What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Joe McKnight Murdered (1 Viewer)

WheelsUp

Footballguy
http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2016/12/terrytown_murder_jpso.html

A shooting in Terrytown Thursday afternoon (Dec. 1) left a man dead after an argument at an intersection, according to the Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office.

Family members at the scene identified the victim as Joe McKnight, former NFL player and local high school football standout. McKnight, who went to John Curtis Christian School in River Ridge, played for the New York Jets and the Kansas City Chiefs.

The shooting, reported about 3 p.m., occurred at the intersection of Behrman Highway and Holmes Boulevard.

A witness, who declined to give her name, said she was leaving a store in the area when she saw a man at the intersection yelling at another man, who was trying to apologize. The man who was yelling shot the other man more than once, she said.

She said the shooter shot the man, stood over him and said "I told you don't you f--- with me." Then he fired again, she said.

The victim's body was on Behrman Highway, surrounded by a shield.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really sad ending to his story, RIP.

I remember McKnight when he came up through the Jets -- believe they even traded up to get him for his versatility as both a RB and ST/PR/KR. He ended up playing CB at times, too, IIRC. 

Not a huge impact player overall but the guy did flash in his career on some returns and on ST play. Had most recently been playing in the CFL. 

Wish this kind of violence went the way of the dodo. 

He played for the Saskatchewan Roughriders this season.

SMH!

This #### is why I carry
Not looking to start a 2nd Amendment debate, but in this kind of situation, if you got into trouble at a crossroads with a dude who pulled out a gun on you, would carrying your own gun really change the situation? Would think you would get shot as soon as you tried to pull it out just the same.

Not looking to start a 2nd Amendment debate, but in this kind of situation, if you got into trouble at a crossroads with a dude who pulled out a gun on you, would carrying your own gun really change the situation? Would think you would get shot as soon as you tried to pull it out just the same.
Also not looking to debate this, but can't base an argument on an isolated incident.  In this case you might not have had time to protect yourself.  In other cases you would have  

With so many factors involved in making the decision to fire, it would take a lot for me to use a gun I was carrying.  But I'd rather have the option then be defenseless against a world full of scumbags illegally carrying. 

I believe the shooter stayed on scene until the police arrived and gave a report of what occurred. 
Thanks.

i can't imagine any scenario in my day to day life where words would have to turn to bullets. 

Crazy. Life should have more value than a traffic incident. 

SMH!

This #### is why I carry
In New Orleans area you are stuck between a rock and a hard place when it comes to carrying - doubly so if you are a black man. It sounds like this guy was carrying and was quick on the trigger - and sadly McKnight was unarmed and apparently apologizing . Gun ownership and carrying should come with great responsibility - and if you blow that responsibility you need to held accountable for that to a maximum that a law can allow. And this wasn't some New Orleans gang banging crap - one guy driving an Audi SUV the other an Infiniti - the area is just extremely ill right now.

I believe the shooter stayed on scene until the police arrived and gave a report of what occurred. 
Yup. I've been a p***ed driver before, but the people who actually do this level of stuff, if you read more stories, this kind of thing is actually common. They'll kill the person, and that cools them back off to normal...common sense and reality sink back in, and usually just give themselves up. These people are head cases. Shame. RIP Joe.

Seems like in a city like New Orleans people often shoot first and worry about the consequences later - maybe because they fear the other person will do the same.  Very sad story.

This is not going to end well. Canceling my vacation to New Orleans. 
If its this weekend, you are probably good.  A lot of distractions this weekend.  The do..do won't hit the fan until later if there isn't an arrest.

This is not going to end well. Canceling my vacation to New Orleans. 
Not sure I'd do it over this - the shooting on Bourbon was more of a problem. New Orleans is a great great city of wonderful people food music and culture that you will never find anywhere else - don't let this stop you from taking that in.

This is in JP - the big problem is the shooter could walk or could of if the person he killed wasn't Joe McKnight. If he walks then it might be a good time to postpone - but only until it cools off a bit

If its this weekend, you are probably good.  A lot of distractions this weekend.  The do..do won't hit the fan until later if there isn't an arrest.
If there isn't an arrest?  Gonna go out on a limb and say there's a zero percent chance of that happening.

FWIW, after my son got into a road rage incident which is far too common from what I understand. A cop told me the overwhelming majority of incidents are where a white person is the accused aggressor. No proof, just what I was told by a cop in NYC. That can mean many things, a lot go unreported maybe white people are more inclined to suffer from the road rage, maybe cop is lying. Who knows, but thought that was an interesting remark from him. The cop and myself are white for full disclosure.

In New Orleans area you are stuck between a rock and a hard place when it comes to carrying - doubly so if you are a black man. It sounds like this guy was carrying and was quick on the trigger - and sadly McKnight was unarmed and apparently apologizing . Gun ownership and carrying should come with great responsibility - and if you blow that responsibility you need to held accountable for that to a maximum that a law can allow. And this wasn't some New Orleans gang banging crap - one guy driving an Audi SUV the other an Infiniti - the area is just extremely ill right now.
It's on the list of place I'd never visit.  

I'm one of those people that can blow up and have a tough time keeping a level head but come on people, murdering someone over a road rage incident?  What a sad state of affairs. Just sad news.

Wow, 'Merica!

How can someone stand over someone say "dont F with me," pull a trigger, and walk out of jail?

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2016/12/ronald_gasser_suspect_in_joe_m.html

I'm one of those people that can blow up and have a tough time keeping a level head but come on people, murdering someone over a road rage incident?  What a sad state of affairs. Just sad news.
It’s good that you know that about yourself.

I’m in the same boat and while I own a gun it’s the reason that I keep it locked up and never carry it out in public. I’m afraid that my temper might get the best of me. (not so much now as when I was in my 20’s) It’s way too easy to pull the trigger when/if you lose your temper.

Just heard on the radio that the shooter has been released without being charged (listening to Pro Football Talk over the internet)

Been in New Orleans since Monday, anyone not visiting here because of incidents like this is being foolish and reactionary.

Been in New Orleans since Monday, anyone not visiting here because of incidents like this is being foolish and reactionary.
Absolutely. Road rage shootings are not part of the local culture or something like that. These are as much of freakish one-offs here as they are anywhere else.

On top of that ... mass protests in the streets won't happen here for a case like this one. Smaller protests localized around the sheriff's office or something like that, maybe but even that much is no guarantee.

There are conceivable reasons someone could be released without charges. The relevant information to make that call one way or another has not been released to the public, so no one has an informed opinion yet.

Gasser has not been absolved, the investigation is ongoing. He was released because of that and they, for some reason I cannot understand, don't view him as a public threat or flight risk.

Who isn't visiting because of this?

Unfortunately this stuff happens all the time, all over the place.  If McKnight weren't a football player we wouldn't have even heard about this particular incident.

Gasser has not been absolved, the investigation is ongoing. He was released because of that and they, for some reason I cannot understand, don't view him as a public threat or flight risk.
There are squad cars in front of his home right now. Speculation: maybe he was given the option to either be kept in protective custody in lock-up, or be kept in protective custody in his home (with units out front guaranteeing his presence) until charges came down.

I sure hope that pretty much all public information that has come out so far is incorrect, eyewitnesses or not. The JPSO's actions are pretty indefensible otherwise. They're having a press conference at 1 p.m. CST to hopefully make clear what is going on.

Just sick to my stomach. Don't care what the details are that lead to the outcome but the whole thing is just sickening. Do whatever you must to avoid, I know sometimes you want to choke people by the throats but it's not worth it. And I'm a person who hasn't aldways been calm and cool under these situations but luckily nothing happened to me. Doesn't mean I should continue to contribute to the problem. Avoid Avoid Avoid

After almost getting in a fight with a guy wielding a tire iron who chased me down after I flipped him the bird for cutting me off, I have learned to embrace zen while dealing with the idiocy of other drivers.  It just isn't worth it....

Looks like the sheriff thinks the shooting may have justification and that is why he was released. Coroner says 3 shots and none would be consistent with being shot from above with victim on the ground. So newspaper reports of a witness were not correct - or they didn't get the witness statement correct. Still looking at evidence and that it started on the bridge and continued into Terrytown. McKnight may have been approaching car.

Users who are viewing this thread