What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

4 Years of College or 1 Year of Full Day Pre Kindergarten (1 Viewer)

4 Years of College or 1 Year of Full Day Pre Kindergarten

• College

Votes: 56 61.5%
  • Kindergarten

Votes: 35 38.5%

• Total voters

The Ref

Footballguy
In your opinion what would a better use of public money and infrastructure?   A Full Day Pre Kindergarten program for 3-4 year olds or a 4 year college degree for 18-22 year olds (Public School).

The question is to be asked from all perspectives.  The Kid, The Parents, Society in general.

Last edited by a moderator:
 It would be lot cheaper to finance pre kindergarten and much more equitable since not everyone goes to or is even suited for college.

I vote kindergarten.  It would be much more beneficial to society to start people off with a solid foundation.  I lost braincells during my 4 year degree.

Money aside...

Everyone benefits from pre k. Only some benefit from college. There is more to it, but that's a big factor for me. I've noticed a significant difference in both of our kids once they started pre-k. It's been a good investment.

Money aside...

Everyone benefits from pre k. Only some benefit from college. There is more to it, but that's a big factor for me. I've noticed a significant difference in both of our kids once they started pre-k. It's been a good investment.
Why do only some benefit from college?

Why do only some benefit from college?
Not everyone chooses a career path that requires anything beyond a high school education. Could they get something out of the experience anyway? Probably. Will they though? Probably not. They'll just get drunk and skip class. NTTAWWT

Not everyone chooses a career path that requires anything beyond a high school education. Could they get something out of the experience anyway? Probably. Will they though? Probably not. They'll just get drunk and skip class. NTTAWWT
So either college or a trade school then? 

I think some of you are thinking about pre-k from a normal, functioning family's perspective. It's more important for those kids, and in return, society, who are in a more dysfunctional household. 

Seems like more of the money and resources should target adolescents.  The little ones are all pretty good little people, the high schoolers are mostly on their way to being what they'll be, good or bad.  IMO if you specifically guide and nurture kids between 8-12 when they are figuring things out, developing social circles, and making decisions on their own you might be able to get a better long-term behavioral response. 

There is if the public is paying for it. Lots of community colleges have vocational ed. where people can work towards in things like culinary arts, hvac, etc. There are also even post secondary vocational options for kids that couldn't be successful in a community college program. The kids can learn basic building maintenance, custodial arts, basic office work, basic food service, etc. 

I think some of you are thinking about pre-k from a normal, functioning family's perspective. It's more important for those kids, and in return, society, who are in a more dysfunctional household. 
how dysfunctional are we talking?   not sure there's too much hope for a lot of those kids that grow up in a household that's off the rails.   

It is definitely most impactful for kids that come from low SES (which is about 51% of the students in this country). 

So either college or a trade school then? 
Asking the government to keep it as simple as possible increases the chances of them not ####### it up. They probably will anyway, but a free year of pre k seems rather fool proof. No way they get post high school education right if their objective is to create a catch-all. If they're going to do it then they need to follow whatever model Rhode Island is looking into. It's simple. They can't #### it up. Right? Oh, who am I kidding...

Seems like more of the money and resources should target adolescents.  The little ones are all pretty good little people, the high schoolers are mostly on their way to being what they'll be, good or bad.  IMO if you specifically guide and nurture kids between 8-12 when they are figuring things out, developing social circles, and making decisions on their own you might be able to get a better long-term behavioral response. 
I don't think I agree. The earlier you invest, the more you get in return. Most kids that are behind academically in HS entered MS that way and entered elementary that way. They start behind from day 1 in school and the gap just grows and grows each year. They need help as soon as possible. Also, kids are pretty solid from 8-12. Those are great years. They mostly haven't hit puberty so they are still kids who want to impress their teacher and parents, aren't flooded with hormones and are mature enough to have some adult like conversations. 12-15 is where #### goes off the rails a bit. 

I don't think I agree. The earlier you invest, the more you get in return. Most kids that are behind academically in HS entered MS that way and entered elementary that way. They start behind from day 1 in school and the gap just grows and grows each year. They need help as soon as possible. Also, kids are pretty solid from 8-12. Those are great years. They mostly haven't hit puberty so they are still kids who want to impress their teacher and parents, aren't flooded with hormones and are mature enough to have some adult like conversations. 12-15 is where #### goes off the rails a bit. 
I'll take your word and experience.  My thought is that it goes off the rails between 12-15 because of the things they go through at 8-12, when they learn what the world is all about.  I don't have much more to add than that, just my opinion. 

how dysfunctional are we talking?   not sure there's too much hope for a lot of those kids that grow up in a household that's off the rails.   
I don't think the amount of dysfunction matters per se. You'll get the whole spectrum ever way, so you're trying to catch the ones that are catchable by giving them the best opportunity to succeed. 

I'll take your word and experience.  My thought is that it goes off the rails between 12-15 because of the things they go through at 8-12, when they learn what the world is all about.  I don't have much more to add than that, just my opinion. 
You aren't totally wrong. I just think we need to go even earlier. For example, most anti-drug education (DARE and that kind of thing) are put in place when kids are like 11-13. These programs don't work well and one of the reasons is that by the time kids are 11-13, their attitudes and perceptions of drugs are already well shaped. This was part of my research project in college. I proposed drug education would have more effect if it was implemented at a very young age and then with smaller reinforcement sessions in middle school and high school. 

I don't think the amount of dysfunction matters per se. You'll get the whole spectrum ever way, so you're trying to catch the ones that are catchable by giving them the best opportunity to succeed. 
There are definitely studies linking pre-K amongst disadvantaged kids with better life outcomes like lower incarceration rates. 

We sent my oldest to a 3s program and then a 4s program. Looking back, besides getting social time with other kids, it was a waste of time and money. I just told my wife last week that we are definitely not sending the youngest to the 3s, and almost certainly not to the 4s program. 

However, I do have a wife who was an elementary school teacher before she stayed home with the kids, so we don't "need" it. 

Some people are seriously under estimating the value of Pre-K/preschool. Even with that being the case I would still pick college. 

Pre-K and it is not even close, although full day Pre-K is not recommended.  Add up the day care cost you would otherwise be paying, add in the educational/socialization benefits we are seeing through early childhood development as it relates to K-12 outcomes , and take into account over half of society is likely not to take advantage of free college for a year knowing they would then have to pay for the remainder and it is an absolute no brainer.

Undergraduate was pretty much a waste of time and didn't put me in nearly as much debt as grad school.  I vote for pre-k

There are definitely studies linking pre-K amongst disadvantaged kids with better life outcomes like lower incarceration rates. 
That's true.

There are also definitely studies showing that any immediate gains due to pre-K in terms of educational outcomes decays to not being observable within a few years: Tennessee Study

And many other studies definitely offer inconclusive results or show a wide inconsistency in generalized outcomes: Article on Multiple Studies

Yeah this is important. Really, kids from a strong family with money are largely going to be fine (isn't the best predictor of a kid's performance in school their parents' income?). The goal, imo, as we dump money into educating the public is help to prevent kids that come from uneducated, unskilled idiots that are a drain on society from also turning into uneducated, unskilled idiots that are a drain on society. An incredibly difficult task, but if we are throwing money at something, we need to throw money at that.

And if it's college or trade school, trade school by a mile. The world doesn't need more psychology majors (signed, a psychology major).

Some people are seriously under estimating the value of Pre-K/preschool. Even with that being the case I would still pick college. 

Or maybe not.... 

Does pre-K work? The research on ten early childhood programs—and what it tells us

Key Points 

• Widely cited early childhood programs vary greatly in both design and results. The research on these programs shows neither that “pre-K works” nor that it doesn’t; rather, it shows that some early childhood programs yield particular outcomes, sometimes, for some children.
  • Both the relevance and rigor of early childhood research is considerably weaker than many realize. A stronger knowledge base is urgently needed around the core policy question: what are the most effective early interventions for improving disadvantaged children’s lives?
  • Our current knowledge is insufficient to justify a large expansion of pre-K as the best path forward. Instead, policymakers should focus on advancing rigorous research, high-quality child care, and voluntary home visiting programs.

How about one of the parent's stays home for the pre-K year with the child in exchange for 4 years of paid college.  I don't see how anyone with a lick of sense turns that deal down.

How about one of the parent's stays home for the pre-K year with the child in exchange for 4 years of paid college.  I don't see how anyone with a lick of sense turns that deal down.
I'm not sure what you're proposing.  That the government pay people a full salary to stay home with their kids?

I'm not sure what you're proposing.  That the government pay people a full salary to stay home with their kids?
I think what is being proposed that the government guarantee a 4 yr college education to the child of parents if one parent stays home. This is obviously unworkable since it excludes single parents and other situations where it is not economically feasible.

I think what is being proposed that the government guarantee a 4 yr college education to the child of parents if one parent stays home. This is obviously unworkable since it excludes single parents and other situations where it is not economically feasible.
Those would also be egregiously wasted tax dollars. But, I repeat myself.

Users who are viewing this thread