What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Derrius Guice, Free Agent (1 Viewer)

I do. But I cant be certain of course. I posted this in Cooks thread a while ago 

The hamstrings are the brakes for the quadriceps. so when the knee straightens the hamstrings slow down that moment so that your knee doesnt snap the wrong way. The ACL also does this. During an ACL rehab, the patient will become significantly weaker. I have no idea what his muscle capacity was prior to the season, so I am speculating, but a hamstring issue following an ACL tear isnt unusual and they are often linked.

For Guice, initially I was not worried. he had more time than Cook did to rehab. His infection slowed down his rehab process however, so I am a little concerned on where he will be come July/August. I have no doubts he will be playing, but I am a little worried about subsequent injury due to a delayed rehab. I believe I read somewhere he had 3 surgeries and was delayed a month or two. Still enough time for the ACL itself to heal, but that's further weakness to worknt though. I have zero concerns about ACL integrity/integration/strength, but I do have small concerns about any injury risk for something like a hamstring strain. All I've seen is fluff video clips of him running. Once we see him at game speed we will know. 

That all said, if I didnt have him, I'd be trying to buy. I think he has a great year. 
Thanks.

I wasnt sure if the recovery time rules out cascade injuries or not.

Based on what you are saying they can.

When can you consider a player fully recovered and no longer a risk then?

Machines like Peterson not included.

Thanks.

I wasnt sure if the recovery time rules out cascade injuries or not.

Based on what you are saying they can.

When can you consider a player fully recovered and no longer a risk then?

Machines like Peterson not included.
Great question. 12 to 18 months, IMO, a player should be fully recovered. A lot of factors go into where in this range a player falls. Rehab is a big one, and unfortunately we just arent privy to those details for any player. Cook and Guice are interesting cases because they had a reasonable amount of time to recover. You look at other victims of the ACL and you can see them coming back 8, 9 months after surgery and they are often a mess. rightfully so. they arent ready from a healing standpoint, much less rehab. If a guy is fully recovered why does he need to wear some big knee cage? 

My theory on Cook is that his body just wasnt ready for full speed. I think he had a muscle imbalance/ wasn't fully rehabbed. I think MIN knew this, which is why they seemed to be babying him with a split with Murray, hoping he could gain strength as the season progressed and avoid injury. I think we should consider that an isolated incident, but it's a reminder that we should give these types of injuries serious consideration when planning for the next season. 

I expect Cook to have a monster bounce back season

Dr. Dan said:
according to the fbg february chart 

Guice + JuJu = pretty close to Gurley

or

Guice + Chubb +Cohen = Gurley
The problem with value charts like this is that they do not adequately overvalue the best player in the trade. To get Gurley you’re going to have to pay about a 20% premium to his owner, otherwise why would he bother moving him?

The problem with value charts like this is that they do not adequately overvalue the best player in the trade. To get Gurley you’re going to have to pay about a 20% premium to his owner, otherwise why would he bother moving him?
They also never account for the roster spots not represented in the trade.  Dealing Gurley for 3 players whose "total value" is comparable requires cutting two more players. 

If you have a total rebuild with almost nothing worth owning outside of Gurley, then fine.  But most dynasty teams don't have wasteable roster spots, so taking the downgrade also requires cutting two more players you like.  Those guys' value should be added to the trade too, but I've yet to see a trade calculator that expressly adds "replacement value player" value to the side creating space...

Exactly...I would gladly pay all of the running backs 25-30 (combined those backs have more value than Gurley) for Gurley. Problem is it is a terrible offer for the Gurley owner. But look at the value chart they said!

Guice’s problem might be that he’s the only player worthy of defensive attention on Washington. 
I just keep coming back to - if ADP could put up 1000 yards there’s no reason Guice can’t. But I agree, the one thing tempering expectations is the offense as a whole otherwise I’d be super excited for next year. 

Guice’s problem might be that he’s the only player worthy of defensive attention on Washington. 
Yes, that is very possible. It'll be interesting to see what Washington does at QB this offseason, especially since they are paying Smith so much

We've seen RBs in the past be very good with little at the QB position, or offense in general. I think there will be tough times for Guice, but he should make up for it in the passing game for those in PPR leagues. I recall them raving about his pass catching last camp

Jordan Reed is still a solid TE, Alex Smith just didn't throw to him much for whatever reason. Once Smith went down, Reed looked great again for a couple weeks with McCoy. 

Personally, I'm terrified about Guice's knee injury more than anything else, it sounded way worse then a typical knee injury, and the list of guys who missed their rookie year due to injury is pretty rough. Willis McGahee is pretty much the only guy who really had a solid career in recent history. 

Jordan Reed is still a solid TE, Alex Smith just didn't throw to him much for whatever reason. Once Smith went down, Reed looked great again for a couple weeks with McCoy. 

Personally, I'm terrified about Guice's knee injury more than anything else, it sounded way worse then a typical knee injury, and the list of guys who missed their rookie year due to injury is pretty rough. Willis McGahee is pretty much the only guy who really had a solid career in recent history. 
I'm curious why you seem to view a season ending injury worse in a players rookie season than any of the following:

In college?

Year 2?

Any year? 

I'm curious why you seem to view a season ending injury worse in a players rookie season than any of the following:

In college?

Year 2?

Any year? 
Maybe its the most crucial year for learning NFL speeds? Maybe it creates unrealistic expectations in that people think the player will bounce back instantly to what they were thought of as being coming out of college? I don't really know why its worse, its just supported by history as worse.

Its also possible, that some of the guys who got hurt as rookies, were gonna bust anyway, and the injury just bought them time, before it was discovered. I mean, if Ronald Jones had say, broken his ankle in training camp, would we think more of him now as a prospect than we do now?

Maybe its the most crucial year for learning NFL speeds? Maybe it creates unrealistic expectations in that people think the player will bounce back instantly to what they were thought of as being coming out of college? I don't really know why its worse, its just supported by history as worse.

Its also possible, that some of the guys who got hurt as rookies, were gonna bust anyway, and the injury just bought them time, before it was discovered. I mean, if Ronald Jones had say, broken his ankle in training camp, would we think more of him now as a prospect than we do now?
I dont think the game instantly slows after year one. For years there was a 3rd year WR rule. That's just one example.

I'd be much more worried about Leonard Fournette and his bad ankle, or Sony Michel and his "bone on bone" knee... a condition that doesnt happen often in men twice his age... than Guice who tore his ACL, had it fixed, and is rehabbing on schedule. 

I dont think the game instantly slows after year one. For years there was a 3rd year WR rule. That's just one example.

I'd be much more worried about Leonard Fournette and his bad ankle, or Sony Michel and his "bone on bone" knee... a condition that doesnt happen often in men twice his age... than Guice who tore his ACL, had it fixed, and is rehabbing on schedule. 
I was just throwing out a possibility, I don't have an answer as to why missing the rookie year is a killer, but it almost universally is.  

I'm super worried about Fournette, and his ankle is maybe the 3rd biggest reason. He's got attitude, and production issues. 

I wouldn't hesitate to take Michel over Guice. That was close to 50-50 to me before Guice got hurt, and Michel proved himself on the NFL stage.

FWIW i read some research about NCAA football players who have serious injuries such as ACL in college. This was in context of Marshawn Lattimores injury at the time.

The full recovery rate for players at this age is much higher than it is for players past say 26 years old.

There was still a percentage of players who never fully recovered from their injuries, but the younger the player, the better their chances that they will.

I also did some research about RB careers and on average the rookie season is the lowest scoring season of a RB first six seasons. So I don't think missing the rookie year is a big deal.

FWIW i read some research about NCAA football players who have serious injuries such as ACL in college. This was in context of Marshawn Lattimores injury at the time.

The full recovery rate for players at this age is much higher than it is for players past say 26 years old.

There was still a percentage of players who never fully recovered from their injuries, but the younger the player, the better their chances that they will.

I also did some research about RB careers and on average the rookie season is the lowest scoring season of a RB first six seasons. So I don't think missing the rookie year is a big deal.
I think we are taking about different things. I agree that mostly its better to get hurt in college, or when you are under 26. Just not your rookie year for whatever reason.

As to the bolded, I agree that guys don't peak as rookies, but that isn't the point I was ever making.

In theory, I don't disagree with your logic, I don't have an opinion on this, I'm just stating historical precedent, that if Guice ends up having a solid career, he'll join Willis McGahee as basically the only guy to do so after missing his entire rookie season due to injury. Maybe its cherry picking a little, or small sample size(not like there are 20 rookies going on IR before week 1 every year) but history is not on Guice's side is all I'm saying.

I think we are taking about different things. I agree that mostly its better to get hurt in college, or when you are under 26. Just not your rookie year for whatever reason.

As to the bolded, I agree that guys don't peak as rookies, but that isn't the point I was ever making.

In theory, I don't disagree with your logic, I don't have an opinion on this, I'm just stating historical precedent, that if Guice ends up having a solid career, he'll join Willis McGahee as basically the only guy to do so after missing his entire rookie season due to injury. Maybe its cherry picking a little, or small sample size(not like there are 20 rookies going on IR before week 1 every year) but history is not on Guice's side is all I'm saying.
Yes while there are plenty of RB who do not do well in their rookie season most of them did not miss the entire season like Guice and McGahee.

Garrison Hearst was injured for the most part his first two seasons, but he did have a few carries as a rookie, didn't miss the whole year.

small sample size(not like there are 20 rookies going on IR before week 1 every year)
I think you've hit on why this doesn't matter. How many highly touted RBs have suffered season ending injuries before week 1? And if we narrow it down to non-contact injuries, Guice is probably in a sample size of one. The difference between Guice and Dalvin Cook is just a matter of weeks.

i

history is not on Guice's side is all I'm saying.
huh? how can you conclude this? just because mcgahee was the only other one? 

If you're going to say the above, you need to say how many rookie RBs drafted in the first 2 rounds missed their rookie year due to injury and did NOT come back well. 

As far as I can tell, history IS on Guices side

I don’t think we can really look at past incidents to extrapolate how Guice is gonna fair. Everyone is different - different body composition, different training intensity, different “supplements” used, etc. Only time will tell how he will fare but I think how he looks when he is back to full speed will be a good indicator of what we can expect. I am keeping him from last year and hoping for big things but also tempering my expectations, but not because of his injury. 

I don’t think we can really look at past incidents to extrapolate how Guice is gonna fair. Everyone is different - different body composition, different training intensity, different “supplements” used, etc. Only time will tell how he will fare but I think how he looks when he is back to full speed will be a good indicator of what we can expect. I am keeping him from last year and hoping for big things but also tempering my expectations, but not because of his injury. 
You can add the medical advancements made year in & year out plus the additional "physical therapy" developments to improve a players full recovery potential. 

The ACL surgery has changed significantly over the  past 5 years....so using any older data is not a justifiable comparison. 

You can add the medical advancements made year in & year out plus the additional "physical therapy" developments to improve a players full recovery potential. 

The ACL surgery has changed significantly over the  past 5 years....so using any older data is not a justifiable comparison. 
Yes, this is the best post thus far

Last edited by a moderator:
 than Guice who tore his ACL, had it fixed, and is rehabbing on schedule. 
Can we really say that he's rehabbing on schedule, though?  He had three additional surgeries which pushed the schedule back.  I think it's fair to say that he's on schedule to be available in Training Camp, but he's definitely not on his initial recovery schedule.

Can we really say that he's rehabbing on schedule, though?  He had three additional surgeries which pushed the schedule back.  I think it's fair to say that he's on schedule to be available in Training Camp, but he's definitely not on his initial recovery schedule.
I will feel better when I see him make some lateral cutting movements

In speaking with ESPN's Matthew Berry, Redskins coach Jay Gruden said Derrius Guice "doesn't have to come off the field on third down."

Gruden continued, stating the team discovered the No. 59 overall pick was a "really good pass-catcher" in practice and OTAs last year and "will use him in that role" this season. The 21-year-old remains questionable for camp with "no specific timeline" for his return, but Gruden expressed optimism his lead back would be ready for 2019 following preseason ACL surgery (and three additional mid-rehab knee surgeries) last year. With Adrian Peterson headed to free agency, Washington quietly has the most unaccounted for carries (340, 82.1%) from last season's production, most of which could fall into the former LSU product's lap if his knee is right by August.

SOURCE: ESPN

Mar 5, 2019, 8:00 AM

That's insane, absolutely stealing. 
I dont think it is....the format dictates low risk approach and the overall numbers are to be taken with a grain of salt as its a tight end premium......the guy tore his acl and had infection issues and more surgeries....that does t bode well for the kid...

I sure hope Peter King has bad info because this concerns me whether they get Bell or not, if they are even interested it's an issue. Below is article from his weekly column.

• Le’Veon to the Jets? New York, with $116 million in cap room and the motivation to spend with a GM who has to win this year, is the favorite to sign Bell. I can’t see Bell to the Colts except at a discount, and Bell will be motivated to make up what he lost last year (which he’ll never do). Smart football people think the Jets are the leaders in the Bell derby, with Washington and Miami possible too.

I sure hope Peter King has bad info because this concerns me whether they get Bell or not, if they are even interested it's an issue. Below is article from his weekly column.

• Le’Veon to the Jets? New York, with $116 million in cap room and the motivation to spend with a GM who has to win this year, is the favorite to sign Bell. I can’t see Bell to the Colts except at a discount, and Bell will be motivated to make up what he lost last year (which he’ll never do). Smart football people think the Jets are the leaders in the Bell derby, with Washington and Miami possible too.
Seems like nonsense.  Miami?  Aren't they planning to go full tank mode?

Seems like nonsense.  Miami?  Aren't they planning to go full tank mode?
Agree it's hard to see either splurging in FA on a RB. I'm more worried if Washington was interested in signing a RB and getting a cheaper one then Bell and what that mean with respect to where they think Guice is on his recovery but I'm starting to think Peter  King is just not that plugged in right now.

Washington is not signing Peterson at this time which I think is a positive sign for how they feel about Guices recovery.
Peterson proved last season that he still has something in the tank, I'm not sure the Redskins are willing or able to pay what he will garner on the open market, especially considering they are perpetually in salary cap hell.

Agree it's hard to see either splurging in FA on a RB. I'm more worried if Washington was interested in signing a RB and getting a cheaper one then Bell and what that mean with respect to where they think Guice is on his recovery but I'm starting to think Peter  King is just not that plugged in right now.
Washington is bottom 5 in terms of cap space and while teams are always figuring out ways to make more space, if there were moves to be made to free up more you would think they would have already made them with FA starting. Can't see them spending on any RB's.

They don't need to spend money on any RB. Guice is going to be a monster and a healthy Thompson is a great backfield. 

But if they are in cap hell, why did they pay that much for Landon? I guess so they can take S off their draft list. Now go get 2 WRs, a TE, line help, new coach, new GM, and new owner. CHAMPIONSHP!!! 

ffmail4me said:
They don't need to spend money on any RB. Guice is going to be a monster and a healthy Thompson is a great backfield. 

But if they are in cap hell, why did they pay that much for Landon? I guess so they can take S off their draft list. Now go get 2 WRs, a TE, line help, new coach, new GM, and new owner. CHAMPIONSHP!!! 
Team won't be any good until they stop relying on chronicly injured players to be healthy.  Every single season, same thing.

What does it say now about his recovery? I'm very disappointed they resigned Peterson.
I'm disappointed too but I am hoping it's an insurance depth move. they initially did not resign him, and its possible that AP wanted to start, saw the market wasnt there, so he came back to his best opportunity. it's very possible Guice out plays him and AP is a backup. I dont blame Washington for trying to get an insurance policy, which I admit is my hopeful interpretation of this signing

What does it say now about his recovery? I'm very disappointed they resigned Peterson.
Cheap depth/insurance.  Guice could very possibly require a long-ish ramp up period based on his recovery process and this just gives them another body to put out there if they need to.    $4M is Theo Riddick/James White money, it's less than Gio Bernard and Duke Johnson money.  It's just the cost of having a veteran RB on your roster.

The short term (redraft, keeper) view is that the Peterson signing is a concern. Maybe it indicates Guice needs more time for this season. The long term (dynasty) view is that the Peterson signing means Guice is likely to be fine even it it takes a bit of time to get up to speed in 2019. I am always far more concerned when a team adds a young player as competition. The best example here is Coleman signing with SF. That's a much bigger red flag for McKinnon/Breida than AP is for Guice/Thompson.

Cheap depth/insurance.  Guice could very possibly require a long-ish ramp up period based on his recovery process and this just gives them another body to put out there if they need to.    $4M is Theo Riddick/James White money, it's less than Gio Bernard and Duke Johnson money.  It's just the cost of having a veteran RB on your roster.
Is it really $8M/2yr? This is showing much less: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/adrian-peterson-4753/

Some on Twitter asked Guice how the AP signing helps him and he replied:

"He can help me with fundamentals before the snap on how he reads the defense, his blocking, how he breaks down film, how he studies film, when he workout what does he consistently do, his meal plan, and the recovery from ACL" 

Then he tweeted out his PS4 name to challenge people to NBA2K 😂. I love this dude. 

Users who are viewing this thread