What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Derrius Guice, Free Agent (2 Viewers)

I thought Guice was underrated this offseason and bought a lot of shares, but man this is rough.  He now has 3 pretty major leg injuries and 2 trips to the IR alongside only 10 career carries.

There aren't many (any?) examples where I can think of guys who had two trips to the IR this quickly and came back to be strong fantasy assets.
I'm in the same boat. It's not looking good going forward. He needs to get healthy and show something the last quarter of the season to have any hope. 

I would if you can get anything resembling mid-late 1st value at this point. He's a strong hold unless the deal is too good. 
I'd take a late 1st for him. I doubt I'd get a mid, even if he comes back strong to finish the season. You can bet once the seasons over everyone who has a 1st will receive and offer lol

I thought Guice was underrated this offseason and bought a lot of shares, but man this is rough.  He now has 3 pretty major leg injuries and 2 trips to the IR alongside only 10 career carries.

There aren't many (any?) examples where I can think of guys who had two trips to the IR this quickly and came back to be strong fantasy assets.
Yep.  Sucks.  I don’t think I’d get anything of value dealing him now so I guess I’ll hold.  No way anyone is giving me any first round pick for him in my league. 

Redskins coach Bill Callahan said Derrius Guice (knee) could return to practice next week.

Callahan added that nothing's definitive at this time. Guice is still on injured reserve with eligibility to return, so the earliest he could even get on the field is two weeks from the time he's activated (which he hasn't been yet). Washington will continue to utilize Adrian Peterson on early downs and Chris Thompson in the passing game until Guice returns.

SOURCE: JP Finlay on Twitter

Oct 16, 2019, 3:34 PM ET

Last edited by a moderator:
Picked him up in my main league.  RB is so damn thin this year I am looking for anything.  With new regime in town and this news from today, he may be a really good option down the stretch:

https://www.si.com/nfl/redskins/news/derrius-guice-eyeing-return-redskins-practice/

If he is back healthy for week 11, this is schedule:

11 - Jets

12 - Lions

13 - Panthers

14 - packers

15 - philly

16 - Giants
Yup now is the time to stash. Just about any back likely to see double digit carries has value.

It's going to be tough to squeeze him onto the roster this week, I'll have more room in two weeks, but, not sure he'll last that long. People are starting to wake up on this.
Once that alert hits about him returning to practice that window will start to close quickly.

Yup now is the time to stash. Just about any back likely to see double digit carries has value.
Assuming AP and Thompson are healthy, don't you think Guice would be eased back in?

Not saying if Guice plays up to potential he wouldn't command double digit carries. Just that might take a few weeks after he returns to realize. By then the Skins might also be so far out of competition that the team may not want to risk running him hard until next year.

Assuming AP and Thompson are healthy, don't you think Guice would be eased back in?

Not saying if Guice plays up to potential he wouldn't command double digit carries. Just that might take a few weeks after he returns to realize. By then the Skins might also be so far out of competition that the team may not want to risk running him hard until next year.
I think they need to evaluate if he is the dude for next year more so than they need to save him for it. He barely played in the preseason yet still got lead back touches the first game. He’ll have a couple weeks to practice before he’s eligible to play. Shouldn’t take a few weeks to ramp up to lead back carries if they want to use him like that.

He barely played in the preseason yet still got lead back touches the first game. He’ll have a couple weeks to practice before he’s eligible to play. Shouldn’t take a few weeks to ramp up to lead back carries if they want to use him like that.
That was Gruden, though, and Gruden basically didn't want AP around this year, even going so far as to call him not a fit for the offense he was running. The situation in WAS, whether for worse or better, has certainly changed since the firing. 

That was Gruden, though, and Gruden basically didn't want AP around this year, even going so far as to call him not a fit for the offense he was running. The situation in WAS, whether for worse or better, has certainly changed since the firing. 
There is no reason to not use Guice.  They have to see if he can stand up to the league, injury and performance wise.  AP will not be on the next good Redskins team if there is ever one with this owner and FO.

There is no reason to not use Guice.  They have to see if he can stand up to the league, injury and performance wise.  AP will not be on the next good Redskins team if there is ever one with this owner and FO.
Yeah, I wasn't arguing about what they should do. I was sort of saying what they did under Gruden and how it might, just might, differ from what they do going forward. If he's their guy, they're going to want to make sure he's totally healed.

That would mean he doesn't get fifteen-twenty carries the game he returns.

But I'm not pinning myself to a position; I was merely pointing out that Gruden really didn't want AP around his offense at the beginning of the year. 

Yeah, I wasn't arguing about what they should do. I was sort of saying what they did under Gruden and how it might, just might, differ from what they do going forward. If he's their guy, they're going to want to make sure he's totally healed.

That would mean he doesn't get fifteen-twenty carries the game he returns.

But I'm not pinning myself to a position; I was merely pointing out that Gruden really didn't want AP around his offense at the beginning of the year. 
Honestly not sure if Gruden was wrong.  AP is butt old.  Great but old. This FO fools themselves that they are playoff contention.  A sane organization would rebuild....  I am not sure if anyone can trust the medical situation right now so only Guice should know if he is ready...

Thats fair and I appreciate the point. I didn’t think of that although I agree with the following conversation about Guice still likely to get lead back work from the new coach.

Fair point, although the same could be said in the future for the new Washington coach who didn't draft Guice. It's not like they have a ton of capital tied up in Guice if the new coach wants his own guy.

Fair point, although the same could be said in the future for the new Washington coach who didn't draft Guice. It's not like they have a ton of capital tied up in Guice if the new coach wants his own guy.
Sure. I wouldn't argue against that at all. Actually, my sort of implied position in this thread has been to not make it a predictive one. I'm just saying what Gruden did with AP and how that affected Guice's workload after barely stepping on the field. Personally, I'm holding Guice in an IR spot in a fun league and want to see him back soon and getting a full workload. I'm just not sure that's the case. If I were to have to get predictive, I'd bet against it. 

Its a lost season.  If they keep starting ADP after Guice is back they are crazy.  Need to see what they've got going into 2020.  

I'd expect a medium workload week 11, followed by feature back action weeks 12-17.  

I hope people aren't misunderstanding my position to be that AP gets feature back work even when Guice gets back. I see an RBBC with Smallwood, AP, Guice, and Thompson on third down. I'm not sure -- though I hope -- that there will be any feature back on the squad.

That said, I am not a WAS homer, so take whatever I say with a grain of salt. 

Callahan needs to prove he should be brought back next year before he can start worrying about next year.

All this talk about not playing him and waiting for next year... 

1- this is a business. Washington needs a reason for fans to buy tickets. They need to sell merchandise. They need to give fans hope for next year. Selling a myth that Guice and Haskins might be worth coming to see isnt going to work

2- Guice needs to prove he can play. Washington needs to figure oit if they need to be in the market in a loaded rb class. Guice could very well be like Rodney Anderson and just get injury after injury- who knows. He could fizzle. I'm somewhat optimistic for short term success, but I dont expect a super long career like Frank Gore, Tomlinson, Faulk, etc. If Washington goes all in on Guice being their guy, and then he isnt in 2020, they wasted an entire year again. They need to find out now

3- They need to figure out the coaching staff. You can't give a guy some of his players and judge his probability for future success fairly. 

4- Sitting a healthy player is more detrimental to his long term health than playing him and risking injury. "If you dont use it, you lose it." Sure if he isnt healthy until week 14 then maybe shut him down but if he can come back in 2 weeks then you play him 1/3 of the season and see what he can do. 

This all makes sense to me as a rational person, but the Redskins are the most mismanaged team in the NFL, so expect the complete irrational is maybe the better approach... 

rockaction said:
Callahan was the assistant head coach there right? Why is assumed he didn’t feel the same was as Gruden? Seriously asking. 

Callahan was the assistant head coach there right? Why is assumed he didn’t feel the same was as Gruden? Seriously asking. 
Good question. I...uh...dunno. I wasn't assuming anything, really. I was literally just saying that he "might, just might" feel differently than Gruden did. I don't really know what Callahan thinks about Peterson and Guice when having to choose between the two, but Peterson's volume has completely jumped with Callahan at the reins. That much we do know.

Remember me?
hope it was worth it for two weeks from murray. 

FTR I believe I've always agreed that Murray had lotto ticket potential if Kamara ever got hurt, but i wouldnt trade Guice for him. I have Mureay in one league and the last 2 weeks were good, sure, but if I was offered Guice for him I'd snap accept 

And even though Rodgers is playing awesome, Watson is out scoring him by about 4 fp/g. I'm not really sure why you bumped this quote actually. Almost proves my point exactly...  Rodgers and Murray for Watson probably isnt accepted in the vast majority of dynasty leagues by Watson owners. 

I guess if you were looking to lake a run in 2019 it might pay off short term, but long term this is still a losing deal. To be clear, I'm not saying Guice is a hold, rather he has more value than what you got. I'm trying to sell where I own him. 

Best of luck to you the rest of this season

hope it was worth it for two weeks from murray. 

FTR I believe I've always agreed that Murray had lotto ticket potential if Kamara ever got hurt, but i wouldnt trade Guice for him. I have Mureay in one league and the last 2 weeks were good, sure, but if I was offered Guice for him I'd snap accept 

And even though Rodgers is playing awesome, Watson is out scoring him by about 4 fp/g. I'm not really sure why you bumped this quote actually. Almost proves my point exactly...  Rodgers and Murray for Watson probably isnt accepted in the vast majority of dynasty leagues by Watson owners. 

I guess if you were looking to lake a run in 2019 it might pay off short term, but long term this is still a losing deal. To be clear, I'm not saying Guice is a hold, rather he has more value than what you got. I'm trying to sell where I own him. 

Best of luck to you the rest of this season
Except this is redraft.  And Rogers and Murray have vastly outscored Watson and Guice.  Good job by me.

So back on topic is this the week Guice is expected back? 
No, next week. November 8 would be the 8 week point required by IR. However, the team has a bye in week 10 (Nov. 10) so technically week 11 would be his first chance to play. We can probably expect enough info over the course of the next 2 weeks of practice to be sure about week 11.

Rotoworld:

Coach Bill Callahan said RB Derrius Guice (knee) is on track to suit up in Week 11.

Guice posted 10-18-0 rushing and 3-20-0 receiving lines in Week 1 prior to being placed on the injured reserve list. The Redskins' 2018 second-round pick has battled knee injuries since entering the league, but appears to be healthy enough to return for the season's stretch run. Adrian Peterson was a healthy scratch with Guice active in Week 1, although that was with Jay Gruden as head coach. Guice will be a thin fantasy play once active as a likely committee back in one of the league's very worst offenses.

SOURCE: JP Finlay on Twitter.

Oct 28, 2019, 3:12 PM ET

I see Dr. Dan weighed in. Anyone else with medical experience or other pertinent experience care to weigh in on Guice's odds to finish the next season?

After stashing him all this time, with his return near, I am getting cold feet. I am thinking of selling him (dynasty) before he has a chance to prove or disprove his worth.  Appreciate any other analysis of what we know of his injuries to this point and the perceived likelihood of permanent loss of ability or recurrence of season-ending injury.

I see Dr. Dan weighed in. Anyone else with medical experience or other pertinent experience care to weigh in on Guice's odds to finish the next season?

After stashing him all this time, with his return near, I am getting cold feet. I am thinking of selling him (dynasty) before he has a chance to prove or disprove his worth.  Appreciate any other analysis of what we know of his injuries to this point and the perceived likelihood of permanent loss of ability or recurrence of season-ending injury.
My best advice- move him in the offseason. His value is nothing. If he shows some life at the end of this year that is surely to carry over into hype for next year, and then you can sell prior to the draft. That's my plan at least.

My best advice- move him in the offseason. His value is nothing. If he shows some life at the end of this year that is surely to carry over into hype for next year, and then you can sell prior to the draft. That's my plan at least.
This kid is 22. He still has a decent sized window for success IMO

This kid is 22. He still has a decent sized window for success IMO
I agree, he may still find success. I am pessimistic that it will be sustainable though given his injury history. I'm always concerned about longevity.

One could have said the same after Gurley tore his ACL in 2014, yet here we are 5 years later talking about the arthritis in his knee and how bad of shape he's in

5 years is a long time, and Gurley was the best at his position for the majority of those 5 years. I could see Guice having a 3-4 year window of success. You can bet I'll be trying to trade him every step of the way 

Having a hard time seeing the value this year for this guy in redraft.

First, you have to hold through the bye until week 11. Then, who knows if he splits with AP. Plus, the whole team in general could be a complete dumpster fire if Haskins takes over.

Will be a hard guy to trust.

Stranger lightnings in a bottle have been found, but having a hard time seeing it with other options available and only limited roster spots.

Thanks for the feedback.  And the Gurley reminder is most helpful.  I agree he doesn't have a ton of value right now. But with him be activated for week 10, there surely is an uptick of interest.  I just got a low ball offer tossed my way today.  I was intent on holding, but I am thinking I will see if I can get 60 to 70 cents on the dollar for him.  If so, I will take it.  On a different  (dynasty) team with more going for it, I'd definitely hold.  I just can't afford nothing for him (ie, he never regains form) on this particular team.

Users who are viewing this thread