What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kid Scores 92 in High School Game (1 Viewer)

Ball told ESPN's Myron Medcalf that his performance was dedicated to a classmate, Lexi, who is in the hospital.

His teammates, aware of the situation, encouraged him to keep shooting as the points piled up, Ball said.

So basically it was volume. He shot horribly. 33% from 3 pt line and 50% overall. I'd say it was not a big deal. I mean a nice gesture by the team but otherwise if you let me shot 60 times I am going to pile up points and I suck at basketball.

Yeah, that's a nice side of the story about the dedication to his friend and all.  But still.  I would be embarrassed to see him not playing defense, if he was my son.  

They played Los Osos High School, the teen development league team for the Washington Generals.

So basically it was volume. He shot horribly. 33% from 3 pt line and 50% overall. I'd say it was not a big deal. I mean a nice gesture by the team but otherwise if you let me shot 60 times I am going to pile up points and I suck at basketball.
Well, he was 30-for-39 from the field. 

Well, he was 30-for-39 from the field. 
he was 37 for 61 from the field.  30 for 39 for 2 pt shots, including 28 layups (I don't know how many were layups but apparently there were many).  

If the other team didn't care to play defense on him, then that's another side of the story too.  But the opposing coach called it a "joke" because of his cherry picking.  Well, stop him then, if you don't like it.  

Charles Barkley didn't care for it.  Imagine that.  His comments halfway down the page, on Mike and Mike. 

“You know, the kid was waiting at half court most of the game,” Barkley said on the Mike and Mike Show. “Never went back on defense. So, I had a problem with it, to be honest with you. Go look at the game. The kid waited at the other end of the court and just every time the other team shot the ball, they just threw to him at half-court or three-quarters of the court. I have a serious problem with that, to be honest with you.”

The opposing coach was also displeased, calling it “a joke.”

If i was a coach, I would be delighted if a team decided only 4 guys needed to play defense. My worst offensive player would hang out with him at half court. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The record for points in a high school game is 135, in 1960.  Without a 3 pt line, that's a lot of shots right there.  

he was 37 for 61 from the field.  30 for 39 for 2 pt shots, including 28 layups (I don't know how many were layups but apparently there were many).  

If the other team didn't care to play defense on him, then that's another side of the story too.  But the opposing coach called it a "joke" because of his cherry picking.  Well, stop him then, if you don't like it.  
The joke was the opposing coaches defense. 

Total embarrassment, IMO.  First, Ball rarely crossing half court.  Secondly, for the opposing team not being able to figure out how to defend 50 consecutive sixty foot inbound passes.  

Lowlights

I didnt watch the entire video. It must have gotten really bad at the end. Did the kid play defense? No, he didn't. That being said, he also wasn't cherry picking from what I saw. Maybe 2 baskets didnt have a defender back with him. Looked to me that they simply set him up in isolation and the other team couldn't stop it. 

he didn't cross back over to defensive side of half court for probably half his points. not sure how anyone could watch that whoile video though, i just scrolled through

I didnt watch the entire video. It must have gotten really bad at the end. Did the kid play defense? No, he didn't. That being said, he also wasn't cherry picking from what I saw. Maybe 2 baskets didnt have a defender back with him. Looked to me that they simply set him up in isolation and the other team couldn't stop it. 
This is mostly true.  It isn't like he stood at the other team's foul line waiting for a pass.  But there was another video montage of the game where it showed a whole lot of standing around mid court waiting for a pass/cherry picking.  I can't find it, but saw it on either SC or PTI yesterday.  

The video in the OP only showed a little.  

And FYI, this is more than just "some kid". His oldest brother, Lonzo, will probably be picked no later than pick # 3 in this year's NBA draft. His other brother is a senior in HS and is comitted to UCLA

Cherry picking?  Not a big deal.

Fouling the team that's behind just get more possessions so he can score more points?  Buschhhhhhh league.  They were probably trying to get him to 100.

Still, that highlight reel showed some nice plays by Ball and some crappy defense from the opponents.

Basketball is dumb.

Let's see how good he is at a real sport....like bowling. Bet he can't score 92 in bowling.

37-61 is 50%?

Why didn't the opposing coach go into a stall?  Or does CA high school have a shot clock?

Last edited by a moderator:
Total embarrassment, IMO.  First, Ball rarely crossing half court.  Secondly, for the opposing team not being able to figure out how to defend 50 consecutive sixty foot inbound passes.  

Lowlights
That video was ridiculous.  Looks like the coaches rolled the ball on the court then left the gym for the local watering hole.

That video was ridiculous.  Looks like the coaches rolled the ball on the court then left the gym for the local watering hole.
With the exception of Ball not getting back on D, that's pretty common for some of these high school teams with higher end talent. It's basically street ball and very little "plays" are run. 

Meh - it's the same style offense they used last year when they were the #1 team in the nation, and the same type of rotation (only 6, maybe 7 players playing regardless of score). They were #1 in the nation again this year until losing at the Nike Showcase this past Saturday against another top 5 or so nationally ranked team.

Users who are viewing this thread