What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 New York football Giants (5 Viewers)

Mystery Achiever said:
McAdoo surfaces to speak to the Post.

Team made a lot of moves he wanted and thinks they win the division.
https://nypost.com/2018/07/12/ben-mcadoo-breaks-his-silence-on-a-giants-team-hes-loving/

Nice things to say about the pass catchers
https://nypost.com/2018/07/12/fired-giants-coach-thinks-odell-beckham-decision-is-easy/
McAdoo questions how much success Philly has had. Well, prior to last season, in the previous 17 seasons:

-11 winning seasons

-2 8-8 seasons

- 4 losing seasons (2 of which were 7-9)

So the Eagles may not win the division this year, but I doubt it will be because the organization does not know how to handle success.

I now have to worry about the Giants because McAdoo is no longer their head coach.

a little off topic  so I apologize but I figured I would get some great answers to my questions while its offseason 
im headed to new York for a the 1st time and its always been a bucket list to see the giants play at home
1. is it better to buy at stadium or website 
2. if website - which site is the best(want to avoid fake tickets)  and how soon should I buy (oct 11 game against eagles)
3. in the stadium are there any sections I should avoid (bad site lines)
4. im assuming there is tailgating, what time will it start

thanks 
if anyone wants to meet up for a beer let me know 

Jon Halapio has continued to work as the Giants' starting center at training camp this week.

Brett Jones continues to work with the second team, following the same lineup the Giants used this spring. Halapio drew some praise for his work at OTAs. A 2014 sixth-rounder of the Patriots, Halapio played his first-ever snaps last season. The rest of the Giants' line: LT Nate Solder, LG Will Hernandez, RG Patrick Omameh, and RT Ereck Flowers. It's a brand-new starting five.
I find it amazing that Brett Jones got beat out at C after his work last year, but it clicks with the Giants' new philosophy. Halapio is 6'3 and "315" (looks heavier) and Jones 6'2 and a pass-protection guy who's bad at run-blocking. Giants have switched from a mobile guard pulling line to more of a "hog molly" physical trench trench warfare type of line. It goes hand in hand with the new GM's plan of attack:

https://247sports.com/nfl/new-york-giants/Bolt/Giants-2018-NFL-Draft-signifies-a-major-change-in-philosophy-117823298/

Game Observations ...

• I would trade our QBs for the Browns QBs in a heartbeat ... Mayfield looks great !
  • Lauletta looks like our best QB, Eli looks like Eli 2017 (Don't think he wants to play anymore) and I see why they did not play Webb last year.
  • Our Def Front Seven look really really strong and deep against the run ...against the pass still TBD
  • Like the veterans/leaders that we've added ...Solder on the OL and Ogletree on Def (even though he got toasted by Njoku) plus Stewart,Barwin 
  • Lot of happy faces on the sideline they look like they are having fun and getting along 
  • RBs look great Saquon (Love his personality),Gallman, Stewart, and Martin from Rutgers looks great
  • Corners and Depth look like a big problem ... Eli Apple still sux and turns his back on the play regularly
  • Odell looks like the next Michael Jackson or Sammy Sosa ... was hoping he would straighten out once they got rid of his boyfriend Brad ,,, that hairdo has got to go

Good for the Giants last night. 

First and foremost no major injuries for the Giants. Second they improved from last week.

Davis Webb had a nice night (a little high on some passes). He led a 17 play, 9 minute drive for a TD

With the exception of the sack fumble he gave up (which was called back) Flowers wasn't terrible. 

Gallman looked good in all phases (running, catching and pass protection)

The run defense was rock solid again 

The pass rush looked good last night. Wynn and OV had sacks against the 1st team offense. Carter had a sack against the 1st team offense but it was called back because of the terrible helmet rule call against Herzlich. Kareem Martin had some good pressure too. The backups added a pair of sacks in the 2nd half as well.

Ogletee was abused by Theo Riddick in the slot for a big 40 yard gain early

Was glad see they got OBJ deal done before the season started. The story lines if they hadn't would have been boringly predictable. I think Shumur is doing good job with him. Now it will be up to OBJ to prove that this new found maturity isn't a facade. 

I am excited about the offensive, if the offensive line is merely average they should have a good year with the ball. It seems like years since the Giant OLine could get a push going, you could see a push in the preseason games. Forgot what it looked like. Defensively I am getting worried. They were struggling to get pressure even with Vernon. And Ogletree might be force in the run game, but he looks like a huge liability in the passing game. Hopefully this is all preseason smoke and regular season defense will be better vs the pass.

It's odd because Ogletree was supposed to help the pass coverage but he's been on the downtrend the last few years... Most of the draft picks have already contributed so that's a good sign *looks at Jerry Reese draft history*

It's odd because Ogletree was supposed to help the pass coverage but he's been on the downtrend the last few years... Most of the draft picks have already contributed so that's a good sign *looks at Jerry Reese draft history*
I am not trying to read too much into it until the regular season starts. I am also trying, not really succeeding, to ignore Stewart's efforts when he is running the ball. I am concerned that is going to prove to be a big miss once the games start mattering. Excuse me while I go whistle past this graveyard now.

I am not trying to read too much into it until the regular season starts. I am also trying, not really succeeding, to ignore Stewart's efforts when he is running the ball. I am concerned that is going to prove to be a big miss once the games start mattering. Excuse me while I go whistle past this graveyard now.
Oh yeah he's cooked... only reason I'm not flipping out is Gallman Jr was always the man I wanted to backup. Some of his non-analytical talk really scares me though... Gettleman has a lot of "he's a FOOTBALL player!" Gruden-talk in him. But the got the guy I wanted (Will Hernandez) and they actually addressed LB and support for the hybrid 3-4 the D is running.

Couple of potential NFL Cuts for the Giants to consider 

• Kony Ealy - 3-4 DE/OLB - Drafted by Gettleman in Carolina
  • Jonathan Cooper - If John Jerry is cut Cooper better fits the hog molly profile - Drafted and played 2 seaons in ARZ while Bettcher was there
  • TJ Clemmings - RT/LT drafted by the Vikings and started 14 games under Shurmur as the Offensive coordinator

Ok. Wow. I didn't see this coming. I am confused as to why they waived Webb. I like that they were active with the waiver moves. But I just don't get why they waived Webb and kept Tanney.  Some one is going to need to explain this to me. Small words would be better, because I am baffled.

Ok. Wow. I didn't see this coming. I am confused as to why they waived Webb. I like that they were active with the waiver moves. But I just don't get why they waived Webb and kept Tanney.  Some one is going to need to explain this to me. Small words would be better, because I am baffled.
I agree I don't agree with keeping Tanney over Webb. 

I guess they think that if Eli gets hurt Tanney can step in and play. I think it would be better to develop 2 young guys behind Eli but they don't  see it that way

Very odd... I get Webb is the previous organizations' guy and the drafted their own, but who backs up Eli? Certainly not Tanney and no way Kyle Lauletta is ready.

Apparently, in Shurmur's press conference yesterday, he told reporters that he strongly believes in having a veteran in the QB room. So, I guess it was always between Webb and Lauletta. Not Tanney.

Apparently, in Shurmur's press conference yesterday, he told reporters that he strongly believes in having a veteran in the QB room. So, I guess it was always between Webb and Lauletta. Not Tanney.
Eli isn't a veteran? maybe this got twisted in between the presser and here. I have to think there are other veterans out there that can out play a journeyman backup who has played in 1 game and thrown 14 passes in 7 years. The media has correctly pointed out that this move increases the importance of Eli. They were always going to be in trouble if he got hurt, now? I don't even want to consider what will happen if Tanney has to play any minutes. It seems like they have to now what they have in Tanney, after 7 years his upside must clearly be understood by now. I am not saying Webb is a sure HOF or anything, but at least he has a chance to have some upside. I can't see any for Tanney. If there was anything there, somebody, in this QB hungry league, would have kicked the tires already.

Well, I was hoping for "not inept". And for the most part that was achieved. Flowers is a still "a big play for the defense just waiting to happen" and can't wait for him to be off the roster. Can't happen soon enough. They had a chance to win in the end and that was about as much as I could reasonably dream about.

Still lots of work to do, but the improvements are noticeable. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I was hoping for "not inept". And for the most part that was achieved. Flowers is a still "a big play for the defense just waiting to happen" and can't wait for him to be off the roster. Can't happen soon enough. They had a chance to win in the end and that was about as much as I could reasonably dream about.

Still lots of work to do, but the improvements are noticeable.
Giants got rid of two guys on the line that are much better than Flowers. Dude was terrible tonight.

Agreed. I am concluding it was simply money that kept him around. But yeah, he was terrible. Reese is not done haunting the team yet. 

Absolutely disgusting display by the Giants @ Dallas  last night.

If the Giants lose next week @ Hou  ... I'm going to start routing for the #1 draft pick

Next 10 games, any of these look like we don't get an L except the Bye?  

@Houston

Saints

@Carolina

Eagles

@Atlanta

Washington

Bye

@San Fran

Tampa

@Philly

Bears

Next 10 games, any of these look like we don't get an L except the Bye?  

@Houston

Saints

@Carolina

Eagles

@Atlanta

Washington

Bye

@San Fran

Tampa

@Philly

Bears
Giants have a good chance at a win against Houston. Watson looks like a rookie QB, the offensive line is terrible at pass blocking, and their corners are suspect. Add in Bill O'Brains ineptitude, and I could easily see the Giants coming away with a win. The Texans have gotten 3 sacks in 2 games, and the Titans were starting 2 back-ups at both tackle positions yesterday. So I don't necessarily see the Texans exploiting the Giants biggest weakness.

"OLB Olivier Vernon (ankle) and CB Eli Apple (groin) are OUT for Sunday’s game in Houston. Two important defensive players for the Giants. Connor Barwin and Lorenzo Carter fill in for Vernon. BW Webb and Donte Deayon for Apple." - Jordan Raanan on twitter.

BW Webb on Fuller? uh-oh.

"OLB Olivier Vernon (ankle) and CB Eli Apple (groin) are OUT for Sunday’s game in Houston. Two important defensive players for the Giants. Connor Barwin and Lorenzo Carter fill in for Vernon. BW Webb and Donte Deayon for Apple." - Jordan Raanan on twitter.

BW Webb on Fuller? uh-oh.
I need to see if Webb is a rookie or something because he was overmatched facing Terrance Williams/Cole Beasley. Dude didn't look good at all, rather see Deayon out there.

From BigBlueInteractive.... two QBs from next years draft.

"At 12:00 PM on ESPN, Missouri plays #2 Georgia. Drew Lock of Missouri will face his toughest test thus far against Georgia's excellent defense, featuring CB Deandre Baker and S J.R. Reed. Today's game should really show us how good Lock is against an excellent defense. FYI, QB Jake Fromm of Georgia is another very good QB prospect, but he's not eligible until 2020.

At 8:00 PM on ABC, Oregon faces off against #7 Stanford. Justin Herbert, who is my top draft-eligible QB (as of today), will have his toughest test of the season by going against a really smart and sound Stanford defense, featuring LBs Joey Alfieri and Bobby Okereke, and DE Dylan Jackson."

From BigBlueInteractive.... two QBs from next years draft.

"At 12:00 PM on ESPN, Missouri plays #2 Georgia. Drew Lock of Missouri will face his toughest test thus far against Georgia's excellent defense, featuring CB Deandre Baker and S J.R. Reed. Today's game should really show us how good Lock is against an excellent defense. FYI, QB Jake Fromm of Georgia is another very good QB prospect, but he's not eligible until 2020.

At 8:00 PM on ABC, Oregon faces off against #7 Stanford. Justin Herbert, who is my top draft-eligible QB (as of today), will have his toughest test of the season by going against a really smart and sound Stanford defense, featuring LBs Joey Alfieri and Bobby Okereke, and DE Dylan Jackson."
Keep an eye on Finley at NC State

Flowers benched, Chad Wheeler to start at RT  today
About time. Wheeler played about as good as could have been expected vs Watts. Watts has embarrassed better tackles than Wheeler through out his career. I was happy to see the change. Yesterday had positive signs that if Eli can get time he can make the offense go. This whole idea that Eli needs some perfect pocket is foolish, just enough time to make a read or two.

And here's the other positive... Watt did get to Wheeler and Eli about 2-3 times in the 2nd half, but Eli was in rhythm by then and was getting his 3-4 seconds in the pocket. You just need a guy who's not an automatic give-up on the line, what is what Flowers is. Eli wasn't just on, he arguably had his best passing game efficiency-wise in the last 3-4 years. Now it sets up a shootout game in Jersey with the Saints, who lost two guys in the secondary and benched another. 

Last edited by a moderator:
And here's the other positive... Watt did get to Wheeler and Eli about 2-3 times in the 2nd half, but Eli was in rhythm by then and was getting his 3-4 seconds in the pocket. You just need a guy who's not an automatic give-up on the line, what is what Flowers is. Eli wasn't just on, he arguably had his best passing game efficiency-wise in the last 3-4 years. Now it sets up a shootout game in Jersey with the Saints, who lost two guys in the secondary and benched another. 
Eli to me has looked as good as he ever has so far this season. He has been unbelievably accurate putting the ball in spots that only the receivers can get to it. And he hasn't been sacrificing his receivers with high throws across the middle. Obviously Saquan has helped his completion % a ton ... Throws to the flat haven't been Eli's strong suit but in his defense it's the first time in 12 years that he's had a RB that could catch the ball.

I made the point in the Game thread that while the O-Line is better than it was the first 2 weeks, Halapio's injury is an sbsolute KILLER. You could see in the game the pressure started coming up the middle more instead of the RT position (where Flowers used to line up and where Wheeler is). A game where the Saints were vulnerable deep... Giants couldn't find success deep because of the O-Line not buying Eli enough time and Eli missing a few throws. It's a shame because for 2.5 quarters the D stood on its head to limit the Saints to 4 FGs.

High-risk play-calling doesn't appeal to Eli Manning

Thought I'd post this because that mindset is a stark contrast to the Manning of old. That Manning was a disciple of the Kevin Gilbride run-and-shoot option offense, who trusted his receivers unfailingly that if he threw it up where his receiver could make a play, he would. This Manning is comfortable throwing shorter passes (although he kinda has no choice at times) and taking fewer risks, and it's part of the reason he's only thrown 1 INT this year. People are making him out to be a dink-and-dunk turnover machine, but the 2nd part of that just isn't true in 2018.

Of course, that philosophy leads to counterpoints like this:

But what's wrong with just throwing it to Beckham down the field or in coverage? Risky? Sure. But why not trust a player who just might be the NFL's best receiver to go and make plays. Manning has a completion percentage of 74.2, and he's thrown just one interception in four games. That's swell, but who cares? The Giants are 1-3.

Throw it to Beckham in double- and triple-coverage. Heave it to him downfield. Sometimes it'll get picked off. Sometimes he won't catch it. But it's a good bet that most of the time he will.

And that's especially true in the red zone, where Manning attempted seven passes on Sunday, completing four. You know how many went towards Beckham? None. In the third quarter, when the Giants were trailing only 19-7 and had a first-and-10 at the New Orleans 14, Manning threw three passes. He didn't look Beckham's direction on any of them. On two, he ran a decoy route, barely jogging as he got off the line.

It's no wonder Beckham looked so frustrated. It's no wonder, after the game, he said "I hate to get out there and waste those 60 minutes."

And that's exactly what this is quickly becoming - a great, big waste. If Beckham isn't going to be the centerpiece of the Giants' offense, the guy they trust in the red zone, the guy they throw it to in key situations, then it's going to lead to a waste of a season, a waste of a truckload of money, and waste of one of the last years of Manning's career. He is one of the biggest playmakers in the league. He should be used that way.

Because it really is a waste if he's not.
It's a tough balance between ball control and feeding your best receiver with the time Eli is given. But the Giants absolutely have to find a way to get the ball to their two best offensive players... that means 17-20 carries for Saquon Barkley and more schemed deep shots for Odell Beckham Jr. For that to happen the line has to be more consistent in both phases of the game, run and pass blocking. 

I made the point in the Game thread that while the O-Line is better than it was the first 2 weeks, Halapio's injury is an sbsolute KILLER. You could see in the game the pressure started coming up the middle more instead of the RT position (where Flowers used to line up and where Wheeler is). A game where the Saints were vulnerable deep... Giants couldn't find success deep because of the O-Line not buying Eli enough time and Eli missing a few throws. It's a shame because for 2.5 quarters the D stood on its head to limit the Saints to 4 FGs.
Barkely with only 10 carries in a game that was one possession for a long time is criminal  

Yeah Shurmur admitted he messed up bad there. At least Giants may get back Vernon and Apple, plus Mauro is off suspension now.
I hope getting those guys back makes a difference (of course they don’t play offense and that’s been the biggest issue)

I’m driving over to see the game in person, so it would be nice to for them to get a win for a change.

I would rather watch it on TV but my daughter has never been to a NFL game and she just HAS to see Odell & Saquaon

I hope getting those guys back makes a difference (of course they don’t play offense and that’s been the biggest issue)

I’m driving over to see the game in person, so it would be nice to for them to get a win for a change.

I would rather watch it on TV but my daughter has never been to a NFL game and she just HAS to see Odell & Saquaon
Taking my 11 year old daughter to her first NFL game as well. Should be fun. Rooting for the Panthers though.

OBJr. was really pissed this week that the O that is trying to keep Eli Manning upright isn't taking more risks. FOr teh record, I think this is the week Shurmur goes full "Feed The Studs: and we see a lot of Barkley and Beckham.

"Giants will release OT Ereck Flowers if he is not traded by 4 p.m. Tuesday, per source." -Schefter
I wonder why he was released now. I don't think they have a swing tackle on the roster. 

I haven't seen anything about him being a problem in the locker room since he was benched 

Yenrub said:
I wonder why he was released now. I don't think they have a swing tackle on the roster. 

I haven't seen anything about him being a problem in the locker room since he was benched 
Longest tenured starting O-linemen with the team is...Chad Wheeler.    Think about that.     Thank you very much Jerry Reese.

Users who are viewing this thread