What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who is benching Julio (1 Viewer)

On a somewhat related note if he has no or limited Julio combined with no Sanu is anyone still starting Matt Ryan?

I got this one league with horrible rule of stopping waivers after week 13 and it's not only a Julio team(and Gronk who got put on IR a day after waivers ran) but my only two QB's are Ryan without his weapons or Mariotta against Denver. I consider Denver basically unplayable for QB's and WR's and right now I see me going with Mariotta, that's how unattractive I see this going for Ryan.

And does this help or hurt Freeman/Coleman/Gabriel? Julio got a big piece of the pie but he sure makes life easier on all of them.
It hurts Ryan but he has been successful spreading the ball all year. He has Gabriel and two really good receiving backs. No Julio does hurt but I think he should still get 250+ with two scores. I have both going for playoffs. This just sucks. 

I was at last week's game and he didn't look right. Also, he was not in the game at several keys situations. He did put up decent numbers. I'll add that I'm benching him this week, but I have luxury of a bye. Good luck all. 

If he is playing you gotta go with him unless you have another WR1 option to put in the lineup instead.  If that's the case you must be stacked at wr.  

But he's likely a high 1st RD pick for you and it's the playoffs.  If you bench him and he has a big game and you lose as a result of benching him you will never forgive yourself.  Go with the guys that got you here.  
You can't go with the guys that got you here. If one is very iffy to play,and if he does is more of a decoy. I wouldn't risk starting him if I had a solid #2 I could start,or even a guy like  Snead or Gabriel etc..I want guaranteed points,if I'm in the play-offs,and not risk getting little or no points. Who cares if Julio got you here,it's all about what can he do for you NOW....

Yes.

I am waiting until game time and if he is active I will sit him for MMitchell and if he is inactive I roll with TGabriel.

Either way he sits.

Honestly, for all of his freakish skills, he was not worth the #2 pick I used on him. Bad feet is a problem that doesn't ever go away.

three DNP's this week combined with admitted turf toe injury.... avoid.  i'm not expecting much in week 15 either.  disappointing but that's the hobby

I'm leaning towards benching him for B. Marshall or T. Gabriel. I'm already kind of behind because of Ware and my LB Johnson getting hurt. I'm sure I'll go back and forth trying to decide. I'm leaning Gabriel because Petty really worries me but it's the 49rs?

Rolling with Malcolm Mitchell. This sucks. 

If you sit him and he goes off you're killing yourself for heeding the warnings. If you play him and he does nothing you're killing yourself for not heeding the warnings. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Rolling with Malcolm Mitchell. This sucks. 

Sat for Chris Hogan and that gives us both ability to take it up to kickoff. I'll put Julio back if I get one of those rosy pre-game reports that he's running around and looks good or the same. Anything less than that and Hogan remains. If we both sit Julio I think one of us will be end up happy, probably the one that does not draw a lot of Jimmy Smith. 

I got lucky with Hill going off on Thursday, but now i'm F----- because of Julio.

My only other option in my PPR league are:

Cobb vs SEA

Inman @ CAR

Thielen @JAX

Ginn vs SD

what do? :(

I have some decent options but no idea which way to go.  If I bench Julio I can go with Cobb or MMitchell or Dion Lewis (ppr).  I'm already starting Mitchell in another playoff matchup so not sure if I want to put two leagues in his hands so right now I'm leaning toward Lewis.  I could also pick up Gabriel though and just plug him in if Julio is inactive.  Any thoughts?

I am leaning towards sitting him even if he plays.  I expect ATL to run the ball a lot.  I wouldn't be surprised if Freeman and Coleman run the ball 30+ times against LA.

My other options are LaFell against CLE or Beasley against the NYG on Sunday Night.  LaFell is the better play, but I am concerned about the weather in CLE.

Either way I am pretty screwed, but we all know what we're signing up for when drafting Julio.

I have some decent options but no idea which way to go.  If I bench Julio I can go with Cobb or MMitchell or Dion Lewis (ppr).  I'm already starting Mitchell in another playoff matchup so not sure if I want to put two leagues in his hands so right now I'm leaning toward Lewis.  I could also pick up Gabriel though and just plug him in if Julio is inactive.  Any thoughts?
If you have a better option at 1pm than Gabriel, I would just sit Julio and play your 1pm WR.  Otherwise, pick up Gabriel and sub him if Julio sits.  If you choose option B, then you're really hoping Julio sits.

Putting in Jarvis Landry in the earlier games in place of Julio...  Also have Michael Thomas, so might play it by ear before the late games and see which one of those 2 I will put in.

Have Michael Thomas for now and just picked up Gabriel, if JJ is declared as inactive, Gabriel is going in for MT in the late games.  But JJ will probably just be in as decoy  :sadbanana:

Can't afford to take the risk of another under-performing WR in my lineup (Crabtree on Thursday night).

Going with Jamison Crowder in early afternoon game, so there's no turning back regardless of what we hear at game time regarding Julio...

:sadbanana:

Last game, Julio had almost 10 points in PPR after getting 4 catches in the first 5 plays. Then basically disappeared for the rest of the game .... uhhhh!! I think I have to choose his replacement between Sterling Sheppard and Willy Snead. 

I'm benching him for Devante Adams or maybe Coleman.  O am trying to figure out the weather and who will cover Adams.  Ginn is another possibility but thats iffy.

I have no choice but to bench him, I cant roll a guy with the info we have. If it bites me, it bites me. I have to give my team the best chance to win with the info I have. :hangshead:
M

Ugh, my choices to replace him come down to Lamar Miller(who i can no longer trust) or T. Gabriel(worried about coverage with julio/sanu out)

On a somewhat related note if he has no or limited Julio combined with no Sanu is anyone still starting Matt Ryan?

I got this one league with horrible rule of stopping waivers after week 13 and it's not only a Julio team(and Gronk who got put on IR a day after waivers ran) but my only two QB's are Ryan without his weapons or Mariotta against Denver. I consider Denver basically unplayable for QB's and WR's and right now I see me going with Mariotta, that's how unattractive I see this going for Ryan.

And does this help or hurt Freeman/Coleman/Gabriel? Julio got a big piece of the pie but he sure makes life easier on all of them.
1st round playoffs and one team in mine has benched Ryan and julio for Kapernick  and Inman..

I'm benching him, 

Stafford, Matthew DET QBGurley, Todd RAM RBHyde, Carlos SFO RBBoyd, Tyler CIN WRBryant, Dez DAL WRCobb, Randall GBP WREifert, Tyler CIN TEOlsen, Greg CAR TEHauschka, Steven SEA PKFairley, Nick NOS DTAlualu, Tyson JAC DEWilliams, Kyle BUF DEAlexander, Lorenzo BUF LBBrown, Zach BUF LBOgletree, Alec RAM LBRobertson, Craig NOS LBPorter, Tracy CHI CBShead, Deshawn SEA CBByrd, Jairus NOS SDemps, Quintin HOU S

Just sat him for TE Walker. Wasn't happy either way, but I think this is the lesser of 2 evils.

ETA:Just saw Wright is inactive. Not sure how I feel about Walker now.

If the Falcons are going to be this obvious about him being a decoy he should just sit out and rest it up. How dumb are some teams' medical staffs who continue to run players out there even though they know the way to heal the injury is "rest?"  

Honestly, no non-QB in the NFL who is significantly and visibly injured is better than his backup...

djjosee said:
Have Michael Thomas for now and just picked up Gabriel, if JJ is declared as inactive, Gabriel is going in for MT in the late games.  But JJ will probably just be in as decoy  :sadbanana:
Just a heads up that Michael Thomas is a game time call as well.

latest i've heard is he just went to stadium to test out foot.  Everyone is saying unlikely to play but nothing definitive yet.

if you get the free email ipsates, a beat writer for Atlanta thinks he will be a decoy at best. take it for what it's worth:

1. ATL - WR Julio Jones to be 'decoy at best' Week 14

Source: The Atlanta Journal-Constitution - D. Orlando Ledbetter

Atlanta Falcons WR Julio Jones (toe) is expected to be active for Week 14 versus the Los Angeles Rams despite being considered a game-time decision. However, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution's D. Orlando Ledbetter believes the star wideout will be a ''decoy at best' for the game.

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ FOOTBALLGUYS VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

Keep this in mind when setting your fantasy lineup. We're all for 'starting your studs' once in the fantasy postseason, but this is an ominous warning from a veteran beat writer. If you start Jones, proceed with caution.

finally gave up and plugged snead in instead of julio, hoping m.thomas will be limited more than julio. i'll be at the game today, if i run into julio i'll let him know how disappointed we are.

Vaughn McClureESPN Staff Writer 

Falcons coach Dan Quinn said on 92.9 The Game radio that Julio Jones has a toe sprain and not turf toe. That's a change.

I was always under the impression that turf toe was a big toe sprain, so I'm uncertain how this news changes anything. Not expected to practice today, but we'll see how the week develops.

Last week we got an insane amount of reporting on Julio so expecting that this week too and it will help us make an informed decision.

I would need to see a full Friday practice to put him in my lineup.. in a game where ATL doesn't need him to win against SF.   Remember, last week he was dnp all three days... So he really wasn't that close to playing

Hes benched for Rob Kelley or Gabriel  unless he has a full go on Friday and sounds like he won't be limited.   I hope they just sit him again. 

Vaughn McClureESPN Staff Writer 

Falcons coach Dan Quinn said on 92.9 The Game radio that Julio Jones has a toe sprain and not turf toe. That's a change.

I was always under the impression that turf toe was a big toe sprain, so I'm uncertain how this news changes anything. Not expected to practice today, but we'll see how the week develops.
It is. Turf toe is an MTP sprain (Metatarsal phalangeal sprain). It's the joint that your toe connects to the foot part. The ball of the foot is the 1st MTP joint. So this would be where his pain is. The big toe is the last thing to leave the ground when you run. So flexion at this joint is incredibly important. I remember years ago when Shaq basically had a huge issue here and I made a claim to some people I was talking to that this could ultimately shorten his career. It kind of did. If this lingers this is incredibly important. We are talking about huge difficulty making cuts, running routes, juking, even sprinting/jumping. 

So no, this is not a change at all. 

I am thinking they will sit him again, or play him sparingly. it's a game they will win and don't need their star player to flare this up

It is. Turf toe is an MTP sprain (Metatarsal phalangeal sprain). It's the joint that your toe connects to the foot part. The ball of the foot is the 1st MTP joint. So this would be where his pain is. The big toe is the last thing to leave the ground when you run. So flexion at this joint is incredibly important. I remember years ago when Shaq basically had a huge issue here and I made a claim to some people I was talking to that this could ultimately shorten his career. It kind of did. If this lingers this is incredibly important. We are talking about huge difficulty making cuts, running routes, juking, even sprinting/jumping. 

So no, this is not a change at all. 

I am thinking they will sit him again, or play him sparingly. it's a game they will win and don't need their star player to flare this up
So, all turf toes are sprained toes, but are all sprained toes, turf toe?  (does that make sense?)

What I mean is, can he have a sprained toe and not be turf toe, or is every type of sprained toe considered turf toe?

Users who are viewing this thread