What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

40 feared dead in Oakland after party ends in fire. (1 Viewer)

Lots of warehouses used for parties and housing scenes, especially in that area. Mildly surprised this hasn't happened sooner. Thoughts and wishes to the families and loved ones of those affected. 

Even though yesterday I posted my support of low rent/squatting in unused urban space, this is the sort of stuff that can happen when buildings and entrances, etc., aren't kept up to regulatory code.

RIP to those that lost their lives, though.

Even though yesterday I posted my support of low rent/squatting in unused urban space, this is the sort of stuff that can happen when buildings and entrances, etc., aren't kept up to regulatory code.

RIP to those that lost their lives, though.
It's going to be interesting to see how the city cracks down in such residences moving forward. 

Terrible tragedy. Local news channels are doing almost CNN like coverage. Toll is 24 now with only 20% of the warehouse searched. It took overnight to find 14 bodies so it will be a few days before the search is done. There's that much #### in there. The #### owner is nowhere to be found of course. They should put him on America's Most Wanted. Here's what he posted on fb after the fire:

Derick Ion

Yesterday at 1:33am ·

"Confirmed. Everything I worked so hard for is gone. Blessed that my children and Micah were at a hotel safe and sound... it's as if I have awoken from a dream filled with opulence and hope.... to be standing now in poverty of self worth."

What a piece of ####! No mention of the victims and their families! He was in violation of code, inside and out with junk all around the building. You need to have a permit before you can have such a party there and he didn't get it because he knew it wouldn't pass!

https://www.everipedia.com/derick-ion-almena/

Feel free to check out his fb page, and post. I did.

This is a vid of this guy high as a kite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73_YszF0V7U

Not to intentionally quote Trump, but SAD!  :(

"Confirmed. Everything I worked so hard for is gone. Blessed that my children and Micah were at a hotel safe and sound... it's as if I have awoken from a dream filled with opulence and hope.... to be standing now in poverty of self worth."

What a piece of ####! No mention of the victims and their families! He was in violation of code, inside and out with junk all around the building. You need to have a permit before you can have such a party there and he didn't get it because he knew it wouldn't pass!
"My dream of opulence and hope has turned to poverty"

Uh, no. Your dream is about to turn to jail time.

Terrible tragedy. Local news channels are doing almost CNN like coverage. Toll is 24 now with only 20% of the warehouse searched. It took overnight to find 14 bodies so it will be a few days before the search is done. There's that much #### in there. The #### owner is nowhere to be found of course. They should put him on America's Most Wanted. Here's what he posted on fb after the fire:

Derick Ion

Yesterday at 1:33am ·

https://www.everipedia.com/derick-ion-almena/

Feel free to check out his fb page, and post. I did.

This is a vid of this guy high as a kite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73_YszF0V7U

Not to intentionally quote Trump, but SAD!  :(
What a dooshbag.  Jail time. 

There's a small bit of justice when dooshy holier-than-thou artsy types who are above "society and all its stupid laws and rules" end up in a situation like this one. Tragic for people to have to die to make the point. But there you have it. 

ETA: to be clear, I'm talking about the owner here. He's awful. 

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a small bit of justice when dooshy holier-than-thou artsy types who are above "society and all its stupid laws and rules" end up in a situation like this one. Tragic for people to have to die to make the point. But there you have it. 
too soon

Well ...Otis HAS gotten older.  

Feel that pant waist creeping up a little higher every year? 

### DAMN HIPPIES!

Last edited by a moderator:
Jesus ####### christ dude. 

Drunk? This is probably 2 miles or so from my work, I have a friend that has spent many hours in that place doing editing work with one of the residents. Luckily the resident only suffered burns and the loss of all his stuff but please continue to let us know how justice has been done

I'm gonna assume they didn't have sprinklers 
Nope. And no real exits. They interviewed one dude who had been in there before and he said you need a flashlight to see where you are going. It's stuffed in there. No way could he figure out how to get out on his own, it was like a maze.

I'm gonna assume they didn't have sprinklers 

Based on the description of the interior (dark, incredibly crowded, impossible to find your way out) it likely wouldn't have mattered.  Most sprinkler systems aren't designed to put out a fire. They're meant to contain it until the fire department comes. And even then, they can be rendered basically useless if the goods in the warehouse are especially flammable or stacked in such a way that hinders water flow.

But when the building is stocked to brim with crap, there are very few sprinkler systems that can even put a dent in it.  There are super powerful heavy duty systems that can put out most fires, but you likely won't find one in some crappy warehouse in Oakland.

Jesus ####### christ dude. 
:confused:  

Did you think I was celebrating people tragically dying?  Or just responding to the awful facebook post from the moron who caused that?  Take your best guess. It's not hard. 

Drunk? This is probably 2 miles or so from my work, I have a friend that has spent many hours in that place doing editing work with one of the residents. Luckily the resident only suffered burns and the loss of all his stuff but please continue to let us know how justice has been done
I'm glad your friend's friend made it out with only burns; sorry to hear he lost all his stuff.  No, I don't think that part is justice--sorry if that was confusing.  

:confused:  

Did you think I was celebrating people tragically dying?  Or just responding to the awful facebook post from the moron who caused that?  Take your best guess. It's not hard. 
i didn't think the comment was too soon or out of line.

It's unconfirmed that that burning "####" was what started the fire or was even there that night... Per that link.

Don't think I was either. Sorry if you're operating a weekly rave in a condemned building and you don't like my outlook. 
And defensive.

Very easy to read what you wrote the wrong way. But sure, that's everybody else's fault for reading it that way.

And defensive.

Very easy to read what you wrote the wrong way. But sure, that's everybody else's fault for reading it that way.
Yup, I understand that.  I edited it to try and clarify.  I guess I had hoped that the benefit of a decade on this board and probably knowing I'm not a monster might suggest an alternate reading.  Not that I was celebrating people dying.  But I hear you.  

Yup, I understand that.  I edited it to try and clarify.  I guess I had hoped that the benefit of a decade on this board and probably knowing I'm not a monster might suggest an alternate reading.  Not that I was celebrating people dying.  But I hear you.  
With those hands?  Confirmed monster.

Pre-edit it came off as kind of blasé about the dead people. However knowing you don't generally cheer on innocent deaths I gave it a charitable interpretation. 

:lmao:  At the back pedaling. Wasn't Cstu here for a decade too?
How's that backpedaling?  I'm willing to concede it was a little vague, but give me a break. You think I mean it's justice that lots of folks died? 

PS... in case this really is that hard for you, consider "context," and check the post immediately before that one.

I hope the building owner goes to jail for a very, very long time.
I'm also wondering about the city building inspectors as it sounds like they have inspected the place.  I get that there are different codes for residential than say artist work lofts but I would think based on what I'm reading the place should have been deemed unsafe regardless of usage.

And defensive.

I don't think you're a monster, but I think you can be a dbag often. I assumed you were talking about Derick, but you should have referred to Derick by name, and not said  "dooshy holier-than-thou artsy types who are above "society and all its stupid laws and rules" comment. You make generalizations all the time, and follow them up with very condescending and patronizing remarks. 

I'm also wondering about the city building inspectors as it sounds like they have inspected the place.  I get that there are different codes for residential than say artist work lofts but I would think based on what I'm reading the place should have been deemed unsafe regardless of usage.
I think that they had received a complaint, but I'm not sure that they had inspected it. If they did and they didn't shut the place down after seeing stairs made out of pallets, lack of egress, no sprinkler system, no exit signs, etc then the the inspectors are going to jail too.

I think that they had received a complaint, but I'm not sure that they had inspected it. If they did and they didn't shut the place down after seeing stairs made out of pallets, lack of egress, no sprinkler system, no exit signs, etc then the the inspectors are going to jail too.
This will be where the finger pointing gets heavy.  Some building inspectors are a pain in the neck.  But, that is how the inspectors must operate in order to prevent POS owners from getting rich at the mercy of others.  These inspectors did not do their jobs as well as they should have. 

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Tenants-describe-conditions-inside-site-of-deadly-10691108.php#photo-11930637

exert:

Other people familiar with the warehouse posted photos on social media of exposed wires dangling from the ceiling and candles strewn throughout the odd menagerie of objects and furniture.

Almena “built partitions out of pallets standing on edge that he nailed shingles into,” said Matt Hummel, a longtime member of Oakland’s gallery scene who now heads the city’s Cannabis Regulatory Commission. “So when you looked at it you saw this beautiful shingled thing, but it’s literally kindling. And the whole place was built out like that.”

Nikki Keiber and Carmen Brito, who lived at the warehouse, said they were both in the building at the time of the fire, but were not attending the party. Keiber had been cleaning her space and reorganizing her tools when she stopped to send a text at 11:18 p.m. Friday. A minute later, she said, someone yelled, “Fire!”

She grabbed the fire extinguisher out of her RV kitchen, opened her gate and looked down the hall.

“I saw 20-foot flames,” Keiber said. Trying to fight the blaze with her extinguisher, she said, was “like using a squirt gun to put out a fire.”

Brito said she had planned to go to the party but fell asleep. “I woke up around 11 and my room was filled with smoke, like a fog of smoke,” she said. “People were running and grabbing fire extinguishers and trying to put the flames out.”

Despite the building’s shortcomings, Brito said, she liked living there. And in the Bay Area housing market, she said, she doesn’t have too many choices.

“It’s hard — people don’t realize how hard it is to try and find somewhere else to live,” Brito said. “If you make $100 a day, you’re competing with tech workers who are making $100 an hour.

“How do you compete for housing?” she added. “I’ve watched people get pushed further and further out. I got forced out of San Francisco years ago. No one wants to talk about these larger issues, of the thousands of people living in tents.”

Users who are viewing this thread