What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Early rankings - Tremblay (1 Viewer)

Gottabesweet

Footballguy
Solid start, Robert Woods listed at 4-51-0 - likely out.  Sammy Watkins doesn't crack the 127 ranked WR's

Last edited by a moderator:
He looked healthy on Sunday. Has to garner at least flex consideration @ Oakland IMO.
I saw the same thing -- where the f* is Watkins?  One data point does not dismiss the rest of the rankings, but it show laziness.  Woods is not the same.  Looks like just re-hashing old data.

He looked healthy on Sunday. Has to garner at least flex consideration @ Oakland IMO.
Tyrod is limited but at least looks to throw deep to Watkins.  I'm not starting him vs. Oakland however I will start him in the fantasy playoffs if he trends up another week.  Hoping for 75% of the snaps in Oakland and 6+ Targets  4-70 type day.

Brandin Cooks at WR37 in PPR seems really odd. I know last week was a disaster with 0 targets, but he's at home again against the Lions. I think he'll do better than WR37.

Brandin Cooks at WR37 in PPR seems really odd. I know last week was a disaster with 0 targets, but he's at home again against the Lions. I think he'll do better than WR37.
I will never have a problem with a ranking of that kind for someone coming off of 0 targets, but you guys are still hitting the nail on its head and I was glad to see that others noticed.  I love many things about FBG but a lot of content just seems thrown together so that it is there, with no stress on quality.  

Add it to the list of many of them mailing it in the last several years. It's a big reason why I opted to just purchase the DD app and that's it this season.

No regerts so far

The early rankings change a lot over the course of the week.  I don't rely on them much beyond an initial sounding board; but I will say that I found this week's rankings to be particularly daft in at least one of my leagues.

In general, Footballguys seems to be a bit slow on the uptake when it comes to "hot" players like Tyreek Hill, for example.  I can't see how anyone sits Hill for players like Jordan Matthews and Larry Fitzgerald, both of who are currently ranked higher in the aforementioned league, as long as Jeremy Maclin is out.  The upside is too yuge!

That may indicate a particular ranker's risk aversion however.  Myself I seem to fall most inline with Bloom's rankings.  Dodd's are good for helping navigate K and DST, which I'm not particularly savvy.

Iirc he explained in the past that he uses an algorithm for the early rankings as a stake in the ground then makes adjustments. 

I love many things about FBG but a lot of content just seems thrown together so that it is there, with no stress on quality.
Bingo. I've been a huge apologist for Joe & Co and this site, and think that the intent has always been there despite hiccoughs that occur (and likely would occur on any site) but this year has been so noticeable in the lack of customer attention, quality of work, etc. that I'm unfortunately disappointed in output, and more so with lack of focusing on the customer and their output. 

Among the things that have irked me:

1) Content being very late -- despite never promising a specific timetable for releases like Top 200, etc., we've come to expect that these pieces be in place well before most waiver periods. Instead of working to provide content earlier, just seems to be slipping later and later

2) Useless features that are worked on in lieu of focusing on the above. Love you, Joe, but if I'm being honest, the Random Shots isn't useful enough or funny enough to be worthwhile. Would rather you leave that stuff to Simmons and other journalists, and refocus your efforts on ensuring site and content quality control and timely releases. 

3) Poor quality -- whether it's cobbled together rankings that don't account for the present situation in a timely manner (Tremblay and the misses on Watkins and Cooks are great examples) or even small things like adding a degree of professionalism to what is published (looking squarely at you, Waldman -- your Top 10 insights and analysis are great but are totally ruined by the fact that all supporting video is poorly filmed from a TV and shaking worse than the Blair Witch Project -- a $10 investment in a tripod is the least you could do to ensure a level of quality and professionalism). I appreciate automation (which FBG used to a solid degree in the Rate My Team feature), but reading the same clips each and every week (e.g.: "With about [FILL IN TIME] of the season now behind us, we should be getting closer to some collective understanding as to which teams are good and which are bad.  Of course, the point spread is the great equalizer, and Las Vegas does their job quite well...") that are adapted only slightly each week just feel like the content is being phoned in rather than having a focus on good writing and bringing up more salient, timely detail/discussion than relying on blurbs. 

Can't say whether there has been more of a focus on better quality on DFS (don't play it) content that has detracted, or whether as FBG expands they are simply taking the eye off the ball and cracks are showing more. 

Either way, never thought I'd not subscribe, but am leaning that direction this coming year, which is sad. Not only did I think the content was worthwhile in the past but enjoyed supporting FBG as a venture. However, with so much competition and great content elsewhere, there is less an incentive to pay for content that is declining in terms of quality and timeliness.

The early rankings change a lot over the course of the week.  I don't rely on them much beyond an initial sounding board; but I will say that I found this week's rankings to be particularly daft in at least one of my leagues.

In general, Footballguys seems to be a bit slow on the uptake when it comes to "hot" players like Tyreek Hill, for example.  I can't see how anyone sits Hill for players like Jordan Matthews and Larry Fitzgerald, both of who are currently ranked higher in the aforementioned league, as long as Jeremy Maclin is out.  The upside is too yuge!

That may indicate a particular ranker's risk aversion however.  Myself I seem to fall most inline with Bloom's rankings.  Dodd's are good for helping navigate K and DST, which I'm not particularly savvy.
I agree, I read it more for leisure.  I actually don't even like Dodd's rankings, I think he uses Norton's/Henry's? game scripts and pieces those together.  I like Bloom.  I really miss Mike Herman with the kickers.

Bloom tends to use game scripts mixed with his opinions a lot more and if you have a roster with many decisions at flex, (Watkins, Booker, Cobb, Sanders, Ingram)  he's my go too,  I wish more staff members were required to submit rankings though and take averages.

Add it to the list of many of them mailing it in the last several years. It's a big reason why I opted to just purchase the DD app and that's it this season.

No regerts so far
I canceled my 3 year subscription too. Still waiting for the check. Not enough activity in the dynasty rankings and trade value charts. I was basically paying for a couple articles a week. 

I canceled my 3 year subscription too. Still eaoting for the check. Not enough activity in the dynasty rankings and trade value charts. I was basically paying for a couple articles a week. 
You can play daily basketball on footballguys though....

Another odd ranking is TY Hilton at WR30. I know he got dinged up on Thanksgiving, but he has a great matchup with the Jets secondary. And I would say, okay Hilton injury so then Moncrief would be higher, but he's only WR22. And before you say, well Hilton is banged up, well so is Diggs and he's WR6. Same with Jordan Matthews, coming out of last night with an ankle injury and he's WR10.

Guys do a little search on Maurile and see what he's got going on.  You just might cut him a break for the minor oversight.   

I canceled my 3 year subscription too. Still waiting for the check. Not enough activity in the dynasty rankings and trade value charts. I was basically paying for a couple articles a week. 
I realized I was paying for Draft Dominator and really nothing else. The weekly waiver wire stuff from Bloom is a joke. I don't know how I didn't see it sooner. I guess I used it more to see what players he recommends you blow your FAAB on now so that I knew who to look at for the next 2-3 weeks. Wasn't worth it. The rankings didn't even mean anything to me anymore. There is no rhyme or reason to it. I noticed a lot of injured, slumping or on guys on fire would be ranked inappropriately. I realized my rankings are probably more thought out and better than theres. This forum is more informative and timely than anything I ever got from FGB; always 12-18 hours late and kind of a joke in regard to content. They recycle the same sayings for each scenario, I swear

Yeah they're just getting out of the dynasty business. The money must be in daily fantasy. If it is I don't blame them. 
I don't blame them either but the problem is when DFS collapses they are going to come back crawling and it may be too late.

Guys do a little search on Maurile and see what he's got going on.  You just might cut him a break for the minor oversight.   
See, this is always the excuse. First it's "Thanksgiving falls on a Thursday this year so we have family on Thanksgiving." yeah, I agree, family should be higher priority than your job... but then don't take a job that takes you away from family!!! You know what you're getting into. A couple of years ago I had the opportunity to work with a therapist who works with a professional team in the area. He is older and I would basically have been groomed to take his spot at some point. It involved traveling. Would it be okay for me to say, "Sorry team, but Thanksgiving I have family obligations so I cannot perform my job duties." No. You know what you're getting into. Largely due to the time away from family, I declined the job. There's another oportunity coming up with another professional team in 2017 summer with my current job, and my name is coming up. I will likely decline that as well. 

If your Sundays and Thanksgiving/Christmas are very family-centered, then don't take a job that requires you to put in significant time on Sundays/holidays. 

People with personal stuff going on, again, I get it, but maybe taking on less, a year off, or whatever is a better idea than just going through the motions. People work through a variety of personal and family scenarios every day. Being a contributor to an online fantasy football website is probably the least difficult amongst everything out there. 

See, this is always the excuse. First it's "Thanksgiving falls on a Thursday this year so we have family on Thanksgiving." yeah, I agree, family should be higher priority than your job... but then don't take a job that takes you away from family!!! You know what you're getting into. A couple of years ago I had the opportunity to work with a therapist who works with a professional team in the area. He is older and I would basically have been groomed to take his spot at some point. It involved traveling. Would it be okay for me to say, "Sorry team, but Thanksgiving I have family obligations so I cannot perform my job duties." No. You know what you're getting into. Largely due to the time away from family, I declined the job. There's another oportunity coming up with another professional team in 2017 summer with my current job, and my name is coming up. I will likely decline that as well. 

If your Sundays and Thanksgiving/Christmas are very family-centered, then don't take a job that requires you to put in significant time on Sundays/holidays. 

People with personal stuff going on, again, I get it, but maybe taking on less, a year off, or whatever is a better idea than just going through the motions. People work through a variety of personal and family scenarios every day. Being a contributor to an online fantasy football website is probably the least difficult amongst everything out there. 
Maurlie is battling cancer

Used to be a lot more staff giving content weekly.  Now they are all doing roundtables for Daily and milking that cash cow.   You find more start/sit info by going to the free CBS/Yahoo pages.  I do like the podcasts but those are free.

Again, maybe working isn't the best thing if you're going through health issues. A coworker of mine is going through this as well, for the second time in a year, and last time she worked through it. It came back and the doctor is telling her to not work now because work causes stress which is not helping her cancer and chemo/radiation

I will be very empathetic to anyone with cancer or any kind of health issues, but maybe it's not the best thing to provide a paid service if you can't really perform up to your best. I wish him all the best in recovery and everything. People would understand if they had one less person contributing to the weekly content and helping out in the forums... or maybe he can just do the forums. 

If the guy doing my roof has cancer, or even a broken leg, don't you think it'd be in my best interests to either find a new roofer or the company to send a replacement and let him heal up? 

Used to be a lot more staff giving content weekly.  Now they are all doing roundtables for Daily and milking that cash cow.   You find more start/sit info by going to the free CBS/Yahoo pages.  I do like the podcasts but those are free.
I've found a lot of sit/start advice for free. The Yahoo guys are goof balls but that has more thought behind it than some of the greater minds that are more into the daily stuff.

I get it, it pays the bills. Sucks to be one of those old fashioned season long fantasy guys in a scenario like this though. I'll vote with my wallet

Again, maybe working isn't the best thing if you're going through health issues. A coworker of mine is going through this as well, for the second time in a year, and last time she worked through it. It came back and the doctor is telling her to not work now because work causes stress which is not helping her cancer and chemo/radiation

I will be very empathetic to anyone with cancer or any kind of health issues, but maybe it's not the best thing to provide a paid service if you can't really perform up to your best. I wish him all the best in recovery and everything. People would understand if they had one less person contributing to the weekly content and helping out in the forums... or maybe he can just do the forums. 

If the guy doing my roof has cancer, or even a broken leg, don't you think it'd be in my best interests to either find a new roofer or the company to send a replacement and let him heal up? 
I agree 100% - Focus on that, maybe this provides a relief to him to write/compile rankings, however FBG's needs to add more staffers helping the year-long-leagues and giving weekly start/sit advice and insight into these rankings.  It's just lists, very little content.

I agree 100% - Focus on that, maybe this provides a relief to him to write/compile rankings, however FBG's needs to add more staffers helping the year-long-leagues and giving weekly start/sit advice and insight into these rankings.  It's just lists, very little content.
I honestly think you'd find many in these forums willing to provide this for free, or even a free membership or Draft Dominator download. I'm a cheap date, give me draft dominator and I'd give a trial year to see how it goes. If it works out, let's talk about better compensation and contribution. 

At least Bloom provides a bit of background/or a snippet as to why he ranks someone the way he does.  All the other ranking seem to always be a rehash of the previous week's rankings.

Big big fan of FBG and have been here for a long time. Can't believe I'm saying it, but I agree with all of you guys. Things have been trending downward this year and I am questioning my future subscriptions as well. FBGs used to give us a big advantage in our leagues as the information was timely and insightful. Not so anymore. Sad.

The best thing might be the subscriber contest and the way they talked about it this year, we were lucky that they kept it.

I really like their stuff leading up to fantasy draft time. Once the season starts, there's so many other places that offer rankings and waiver pickups of the week that I find myself looking elsewhere. And the SP is a great source of info. I don't know how many players I've been alerted too in here that ended up paying dividends for me.

MattFancy said:

Dr. Brew said:

Yeah that's real empathic of you.  

People on here act like they sacrificed their mortgage for this subscription.   It's 30$ for a year (which you didn't even pay), relax.  So he missed Sammy on his rankings this week.   Let's take the dude out back and shoot him for the audacity of his transgression.  I mean we spent $30 for Christ sake, and these early ranking are vital to my fake teams success, his cancer be damned.   

The famous ctrl+c, ctrl+v algorithm?
No, i think it's something like expected total production minus ytd production divided by number of remaining games adjusted by matchup. Thats easy to get out in short order and a good start for people who need quick info.  But injuries, changed in role, etc come later in the week - i think he said first change was just accounting for whos out, then all the matchup stuff and real adjustments.

It takes time to actually look over all this stuff, yet people are already complaining about stuff early on tuesday.  You can't have both - you can have well thought out or fast.  But it probably should be better communicated just to set expectations.

People on here act like they sacrificed their mortgage for this subscription.   It's 30$ for a year (which you didn't even pay), relax.  So he missed Sammy on his rankings this week.   Let's take the dude out back and shoot him for the audacity of his transgression.  I mean we spent $30 for Christ sake, and these early ranking are vital to my fake teams success, his cancer be damned.   
My thoughts are maybe it's best that he just take a leave of absence instead of putting out an inferior player ranking.  Everyone would understand why he wasn't able to give his rankings if he's sick.  I did not know he was sick so I understand why things look off.

My thoughts are maybe it's best that he just take a leave of absence instead of putting out an inferior player ranking.  Everyone would understand why he wasn't able to give his rankings if he's sick.  I did not know he was sick so I understand why things look off.
Sickness aside it's been bad for awhile from most staff. The rankings rarely change even as the week progresses.  For most of the guys.  Why cant a panel of 5-10 staffers all give weekly rankings and then WE can decide who we like to follow etc.  If I recall years ago it was that way (maybe I'm thinking preseason) but still.  It's just been a frustrating season with lack of Good content.

Like someone said, the Random Shots article and the article about someone betting if they'll be a field goal of 48.5 yards or higher does very little to help most of us.

Understood and fair enough.   I don't know his current condition and it's not my place to speak on it if I did.  I'm merely pointing out that these are human beings we're talking about and dealing with and sometimes outside factors affect what we do at work.  It happens to us all.  If his current situation is affecting his work (and that's a huge if as we don't know if it is) it's only been a very minor impact and not something that calls for him to stop doing it.   

Here's my thinking. I pay $30 a year, I love the subscriber contest, and I use the rankings loosely for my drafts and my weekly lineups. Ultimately, though, I pay my entry fee in my leagues so I make the decisions on who to draft and who to play. I like the FAAB waiver wire suggested bid amounts, but again, they're my teams and I decide how badly I want a player or not.

So to me, it's worth $30. I have subscribed to competitor's sites, and I hate their material and their site layout. I am satisfied with what I am getting here.

You've completely missed what I was saying. Not worth debating at this point. I feel for him, and sometimes the best advice is not the advice you want to hear. As Gottabesweet has mentioned, maybe this is his release, and in that case fine go nuts, but scaling back is probably better regardless. 

Furthermore, it's not just him. It's all the staff. There used to be a number of guys who would do their rankings and I would really focus on 2-3 of them. Those 2-3 are mailing it in and the remaining are just regular guys who mean nothing to me more than dkp993's opinion does

Best of luck to you this week. 

Sickness aside it's been bad for awhile from most staff. The rankings rarely change even as the week progresses.  For most of the guys.  Why cant a panel of 5-10 staffers all give weekly rankings and then WE can decide who we like to follow etc.  If I recall years ago it was that way (maybe I'm thinking preseason) but still.  It's just been a frustrating season with lack of Good content.

Like someone said, the Random Shots article and the article about someone betting if they'll be a field goal of 48.5 yards or higher does very little to help most of us.
I feel like more work is spent in the Random Shots article getting all those gifs and memes than rankings.

Honestly... I think most staff use an excel spreadsheet, probably shared amongst staff and tweek as you wish sort of deal, and it plugs out projections/rankings. A lot of the time it seems based off preseason defensive rankings rather than evolving rankings as the weeks go on. A lot of the rankings are pretty bad, I agree

Tyreek Hill ranked 16th but Taylor Gabriel ranked 49?

Gabriel has been more consistent and playing against the team that gives up the most points to wide receivers. 

Here's my thinking. I pay $30 a year, I love the subscriber contest, and I use the rankings loosely for my drafts and my weekly lineups. Ultimately, though, I pay my entry fee in my leagues so I make the decisions on who to draft and who to play. I like the FAAB waiver wire suggested bid amounts, but again, they're my teams and I decide how badly I want a player or not.

So to me, it's worth $30. I have subscribed to competitor's sites, and I hate their material and their site layout. I am satisfied with what I am getting here.
Yeah, I went through that reflection too and realized I did not use the information enough to justify. I figured I'd give it a year and see how I finished. I never felt like FBG material mattered enough to make a difference in wins/losses for me. Draft Dominator sure, that is by far what made this website what it is IMO. So I spent the $5 on the app. 

Everyone has to make that judgement for themselves. If FBG is worth $30 and you feel like you get that value from it, awesome that's great. I wasn't using the paid material enough or finding it useful enough to justify it. I certainly don't feel like throwing $30 out the window

You've completely missed what I was saying. Not worth debating at this point. I feel for him, and sometimes the best advice is not the advice you want to hear. As Gottabesweet has mentioned, maybe this is his release, and in that case fine go nuts, but scaling back is probably better regardless. 

Furthermore, it's not just him. It's all the staff. There used to be a number of guys who would do their rankings and I would really focus on 2-3 of them. Those 2-3 are mailing it in and the remaining are just regular guys who mean nothing to me more than dkp993's opinion does

Best of luck to you this week. 
I have no intent of starting an argument or debate just merely pointing out how quick everyone is to pull out the pitch forks without any real understanding of the situation.

You're unhappy with where the site has been going over the past few years.  That's certainly your right.  And you voiced that opinion with your wallet, also certainly your right.  

Now excuse me as I go cry in the corner that my opinion means nothing to an internet stranger.  

Best of luck to you this week as well.  

I have no intent of starting an argument or debate just merely pointing out how quick everyone is to pull out the pitch forks without any real understanding of the situation.

You're unhappy with where the site has been going over the past few years.  That's certainly your right.  And you voiced that opinion with your wallet, also certainly your right.  

Now excuse me as I go cry in the corner that my opinion means nothing to an internet stranger.  

Best of luck to you this week as well.  
Wasn't being rude... just needed a name and yours was the first. If anything you should be honored that I value your opinion as much as someone on the paid site :)
My point was, the no-namers really didn't mean much to me because 1- they weren't originals so I really don't know their qualifications, especially if they don't do specific articles that I find interesting. 2- people in these forums have better advice and rankings than these so-called experts. I feel like you could gather the forum "regulars" who are not so obnoxious or overly-crazy about their teams (some here seem like incredibly unhappy people and their team affects them in an unhealthy way it seems) and you could come up with just as useful if not more useful rankings. 

Users who are viewing this thread