Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
gussy

The Trump Years- Every day something more shocking than the last!

7 minutes ago, [scooter] said:

Do you have a link to this quote from Jesus?

We take quotes pretty seriously around here.

Wow

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Biff84 said:

Fake news? What’s your opinion on someone who frequently claims to have read the Mueller Report yet claims that it says ‘no collusion, no obstruction’? I bet you would scold that poster that did it repeatedly for spreading fake news.

I'd hope we'd all be against fake news. 

If you see it, please report it. 

Fake quotes are an easy one to stop. 

2 minutes ago, mcintyre1 said:

Lol, come on Joe. You're being a bit ridiculous.

Probably guilty. I'm just so sick of the misinformation I see everywhere. I don't want to be any party to it.

Fake quotes is something I'd rather not see here. 

And I realize I likely should just throw in the towel and give up. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Joe Summer said:

But fake bible quotes are OK? I'm confused now.

I'd prefer not to have fake quotes of any kind. 

4 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

Probably guilty. I'm just so sick of the misinformation I see everywhere. I don't want to be any party to it.

Fake quotes is something I'd rather not see here. 

And I realize I likely should just throw in the towel and give up. 

I get the idea behind what you're saying, but I feel like you're adopting a weirdly strict and inappropriate rule towards it. It reminds me of something like a school expelling a kid for bringing a sharp knife to eat his lunch with. If there's zero room for nuance in discussion, it hurts the overall discourse, IMO.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

“You can’t believe everything you read on the internet”

- Abraham Lincoln

• Like 2
  • Laughing 5

3 minutes ago, joffer said:

- Abraham Lincoln

Watch it buddy, they take quotes very serious here.....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, joffer said:

- Abraham Lincoln

:lmao:

Hey, I've complained about the quoting thing in the past so I'm not exactly enamored with that policy but I get the idea Joe is going for.  I think if scooter has done this instead he would have been fine:

"Being a Christian leader means abandoning your Muslim allies." - scooter, from the Internet

I mean, I didn't take the quote seriously but it can be a slippery slope.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, mcintyre1 said:

I get the idea behind what you're saying, but I feel like you're adopting a weirdly strict and inappropriate rule towards it. It reminds me of something like a school expelling a kid for bringing a sharp knife to eat his lunch with. If there's zero room for nuance in discussion, it hurts the overall discourse, IMO.

Honestly, I think it takes away from the humor more than the discourse but with the way people are on edge it may be better to sacrifice humor/sarcasm to have better and more civil discourse.  And ultimately, I think all of us would rather have that then Joe just get rid of it all together.  And this is coming from someone who has gotten timeouts (even recently) for jokes - and not just because they were lame!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, msommer said:

Watch it buddy, they take quotes very serious here.....

I"m an easy target I know.

But I do want us to be serious and accurate with quotes. 

I think that means:

1. Attribute quotes to who said them.

2. Have the quote be exactly what they said.

I get it we're not journalists here and this isn't a news organization. And I know many will think it's lame or ridiculous. And I fully admit I'm more sensitive to this given the time we're in.

But being accurate with quotes seems like an easy way to help. Thanks.  

• Like 1

Not to be a suckup, but on some level I think its kind of admirable what Joe is doing. Real fake news (not the stuff Trump complains about) is a very serious problem and a threat to our democracy. And nowhere is it more prevalent than on the internet. And Joe - with his website - is trying to take a stand against it. That's more than a lot of websites/social media platforms are doing. 

Is he going too far? Maybe. But probably better to be too vigilant in the fight against real fake news than too lax.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, whoknew said:

Not to be a suckup, but on some level I think its kind of admirable what Joe is doing. Real fake news (not the stuff Trump complains about) is a very serious problem and a threat to our democracy. And nowhere is it more prevalent than on the internet. And Joe - with his website - is trying to take a stand against it. That's more than a lot of websites/social media platforms are doing. 

Is he going too far? Maybe. But probably better to be too vigilant in the fight against real fake news than too lax.

What about posters parroting proven lies?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

1 minute ago, Bucky86 said:

Good point. Those should be cracked down upon also. Maybe he would if those posts are reported?

5 minutes ago, whoknew said:

Good point. Those should be cracked down upon also. Maybe he would if those posts are reported?

Possibly. I'm not a fan of giving either side more reasons to report posts. This "quote" thing is just going to add to the mods workload when I'm not aware of anyone actually complaining? Unless they were already being reported by people which would be really silly.

17 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

I"m an easy target I know.

But I do want us to be serious and accurate with quotes. 

I think that means:

1. Attribute quotes to who said them.

2. Have the quote be exactly what they said.

I get it we're not journalists here and this isn't a news organization. And I know many will think it's lame or ridiculous. And I fully admit I'm more sensitive to this given the time we're in.

But being accurate with quotes seems like an easy way to help. Thanks.  

So parody is a no-go now?

9 minutes ago, whoknew said:

No, in another thread Maurile indicated that FBGs won't do anything to fight disinformation.  I'm sympathetic, it may be just too big a task for the few moderators at FBGs to take on.  But that leaves a greater responsibility for posters to try to call it out and particularly to distinguish between things that are actually scandalous and things that are just designed to appear scandalous.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

I guess just make it obvious is the right answer. 

And understand we're in Bill Simmon's "Mike Tyson Zone" now where virtually anything that's said or done is believable. 

I think it's a small price to pay to drop or clearly identify the parody stuff. 

I'll post an Onion or Babylon Bee sometimes in Random Shots. And I worry about that too. Some are obvious with the "Doctors determine the only safe place to tackle a player is in a 4 inch spot on the thigh". Some are not as obvious (unfortunately) with "Chinese anthem to be played before NBA games". 

I'm sorry to the buzzkill again but I'd rather us attempt to be accurate than attempt to be funny. 

23 minutes ago, whoknew said:

Thank you. That's exactly what we're trying to do. 

Maybe it's because I write and work with writers for a living and maybe I'm too old school trying to hang onto "real" :unsure: journalism ideas, but properly quoting people just seems like a good idea to me. Especially in these times. 

8 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

probably okay with the <parody>  </parody>

20 minutes ago, Bucky86 said:

Not good but not as bad as the internet police that can’t understand different interpretations either.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

No, in another thread Maurile indicated that FBGs won't do anything to fight disinformation.  I'm sympathetic, it may be just too big a task for the few moderators at FBGs to take on.  But that leaves a greater responsibility for posters to try to call it out and particularly to distinguish between things that are actually scandalous and things that are just designed to appear scandalous.

Thanks @fatguyinalittlecoat  Maurile is a huge part of helping keep the board on track. But I don't think I'd say FBG "won't do anything to fight disinformation" though. As you say, it's a giant task. And some things are way tougher to do than others.

"Hunter Biden did nothing wrong" might be a fact or it might be a lie. That's a pretty big job and time sink to dive into.

Asking people to properly attribute a quote or asking people to provide a link that supports what they're saying is an easy thing to do. 

We definitely don't have the manpower to take on everything. But I think we can ask our people to do the easy things like proper quotes or links. 

4 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

Thanks @fatguyinalittlecoat  Maurile is a huge part of helping keep the board on track. But I don't think I'd say FBG "won't do anything to fight disinformation" though. As you say, it's a giant task. And some things are way tougher to do than others.

"Hunter Biden did nothing wrong" might be a fact or it might be a lie. That's a pretty big job and time sink to dive into.

Asking people to properly attribute a quote or asking people to provide a link that supports what they're saying is an easy thing to do. 

We definitely don't have the manpower to take on everything. But I think we can ask our people to do the easy things like proper quotes or links. 

OK, but I'd say the things you're describing aren't really fighting disinformation.  

I don't mean to hide the ball here.  I think, in hindsight, this forum and basically everywhere else on the internet gave way too much oxygen to Hillary Clinton's email and other stories that were blown way out of proportion such that a person who wasn't paying much attention could throw up his hands and say both sides are equally corrupt.  I feel like we need to learn our lessons from 2016.  So I worry about stuff like the (now locked) thread, started by a Trump supporter, that was created for the purpose of smearing Elizabeth Warren as a liar.  It was clearly an attempt to replicate the success of 2016 in muddying the waters such that Trump supporters can say both sides are liars, both sides are corrupt, etc.

I don't see an easy answer though.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Joe Bryant said:

I guess just make it obvious is the right answer. 

And understand we're in Bill Simmon's "Mike Tyson Zone" now where virtually anything that's said or done is believable. 

I think it's a small price to pay to drop or clearly identify the parody stuff. 

I'll post an Onion or Babylon Bee sometimes in Random Shots. And I worry about that too. Some are obvious with the "Doctors determine the only safe place to tackle a player is in a 4 inch spot on the thigh". Some are not as obvious (unfortunately) with "Chinese anthem to be played before NBA games". 

I'm sorry to the buzzkill again but I'd rather us attempt to be accurate than attempt to be funny. 

😪 what it has come to.

2 hours ago, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

OK, but I'd say the things you're describing aren't really fighting disinformation.  

I don't mean to hide the ball here.  I think, in hindsight, this forum and basically everywhere else on the internet gave way too much oxygen to Hillary Clinton's email and other stories that were blown way out of proportion such that a person who wasn't paying much attention could throw up his hands and say both sides are equally corrupt.  I feel like we need to learn our lessons from 2016.  So I worry about stuff like the (now locked) thread, started by a Trump supporter, that was created for the purpose of smearing Elizabeth Warren as a liar.  It was clearly an attempt to replicate the success of 2016 in muddying the waters such that Trump supporters can say both sides are liars, both sides are corrupt, etc.

I don't see an easy answer though.

Thanks. We'll disagree as I think properly attributing quotes does help fight disinformation. And it's super easy to do.

I'll agree with you that I don't see easy answers though for most of this. 

We'll just continue to try and do what we can do. I'm fully aware it may be arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. But in our little tiny sliver of the internet, I'd love us to be as good as we can be. I know folks here feel the same. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Joe Bryant said:

If you see it, please report it.

Seems like you're opening up the mods to a miserable existence here.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Gr00vus said:

Seems like you're opening up the mods to a miserable existence here.

Actually, I'd hope you guys will go along with what I'm asking and attribute quotes accurately. It's a pretty small group here. I think most everyone is hearing the message. 

Thanks for the help. 

3 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

Actually, I'd hope you guys will go along with what I'm asking and attribute quotes accurately. It's a pretty small group here. I think most everyone is hearing the message. 

Thanks for the help. 

What I'm saying is that what you wrote seems to open things up for reports of "fake news" beyond just made up quotes. You might want to clarify the scope of which fake news it is you want reported:

If you see it, please report it

Fake quotes are an easy one to stop. 

The definition of "it" in this case - any fake news, or just fake quotes?

5 minutes ago, Gr00vus said:

What I'm saying is that what you wrote seems to open things up for reports of "fake news" beyond just made up quotes. You might want to clarify the scope of which fake news it is you want reported:

The definition of "it" in this case - any fake news, or just fake quotes?

Fake quotes are the easiest and clear cut. Please don't do those. 

Fake news can be way more broad and way more difficult to determine what's fact and what's opinion. If you see something that's demonstrably wrong and inaccurate, please report that and also please include links to show clearly and definitively where it's wrong. 

Basically, I'm asking everyone to be more cool. 

Thanks for the help.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Joe Summer said:

But fake bible quotes are OK? I'm confused now.

Can we get a ruling from Quentin Tarantino on this one?

"And I will strike down upon thee with 'Have a great season's and furious timeouts, those who attempt to poison and destroy my rankings. And you will know my name is the Moderator when I lay my warning upon thee."

-Joe Summer

• Laughing 3

5 hours ago, whoknew said:

Not trying to dig up old dirt, but a high level Fbg promoted pizzagate. I think it’s unrealistic for us to expect what you’re asking. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Zow said:

Not trying to dig up old dirt, but a high level Fbg promoted pizzagate. I think it’s unrealistic for us to expect what you’re asking. 

I’m gonna need a ruling from @Mr. Pickles on whether Dodds is elite upper tier.

54 minutes ago, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

I’m gonna need a ruling from @Mr. Pickles on whether Dodds is elite upper tier.

Interesting strategy.  :coffee:

1 hour ago, Zow said:

That's was years ago and we've been over that multiple times. it's done.

I'm dealing in the current times and I don't think it's unrealistic at all to ask people to do what I'm asking.

Fake quotes are the easiest and clear cut. Please don't do those. 

Fake news can be way more broad and way more difficult to determine what's fact and what's opinion. If you see something that's demonstrably wrong and inaccurate, please report that and also please include links to show clearly and definitively where it's wrong. 

Basically, I'm asking everyone to be more cool. 

7 hours ago, Joe Bryant said:

Zuckerbergian 

2 hours ago, Joe Summer said:

"And I will strike down upon thee with 'Have a great season's and furious timeouts, those who attempt to poison and destroy my rankings. And you will know my name is the Moderator when I lay my warning upon thee."

-Joe Summer

Sig worthy, if only.

On 10/9/2019 at 4:21 PM, Sinn Fein said:

As a follow-up - after the accident that killed a bicyclist, the diplomat and his wife were supposed to remain in England - but they high-tailed it out of the country, and now, obviously refuse to return.

ETA - motorcyclist 

Harry Dunn was an outgoing 19-year-old, a skilled motorcyclist with a twin brother and four other siblings who happened to be driving through the valley just outside the Royal Air Force base in Croughton, England, on the evening of Aug. 27, when Anne Sacoolas crested the hill in her Volvo XC90 luxury SUV. 

Sacoolas, the 42-year-old wife of an American who worked at the important intelligence gathering facility, had only been in the U.K. for three weeks. She pulled out of the base on the wrong side of the road, apparently forgetting for a moment the rules of left-lane British driving.

Dunn had no time to react when Sacoolas came straight at him, the Dunn family spokesman told The Daily Beast. The impact sent him flying over the top of the heavy SUV, causing multiple injuries. He died a few hours later in a local hospital. 

At the scene of the accident, Sacoolas, whose 12-year-old son was reportedly a passenger in the Volvo, was hysterical over what she had done. The car had diplomatic plates, but witnesses who rushed to the crash site told Northamptonshire police that Sacoolas immediately took the blame and gave all her details, including her British and American cellphone numbers.

DMV records in Virginia, where Sacoolas previously was resident, show she had been cited for failing to pay attention while driving in 2006 but had paid the fine with no other penalty. Because Dunn was still alive when he was taken away by ambulance after the accident, Sacoolas was not arrested at the scene—nor was she checked for alcohol or drug use, according to a Northamptonshire Police spokesperson. 

When police went to the Croughton base the next day to tell Sacoolas that Dunn had died, she was understandably upset and assured them she had no plans to leave the country. When they came back a second time to get more information, she was lawyered up and assisted by officials from the U.S. Embassy to the U.K..

The police went back again Sept. 15 to place Sacoolas under formal questioning in a wrongful death inquiry but she, her husband, Jonathan, and their three children had left the country, claiming diplomatic immunity. The U.S. Embassy in London said they did so on the advice of the U.S. State Department. 

Trump just has no idea what a normal human emotion or relationship is. Everything is a reality show to him. What an ###.

You can almost imagine the reality-show excitement that surely went into the ill-considered plan to introduce Anne Sacoolas, the American diplomatic wife who killed 19-year-old motorcyclist Harry Dunn when she drove down the wrong side of an English lane in August, to Dunn’s grieving parents. Sacoolas left the U.K. in early September under diplomatic-immunity protections and has not been seen in public since.

The Dunn family, now in the United States to drum up support to send Sacoolas back to the U.K. to face justice, had accepted an “urgent” invitation by the White House from National Security Adviser Robert O’Brien, to visit Donald Trump in Washington, D.C. Trump, it seems, thought he could convince the Dunns to meet the woman who killed their son, and would do so by opening a side door through which she would walk. The whole scene would be captured by a pool of photographers who had been summoned for the meeting.

But the Dunns would have none of it and refused to meet her. Dunn family spokesman Radd Seiger said that the family felt “ambushed” when the “bombshell” was dropped that Sacoolas was next door.

They had envisioned meeting her one day, but as Seiger told The Daily Beast, “only on British soil” and “only with mediators, counselors, and their legal team in tow.”

In a statement on the Dunn’s Justice4Harry GoFundMe page, Seiger explained what happened. “The family had four surprises yesterday,” he wrote. “Firstly, being invited to the White House in the first place which came right out of the blue.”

In fact, Dunn’s father Tim had suggested on CBS News earlier in the day that he would like to meet the president “man to man, father to father” to plead with him to send Sacoolas back to face justice.

Seiger said the second surprise was that they had not expected to actually meet the president in person. But the third was the doozy.

“Thirdly that Mrs. Sacoolas was present in the building and fourthly that it was the president’s intention for Harry’s family to meet Mrs. Sacoolas in the Oval Office in front of several photographers in what was obviously designed to be a press call,” Seiger wrote in his statement.

The Dunn family blames National Security Adviser O’Brien for the misstep. “It struck us that this meeting was hastily arranged by nincompoops on the run and in particular Mr. O’Brien, who appeared to be extremely uptight and aggressive and did not come across at all well in this meeting which required careful handling and sensitivity,” Seiger wrote. “The family remain open to the possibility of meeting Mrs. Sacoolas one day in the future but in a neutral and appropriately controlled environment.”

In other words, not in a reality-TV setting.

The Dunn family did say they were impressed with Trump before he tried to spring Sacoolas on them. Dunn’s mother, Charlotte Charles, described Trump as “quite respondent” and that he tried to comfort her.

“When he [President Trump] held my hand, I gripped it a lot tighter and I was honest with him and just said, as I said a while ago, ‘If it was your son you would be doing the same as us,’” Charles told the British news media traveling with them. “He actually gripped my hand a little bit tighter and said ‘Yes I would be.’ And that’s when he said he would try and look at this from a different angle.”

1 hour ago, whoknew said:

Trump just has no idea what a normal human emotion or relationship is. Everything is a reality show to him. What an ###.

You can almost imagine the reality-show excitement that surely went into the ill-considered plan to introduce Anne Sacoolas, the American diplomatic wife who killed 19-year-old motorcyclist Harry Dunn when she drove down the wrong side of an English lane in August, to Dunn’s grieving parents. Sacoolas left the U.K. in early September under diplomatic-immunity protections and has not been seen in public since.

The Dunn family, now in the United States to drum up support to send Sacoolas back to the U.K. to face justice, had accepted an “urgent” invitation by the White House from National Security Adviser Robert O’Brien, to visit Donald Trump in Washington, D.C. Trump, it seems, thought he could convince the Dunns to meet the woman who killed their son, and would do so by opening a side door through which she would walk. The whole scene would be captured by a pool of photographers who had been summoned for the meeting.

But the Dunns would have none of it and refused to meet her. Dunn family spokesman Radd Seiger said that the family felt “ambushed” when the “bombshell” was dropped that Sacoolas was next door.

They had envisioned meeting her one day, but as Seiger told The Daily Beast, “only on British soil” and “only with mediators, counselors, and their legal team in tow.”

In a statement on the Dunn’s Justice4Harry GoFundMe page, Seiger explained what happened. “The family had four surprises yesterday,” he wrote. “Firstly, being invited to the White House in the first place which came right out of the blue.”

In fact, Dunn’s father Tim had suggested on CBS News earlier in the day that he would like to meet the president “man to man, father to father” to plead with him to send Sacoolas back to face justice.

Seiger said the second surprise was that they had not expected to actually meet the president in person. But the third was the doozy.

“Thirdly that Mrs. Sacoolas was present in the building and fourthly that it was the president’s intention for Harry’s family to meet Mrs. Sacoolas in the Oval Office in front of several photographers in what was obviously designed to be a press call,” Seiger wrote in his statement.

The Dunn family blames National Security Adviser O’Brien for the misstep. “It struck us that this meeting was hastily arranged by nincompoops on the run and in particular Mr. O’Brien, who appeared to be extremely uptight and aggressive and did not come across at all well in this meeting which required careful handling and sensitivity,” Seiger wrote. “The family remain open to the possibility of meeting Mrs. Sacoolas one day in the future but in a neutral and appropriately controlled environment.”

The Dunn family did say they were impressed with Trump before he tried to spring Sacoolas on them. Dunn’s mother, Charlotte Charles, described Trump as “quite respondent” and that he tried to comfort her.

“When he [President Trump] held my hand, I gripped it a lot tighter and I was honest with him and just said, as I said a while ago, ‘If it was your son you would be doing the same as us,’” Charles told the British news media traveling with them. “He actually gripped my hand a little bit tighter and said ‘Yes I would be.’ And that’s when he said he would try and look at this from a different angle.”

Bush League 

22 hours ago, whoknew said:

May not be perfect, but wish Joe Bryant ran Facebook instead of Mark Zuckerberg.

1 hour ago, whoknew said:

Cruel.

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Jackstraw said:

Bush League 

I don't think Dubya would sink that low

• Like 1

He’s especially unhinged this morning.

3 hours ago, whoknew said:

Just saw this.  WTAF.  https://www.thedailybeast.com/anne-sacoolas-grieving-parents-ambushed-by-trump-who-was-hiding-spy-wife-at-the-white-house