What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Derrius Guice, Free Agent (2 Viewers)

Pretty surprised that he only tallied 5 games in the NFL in 2019.   42-245, 2 TD.   caught 7 of 9 targets for 79 yds and a TD.

2018 was all about training camp hype, and then the ACL injury in the first preseason game.

2019 there was some hope of him being a sleeper more than 12 months removed from the ACL.   Torn meniscus in the other knee week 1 of the regular season.   Missed 9 weeks before coming in and accumulating most of the above stats.  Only to end the season with a grade 2 mcl sprain in the same knee as the ACL.

...and then you have 2020.

Yes, he's a total long shot.   Even if he has a handle on the domestic stuff, there were maturity concerns on the field.   I believe one of his Washington coaches called him a knucklehead (perhaps somewhat affectionately, but still).   The opportunity cost is the 16th-25th best rookie RBs that's a 50/50 at best to ever ascend to a #3 spot in an NFL backfield.   

I think the best dynasty owners are weighing decisions just like this at the end of their rosters, but yes, they're also most likely cutting whoever they go with loose for free agent du jour in week 2, if not earlier.  If he signs somewhere, he's on my end-of-draft radar.

If he signs somewhere, he's on my end-of-draft radar.
bingo. 

I'm not recommending anyone do anything with their teams this year. I'm just sayin what I might do with mines, and sharing a link to some potentially interesting news about a once very high FF prospect. 

wait - he was a highly thought of prospect. he may have also been very high. I dunno - i wasn't there. 

Last edited by a moderator:
bingo. 

I'm not recommending anyone do anything with their teams this year. I'm just sayin what I might do with mines, and sharing a link to some potentially interesting news about a once very high FF prospect. 

wait - he was a highly thought of prospect. he may have also been very high. I dunno - i wasn't there. 
Just picked him up in 2 leagues for free.  Doesn’t hurt to see what happens.  I just signed him for a nutty bar.

If he signed with a team he'd be in fairly decent demand in rookie drafts, could see needing to pay something as high as a late second depending where he went. That's for real,  he's actually still not that old-has not even turned 25 yet, I don't have any concerns over the knee and he flashed for sure plus this whole thing would probably make him cherish football and work his butt off in a way he might never have done before.

I don't think he'll be signed by a team however. He's worth adding for cheap if you hold him just in case and see but despite beating this recent charge he still has such a black cloud hanging over him from his LSU days that he's banished for life and stricken from the record books like he never existed. I think he's talented but you got to be real special for a team to mess with a RB with that kind of potential PR blowback and I don't think he's shown that, he plays the wrong position for second chances. For his sake I'd like to see it, just don't think we will.

If he signed with a team he'd be in fairly decent demand in rookie drafts, could see needing to pay something as high as a late second depending where he went. That's for real,  he's actually still not that old-has not even turned 25 yet, I don't have any concerns over the knee and he flashed for sure plus this whole thing would probably make him cherish football and work his butt off in a way he might never have done before.

I don't think he'll be signed by a team however. He's worth adding for cheap if you hold him just in case and see but despite beating this recent charge he still has such a black cloud hanging over him from his LSU days that he's banished for life and stricken from the record books like he never existed. I think he's talented but you got to be real special for a team to mess with a RB with that kind of potential PR blowback and I don't think he's shown that, he plays the wrong position for second chances. For his sake I'd like to see it, just don't think we will.
Guice hasn’t done anything in the NFL and has character issues. Hard pass. I’d sell for any rookie pick. 

We have deep IDP rosters, so I figured I would pick him up, mainly just to make the guys in the league Whatsapp chat laugh at me.

Lo and behold, the commish picked up Guice a few weeks ago. He's been a Guice guy forever. He took Guice 1.2 rookie draft one pick before I took Chubb. He then made fun of me for taking Antonio Gibson in the 2nd round a few years later, as he was going to be Guice's backup. 

So instead I went into the chat, and posted pics of Chubb and Gibson. 

Seems like a terrible person and like someone who faces an uphill climb at getting a second chance. Don't really want poison on my team. Plenty of running backs with juice this class and next. 
Not certain how you can make the terrible person claim. There are a few guys in the NFL that have made bad decisions.  In fact, there are a few guys not in the NFL that made bad decisions. And he was, what, 21 when he had the legal issues.

That aside, it looks to be a low risk move if he were to sign as a FA for some team.

I need to look more into his off-field issues. Sounds bad. 
I wasn't definitively passing judgment by the way. I ought to clarify: I wouldn't want him on my fantasy team for two reasons.  

First, he seems, from what I've heard and how the narrative goes, to have a terrible past. I almost always put together teams of guys I can cheer for for one reason or another. (Remember, I personally play no-stakes games in serious leagues for fun, so your mileage might vary on the cheer/not cheer scheme of things. If you're playing for thousands of dollars, listening to my advice about this matter with respect to roster construction can go right the heck out the window.)

Secondly, (and this has nothing to do with cheering) he might be a waste of a roster spot because given the allegations, it sure sounds bad enough to where teams will not want that PR hit, especially at a position as easily replaceable at running back. It might not be tactically sound to add him for fantasy football as rosters are limited. 

I figured I should clarify for those that might have different reasons to acquire him. That happens to be just my own personal position. I think the allegations and subsequent steps taken to remedy situations he's been in are awful and I also think he's a roster clogger at this point. 

I might be wildly wrong. In fact, I have a more than dull ache feeling that I'm wrong about the NFL and who it will sign. 

LSU wiped this guy out of the record books, though in fairness, they were fearing a Title IX suit from the purported victims. 

It's just not a good story all around. 

And his coach did literally call him a "knucklehead" in an interview about his rehabilitation regimen. That was not a good look. All things considered, and considering in our leagues you can't add right now or it's an auction, I see no reason to open that can of worms just because his agents held a workout for him. 

But this was certainly newsworthy and worthy of a bump. I'm just passing. 

Not certain how you can make the terrible person claim. There are a few guys in the NFL that have made bad decisions.  In fact, there are a few guys not in the NFL that made bad decisions. And he was, what, 21 when he had the legal issues.

That aside, it looks to be a low risk move if he were to sign as a FA for some team.
He's been accused of sexual assault by more than one woman at LSU and was arrested for domestic violence. Unless the allegations are untrue, he's either a terrible person or has a terrible past, depending on how you view life. My old law school professor corrected me in class once and said "there are no such things as terrible people, rock. Just people doing terrible things." That's a real outlook on life thing. He's certainly been accused of terrible things by a whole bunch of women, and it falls under the assault/rape category rather than unwanted advances category. 

We like to say that RB is an "easily replaceable" position but often when you replace easily replaceable guys, you end up with easily replaceable guys you are always looking to replace. 🤔

All that to say, I think this guy would need to be much, much better than "replaceable" to get a realistic shot.

3 counts of assault vs his girlfriend 

1 count of strangulation, that was dropped by the police tho 

Multiple cases of sexual assault at LSU 

1 allegation of taking a nude pic of a girl without permission, and showing teammates 

1 allegation of sexually harassing a 74-year old Superdome employee 

https://www.lsureveille.com/sports/column-why-hasnt-the-nfl-investigated-all-accusations-against-derrius-guice/article_07d4c278-005f-11ec-ad55-238983615c86.html
Ok, yeah - that’s all bad.

and wait, what?! A 74 year old? 

Yikes. I shall not be adding to my team with a 5th round pick. 

For reference, Cecil "the Deisel" Collins was reported to be a star on the prison touch team. In his college years, he was charged with sexual battery. His limited college tape was super impressive.

Jimmy Johnson took a flyer and drafted him in the 5th round. After 8 unimpressive games, he broke into a woman's apartment just to "watch her." He was arrested and spent 12 years in prison where he found God and marriage.

This characterization is what I remember of Cecil and may apply to Guice:

>>You want to know the truth about Cecil Collins?" says John Nagle, an assistant coach at McNeese. "He's a 22-year-old man
with a 15-year-old brain. When he's on the football field, he works his butt off. But off the field he's as immature as they
come."

Cecil will need help making the transition to the NFL," says LSU running backs coach Mike Haywood. "Whatever team takes him is going to need a doctor or a counselor or a psychiatrist to work with him, or it's going to need to surround him with strong players. Otherwise--and you can count on this--Cecil is going to have problems."<<

https://vault.si.com/vault/1999/04/05/heavy-freight-cecil-collins-comes-with-lots-of-baggage-and-little-college-experience-but-enough-talent-to-be-one-of-the-first-running-backs-taken-in-the-nfl-draft

Users who are viewing this thread