What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Free Agent RB Class is STACKED (1 Viewer)

Jacobs is younger than Monty and better by a good margin.
I don’t know that the Raiders agree that he’s better. I’m also not sure the Raiders will want to invest the $ he’s likely to command, assuming he stays healthy through season’s end.
If they can't see that they're in the wrong profession. Seriously. Whether they pay him or not remains to be seen but he's been one of the more valuable players on their team this year.

I don’t know that the Raiders agree that he’s better. I’m also not sure the Raiders will want to invest the $ he’s likely to command, assuming he stays healthy through season’s end.
If they can't see that they're in the wrong profession. Seriously. Whether they pay him or not remains to be seen but he's been one of the more valuable players on their team this year.
I agree, but their HC is one of the most notorious when it comes to undervaluing the position. And sadly for LV, he’s not going anywhere.

With McD as HC, I have low confidence that the Raiders will pay Jacobs $12M

I follow your logic re: JMcD and the Patriot Way, but he has broken that mold this season with Jacobs. No RBBC at all this season, since about week 3. JMcD himself, has stated multiple times that he doesn't rest Jacobs b/c he's realized that the dude can handle the load. Doesn't mean he'll re-sign him for $12MM per, but it at least indicates some measure of fluidity beyond his past with Hoodie & Co.

And Jacobs is EXTREMELY popular in the Raiders locker room. For a team trying to find itself, he's been a revelation this season. He's having not just a great season, but an all-time great season... It would be extremely unpopular inside and outside of Raiders HQ to let him walk this offseason.

NFL on CBS 🏈
@NFLonCBS

Most scrimmage yards this season

Josh Jacobs 1,634
Tyreek Hill 1,409
Derrick Henry 1,364
Justin Jefferson 1,301
Saquon Barkley 1,296
Josh Dubow
@JoshDubowAP
Josh Jacobs has 1,303 yards rushing, 10 TD runs and is averaging 5.38 yards/carry. Only others to hit those numbers thru 12 games:
Walter Payton 1977
OJ Simpson 1973
Jim Brown 1965
Jim Brown 1963
Jim Brown 1958
7:31 PM · Dec 4, 2022

I follow your logic re: JMcD and the Patriot Way, but he has broken that mold this season with Jacobs. No
Not sure you’re interpreting that correctly.

Before the season some suggested buying on Jacobs because in a contract year with no interest in retaining him, the Raiders might run Jacobs into the ground.

Lo and behold, not only are they giving him a super heavy workload, they’ve now run him out 2 weeks straight while he’s nursing an ankle / calf injury.

One could read these same tea leaves and say they’re making a definitive statement that they don’t give a single fancy F about whether or not Jacobs stays healthy because next year is someone else’s problem.

It is certainly possible they believe Jacobs is a core part of the team and worthy of a 12 or $14 million franchise tag, but I am skeptical.

Last edited:
I agree, but their HC is one of the most notorious when it comes to undervaluing the position. And sadly for LV, he’s not going anywhere.
Fair point.

Guess might add it's possible it was more Belichek making that call in NE.

Before the season some suggested buying on Jacobs because in a contract year with no interest in retaining him, the Raiders might run Jacobs into the ground.

I was one of those people (perhaps the only one, if I recall correctly). That was before Jacobs leveled up to HOF-level play this season. Not suggesting he's going to make the HOF. But his season so far in 2022 has been on the level of HOF RBs. You don't let a player like that walk at age 24. RB or not. Had Josh displayed this level of ability in prior seasons, I'd never have suggested the above. This season hasn't just been Jacobs staying healthy (which he hasn't, really). This season has been about Jacobs taking his ability and career up at least two notches. Raiders would be fools to let that get away. They might prove to be, especially if he falls off to end this season. But as each week goes by with him continuing to play at All-Pro level, the odds of that decrease substantially. Josh has been the best player on the Raiders this season, hands down. That's saying a ton considering they have also been suiting up Davante Adams and Maxx Crosby every week. Hell, at this point, I'd go as far as to say he's a legit MVP candidate. If we were voting today, the only player I'd place above him would be Jalen Hurts. Maybe Patty Mahomie as well, but that's it.

Tag and trade is always an option for guys like Barkley and Jacobs as well. We saw CMC moved, gotta figure Barkley would generate just as much interest if not more in trade.
Missed this post. I could totally see both Raiders & Giants doing this.

I would be careful with this thinking...McDaniel was not too involved in personnel in New England...one of the first moves made with Vegas was the big trade and contract for Adams which is not something you'd expect to see with the Pats.

I assume most of those guys' outlook will look much worse in September. Counting on a back as your starter who is entering this crowded field of FA's (not to mention several nice, cheap rookie RBs) is a scary proposition.

I would be shocked if we don't see some good backs sitting at home in August, waiting for an injury.

I would be careful with this thinking...McDaniel was not too involved in personnel in New England...one of the first moves made with Vegas was the big trade and contract for Adams which is not something you'd expect to see with the Pats.
True, but they also drafted Zamir White, which many took as a clear sign they weren’t going to retain Jacobs.

It’ll be interesting to see what happens.

I assume most of those guys' outlook will look much worse in September. Counting on a back as your starter who is entering this crowded field of FA's (not to mention several nice, cheap rookie RBs) is a scary proposition.

I would be shocked if we don't see some good backs sitting at home in August, waiting for an injury.
Post of the day.

It’s a RB rich draft class. Maybe as many as 8 standouts, though a few are better suited to 3rd down or between the tackles (but not both). Bijan for sure, Gibbs, Evans, Tucker, Tank, Archane, Charbonet - there are more guys to be had later, too. It’s a realLu, really better than average RB class

Terrible time to be a FA RB.

Which again, may hurt the chances of Pollard, Barkley or Jacobs remaining with their current teams - or it may not. Who knows. :shrug:

Which again, may hurt the chances of Pollard, Barkley or Jacobs remaining with their current teams - or it may not. Who knows.
I will be super interested to see where Pollard goes.

It's the Kareem Hunt/Miles Sanders/Montgomery owners that are holding their breath. I'm not sure what I would give after the season, but before the draft for any of these guys, but it will not be much.

Further:

There's gonna be a bunch of talented RBs available mid late round of drafts, with questionable paths to touches. Making the right call on these guys could make your 2023 season.

True, but they also drafted Zamir White, which many took as a clear sign they weren’t going to retain Jacobs.

It’ll be interesting to see what happens.
White got some hype preseason esp. in fantasy but the reality is he was drafted 122nd at the end of the 4th round. Not much draft capital and most of the time those guys don't pan out. Plus he has like 3 carries this year if he was any good you'd think they would want to spell Jacobs once in a while.

White got some hype preseason esp. in fantasy but the reality is he was drafted 122nd at the end of the 4th round. Not much draft capital and most of the time those guys don't pan out. Plus he has like 3 carries this year if he was any good you'd think they would want to spell Jacobs once in a while.
Orrrrrr

Maybe they’re running Jacobs into the ground because he’s not part of their 2023 plans.

Meanwhile, White can’t get hurt if he’s not getting similarly used & abused.

Both theories make sense.

Orrrrrr

Maybe they’re running Jacobs into the ground because he’s not part of their 2023 plans.

Or C...

Jacobs is in the midst of a HOF-level season and Zamir isn't anywhere near that level as a rookie.

Orrrrrr

Or C...

Jacobs is in the midst of a HOF-level season and Zamir isn't anywhere near that level as a rookie.
Or D…

All of the above.
;)

Orrrrrr

Perhaps. They could run Jacobs into the ground and still give White some carries here and there. I would think they would want to give him some carries to see if he's any good.

Orrrrrr

Perhaps. They could run Jacobs into the ground and still give White some carries here and there. I would think they would want to give him some carries to see if he's any good.

Every game since Jacobs broke out has been close and the Raiders have needed every ounce of Jacobs' efforts to win the games they did. Hopefully, they get out to a comfortable lead tonight and they are able to rest JJ at some point (after he scores a couple TDs).

Orrrrrr

Still some games left - I would expect if they lose a couple more, we'll get a better idea of what they think of Jacobs long-term. e.g. if they're eliminated from the AFC Wildcard, one would reasonably expect them to limit Jacobs workload to preserve him for 2023.

If they're eliminated and Jacobs is still touching the ball 20-30 times a game, that would seem telling for their lack of future interest in him.

Orrrrrr

Every game since Jacobs broke out has been close and the Raiders have needed every ounce of Jacobs' efforts to win the games they did. Hopefully, they get out to a comfortable lead tonight and they are able to rest JJ at some point (after he scores a couple TDs).
I would make a joke about this being a trap game, but it's Baker Mayfield. No one would believe that.

Further:

There's gonna be a bunch of talented RBs available mid late round of drafts, with questionable paths to touches. Making the right call on these guys could make your 2023 season.

locked and loaded at qb, wr and te in dyno, with lots of open roster spots.

looks like 5 rounds of rb, drafting late, 12 team. if i can hit, its looking like a long ride on top.

any insight to be had this early?

have a solid wr2 to package for a trade up.

Last edited:

Orrrrrr

I don't think any other team has as one sided of a distribution. I get he's not as good as Jacobs but still makes sense to give some carries even if he's only decent.

Last edited:

Orrrrrr

I don't think any other team has as one sided of a distribution. I get he's not as good as Jacobs but still makes sense to give some carries even if he's only decent.
I agree with this.

Guessing Jacobs, Barkley and Pollard will break the bank, if they aren't franchised. Who else?

Field Yates
@FieldYates
The 2023 free agent RB class is absolutely stacked, including:
- Josh Jacobs
- Saquon Barkley
- Miles Sanders
- Tony Pollard
- David Montgomery
- Kareem Hunt
- Jamaal Williams
- Damien Harris
- Jeff Wilson, Jr.
- Devin Singletary
- Raheem Mostert
- Rashaad Penny
6:09 AM · Nov 28, 2022
I mean, there's talent there, but outside of Pollard, Barkley, Jacobs, are any of the others really worthy of even a roster spot? Monty? cmon now. Hunt yes, but Penny? he's always ALWAYS hurt. this is the biggest list of what-ifs and maybes I've ever seen. none are worth the risk

All parents and kids at the youth level ... "I want my kid to play RB or QB". Yet 5/11 offensive players on the field are OL (+1 TE) , and ~6/11 on defense are DL/LB. Better off telling your kid to eat 5000 calories a day and lift weights 3 hours a day. Half the players on the field at any time are at least 6'2"+ and 250+ lbs. RBs = a dime a dozen if they have the right big uglies in front of them.

All parents and kids at the youth level ... "I want my kid to play RB or QB". Yet 5/11 offensive players on the field are OL (+1 TE) , and ~6/11 on defense are DL/LB. Better off telling your kid to eat 5000 calories a day and lift weights 3 hours a day. Half the players on the field at any time are at least 6'2"+ and 250+ lbs. RBs = a dime a dozen if they have the right big uglies in front of them.
If I am telling my kid to do something to try to grow up to be a professional athlete (which is a pipe dream to begin with), the first thing I would tell him is to play anything other than football. High risk, low reward, short careers, lots of injuries.

I think we're going to see a dearth of great running backs going forward. There has to be an economic reward for the abuse that they take at the collegiate and pro level and right now they're just not in demand at all.

A dime a dozen was the exact phrase I've thought of before. They're like 6'1" or 6'2" point guards in the NBA.

the first thing I would tell him is to play anything other than football.

Lots of parents already are. I think after the next twenty years or so we'll see sort of a crisis in football where there aren't enough good players to satisfy the demand for them. They can't possibly be flourishing at the youth level like they once were. Either that, or they'll all be from low-income areas if they aren't already that.

Lots of parents already are. I think after the next twenty years or so we'll see sort of a crisis in football where there aren't enough good players to satisfy the demand for them. They can't possibly be flourishing at the youth level like they once were. Either that, or they'll all be from low-income areas if they aren't already that.
Hard to tell where youth sports are headed. For example, where I live, when my 29 year old played baseball, the Little League program had 16 teams. By the time my 21 year old played, they only had 4. Now they don’t have enough kids and have to combine kids from a neighboring town to even field a single team between the two towns.

When they played football, we had 70 kids split between 2 teams. Now they get 20-25 kids total in the same age group. The most popular sport here by far is soccer (rec, travel, club, school). But where can kids go in soccer? Hockey is also popular, but not exactly a big money draw there either.

The most popular sport here by far is soccer (rec, travel, club, school). But where can kids go in soccer? Hockey is also popular, but not exactly a big money draw there either.

U.S. Soccer and U.S. Hockey have both gotten better with the influx of kids playing. And soccer was always a huge sport in the suburbs. I'm thinking that football won't be big in the wealthy suburbs ever again. It'll be an inner-city sport for impoverished youth. Baseball is dead to youngsters, though out here in California the youth still gravitate to it. At least according to my nephew and his friends.

my HS alma mater could always field a football team. They have recently been having trouble fielding a full football team. They even dropped JV so they could get enough players on varsity.

Now they don’t have enough kids and have to combine kids from a neighboring town to even field a single team between the two towns.
I think this is more of a function of travel ball taking way too many kids away from rec ball. There are a ton of youth baseball teams masquerading as travel ball teams and it is diluting everything.

For example, where I live, when my 29 year old played baseball, the Little League program had 16 teams. By the time my 21 year old played, they only had 4. Now they don’t have enough kids and have to combine kids from a neighboring town to even field a single team between the two towns.
I think you're seeing this trend in just about every town in the United States. But that's a story for a different forum.

If I am telling my kid to do something to try to grow up to be a professional athlete (which is a pipe dream to begin with), the first thing I would tell him is to play anything other than football. High risk, low reward, short careers, lots of injuries.
I'm not so sure about that. I was reading something online where the high school football concussion rate was 10% in football and 20% in girls soccer. Football is the easiest path because there is no travel football. Also football college coaches scout you where in soccer most kids pay college coaches to pretend to scout them. In most sports you are attempting to go pro without college. In football some will give you a $250,000 education while you attempt to go pro.

Users who are viewing this thread