What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sipping Booze For Under $30/750ml or $20/375ml? (1 Viewer)

Rattle and Hum

Footballguy
Looking to try some new things outside of bourbon and vodka this year. No mixers please. Anything worthy?

If you like bourbon, I'll suggest Corner Creek (mentioned in FFA before) for $25/750ml in my state.  

Happy New Year.

The best bang for you buck bourbon in my opinion is Four Roses. I like the single barrel.

If you want to drink something straight other than bourbon or vodka, you're looking mainly at scotch, irish whisky, gin and tequila.

If you don't drink scotch, Dewar's would be a good place to start in your price point.   Jameson's or Bushmill's for irish whisky.   Beefeater for gin.   Herradura for tequila.

There are a lot of good sipping tequilas in that price range. Possibly just a couple bucks above your requirements but Milagro is one of my fav tequilas. The Anejo and Reposado both very good. I found them 15 years ago in California. Now they are in a lot of places but I still view it as an off brand or different from the Patrons of the world which I cannot stand personally.

What liquor do you want to sip? For rum I would either grab a small Pyrat XO...just wonderful for under 30 usually.

If you want to drink something straight other than bourbon or vodka, you're looking mainly at scotch, irish whisky, gin and tequila.

If you don't drink scotch, Dewar's would be a good place to start in your price point.   Jameson's or Bushmill's for irish whisky.   Beefeater for gin.   Herradura for tequila.
Bushmills is criminally underrated for Irish Whiskey, #### Jameson.

There are a lot of good sipping tequilas in that price range. Possibly just a couple bucks above your requirements but Milagro is one of my fav tequilas. The Anejo and Reposado both very good. I found them 15 years ago in California. Now they are in a lot of places but I still view it as an off brand or different from the Patrons of the world which I cannot stand personally.

What liquor do you want to sip? For rum I would either grab a small Pyrat XO...just wonderful for under 30 usually.
way too much money for the quality with milagro.  you're paying for a pretty bottle.  it's a fine tequila, but there are better for cheaper.

Opah is a relatively inexpensive herbal-bitter liqeuer in the style of an Italian amaro. It's kind of in between Jager and Fernet, but it's way, way, way better than Jager.

Cimmaron, Herencia, Herradura (which seems to vary wildly in price), Hornitos Black Barrel,  El Rey y Yo.  
I've had all the Hs, I might try Cimmaron.

I disagree with your taste buds. Milagro goes down like butter, my wife hates after burn or taste in any liquor or beer, she can drink a couple Milagros...MOP keeps a bottle in his liquor chest to pour her a shot during those special times of the month.

slight bias due to the fact Milagro does more than just satisfy a tequila need.

Last edited by a moderator:
How much like Fernet is it?  'Cause that shizz is disgusting beyond belief.
It's not as bitter as Fernet. It's roughly as complex, but with more ginger and licorice (and a bit less alcohol). If you don't like Fernet, though, you probably won't like Opah. They're in the same basic genre.

I've had all the Hs, I might try Cimmaron.

I disagree with your taste buds. Milagro goes down like butter, my wife hates after burn or taste in any liquor or beer, she can drink a couple Milagros...MOP keeps a bottle in his liquor chest to pour her a shot during those special times of the month.

slight bias due to the fact Milagro does more than just satisfy a tequila need.
yes, if you like tasteless tequila Milagro is good.   easy to drink or shoot, but not much going on there.

:dislike:

Ecxept for the Bushmill's

Last edited by a moderator:
Also a fan of Herradura Silver as house tequila.

My other house stuff:

Bourbon - Bulleit

Scotch - Johnnie Walker Black

Gin - Boodle's

Rum (which I almost never drink) - Captain Morgan

Vodka - Tito's

If it's got the word bourbon on it, it's almost certainly a good sipper. You can probably put any American straight whiskey in that category.

I've yet to find one that's not. Some aren't to my particular liking (like Jack Daniel's No. 7 and most 80-proofers), but they are pretty much all of "sipping quality". No matter how cheap they are.

I can't speak to all this other garbage people drink. Or Scotch. I can't afford to find out what's of sipping quality there. Though in my last foray into what most seem to consider decent Scotch (Macallan 15), I wasn't terribly impressed (bland and boring to me). But you like what you like and price doesn't determine what's a good sipper.

I kind of hate term sipper, really. If it's not good enough to sip neat, why the hell would I want to mix it with something tastes even worse (like soda).

Milagro is one of my fav tequilas. The Anejo and Reposado both very good. I found them 15 years ago in California. Now they are in a lot of places but I still view it as an off brand or different from the Patrons of the world which I cannot stand personally
Big fan of Milagro here, though prefer to drink Blancos.  

way too much money for the quality with milagro.  you're paying for a pretty bottle.  it's a fine tequila, but there are better for cheaper.
Around here, Milagro is a bargain. 750 at or under $20.  That said, when I am in MD or DC, it's like a $30-32 dollar bottle, not sure why such a big discrepancy.

Drunk New Years Day Drinking at Casa de Koya today!

Big fan of Milagro here, though prefer to drink Blancos.  

Around here, Milagro is a bargain. 750 at or under $20.  That said, when I am in MD or DC, it's like a $30-32 dollar bottle, not sure why such a big discrepancy.

Drunk New Years Day Drinking at Casa de Koya today!
They have a base silver which is solid but I don't drink it. I always like the anejo and respsado better. 

Agree with the others, Milagro fine for making margaritas but not much else

If you're looking for good value sipper my go to is Corralejo Reposado

With no aging, all tequilas come from the still as a clear blanco. However, as these agave distillates are barrel-matured to become reposados, añejos, or extra añejos, they take on ever-deepening hues that run the gamut from pale yellow to deep golden brown, depending upon the length of time they spend in oak and the types of barrels used. However, the just-released crystal-clear Herradura Ultra may give pause to those connoisseurs who claim they can tell whether a tequila is an añejo (which must be barrel-aged from 1 to 3 years) or an extra añejo (over 3 years old, and often much older) simply by its color, without having to taste it.

To create this surprising spirit, Herradura blends a 25-month-old añejo with its premium Selección Suprema extra añejo, which has been aged for up to 49 months in ex-bourbon barrels. However, after adding a subtle hint of pure agave nectar to this superpremium combination, the distillery strips out the color using a proprietary method of filtration. The result is a clear, 80-proof añejo with top notes of citrus and vanilla overlaying a complex tapestry of caramel, dried fruit, and almonds. Rather than trying to determine what classification Herradura Ultra falls under, aficionados should simply enjoy this crystalline, complex tequila, chilled and straight up.
I brought some home today, and it comes in a black box, so I was kind of pissed it was colorless.

The best bang for you buck bourbon in my opinion is Four Roses. I like the single barrel.
Agree that Four Roses is great bang for buck bourbon but I prefer the Small Batch. Also recently tried Russell Reserve 10 year that is pretty good for around $30.

Users who are viewing this thread