What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Commish Messed Up Playoff Bracket For #2 What To Do? (1 Viewer)

jeaton6

Footballguy
I am out of playoffs so this does not impact me for money or draft picks whatsoever. I caught the error today as I was reviewing the bylaws. 

Bylaws say 1 seed plays lowest remaining seed. 2 seed plays highest remaining seed. This should have been 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3. However, MFL defaulted to 1 vs 3/6 winner and 2 vs 4/5 winner and the commissioner never changed the matchups. The results were 1 beat 3 and 2 beat 4. But if they had been done correctly then 1 would have lost to 4 and 2 would have beat 3. So right now it's 1 vs 2 but it should have been 4 vs 2. 

No response from Commish yet. What's right thing to do here?

oops reread it. What a #### up.

Of course the playoff team should have noticed it was wrong. Maybe they did and thought they had the easy matchup so they said nothing at the time.

How does a playoff team not verify who they should be playing? They have 3 days to check it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately this is one in a series of Ef-Ups by this guy throughout our inaugural season. 

I am out of playoffs so this does not impact me for money or draft picks whatsoever. I caught the error today as I was reviewing the bylaws. 

Bylaws say 1 seed plays lowest remaining seed. 2 seed plays highest remaining seed. This should have been 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3. However, MFL defaulted to 1 vs 3/6 winner and 2 vs 4/5 winner and the commissioner never changed the matchups. The results were 1 beat 3 and 2 beat 4. But if they had been done correctly then 1 would have lost to 4 and 2 would have beat 3. So right now it's 1 vs 2 but it should have been 4 vs 2. 

No response from Commish yet. What's right thing to do here?
I can relate as I screwed up exactly this one year.  MFL won't re-seed automatically so if you want to re-seed you have to do it manually and I forgot one year.

I didn't catch it until Thursday of the following week and it did change the results (a guy that won with the screw-up should have lost with the correct match-ups).  I made the change to the correct matchups (didn't affect my team as I was already out) and offered to pay the buy-in of the guy who was getting changed to a loss.  He declined and was very understanding.

Bottom line is it sucks to think you're about to play in the next round and then find out that you are actually out, but ultimately you know that by the rules you were already out.

Bylaws are there for a reason. The ability to set the correct playoff matchup prior to the week being played exists on MFL and can also be changed retroactively. Those being the facts, the commish needs to step up and do the correct thing. The correct matchups should be used. Ignorance by all parties involved in those games is not a valid reason to let the mistake ride.

Bylaws are there for a reason. The ability to set the correct playoff matchup prior to the week being played exists on MFL and can also be changed retroactively. Those being the facts, the commish needs to step up and do the correct thing. The correct matchups should be used. Ignorance by all parties involved in those games is not a valid reason to let the mistake ride.
Agreed.

I guarantee the guy who should have lost knows the schedule is messed up and isn't saying anything.

I posted the issue on the message board and the commish DELETED it with no comments. Unethical POS. 

I posted the issue on the message board and the commish DELETED it with no comments. Unethical POS. 
That league is done. You said you are out for the season? Find a new one.

I bet money we could find 12 owners in this thread for a fun redraft next season.

Set it on fire.  Email the league, explain what happened and how it's an honest mistake that could be easily fixed, then let them know about the deleted post.  It sounds like a #### move but it's better than you just silently leaving, they replace you, and 10 other random guys are left with a POS commish.  If I were in that league I'd rather know immediately.  That's the kind of commish that absconds with money, that deletes transactions that don't benefit him, that access teams' pending transactions to get an advantage - and lord knows what else.  The kind I wouldn't want to play with under any circumstances.

Set it on fire.  Email the league, explain what happened and how it's an honest mistake that could be easily fixed, then let them know about the deleted post.  It sounds like a #### move but it's better than you just silently leaving, they replace you, and 10 other random guys are left with a POS commish.  If I were in that league I'd rather know immediately.  That's the kind of commish that absconds with money, that deletes transactions that don't benefit him, that access teams' pending transactions to get an advantage - and lord knows what else.  The kind I wouldn't want to play with under any circumstances.
I emailed the league. Took the high road by only calling him a piece of *%#+ (well maybe a little more lol). And left the league. :)  

There have been many other issues throughout the year where he just deflected the issue and never owned anything. 

So the commish is the guy that should have lost? Yep, email the entire league and gtfo of it next year
Actually he isn't. He just has a holier than thou attitude and amongst other things he will never admit he could have possibly made an error. 

Being a commish sucks, but maintaining a proper draft, handling money correctly, and running an accurate playoff are the few non-negotiables of the job. 

Being a commish sucks, but maintaining a proper draft, handling money correctly, and running an accurate playoff are the few non-negotiables of the job. 
The only non-neogtiable part is owning up when something goes wrong.  Mistakes are going to happen, you do the best you can given the bylaws and tools available.  You never just ignore or worse bury the problem.  This wasn't even that big of a deal until the guy deleted the post, because now the integrity question gets raised.  What else has he falsified?  Are there bogus transactions he deleted?  What is going to happen when it's something even worse?  What's to stop him from finding an MIA  owner and performing a "trade" with that team?  Once you can't trust the commish the league is toast.

I once had a situation where our website failed to calculate the 2 point conversion for RBs. It only happened a handful of times that season and never in any of the games I was involved in, so I never noticed. So, in the playoffs, there was a conversion  and one of the guys that it happened against, noticed, but didn't tell anyone because his game was very close. Even the team that didn't get credited for it didn't notice. The guy who noticed told another owner in the playoffs, but made him promise not to tell. Anyway, he ended up winning by three that week, so it didn't impact his outcome. Both of those teams advanced to the Finals.  A week later after the Fantasy Bowl, the second guy tells me about it and says we need to make sure it doesn't happen again next year. I was a bit pissed that neither team had the integrity to mention it when it happened.

It was a system issue from the website and I got it adjusted. I went back to the score to make sure it worked. Well I looked at the standings and noticed this happened to change the outcome of a regular season game and the second guy would have never made the playoffs. Oh crap. We had nothing in our rules for over 15 years to address this situation.

I took a league vote. 2-3 guys (including the two from above) said it was too late to change it now.  The rest of us voted to change it because the conversion was in our league rules and wanted the true intended outcome to play out. The second owner complained like crazy. I said, if the site worked correctly, you would have never even qualified for the playoffs.  I know it sucks, but how can you legitimately complain about a team that didn't deserve to make the playoffs.

The situation sucked. It was a tough decision. Those of us that finished second through fourth voluntarily split up our three prizes into 4 and gave the second owner an equal 4th of a share.

I'm surprised people would advocate changing the results of games that have already been played. Would the NFL do that? They didn't even reverse the Fail Mary. It happened, it was a screw up, they moved on.

Everyone saw their opponent the Wednesday before the games. And after the Thursday game. And over the weekend. And Sunday morning. And during the Sunday games. And before MNF. And after MNF. Now someone notices (not even one of the affected owners) and people want to undo the games? What kind of owner makes the playoffs and doesn't bother to see if they're playing the correct team? 

If I was commish, I'd leave it as is and make sure I take it upon myself to verify everything before the playoffs in the future. If people want to quit, that's fine. You don't undo the results of fully-completed games days after the results are final. You fix problems if and when you can. But you can't be like Superman* and spin the Earth backward so fast that we go back in time and pretend things never happened. 

It was an error, but everyone was fine with it. Fine= too lazy to verify at any point during the entire week. Keep the results the way they actually happened. Maybe someone set their lineup based on who their opponent had (counter a QB with a WR, go high risk if they were favored to lose big, play it safe if they were favored). Now you're changing the opponent but leaving the decisions the same? Too many problems imo. 

* The old movie. 

Edit: Not excusing the commish deleting the post. That's unacceptable, so the league probably goes away anyway. I'm just talking about the principle.

First year, cut bait.  If it were a long standing league I might have a little latitude such as an e-mail/post stating we need to review this for next year, but once games have been played it is not really an option to retroactively fix it.  Complete d move to delete the post, but just another reason I would cut bait.

Similar situation in our league (which has been together 24 years) and it turned out in my favor in retrospect - but it was still foul.  Playoff seeding is division winners get top 3 seeds and remaining seeds are determined by overall record, then division record, then head to head, then point differential (points scored minus points against).  Once seeds set, one bracket was 1v8 and 4v5; other bracket was 2 v 7 and 3 v 6.

Well commish's buddy was the 3 seed and l was the 2.  6 and 7 seeds had identical records overall and division, split head to head, and point differential in head to head AND overall favored Team B.  However when commish manually set the playoffs he had Team A at 6 seed and Team B at 7 seed.  Mind you Team B was projected to score some ridiculously low amount in Playoff round 1 due to injuries and matchups so it was very obvious the commish was setting the bracket to favor his buddy.  Before the first round game, I pointed out the error in seeding and was told his reasoning was his buddy's team played a tougher schedule so deserved the higher seed (mind you not following the established rules for seeding).  So I left it with we need to revisit this next year so there is no subjectivity in seeding - follow the formula and don't arbitrarily "award" seeds.  Well, fantasy being what it is the team I wound up playing had a terrible week and the team I was supposed to be playing would have beat me (projected terrible, but wound up scoring 3rd highest total of the week), but instead lost to the the commish's buddy (who scored 2nd highest of the week).  Round two rolls around and I knock off the commish's buddy (who would have beaten the guy he beat the week before who he shoudl have played this week but was now in the consolation bracket instead of having advanced if he would have beat me).  

Commish comes back and states he wants to correct the error heading into finals - it should be his buddy in the finals when all corrections made. Fortunately he, his buddy and the guy who lost round 1 were the only votes saying the correction should be made, the rest of the league voted to play out the playoffs as he had bracketed them.  So now I wind up in the finals in a tainted manner, but I was the one who called out the error prior to playoff week 1 and was shot down by the commish.  The only guy I feel bad for is the guy who should have beat me in Round 1, who would have lost last week but got screwed by the arbitrary seeding.  In the end had the commish just followed the rules, his buddy would be in the finals - but by trying to manipulate the seedings to his buddies advantage it cost him a shot at the championship.  

It's a big screw up by the commsih, and his actions in response to your league message warrant the collapse of the league for sure.  That said, the threshold to protest this error kind of expired after the games were played.  I partially blame the teams involved in the playoffs for either not catching the error earlier, or not saying anything because it might have benefitted them.  

It sucks but you have to just let the games go on as is and I'd be surprised if the league is renewed next year. 

The only non-neogtiable part is owning up when something goes wrong.  Mistakes are going to happen, you do the best you can given the bylaws and tools available.  You never just ignore or worse bury the problem.  This wasn't even that big of a deal until the guy deleted the post, because now the integrity question gets raised.  What else has he falsified?  Are there bogus transactions he deleted?  What is going to happen when it's something even worse?  What's to stop him from finding an MIA  owner and performing a "trade" with that team?  Once you can't trust the commish the league is toast.
The commissioner action, inaction and abuse was widespread. 

1) Bylaws said players lock at game time. League calendar said Friday night. Rather than adjust the calendar to the bylaws (as most said should be done)  when people questioned this he simply said the calendar took precedent and blamed league members for not looking at the calendar.

2) He was asked to include tanking and collusion language in bylaws. He stated he wanted to see how things went this year and he would look after it himself and take action as necessary. He did not. As a matter of fact he allowed 2 different teams to start incomplete lineups against him. 1 team started bye week players or incomplete lineups 5 times this year and 4/5 weeks at end of year when he was out of it. Never did he commish say anything about or address either issue until he was asked to do so and even then he mostly just came back with snark. 

3) Bylaw changes (after the fact) - Bylaws said 3 division champs and 3 best non division champs made playoffs. They also said top 2 teams by record regardless of division would be 1 and 2 seeds. They were silent on how 3-6 order would be determined. But logic would say if top 2 not based on division champ then 3-6 wouldn't either. He was asked to clarify. He did not clarify but he did go into the bylaws and change them without telling anyone adding "The top 3 seeds are the division winners". So in the original part he said top 2 were based on best record and #2 didn't have to win division and in the new addition he tried to sneak in without telling anyone that top 3 are division winners. This doesn't make sense. He was called out for changing the bylaws and he simply said he added the clarification and didn't change the intent of the bylaws and didn't feel it was necessary to tell anyone. Obviously he totally changed the intent. This had an impact on the seedings and made a Weak 5-8 division winner that should have been the 6 seed the 3 seed instead. And he the commissioner became the 6 seed (and played the weak division winner) instead of being the 5 seed. He also did this somehow without going into commissioner Lockout status. 

4) Jacking up the playoffs for round 2 which was the original post. By the way he isn't taking any ownership of this at all. He told the guy who got screwed and played the 2 seed instead of the 1 seed that he lost fair and square. Completely unapologetic. Didn't even address the fact that he messed up.  Nothing about being sure to get it right in the future, etc.

I'm a commissioner and would absolutely retroactively edit the matchups to correctly pair the correct teams against each other. Regardless if the week is already over. 

I honestly don't understand those that think the mistake/error should be left to stand as is. To use your reasoning: Oh well, mistakes happen, then they get corrected.....move on. I'll reiterate what I posted earlier.....Ignorance (by all parties involved) is not a valid reason for not correcting the mistake. Not making the corrections is even more ignorant because that is ignoring the written bylaws of the league, which should always take precedence over whatever limitations or quirks the host site has.

I'm a commissioner and would absolutely retroactively edit the matchups to correctly pair the correct teams against each other. Regardless if the week is already over. 

I honestly don't understand those that think the mistake/error should be left to stand as is. To use your reasoning: Oh well, mistakes happen, then they get corrected.....move on. I'll reiterate what I posted earlier.....Ignorance (by all parties involved) is not a valid reason for not correcting the mistake. Not making the corrections is even more ignorant because that is ignoring the written bylaws of the league, which should always take precedence over whatever limitations or quirks the host site has.
I understand your view here and agree with most of it.  You really can't argue rules that have been set and made available for all to see prior to the mistake.  

That said, you can make a case that lineups were set based on matchups that may have been different against another opponent.  I know it sounds like BS because you should always put the lineup in that you think will give you the most points, but sometimes you take greater risks based on what you're up against.  

I just feel like it opens a can of worms for too many arguments if you go back and change it after the fact.   The odds are if the teams that got screwed didn't know who they should have been playing, then they probably don't care too much anyway. Not that that makes it right, it just makes it easier to move on from this mistake and leave it behind.   

Just a thought here....but I doubt this was truly intended as a dynasty league. This was a one year money grab where the commish thought he could either win it all or abscond with the cash. I'm betting no one gets paid when all is said and done this year.

I understand your view here and agree with most of it.  You really can't argue rules that have been set and made available for all to see prior to the mistake.  

That said, you can make a case that lineups were set based on matchups that may have been different against another opponent.  I know it sounds like BS because you should always put the lineup in that you think will give you the most points, but sometimes you take greater risks based on what you're up against.  

I just feel like it opens a can of worms for too many arguments if you go back and change it after the fact.   The odds are if the teams that got screwed didn't know who they should have been playing, then they probably don't care too much anyway. Not that that makes it right, it just makes it easier to move on from this mistake and leave it behind.   
Again, the fact that playoff teams posted lineups and didn't verify that their opponent was correct is just simple ignorance. (To claim afterwards that you would have used a different lineup had you known the correct opponent is most definitely BS, and ignorant.) Again, ignorance is no excuse to not retroactively change things to be correct (intent of bylaws.) The can of worms was opened the second the wrong matchups were used. Two wrongs do not make a right. To not retroactively make corrections is doubling down on the original mistake. 

OK, but the games are over. Over by days. Does your league fix scoring errors from week 1 in week 10? Or is there a time when the scoring is final? It seems wrong to change the matchups eight days after they're set. 

If you change the matchups, do you allow the owners to change who they would have started if they say they made moves based on their opponent? Can they change their waiver pickups from the previous week? If not, aren't you arbitarily making changes to what actually happened, but not letting them run their team they way they would have?  

Just a thought here....but I doubt this was truly intended as a dynasty league. This was a one year money grab where the commish thought he could either win it all or abscond with the cash. I'm betting no one gets paid when all is said and done this year.
Will be interesting to see if they do. It does use leaguesafe and majority ownership approval.

I guess I can see how this happens. 1st year dynasty league. I'm guessing the commish created the rules, scoring, starters, roster sizes, etc and then invited people to play - possibly people that knew each other either directly or though the interwebs. You trust the commish to do the leg work, figuring you can trust him and that he knows the rules the best. After all, if you don't trust the commish why would you ever join up and pay money up front?

So in the best case scenario the commish chose a pre-packaged playoff bracket and then let the software do the work. It slipped his mind about the highest seed realignment.  Then he lost his mind a little when he saw your post, was embarrassed, and deleted it because of that. 

Worse scenario is he knew the rules, let it play out figuring he could benefit either way by letting it alone or reseeding after the results, whichever best suited him, to give him a weighted edge to win the league. 

Worst case scenario is no one really knows each other well and he doesn't give a crap because he never intended to pay anyone any winnings in the end and rather was going to pocket the money himself all along. The dynasty angle would help sell the con by giving the impression he was in for the long haul (I actually was one of the victims of this type of scam about a decade ago).

By deleting your post, he automatically loses the benefit of the doubt and you have to assume he is knowingly cheating. Best thing you can do now is try to get any money back that you can along with all the other owners. Know that you probably are screwed. So really the point is moot about following the rules and resetting the playoff brackets. You're likely wasting anymore time you invest in this, knowing your money is already gone. 

It might  benefit others if you expose this guy publicly here so it reduces anyone else getting drawn in next year. 

BTW - the right thing to do is reset the brackets retroactively. The rules are the rules, and if there were ever a chance for this league to get to year 2 you have to follow them, as distasteful as it may seem. This is a correctable error. You correct it. 

OK, but the games are over. Over by days. Does your league fix scoring errors from week 1 in week 10? Or is there a time when the scoring is final? It seems wrong to change the matchups eight days after they're set. 

If you change the matchups, do you allow the owners to change who they would have started if they say they made moves based on their opponent? Can they change their waiver pickups from the previous week? If not, aren't you arbitarily making changes to what actually happened, but not letting them run their team they way they would have?  
To me what's really wrong is the commissioner not doing his job to begin with. In a real sport or competition of any kind this would never happen. The issue resulted from a lazy and ineffective commissioner. I suppose one could blame everyone else for not double checking the matchups but the reality is it's the commissioners responsibility to get it right and when he doesn't to use the bylaws as the final say. Unfortunately he set precedence earlier this year by simply saying the bylaws were not the final say in the case of the waiver run times. So now he is just doing whatever he feels like. And for him since he can't ever admit he's made a mistake he will simply dig in, deflect the error and point the finger back at the aggrieved parties when they question his ef up.

Again, the fact that playoff teams posted lineups and didn't verify that their opponent was correct is just simple ignorance. (To claim afterwards that you would have used a different lineup had you known the correct opponent is most definitely BS, and ignorant.) Again, ignorance is no excuse to not retroactively change things to be correct (intent of bylaws.) The can of worms was opened the second the wrong matchups were used. Two wrongs do not make a right. To not retroactively make corrections is doubling down on the original mistake. 
I don't think it's BS at all. Here are very realistic examples:

1. My opponent started Graham and Rawls on Thursday night. I started Lockett. I'm looking great headed into the weekend. His best player is Beckham, so I start Eli (instead of Brees) to limit the damage he can cause. Playing a different opponent I might be more worried about losing, and want the upside of Brees. Do I get to start Brees in this new matchup?

2. My supposed opponent is hurting at TE since Fiedorowitz got hurt. There are only a couple of decent options on the waiver wire, so I make room for both of them to block him. As a result I drop players I would have kept that I'd rather have. Will you allow me to reverse those moves that I never would have made knowing my new opponent has no TE issues? 

Both are realistic. How can you undo one thing that already happened, but keep in place owner behavior that occurred only because of the opponent? Change everything or nothing. Which is it?

They already had the opportunity to run their team. They were ignorant of who they should have been matched up against in the playoffs. Either they didn't notice, or they did and chose not to say anything (as they thought they might gain an advantage by not saying anything.) Now, prior to the next weeks games the mistake was found and can be corrected before any more playoff games start.

It's Thursday. NFL stat adjustments come out today. They sometimes affect the outcomes of fantasy games. Corrections get made. Plenty of time to fix the mistake in this league.

1. My opponent started Graham and Rawls on Thursday night. I started Lockett. I'm looking great headed into the weekend. His best player is Beckham, so I start Eli (instead of Brees) to limit the damage he can cause. Playing a different opponent I might be more worried about losing, and want the upside of Brees. Do I get to start Brees in this new matchup?

I don't understand this logic in the least. So you intentionally start a player you think will score less points to "limit the damage"?  Intuitively I could see where this might have some logic, but realistically you are willfully taking a greater risk of scoring fewer points.  

You play the players that you think will score the most points. Always. Who you start does not impact the performance of your opponents players in the least.  Bettors who try to middle lines usually lose. 

They already had the opportunity to run their team. They were ignorant of who they should have been matched up against in the playoffs. Either they didn't notice, or they did and chose not to say anything (as they thought they might gain an advantage by not saying anything.) Now, prior to the next weeks games the mistake was found and can be corrected before any more playoff games start.

It's Thursday. NFL stat adjustments come out today. They sometimes affect the outcomes of fantasy games. Corrections get made. Plenty of time to fix the mistake in this league.
You're assuming that nobody considers their opponent when running their team. You might not, but I assure you that many, many owners do. You're saying they had their chance to run their team...and they did, based on their opponent. How can you change the opponent but leave those game plans in place? Sounds like an overreach to me. 

Imagine a real NFL team resting starters in week 17 ahead of a wild card game...then the NFL tells them there was a mix up and they needed to win that game to make the playoffs. But hey, they had a chance to run their team, so its their fault they played backups. Sounds absurd, because teams take many factors into consideration when starting players and making moves (teams have signed scrub players from an upcoming opponent to try and get intel on preparations, signals, whatever). 

So why is it so hard to imagine that a fantasy owner would make fantasy decisions based on their opponent? How can a commish change that element and pretend there's no impact on how those owners would have run their team? 

2. My supposed opponent is hurting at TE since Fiedorowitz got hurt. There are only a couple of decent options on the waiver wire, so I make room for both of them to block him. As a result I drop players I would have kept that I'd rather have. Will you allow me to reverse those moves that I never would have made knowing my new opponent has no TE issues? 

Both are realistic. How can you undo one thing that already happened, but keep in place owner behavior that occurred only because of the opponent? Change everything or nothing. Which is it?
The playoff teams that made waiver moves and lineup decisions based on their playoff matchup have already crossed the ignorance line by not verifying that their opponent was correct. Assuming things were on the up-n-up after a season where the commish was a bit shady is also ignorant. Ignorance is no excuse.

If I made this mistake and somebody caught it after the fact I would retroactively make the changes. Complaints about waivers made and lineup decisions would fall on deaf ears. 

I don't understand this logic in the least. So you intentionally start a player you think will score less points to "limit the damage"?  Intuitively I could see where this might have some logic, but realistically you are willfully taking a greater risk of scoring fewer points.  

You play the players that you think will score the most points. Always. Who you start does not impact the performance of your opponents players in the least.  Bettors who try to middle lines usually lose. 
No, YOU always play the players who you think will score the most points. I try to win games. If that means sacrificing potential points (Eli) in order to prevent getting blindsided (Beckham), I'm willing to do that if I have a big lead (Thursday game). I will consider sacrificing points to limit my risk. And I'm not alone. Look at any number of threads discussing countering a QB with an opponent's WR, and vice-versa.

Likewise, if I'm way behind, I'll take a risk with a player who has one huge game out of four instead of the steady player. I need to simply hope he has a blowup game, even though I think he's more likely to be a dud. I want to win my game, based on the circumstances of that opponent and matchup.

And even if you think I'm crazy, it's my team. Who is the commish to say nobody does that? Clearly, people do. If it hurts me, that's my call. But if you change my opponent and leave my game plan in place, that's not right.  

You're assuming that nobody considers their opponent when running their team.

So why is it so hard to imagine that a fantasy owner would make fantasy decisions based on their opponent?
No, I'm not assuming anything. I consider my opponent weekly. It's why I would know the bylaws and verify my playoff opponent was correct (BEFORE I made waiver moves or lineup decisions).....but thats just me. What I find hard to imagine is that folks think doubling down and making more mistakes is the best way to handle this situation. All it's doing is compounding it.

The playoff teams that made waiver moves and lineup decisions based on their playoff matchup have already crossed the ignorance line by not verifying that their opponent was correct. Assuming things were on the up-n-up after a season where the commish was a bit shady is also ignorant. Ignorance is no excuse.

If I made this mistake and somebody caught it after the fact I would retroactively make the changes. Complaints about waivers made and lineup decisions would fall on deaf ears. 
So ignorance is no excuse when it comes to you changing the opponents, but they crossed an imaginary line when it comes to running their team, and now they have to stick with decisions made based on the other matchup when you know they could have been different? With all due respect, there is ignorance at work, but it's not coming from the owners.

I believe you that complaints would fall on deaf ears. I submit that you take your job as commissioner seriously, but you're not very good at it. Commissioners need better hearing. You'd make a bad situation worse, and prove yourself to be unsympathetic to realistic examples because being consistent is either too difficult or too inconvenient. You know you're opening up a can of worms, and you don't care. Sometimes a half-measure is worse than doing nothing. 

On the bright side, we can probably all come together and agree this league is doomed. Beware of schedule quirks, and reactive commissioners. 

But if you change my opponent and leave my game plan in place, that's not right.  
You had the opportunity to verify that you were playing the correct opponent. If you noticed and didn't notify anyone, the commish, the league....shame on you. If you didn't notice then you were ignorant. Not an excuse. 

No, I'm not assuming anything. I consider my opponent weekly. It's why I would know the bylaws and verify my playoff opponent was correct (BEFORE I made waiver moves or lineup decisions).....but thats just me. What I find hard to imagine is that folks think doubling down and making more mistakes is the best way to handle this situation. All it's doing is compounding it.
I humbly suggest that forcing teams to keep a strategy even though you switched opponents is doubling down and making more mistakes. 

If the commish is changing the opponents, why wouldn't he also change the lineups and waiver moves? To change this but not that, to interfere here but not there, is arbitrary and more damaging to the league than just leaving it alone.

You had the opportunity to verify that you were playing the correct opponent. If you noticed and didn't notify anyone, the commish, the league....shame on you. If you didn't notice then you were ignorant. Not an excuse. 
As commish, you had the opportunity to verify that your league was running properly (not actually you, but the commish in this example). You don't actually "fix the problem" by changing opponents and leaving everyone's strategy that applied to a different opponent. I get the desire to pretend it's a simple fix, but that's being lazy. 

It shouldn't be the owner's punishment to keep the wrong strategy because they didn't verify the opponent. It should be the commissioner's punishment to accept that things went wrong that year because he didn't do his job. Everyone should check, but one person is responsible for running the league. Making more mistakes because it's complicated is not running the league properly imo. 

Maybe I am looking at this differently than most. I can honestly say that if I was a team in the playoffs and never noticed the wrong opponent and then later the commish wanted to fix things and make them right....I'd be okay with it. I mean seriously, I obviously was ignorant as to who my opponent should have been. If I had paid more attention I would have noticed and made sure the commish was made aware of the problem prior to the games. But that's just me. I don't want to win a title on a technical error by the commish.....one that could have been retroactively corrected. I'd rather lose that way than win on a technical error. My ignorance is no excuse.

I humbly suggest that forcing teams to keep a strategy even though you switched opponents is doubling down and making more mistakes. 

If the commish is changing the opponents, why wouldn't he also change the lineups and waiver moves? To change this but not that, to interfere here but not there, is arbitrary and more damaging to the league than just leaving it alone.
From week to week there tend to be very few Lineup changes in most of my dynasty leagues. Especially once you move beyond the bye weeks. The 1 seed that should have lost carried over his week 13/14 lineup. The 4 seed that should have won made 2 changes. There was no obvious player offsets going on in any of the matchups either. Neither made any WW transactions. 

Maybe I am looking at this differently than most. I can honestly say that if I was a team in the playoffs and never noticed the wrong opponent and then later the commish wanted to fix things and make them right....I'd be okay with it. I mean seriously, I obviously was ignorant as to who my opponent should have been. If I had paid more attention I would have noticed and made sure the commish was made aware of the problem prior to the games. But that's just me. I don't want to win a title on a technical error by the commish.....one that could have been retroactively corrected. I'd rather lose that way than win on a technical error. My ignorance is no excuse.
I'm with you. When you hear "well I would have used a different lineup" as an impartial observer, that's something you immediately laugh at and then start a group text with other league members to make fun of that sore loser.

I guess I don't see it as being "retroactively corrected." It's an incomplete solution, and if "you should have checked" is the rationale for ignoring valid strategy complaints, it's actually a better rationale for leaving it exactly as is. 

At least by leaving it the same, everyone played who they thought they were playing, made their decisions based on that, and won or lost because of it. The winners knew they won and the losers knew they lost. None of them even knew it was wrong. But if the games are over and the totals tallied, I think changing it (and nothing else) is a mistake.

I do appreciate wanting to right a wrong. But it's absolutely realistic that strategies were affected by the opponent, and if ignorance is no excuse...that's a better reason to leave it and reject calls to make changes after the fact. Carving up the playoff schedule is a surgery that will likely kill the patient (the league). Better to live with the disability of an incorrect matchup that nobody caught. 

I'm with you. When you hear "well I would have used a different lineup" as an impartial observer, that's something you immediately laugh at and then start a group text with other league members to make fun of that sore loser.
Is that because you think they're lying, or it becomes too complicated to deal with? Do you think owners don't make decisions based on the opponent? Just trying to understand why that's so silly to you. 

To be honest, the notion that a commissioner would change playoff opponents and outcomes days after the games ended is laughable on a good day. On a bad day it would solicit different reactions. 

It's just not as simple as retroactively fixing it based on the rules.  If it were a "best ball" type league with no lineups, I could get behind the retroactive move.  Too many factors and decisions went into the lineups that were set to just reverse it.  I agree with Bronco Billy that middling the lines is not a great strategy, but it was still used because of who that team was up against.  I also agree with Ruffrody that you are in a sense doubling down on the mistake, but it's unfortunately not a black and white issue.

Last weekend I had to choose between Kenneth Farrow and Latavius Murray.  They had the same later game time which gave me a good idea of what I needed by kickoff.  Farrow was my upside guy if I was down by a lot.  Murray was my safe guy if I was protecting a lead.  My decisions were based solely on my matchup vs my opponent. Since we now have the ability to change our lineup until kickoff of most games, it adds another element to your strategy.  I don't think you can just go back and re-format the bracket after thoughts like that are put into the lineup.  

Bottom line is the whole situation sucks and whatever the outcome, there is no true correct way of handling it.  Commish just needs to make a decision and live with the consequence.  

From week to week there tend to be very few Lineup changes in most of my dynasty leagues. Especially once you move beyond the bye weeks. The 1 seed that should have lost carried over his week 13/14 lineup. The 4 seed that should have won made 2 changes. There was no obvious player offsets going on in any of the matchups either. Neither made any WW transactions. 
I'm just having fun with the topic as a hypothetical. Whatever you do in your league is fine. I don't really think every fantasy decision is made based on the opponent. But I know for a fact that it does come into play often enough that it isn't some crazy notion. 

Users who are viewing this thread