Guice right now. Other than that, Guice would slot an 1.02 for me if he were in this class. 

1.03, given that Guice is coming off a major injury seems like a reasonable trade inflection point.

I would, without question, take Jacobs over Guice right now. Other than that, Guice would slot an 1.02 for me if he were in this class. 
This is exactly where I'm at right now. Put another way if I was in a league that held it's draft before the NFL draft and Guice was in the pool I'd take Jacobs at 1 and Guice at 2.

*checks notes*

Saquon Barkley is considered the consensus 1.01 in all of dynasty right now and he has a QB that's only marginally better than these two pieces of ####.  They Giants receivers are only marginally better than the trash that Washington has, and I'd say that Washington has far better TE and OL.

How do we feel about Cook vs Mixon right now?

I feel like they are in the same tier-ish, but if you owned one, would you trade straight up for the other? Would either side have to add a piece?

Have an offer on the table where the other owner wants to send me mixon and dion lewis for Cook and Pettis. I am not interested in that particular deal, because my team is super bad at wr, and also I have no desire to own lewis.

I do however have Cook in a few too many spots and if the situation arose where i could divest but stay in the same tier of player, I think that would be smart, so I am willing to deal cook if the offer were closer to what I need in that spot.

Just wanted to take you guys' temperature on the whole thing since ive mostly been on the buying end of Cook to this point.

I own both in multiple leagues and Cook on a little more then half of my teams, like both and think both are about to take a step up but  I'd take Mixon. Younger, to me a little better, has been more durable and Bengals seem to be a little more aggressive on addressing OL issues then Vikings have been.

Saquon Barkley is considered the consensus 1.01 in all of dynasty right now and he has a QB that's only marginally better than these two pieces of ####.  They Giants receivers are only marginally better than the trash that Washington has, and I'd say that Washington has far better TE and OL.
Barkley is in a different talent stratosphere than Guice, so I think comparing anyone to what Barkley was able to do in a mediocre setting is nonrelevant.  

I put it around 1.06 at the moment, because I think two of Jacobs/Montgomery/Henderson will go to a favorable spot. I would easily take whoever those two would be over Guice. I imagine at least 3 of the top WRs will go to favorable spots. I understand WA can improve and that Guice has talent. I just don't imagine taking him over the ~top 5 that are going to emerge more clearly this weekend. Guice could easily end up outproducing those top 5, or a portion of them, as time will tell. Could easily still flop, too.  But at the moment that's where I've got the line. 

Imagine *any* of these WRs go to KC, instant 1.01/1.02 territory. Jacobs to the Raiders probably goes there, too. One of the top RBs to Tampa and you have another top 5 pick. Between AJ Brown, Harry, Metcalf, and Butler, if *two* of them go to bad spots, then yeah I guess I'd take Guice at 1.05. 

At this exact time last year there was talk of Guice being a late 1st in a stacked class. At the moment there is talk of Jacobs going in the late 1st in a class almost devoid of top end talent. So even if Jacobs does actually get taken there, it won't be all that telling. But if he does not, and he rightfully goes a round or so later, then this line of thinking will quickly die off. Personally, I don't expect to see Jacobs get drafted in the 1st. If he does, it would be a Penny-esque surprise to me. I don't really expect to see any of these guys go before pick 40, but it only takes one team to draft need ahead of BPA...

By all accounts (questionably dependable, I'll grant), Guice's stock dropped due to interviews. If true (no one here knows), then should that even matter to us? He seemed to impress his coaches on his current team and hasn't had any personality issues in the past 12 months.

Guice was clearly the better athlete and produced better and on larger volume than Jacobs, so what I don't understand at all is people saying they'd take Jacobs over him before knowing where Jacobs lands. I get drafting based on situation, because a 4-5 year contract is basically 50%+ of a running back's shelf life. But we just saw a 32 year old Peterson put up decent number on a dumpster fire of a Washington team, so I don't think the situation in 2019 will be much worse than that.

More than anything, I'm surprised Jacobs' hype has not only survived a piss poor pro day, but somehow surpassed a talent such as Guice. I don't think measurables or college usage are everything, but they are certainly indicators with some correlation to success.

If Guice had played college last season, I don't think anyone is talking about taking Jacobs over him right now. Rookie fever and Guice being out of the spotlight for a year are the only reasons I can think of that someone would prefer Jacobs. 

Rookie fever and Guice being out of the spotlight for a year are the only reasons I can think of that someone would prefer Jacobs. 
It's going to get worse on Thursday night, too.

I try to stock up on any random 1st round picks prior to the draft just so I can sell them to zealots after draft weekend at a tidy profit.

Is he though?  Guice was pretty universally the 1.02 in all rookie drafts last year.
Yea but that was a big wide divide. I had picks 2 and 3 in a league last year and offered both for 1.1. If I could have picked Guice twice I'd still have offered both for him.

On the flip side I'd need about at least two 1.6 picks PLUS additional considerations in this draft for Guice.

More than anything, I'm surprised Jacobs' hype has not only survived a piss poor pro day, but somehow surpassed a talent such as Guice. I don't think measurables or college usage are everything, but they are certainly indicators with some correlation to success.
yeah I'm surprised to read that. if I'm doing a start up today I am taking guice over Jacobs, acl reconstruction and all 

If I go back to my draft last season and re-do the 1.2... I probably still take him k owing he tore his ACL, but that's a tough one over Chubb. Although I have reservations about Chubb being a full time guy long term. 

There was a gulf of value between 1.01 and 1.02 last year. Not so much between 1.02 and 1.03. 
Prior to the draft, in April's Mizelle ADP, Barkley was #8 overall.  Guice was #26.  Rookies #3 and 4 were #46 and 48, respectively.  I see three distinct tiers, with Guice roughly in the middle.

Prior to the draft, in April's Mizelle ADP, Barkley was #8 overall.  Guice was #26.  Rookies #3 and 4 were #46 and 48, respectively.  I see three distinct tiers, with Guice roughly in the middle.
Ah, yes, that's correct as of April. I was thinking in terms of the rookie drafts I witnessed which were after the NFL draft.

Ah, yes, that's correct as of April. I was thinking in terms of the rookie drafts I witnessed which were after the NFL draft.
Well, all the calculus changes as of Thursday night, until then it's all speculation.  Once we have teams to put next to these rookies' names, lots of rankings will be significantly different.

I intentionally pointed out ADP prior to the draft because that's the same place we are as of today.

Dr. Dan said:
yeah I'm surprised to read that. if I'm doing a start up today I am taking guice over Jacobs, acl reconstruction and all 

If I go back to my draft last season and re-do the 1.2... I probably still take him k owing he tore his ACL, but that's a tough one over Chubb. Although I have reservations about Chubb being a full time guy long term. 
:confused:  Say what now? Personally, I wasn't sure who I'd take at 1.02 last year (purely hypothetical since I didn't draft there), but it was neck-and-neck between Chubb and pre-ACL Guice. So obviously I've got no reservations about Chubb being a full time guy. 

FF Ninja said:

If Guice had played college last season, I don't think anyone is talking about taking Jacobs over him right now. Rookie fever and Guice being out of the spotlight for a year are the only reasons I can think of that someone would prefer Jacobs. 
Jacobs' tape was good and we're operating under the assumption that he's a 1st round pick. He also projects to catch more balls than Guice, which is big in PPR leagues. Jacobs' situation is likely to be better, too. I don't think it's fair to dismiss that as rookie fever.  

FF Ninja said:
At this exact time last year there was talk of Guice being a late 1st in a stacked class. At the moment there is talk of Jacobs going in the late 1st in a class almost devoid of top end talent. So even if Jacobs does actually get taken there, it won't be all that telling. But if he does not, and he rightfully goes a round or so later, then this line of thinking will quickly die off. Personally, I don't expect to see Jacobs get drafted in the 1st. If he does, it would be a Penny-esque surprise to me. I don't really expect to see any of these guys go before pick 40, but it only takes one team to draft need ahead of BPA... By all accounts (questionably dependable, I'll grant), Guice's stock dropped due to interviews. If true (no one here knows), then should that even matter to us? He seemed to impress his coaches on his current team and hasn't had any personality issues in the past 12 months.
You are right that it's not apples to apples to compare Jacobs' pre-draft projected draft capital to Guice's actual draft capital, but that's all the information we have to work with right now.  How people projected the NFL felt about Guice leading up to the draft isn't really relevant to me anymore because we now know how they actually felt about him.  We don't know that yet about Jacobs so the things we've been hearing and the places he's been mocked are all we have to work with.  You are correct that if Jacobs falls to the late 2nd things change a lot and it may end up being presumptive of me to already be calling him a late 1st/early 2nd round pick.

You already mentioned it somewhat in terms of the reasons Guice dropped possibly being dubious but personally I don't really buy Guice's slide being because he played too much Fortnite or whatever the story of the day was.  The strong draft class is also less of an excuse for me because it's not just that he landed in the late 2nd, it's what teams did to avoid him.  The Lions had the fewest picks in the draft but still traded one of them away to move up and grab a relatively mediocre prospect in Kerryon Johnson when they could have just stood pat and gotten Guice.

I do still like Guice, but I think it's fair to treat him as a mid-2nd roundish type prospect and not the mid-1st type guy we all thought he was in March of last year.  If Jacobs slides similarly, it will be fair to call him that as well.

I get drafting based on situation, because a 4-5 year contract is basically 50%+ of a running back's shelf life. But we just saw a 32 year old Peterson put up decent number on a dumpster fire of a Washington team, so I don't think the situation in 2019 will be much worse than that.
I've seen a lot of people say this, but it's worth noting that Peterson's production dropped off pretty precipitously after the Alex Smith injury, and they'll be without Smith again this year.

With Smith (10 games):
171-723, 7 TD, 4.2ypc
14 rec, 168yds
14.51 fantasy ppg

Without Smith (6 games):
80-319, 1 TD, 3.9ypc
5 rec, 40yds
7.8 fantasy ppg

They were 6-4 when Smith got hurt, so not really fair to say Peterson was good on a dumpster fire of a team.  When Smith left and they actually turned into a dumpster fire, Peterson was very poor from a fantasy standpoint.

That's fair, and if Jacobs does indeed get drafted where he's being projected he will be an interesting experiment in the disparity between measurables/production and what scouts are telling us they are seeing on tape.

Still, even more than measurables and college usage are indicators with correlation to success, we all know the #1 indicator is draft capital so if Jacobs is in fact liked enough by teams to go ~30 picks ahead of where Guice went then that is very notable.

Would they?  I'm certain using last year's March evaluation of Guice people would prefer him.  But would the NFL?  It was a strong class but it's not like Kerryon Johnson was some great prospect (it seems like the NFL likes Jacobs a lot more than they liked Kerryon as a prospect) and he went ahead of Guice.

With RBs I value opportunity over talent most of the time. Unless that talent is transcendent, which it rarely is. I'd rather have a less talented RB who starts in a good offense for a couple seasons than a seemingly more talented RB in a bad spot. I don't think the difference in talent is nearly as significant as the difference in opportunity most of the time. 

I am assuming Jacobs goes to a good spot. If that proves untrue then undoubtedly he will slide down my board. Past the point Guice would pass him. But I'm also putting Montgomery and Henderson in the same boat. For my part on talent alone I'd put both of those guys ahead of Jacobs. Is that rookie fever for Jacobs?

Pwingles said:

I feel like they are in the same tier-ish, but if you owned one, would you trade straight up for the other? Would either side have to add a piece?

Have an offer on the table where the other owner wants to send me mixon and dion lewis for Cook and Pettis. I am not interested in that particular deal, because my team is super bad at wr, and also I have no desire to own lewis.

I do however have Cook in a few too many spots and if the situation arose where i could divest but stay in the same tier of player, I think that would be smart, so I am willing to deal cook if the offer were closer to what I need in that spot.

Just wanted to take you guys' temperature on the whole thing since ive mostly been on the buying end of Cook to this point.
I have Mixon a tier ahead of Cook, right now. He's a year younger and comes with less injury risk. I think Cook has better intincts and Mixon is the better athlete - so based on talent, I think they're neck and neck. 

Users who are viewing this thread