What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 New York football Giants (2 Viewers)

Its time to Suck For <Insert Name of Top LT in draft>

But yeah, it's a downer to be thinking of the draft so soon. This is a total dumpster fire.
You guys are giving up too early.  I know that mathematically they are not likely to get in, but the offense has shown life over the last two games and the defense just needs a wakeup call.  The O-line sucks, but I think the Giants' game plan was pretty good last two games and have high hopes that they turn it around.

Anyone else care for the Giants Kool-aid I'm drinking? 

Don't give up just yet guys.

You guys are giving up too early.  I know that mathematically they are not likely to get in, but the offense has shown life over the last two games and the defense just needs a wakeup call.  The O-line sucks, but I think the Giants' game plan was pretty good last two games and have high hopes that they turn it around.

Anyone else care for the Giants Kool-aid I'm drinking? 

Don't give up just yet guys.
Kind of

Seems like they can’t get both units to play decent in the same game

1st 2 games the defense was decent but the offense didn’t show up

The last 2 games the offense showed up but the defense didn’t

They need to get a win this week at home

I'm not really this negative, but I'll play the debbie downer for a bit.

The offense really hasn't shown up. It's just that it has sucked so bad for so long,  that the last two weeks seem like its heaven. Galman has shown signs, but mostly cause Perkins was so putrid. The drops seem to be increasing, not decreasing. I know its all the rage to pin the offensive woes on Eli, but he couldn't have placed some of those drops any better if he ran out there and put them in the hands of Marshall. He is still needing to get rid of the ball entirely too quickly. He doesn't have the time for a second read. Forget looking anyone off. 

The D has followed them into the rabbit hole. They should be better than they've shown vs the run. And I my sense is they've been bad against the run all 4 games. Eli Apple seems to have regressed badly. 

I am not sure any phase of the game is working well, especially with Wing screwing up punts at critical moments in the last two games.

I'd like to see McAdoofus drop the play calling. I think he's got too much on his plate and things are falling off cause he is trying to be signal caller too. Part of leadership is delegation. I feel he hasn't embraced that. 

(A little less negatively, I am not sure McAdoo's tenure should be up yet, but he clearly needs to learn and adjust some things. This second year is not treating him kindly. But I'm over Reese, he can't leave soon enough. I've got zero faith left in him)

The D has followed them into the rabbit hole. They should be better than they've shown vs the run. And I my sense is they've been bad against the run all 4 games. Eli Apple seems to have regressed badly.
Watching Apple is very frustrating.  His ability to blanket a receiver is great.  He just doesn't seem to have any ball awareness.  Not sure you can teach that.

Regarding the Oline - I know they are not very good but over the 1st 2 games Eli and Perkins made them look a hell of a lot worse than they actual are. They haven't allowed a sack in 2 game, mainly because Eli has been getting rid of the ball a lot quicker ... but he should.  All RBs not named Perkins have combined 4 yards per carry ...which isnt great but it's not horrible either. Last week I saw 2 Oline plays that particularly stood out ... On one play the oline had built human cage around 2 of Tampa's D'linemen and completely froze them out of the play giving Eli plenty of time to throw at least 4-5 seconds. The other play 2 or 3 O'linemen formed a moving wall and were lead blocking 10 yards down field on a big run. Also I believe they only had 1 penalty the entire game that was declined.

So while the Oline has been bad ... they have not been the reason that we are losing. It comes down to 3 standout Duds in this order (Wing , Apple and Perkins)

You should never be able to say you lost the game on 1 play but ... the past 2 weeks we lost the game on our last punt of the day. I personally can't stand Brad Wing, I hate his hair, I hate his unjustified punter with an attitude, I hate that he and Odell are best friend, and I hate that he single handedly costs us the last 2 game and is the difference between 2-2 and 0-4. I would luv to see him sent packing!!! 

Eli apple leads the NFL in Penalty yards and has been a huge contributor to the last 2 loses.

Perkins is hands down without a doubt the worst running back in the NFL 

From Super Bowl aspirations to #1 pick in the draft aspirations.

If the Giants play their cards right they can rebuild this team in 1 or 2 years.  They need to go hard for the #1 pick in the draft. Trade out of the #1 spot for 2 or 3 high 1st and 2nd round picks. Trade Eli for a 1st rd pick to a QB needy team that is a veteran QB away from being a playoff team (ie Cleveland) . Trade O'dell for a 1st round pick and now you are loaded with multiple 1st and 2nd round picks over the next couple of years. 

This draft is deep at QB and LT's so you could still land a franchise QB and LT 

If the Giants play their cards right they can rebuild this team in 1 or 2 years.  They need to go hard for the #1 pick in the draft. Trade out of the #1 spot for 2 or 3 high 1st and 2nd round picks. Trade Eli for a 1st rd pick to a QB needy team that is a veteran QB away from being a playoff team (ie Cleveland) . Trade O'dell for a 1st round pick and now you are loaded with multiple 1st and 2nd round picks over the next couple of years. 

*sigh*

Take a breath, Giants aren't trading Eli or Odell. This isn't fantasy football here.

lol

Eli should continue to start. Then I would love to see what Davis Webb can do in weeks 15-17 to see if we need to use our #1 draft pick on a QB or if we can trade back to get OL help. 

Bold 2018 predictions:

• Giants draft a franchise QB in round 1 next year
  • Eli Manning gets traded to Denver
  • Cleveland trades 1st round pick for Trevor Siemien
  • Jets draft a bad QB with 2nd round pick
  • McAdoo spends a lot of time with his family

Question from an outsider.  What do you think Eli's realistic trade value is at this juncture of his career?

-QG

Any chance NBC can flex out of Giants @ Broncos Sunday night? Packers @ Vikings is more compelling, hell even Lions @ Saints or Pats @ Jets.

Please? 

Eli should continue to start. Then I would love to see what Davis Webb can do in weeks 15-17 to see if we need to use our #1 draft pick on a QB or if we can trade back to get OL help. 
It's amazing he has started 204 games straight, 5 more and he passes Peyton for 2nd all-time.     I'd like to see what Webb has later in the season as well.

Free agent OT Branden Albert will work out for the Giants later this week.

Albert left his Seahawks visit without a deal. The Giants' line is one of the league's worst. Signing Albert would give the G-Men the option of benching LT Ereck Flowers.
Thank goodness, why did it take so long to get a Flowers replacement???

Last edited by a moderator:
The state of Oklahoma has opted not to file domestic violence charges against free agent OT Michael Bowie.

Bowie was in hot water back in August and was subsequently cut by the Giants. Now that he's in the clear, Bowie may get another chance in New York.
I think the Giants have to sign him to the practice squad. They need O-Line talent badly.

So uh.... what is the 411 on Roger Lewis and where does he come from, etc.?
Giants signed Bowling Green WR Roger Lewis.

Lewis (6'1/ 196) committed to Ohio State out of high school, but was accused of felony rape and had his scholarship rescinded. He landed at Bowling Green, twice earning first-team All-MAC honors with a combined 158-2,637-23 (16.7 YPR) receiving line. Allegedly nursing a hamstring injury, Lewis underwhelmed at the Combine but destroyed the Falcons' Pro Day, running 4.46 with a 36-inch vertical and 10-foot-5 broad jump. Lewis' off-field history is a concern, but he has an NFL makeup and could prove a steal if he stays on the straight and narrow.
His pluses are footwork to get in and out of cuts fast, he can play outside or in the slot. Had questionable hands last year but has been working on them. 

The sneakier add IMHO would be Tavarres King. Guy just screams playmaker when I saw him last year. He's bounced around since being drafted in 2013, but you notice his tools out there moreso than RLJr.

Broncos selected Georgia WR Tavarres King with the No. 161 overall pick.

King (6-foot 1/4, 189) hauled in 42 Aaron Murray passes as a senior for 950 yards (22.6 YPR) and nine touchdowns. He lit up Alabama for 128 yards on five catches in the SEC title game. With legit speed (4.47 forty) to separate from defensive backs and long arms (33") to create a wide catching radius, King looks every bit the part of an NFL No. 2 or low-end No. 1 receiver. King will slide in as the Broncos' No. 4 receiver.

@Giants 1m1 minute ago
More
Coach McAdoo: DRC came in today and decided to leave. We will suspend him. #NYGiants

And it begins...
Just heard this on WFAN. So crazy how this team has imploded. I'm not one to call for yanking a coach on a whim, but it's quickly looking like McAdoo is out of his depth.

@Giants 1m1 minute ago
More
Coach McAdoo: DRC came in today and decided to leave. We will suspend him. #NYGiants

And it begins...
Ugh watch out for the Giants tanking vs the Broncos. Big test of whether McAdoo still has control. - Is there a prime candidate of who would replace him if it comes to that?

Ugh watch out for the Giants tanking vs the Broncos. Big test of whether McAdoo still has control. - Is there a prime candidate of who would replace him if it comes to that?
Giants suspended CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie for conduct detrimental to the team.

According to those involved, Rodgers-Cromartie came into the facility Wednesday and got into a heated altercation with coach Ben McAdoo. It reportedly had much to do with his role on defense. DRC has been playing inside, covering the slot, but wants to play outside after he briefly was given the chance to in Week 5 against the Chargers at the expense of Eli Apple. The coaching staff apparently wants to go back to Apple, and DRC decided to leave the team. It's a sinking ship for the G-Men. Look for Ross Cockrell to pick up the available snaps.

It would be uncharacteristic of them to fire a coach in season. Spagnuolo has head coaching experience so he'd be as good a choice as any on an interim basis. No idea who the top candidates might be next year. Any notable OC's/DC's that get mentioned as potential HC's? I honestly have no idea.

I'd be pissed if Eli Apple was starting over me ... Eli Manning might be a corner than Eli Apple 

According to ESPN's Dan Graziano, Giants CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie was suspended after walking out of a team meeting on Wednesday.

DRC's troubles actually began on Friday when he walked out on the team's "recovery day." Frustrations mounted Sunday against the Chargers when Rodgers-Cromartie angrily slammed his helmet down and left the field before the game was over. Coach Ben McAdoo held a meeting with Rodgers-Cromartie on Tuesday, telling him that he would be allowed to practice but would not be active for Week 6 against the Broncos and would also be fined for skipping the mandatory recovery day. DRC responded by walking out of Wednesday's meeting and cleaning out his locker, which prompted the suspension. Despite his recent outbursts, the Giants have no plans to trade or release Rodgers-Cromartie.
So... it legit sounds like he wanted to move back outside to give Eli Apple a break. Giants (in usual fashion) do nothing, keep DRC in the slot and leave Apple to die. Meets with McAdoo and gets BS news, which causes him to leave.

:bag:

You could tell this team was a couple apples short of a bushel (eli apples or otherwise) after the second game. From there I already had the "####, don't win 6-8 games just lose them all and get our next 10 year QB" mentality.

Thank god I have a LOT going on in my life so I don't have to actually focus on this. And, in an ironic twist, being in Dallas (of all damned places!) actually makes it a lot easier as I don't have to be reminded how much we suck every day.  Plus, fun to watch their season begin to implode as well.

So - who we looking to draft?

So, I am not a Giants fan, but I love the Travis Rudolph story and was happy to see that he was promoted from the practice squad as a result of the wr injuries. Haven't been able to find any info on his planned role or usage.

Wouldn't be surprised if this gets covered during SNF.
https://www.apnews.com/50e653dbecbf4120a27cd01871b2b9d6
http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=17469429
Rudolph looked fantastic in preseason ... He led all Giant WRs in catches and yards and looked real good in the process. I was shocked when he didn't make the cut. I had seen the story "FSU player eats lunch with autistic student sitting alone" on TV ... but I wasn't familiar with Rudolph @ the time so I never put it together.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000835008/Can-t-Miss-Play-Travis-Rudolph-channels-inner-OBJ-and-snags-the-ball-over-defender

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVCNM_3Pbxw

First time in years that this early in the season I am going to opt to not watch a Giants game. Hell I even picked up the Broncos DST in my fantasy league so I could stream them this week. This is so frustrating to see going on. I really hope the Reese regime doesn't survive this. They just can't. 

Rudolph looked fantastic in preseason ... He led all Giant WRs in catches and yards and looked real good in the process. I was shocked when he didn't make the cut. I had seen the story "FSU player eats lunch with autistic student sitting alone" on TV ... but I wasn't familiar with Rudolph @ the time so I never put it together.
Thx for highlights.I'm a sap for this stuff. Despite being an Eagles fan, I'll root for him if he gets playing time.
Really tragic story followed for him btw. A week before the draft, his dad was fatally shot when someone moved a gun off a shelf next to the room where he was working and it went off and went through the wall. :cry:

A) Nobody is trading a 1st round pick for Eli Manning

B) Cleveland is not a QB away from being a playoff team

C) Even Cleveland is not stupid enough to use Eli as a stop gap measure when they are not close to contending.

Because of the depth of QB's in this draft there will be a good market for the top couple of picks in this years draft so it might make sense for the Giants to trade down. However, they do need a long-term solution for their next QB so they shouldn't trade far enough down that they can't get the guy that they want. Look at Cleveland trading away picks that could have gotten them Wentz last year and Watson this year. And they settled for a QB that they have already benched. The Giants don't want to be those guys.

So should they just blow it up right now? Call Coughlin and see what he offers for Manning? Throw the rookie QB to the wolves to see if he's got a shot?

Tank the season? Then what? Go for a first round QB or Barkley? Or draft 5 offensive linemen? Any opinions?

Boomer on the fan this am was promoting a Jacksonville trade for Eli. Said it makes too much sense for both teams ... Jacksonville has a Superbowl Defense and No QB, Giants are going nowhere and should be thinking about their future, and Coughlin is the executive vice president of football operations for Jacksonville. He was also concerned that Eli's consecutive game streak could be in jeopardy because he might not make it through the season with the lack of talent around him and he thinks they need to find out what they have in Davis Webb.

First time in years that this early in the season I am going to opt to not watch a Giants game. Hell I even picked up the Broncos DST in my fantasy league so I could stream them this week. This is so frustrating to see going on. I really hope the Reese regime doesn't survive this. They just can't. 
 There is no way in the world that Reese survives after neglecting the O'line with expectations so high. I'm actually past the point of caring this year and I'm in full rebuild mode. Trading Eli mid season to a SB contender would reap a huge (way overvalued) return.

Also want to point out what nobody has mentioned about last weeks game. From the beginning of the game (pre-injuries) we were talking about how Eli was going to get his receivers killed if he keep making them stretch out for balls and reach back in traffic. Sure enough he helped wipe out the entire WR corps.

How safe do you guys think McAdoo is? I know the Giants aren't quick on the trigger with coaches, but I've heard a lot radio talk about how he's lost the locker room.

Giants usually don't let coaches go during the season. But if Reese and McAdoo aren't gone at the end of the year that's already 2 strikes against

a rebuild,which,sad to say,seems to be the only option right now.

A) Nobody is trading a 1st round pick for Eli Manning

B) Cleveland is not a QB away from being a playoff team

C) Even Cleveland is not stupid enough to use Eli as a stop gap measure when they are not close to contending.

Because of the depth of QB's in this draft there will be a good market for the top couple of picks in this years draft so it might make sense for the Giants to trade down. However, they do need a long-term solution for their next QB so they shouldn't trade far enough down that they can't get the guy that they want. Look at Cleveland trading away picks that could have gotten them Wentz last year and Watson this year. And they settled for a QB that they have already benched. The Giants don't want to be those guys.
A) Nobody is trading a 1st round pick for Eli Manning - You're real wrong about this ... The window of opportunity in the NFL is real small ... you have to go for it when you have the chance and QB is by far the one position that teams will way overpay for. There are only 7 current QBs that have won SBs,  only 3 of them have won multiple SBs, only 1 of them is undefeated in Supes, only 1 of them has beaten Brady and he has done it twice.  He has the current longest consecutive games played by a QB and has the 3rd (likely to be 2nd) longest QB streak in NFL history ... He's got value and his former  head coach knows it. 

B) Cleveland is not a QB away from being a playoff team ... Debatable ... they've lost 3 games by a FG.  Eli, 89.1 Rating vs. Kizer 49.5 rating could have definitely made a difference.

C) Even Cleveland is not stupid enough to use Eli as a stop gap measure when they are not close to contending. -  They've had 27 Qbs in less than 17 years and only one has played 16 games since 2001 ... so they are pretty stupid when it comes to QBs. Trading for Eli might be one of the smartest QB things they've ever done.  They are close to contending. They have a ton of talent and they've been fairly competitive ... it's hard to believe that they haven't won a game ...QB would make a huge difference

A) Nobody is trading a 1st round pick for Eli Manning - You're real wrong about this ... The window of opportunity in the NFL is real small ... you have to go for it when you have the chance and QB is by far the one position that teams will way overpay for. There are only 7 current QBs that have won SBs,  only 3 of them have won multiple SBs, only 1 of them is undefeated in Supes, only 1 of them has beaten Brady and he has done it twice.  He has the current longest consecutive games played by a QB and has the 3rd (likely to be 2nd) longest QB streak in NFL history ... He's got value and his former  head coach knows it. 

B) Cleveland is not a QB away from being a playoff team ... Debatable ... they've lost 3 games by a FG.  Eli, 89.1 Rating vs. Kizer 49.5 rating could have definitely made a difference.

C) Even Cleveland is not stupid enough to use Eli as a stop gap measure when they are not close to contending. -  They've had 27 Qbs in less than 17 years and only one has played 16 games since 2001 ... so they are pretty stupid when it comes to QBs. Trading for Eli might be one of the smartest QB things they've ever done.  They are close to contending. They have a ton of talent and they've been fairly competitive ... it's hard to believe that they haven't won a game ...QB would make a huge difference
If anyone could trade for Eli, it could be Jacksonville. That does make the most sense. But Eli, despite being on two superbowl winning teams is, for the most part, an average QB who never gets hurt. Of all the QB's that have played as much as Eli, his stats are universally the lowest, save for Vinnie Testeverde. The Giants had a great defensive run in 2007 which won them a Superbowl. Eli was probably at his best when the Giants won their next Superbowl, but while good, he was never an elite QB. I will be shocked if anyone gives up a first round pick for him, especially at his age.

You might be right that the Browns are that stupid, after all, they have just traded picks in the last two years that could have gotten them Wentz and Watson, but if they trade for Eli, their fanbase might burn down their stadium. I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt on that one.

dhockster said:
I'm not going to argue that Eli is a great QB (I'm not really a big fan myself which is why I am willing to trade him) but his durability is a huge plus that really can't be quantified and he is definitely better than average.

His QB Rating is a bit skewed ... His first 4 years he had a 73 rating but he became a much better QB after 2007. Over his last 10 years (2008 -2017)  his rating was 87.5  which would put him at about 20th all time. Take away 2013 which was a complete disaster 69 rating (Andre Brown led the team in rushing with 492) and he would be at about a 90 rating which would put him in the top 15 of all time. His career passer rating in the playoffs is 87.4 or 16th all time and in the 8 games during the SB years is about 99.5  which would be 5th all time just ahead of Rodgers and Montana 

The Giants worked out free agent OG Orlando Franklin.

It's the first interest in Franklin since his August release. The Giants are in the market for offensive line upgrades, but haven't made any signings. They've also been connected to Branden Albert and Cyrus Kouandijo.
NOW they look for offensive lineman?

Giants have worked out like 5 O-Lineman this week! For real, this should've been happening after Game 2.

I'd give my left nut for him to be just mediocre. He's actually actively terrible.

He makes stupid decisions at bad times. Sometimes he gets lucky and bailed out. Sometimes, he's worse than Favre at his worst.

I've always said Eli Manning is like a poker player that goes all-in every time he gets Ace-Jack-offsuit. Sometimes, that's a lucky play and you win with it. But in the long run, it's a loser. 

Eli's long-term look is, well, he's a loser.
I love that poker analogy

I think it's hilarious that Darkwa has pretty much been the same runner since 2015 for the G-Men, and just when Perkins gets hurt and Gallman looks good, they suddenly remember Darkwa isn't a bad runner. They just never gave him a shot due to a myriad of reasons.

Make no mistake, the revamped Giants offensive like worked wonders. With Jones/Fluker/Pugh on on side you have a solid run blocking side. Flowers and Jerry on the other means it's easier to roll protecting that side. Even though Fluker is poor in pass protection, you sandwich him with two decent pass protectors in Jones and Pugh. Remember, Pugh started out his career at RT before shifting to his more natural Guard position.

EDIT: Gallman played only 12 fewer snaps than Darkwa. Giants are pretty much alternating drives and going hot hand.

He should have been the guy from day one. He isn't fancy he just runs hard without hesitation, very rarely does he take false steps or studder steps
Darkwa was brutal in the passing game last week vs SD. Dropped 3 passes I think. I was at MetLife for the Charger game and recalled a couple of drops on plays on my side of the field. Still--the guy showed tonight he can tote it.

Users who are viewing this thread