What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

quick fraud / security question (1 Viewer)

NajehHejan

Footballguy
I have a Capital One savings account (used to be ING Direct before they bought them) and they locked my account because there was a suspicious successful login (definitely not by me). I answered a bunch of security questions over the phone and they sent me a code via text which I confirmed but to reactivate the account they are saying I still need to email them proof that I have malware protection on my device. I told them I access the account mostly through mobile app and sometimes laptop. They are ok with just mobile app malware proof, they recommended LookOut, which I downloaded (and it said I am ok). This just all seems weird. I don't think I have malware, I think the scumbag hacked them or me some other way. My account is linked to a junk yahoo email account that was once hacked a while back, maybe it's that. I know I probably sound like a dumb #### here but I am really careful about things and don't think it's my fault necessarily, but they are asking for email proof of malware protection. Why is the burden of proof on me? I waited on hold 35 minutes so I asked them if this is a big security problem for them right now and they denied that it was. Any thoughts or feedback appreciated, thanks. 

Sounds like you just gave a scammer answers to security questions that they're going to try to use to hack your actual life.

Call Capital One immediately to a phone number on your card or statement and see what's up.

Sounds like you just gave a scammer answers to security questions that they're going to try to use to hack your actual life.

Call Capital One immediately to a phone number on your card or statement and see what's up.
This.

And they won't require you to have malware protection.  That's sounds fishy.

I called the number from their website, so I should be good. But I'm still kind of scared.

No reason to be scared but that's a strange request.  These kinds of thing happen and I'm not sure why having malware is some kind of prerequisite to having access restored.  If anything, there are many other reasons why you might get hacked that have nothing to do with malware.  I would tell them that you only plan on using your phone and get it reinstated.  If they give you a hard time, just explain you'll be taking your business elsewhere tomorrow that doesn't hassle its customers as much.

I called the number from their website, so I should be good. But I'm still kind of scared.
Did you go to their website on your own or through a link in an email?

I just cannot imagine a scenario where you have to prove to your phone carrier that you have malware protection on your device. People go on the internet from pc's without antivirus protection all the time. This has to be a scam. 

Did you go to their website on your own or through a link in an email?

I just cannot imagine a scenario where you have to prove to your phone carrier that you have malware protection on your device. People go on the internet from pc's without antivirus protection all the time. This has to be a scam. 
I went on the website through my own. I'm seeing online stories of other people who had to do the same thing. It is very odd. Some people have been trying for a month to get their account reactivated. I am freaking out.

Users who are viewing this thread