What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Survivor Season 42: Starts Wednesday March 9, 2022 (5 Viewers)

This whole "mentor" concept just makes me not want to watch.....Survivor is about going there and figuring #### out for yourself as you go....the thought of watching one strategic coach em up session after another just seems really boring to me....I don't want to see players guided through a game by some "expert"....goes against the core of the game if you ask me.....IMO will be the worst twist to the game of all time...

Looks like for the next two seasons. Next season they are supposed to be mentors for new players.  Season after is going to be all winners and rumor is they'll be there too. Big ugh.
Well next season is probably going to blow. I hope they let them compete so that they can be voted out quickly. If they would let them play I could see them being protected through a certain point in the game. 

This whole "mentor" concept just makes me not want to watch.....Survivor is about going there and figuring #### out for yourself as you go....the thought of watching one strategic coach em up session after another just seems really boring to me....I don't want to see players guided through a game by some "expert"....goes against the core of the game if you ask me.....IMO will be the worst twist to the game of all time...
for sure!   Did you see the giant statues of their heads? WTF   :lmao:

This whole "mentor" concept just makes me not want to watch
Whomever is the first to tell Boston Rob to go home, he's old news, strategies have evolved since his time and he's a dinosaur, etc. gets my vote to win the whole thing.

Though it looks like BR could use the trip out there.  Dude was looking majorly porky.

I like Sandra.   :shrug:  
Me too.  She has a strategy that nobody seems to be able to duplicate.

- First and foremost make damn sure the vote isn't for you

- Make aggressive moves when you have to, but don't "be aggressive" (unless it's toward someone the rest of the group despises)

- Observe and detect the bigger voting blocks early in their development.  Find a way to be part of their conversations 

- Observe your opponents, figure out their personality traits, and exploit them psychologically

- Let the alphas be alphas.  Make the sheep think you're their shepherd when you're really just another wolf

- Make sure that in group conversations you hang back but seem strong.  Never be the leader, but never be low person either.

- Never be afraid to vote off someone you've become friends with

- Keep talking but say nothing

- Don't worry about "your resume".  Trust your ability to twist the truth at final tribal.

Just finished this the other day after being hopelessly behind all season. Kind of surprised Jarrod from subway couldn’t pull that out in the end. 

Just finished this the other day after being hopelessly behind all season. Kind of surprised Jarrod from subway couldn’t pull that out in the end. 
He and Lauren effed it up. They both gave Chris an idol on consecutive weeks. I’m sorry but giving away idols to anyone who isn’t Julie (loyal sidekick with no shot) at final 6 and 5 is plain stupid. Both of them had idols that secured their place at the final 4, which meant they win immunity to get to final 3, are chosen for the final 3 or make fire for final 3. If that’s the case you need to look at the person you are saving and see if they can beat you in immunity challenge for final 3, beat you at making fire and know enough jury members to win. At that point, Chris checked all boxes so both of them played stupid moves and it cost them both a chance at a million. Substitute either for Chris and they have a good shot at winning, Devens especially. 

He and Lauren effed it up. They both gave Chris an idol on consecutive weeks. I’m sorry but giving away idols to anyone who isn’t Julie (loyal sidekick with no shot) at final 6 and 5 is plain stupid. Both of them had idols that secured their place at the final 4, which meant they win immunity to get to final 3, are chosen for the final 3 or make fire for final 3. If that’s the case you need to look at the person you are saving and see if they can beat you in immunity challenge for final 3, beat you at making fire and know enough jury members to win. At that point, Chris checked all boxes so both of them played stupid moves and it cost them both a chance at a million. Substitute either for Chris and they have a good shot at winning, Devens especially. 
I am not so sure that going in I would have thought that Chris had any shot to actually win the million because he didn't play for most of the game being stuck on EoE.   It's easy to look back with 20-20 hindsight and see where his strengths were and that actually being on that island turned out to be a huge advantage in the end.  I know many around here didn't think that anybody coming back from EoE had much of a chance at winning the whole thing. 

In hindsight Devens giving him the second half of the idol was a bad a move because Chris ended up going for the huge move of choosing to make fire over just getting to the final 3 without it.  If Chris doesn't do that I think Devens wins the fire contest and probably wins the whole thing.  Devens already had the idol to make it to final 4 and by giving up the other half he thought it would get him to final three with Chris.  Chris just outplayed him and made the big move to win.  I don't think you could have predicted that in the moment.

Lauren on the other hand was stupid giving away the idol regardless of who she was giving it to.  She just got played and was stupid from the get go. 

I am not so sure that going in I would have thought that Chris had any shot to actually win the million because he didn't play for most of the game being stuck on EoE.   It's easy to look back with 20-20 hindsight and see where his strengths were and that actually being on that island turned out to be a huge advantage in the end.  I know many around here didn't think that anybody coming back from EoE had much of a chance at winning the whole thing. 

In hindsight Devens giving him the second half of the idol was a bad a move because Chris ended up going for the huge move of choosing to make fire over just getting to the final 3 without it.  If Chris doesn't do that I think Devens wins the fire contest and probably wins the whole thing.  Devens already had the idol to make it to final 4 and by giving up the other half he thought it would get him to final three with Chris.  Chris just outplayed him and made the big move to win.  I don't think you could have predicted that in the moment.

Lauren on the other hand was stupid giving away the idol regardless of who she was giving it to.  She just got played and was stupid from the get go. 
We are in sync on Lauren, that’s an unforgivable mistake no matter how you spin it.

Chris was on EoE for a while, way longer than Devens so you have to think he’s established some friendships. Just like Kelly was voting for Lauren regardless of how well she played, you can’t take that for granted. Also, he’s been good at challenges so you’d rather him not be a threat. I don’t care who you are making a fire against, you still would rather have an easier challenge at 4. Chris winning that allowed him to challenge Devens at fire and get rid of him. Devens was going to win if he was final 3 so that was a good call by Chris but Devens let him stay long enough to make that decision.

It’s not about predicting, it’s about playing the odds and having a final 4 with Victoria or Lauren instead almost assures Devens of final 3. It wasn’t hindsight, it should have been obvious to Devens that Chris was his only real threat left. He even said on the interviews he wasn’t sure if Chris was really on board, but he wasn’t thinking the end game as to who could actually keep him from the final 3.

Been watching some of the old episodes with no idols and the game is boring.  All it takes is one group to determine how to pick people off and the game is procedural.  I could see the argument to maybe tone back the amount of idols, but idols definitely make the game better.
Yeah - IMO the best episode this season was when everyone thought they had an idol.... But 2 fake and 2 real were played

Been watching some of the old episodes with no idols and the game is boring.  All it takes is one group to determine how to pick people off and the game is procedural.  I could see the argument to maybe tone back the amount of idols, but idols definitely make the game better.
Idols (and advantages) are great but they definitely need to be earned more. Giving idols to players coming back in the game or having voted out players give them out is bad. Also, seemingly “helping” folks in distress with easy to find idols is bad. It does seem too convenient when some people find them. That said, it could be editing as well, but 

I agree the idols should be harder to find.  Use the normal hiding places for clues, and have the actual idols be in the tree above camp (like Deven's this season), part of the alliance flag spot (was that James who found that one?), placed somewhere in the challenge structure, buried next to the fire pit....  Somewhere where you can't just run off and find it, but need to plan when to search with everyone around.

I agree the idols should be harder to find.  Use the normal hiding places for clues, and have the actual idols be in the tree above camp (like Deven's this season), part of the alliance flag spot (was that James who found that one?), placed somewhere in the challenge structure, buried next to the fire pit....  Somewhere where you can't just run off and find it, but need to plan when to search with everyone around.
Yeah - editing makes it seem if you spend a few hours searching you can usually found one.  Small price to pay for an idol. 

TheIronSheik said:
agreed. there needs to be a better balance. no idols is impossible but 4 idols among 5 people is ridiculous.

their appearance needs to be more randomized. or included in challenges... winner gets a "permanent" idol, 2nd place gets the idol for tonight, etc. something like that.

stbugs said:
We are in sync on Lauren, that’s an unforgivable mistake no matter how you spin it.

Chris was on EoE for a while, way longer than Devens so you have to think he’s established some friendships. Just like Kelly was voting for Lauren regardless of how well she played, you can’t take that for granted. Also, he’s been good at challenges so you’d rather him not be a threat. I don’t care who you are making a fire against, you still would rather have an easier challenge at 4. Chris winning that allowed him to challenge Devens at fire and get rid of him. Devens was going to win if he was final 3 so that was a good call by Chris but Devens let him stay long enough to make that decision.

It’s not about predicting, it’s about playing the odds and having a final 4 with Victoria or Lauren instead almost assures Devens of final 3. It wasn’t hindsight, it should have been obvious to Devens that Chris was his only real threat left. He even said on the interviews he wasn’t sure if Chris was really on board, but he wasn’t thinking the end game as to who could actually keep him from the final 3.
I think you are looking at with hindsight.  My initial thought was that nobody would vote for Chris to win because he wasn't even in the game.  I didn't realize how many ties he developed on EoE and I am not sure that a contestant that was playing the game would assume that those ties would be that important.  I was thinking in real time that there really is no way the returner could win because the other contestants could just pull the outlast/outplay card since that guy didn't actually play the game.   I was even thinking at the time that I might try and take him because I don't think he could win (which is why I don't think the giving back of the other half was necessarily a bad play with that thought process).  After the fact when you hear them discuss and see how many relationships were developed by being on EoE then you start to realize he could be a factor and keeping him around was a problem. 

I still think that if Chris would not have given up the final immunity to make fire and just went to the end that he probably doesn't win - especially if Devens does win the fire challenge against one of the other two.  I think Chris played all of his cards perfectly and everything had to fall just right for him to win. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you are looking at with hindsight.  My initial thought was that nobody would vote for Chris to win because he wasn't even in the game.  I didn't realize how many ties he developed on EoE and I am not sure that a contestant that was playing the game would assume that those ties would be that important.
which, for me, makes his win.. even his chance to win.. unfair.

he wasn't participating in the game for almost a month. he didn't have to forge alliances to keep him alive in the game, participate in challenges, plot with other players as the sands shifted on a daily basis. if we're to believe that what happened on exile island was integral to the show then the producers failed miserably in presenting that to fans. 

it's like a race bandit hopping out of the crowd at mile 24 of a marathon and sprinting to the end for a win. sure.. the guy was hanging around and watching.. and, yes, he ran the last 2 miles faster than everyone else from the point at which he entered the race until the finish line but there's that whole part about not participating in the rest of the event which is.. kind of a big deal.

felt like CBS put this together without a good plan on how it would work, realized it was terrible & on the fly threw this "let's reintroduce someone on day 35!" twist in hoping to salvage the idea. like a stale sitcom introducing a new kid/baby in hopes that the cuteness factor will buoy ratings and save the show.

he wasn't participating in the game for almost a month. he didn't have to forge alliances to keep him alive in the game, participate in challenges, plot with other players as the sands shifted on a daily basis. if we're to believe that what happened on exile island was integral to the show then the producers failed miserably in presenting that to fans. 

it's like a race bandit hopping out of the crowd at mile 24 of a marathon and sprinting to the end for a win. sure.. the guy was hanging around and watching.. and, yes, he ran the last 2 miles faster than everyone else from the point at which he entered the race until the finish line but there's that whole part about not participating in the rest of the event which is.. kind of a big deal.

felt like CBS put this together without a good plan on how it would work, realized it was terrible & on the fly threw this "let's reintroduce someone on day 35!" twist in hoping to salvage the idea. like a stale sitcom introducing a new kid/baby in hopes that the cuteness factor will buoy ratings and save the show.
I do think that they were hoping that the person from EoE did win. They gave both people that came back an idol and Devens found so many idols. I know many of us think it’s a bit suspicious when people (especially favorites) always find them when they need them.

Just imagine how silly the whole EoE would have been if Devens and Chris were out as soon as they came back. It’ll happen next time if they ever try it again. 

I am in complete agreement with you.  It goes against the spirit of the game for him to win since he was really never at risk and had no "outplay" opportunities throughout the game. 

I do give him credit for doing the best he could with what his opportunities were and I still think if he didn't decide to put himself at risk by needing to win the fire challenge and just went to the final three he would not have won. 

I am in complete agreement with you.  It goes against the spirit of the game for him to win since he was really never at risk and had no "outplay" opportunities throughout the game. 

I do give him credit for doing the best he could with what his opportunities were and I still think if he didn't decide to put himself at risk by needing to win the fire challenge and just went to the final three he would not have won. 
I give him some credit but after thinking about it that was kind of unfair as well. He likely had a lot more info from the “jury” about who might win. If he hadn’t been on EoE at all maybe he doesn’t risk it because he doesn’t know for sure who on the jury would vote for Devens. Maybe he still does it, but he had a distinct advantage of living with the jury for weeks.

and imagine being one of the people voted off early this season. instead of being sequestered in a luxury resort with all the amenities, like past losers, you suffer in utter desolation for 30 days instead.

sign me up!

while I didn't really like the concept from the beginning....I could have "dealt" with it a little better if they didn't gift him the half idol.....IMO that was a complete game changer and completely unnecessary....IMO he doesn't win the game without it.....

he was already gifted the freakin biggest idol there could be....being booted off and being able to get back in.....it doesn't get much bigger than that...why give him another advantage.....if he comes back into the game and is able to maneuver his way to the finals on his own.....fine, I guess....but that half idol changed the game....

plus he got info about Lauren's idol on EoE....the other players left didn't know she had it....which was another advantage/info  nobody knew Chris had.....

Last edited by a moderator:
while I didn't really like the concept from the beginning....I could have "dealt" with it a little better if they didn't gift him the half idol.....IMO that was a complete game changer and completely unnecessary....IMO he doesn't win the game without it.....

he was already gifted the freakin biggest idol there could be....being booted off and being able to get back in.....it doesn't get much bigger than that...why give him another advantage.....if he comes back into the game and is able to maneuver his way to the finals on his own.....fine, I guess....but that half idol changed the game....

plus he got info about Lauren's idol on EoE....the other players left didn't know she had it....which was another advantage/info  nobody knew Chris had.....
Good point about Lauren’s idol. He got way too many advantages being on EoE.

and imagine being one of the people voted off early this season. instead of being sequestered in a luxury resort with all the amenities, like past losers, you suffer in utter desolation for 30 days instead.

sign me up!
I thought only the jury got to hang around and everyone else gets on a plane and sent back home.      Super annoying having to see Ream on the show all season and her actually have a say in the game at the end, she should have been on a plane at some point.

I thought only the jury got to hang around and everyone else gets on a plane and sent back home.      Super annoying having to see Ream on the show all season and her actually have a say in the game at the end, she should have been on a plane at some point.
I posted this earlier in the thread.

The castaways are sequestered in two batches, the first being the pre-jury, and the second the jury and the finalists. Once the pre-jury is complete, they will vacate Ponderosa and be sequestered in a neighboring country until the end of filming. With Ponderosa empty, it is prepared to be occupied by the jury and the finalists.[2] Beginning from Survivor: Micronesia, the jury's stay at Ponderosa is chronicled through a web series called Life at Ponderosa, which can be viewed through the CBS website and YouTube channels. The day after the Final Tribal Council, the jurors and the finalists will have one final meal before heading home.

For this season, only the 2 players who gave up were considered pre-jury.

I do think that they were hoping that the person from EoE did win. They gave both people that came back an idol and Devens found so many idols. I know many of us think it’s a bit suspicious when people (especially favorites) always find them when they need them.

Just imagine how silly the whole EoE would have been if Devens and Chris were out as soon as they came back. It’ll happen next time if they ever try it again. 
It could have been exactly the same as it was but if they'd brought Chris back two tribals earlier I don't think it would have been nearly as game-changing to have him in toward the end.  Hopefully there's more time between return and final tribal if they do this again.

Henry Ford said:
It could have been exactly the same as it was but if they'd brought Chris back two tribals earlier I don't think it would have been nearly as game-changing to have him in toward the end.  Hopefully there's more time between return and final tribal if they do this again.
I agree. He had two tribals to get through to at worst making fire to get to the final 3. That’s a way easier road than anyone else at the end, especially when they gave him an idol that got him through 1 of the 2.

It definitely taints the win if you think back to his gameplay that got him voted out. He was terrible and made a huge blunder. No way he should win after that.

The funny thing is that he’s so lucky that Devens found so many idols because I don’t think he would have found another taker to give him back the idol. Poor Devens got idol drunk and didn’t see that Chris was his only real challenger. I think he had had to save himself so many times that he was ecstatic to have those people have to vote amongst themselves that he forgot that he could have beaten them more easily.

Walking Boot said:
Next season should just be only 18 hot babes in bikinis and every challenge should involve mud and/or hot oil wrestling 
Not a bad idea.

True story.  When I was 18 (a long time ago), one of the local bars ran a Tuesday night special - all the beer you could drink in a hour and a half for $2.  Then they had female mud wrestling.  I was in high school... missed a lot of Wednesdays.

Interesting format in Survivor South Africa. Three tribes. In a few episodes, when they do the reward challenge, first place gets a better prize, second place something less, and third place nothing. Normal. But, first place at the reward challenge also gets immunity. The second and third tribes go head to head in the immunity challenge. Sometimes it's a whole other challenge the next day, sometimes just one sudden death round of the current reward challenge. 
I’m bored enough that this sounds interesting.  I’m in. 

A couple of fairly unique incidents on the most recent episode of Survivor South Africa I don't think I've seen happen before:

1) In the immunity challenge, one team tried to throw it to go to tribal on purpose. The challenge was to get a bunch of tiles and then put them into a 4x4 sliding tile puzzle. The team trying to lose was a good ways behind the team actually trying to win. The team actually trying to win put their best puzzle solver on the puzzle. Right before he started, he said, "I do these all the time on my phone in under ninety seconds. Time me!" Sure enough... he couldn't solve it. The team trying to lose stalled the best they could. The guy who wanted to throw the challenge was the 'solver', and he kept intentionally making a mess of the puzzle. So bad that another person on the team straight up asked him, "Do you actually want to win?" He stalled and pushed tiles in the wrong directions for two hours while the other team struggled to solve the tile puzzle, until they couldn't stand waiting anymore and solved it and won when they didn't want to. Turns out the team genuinely trying to win inserted their tiles into the puzzle in the wrong order and they never would have been able to solve it in the first place.

2) After that debacle, the team returns to camp to get ready for tribal. The guy on the 'bottom' of the tribe knows there's a chance he might go home. But... he has a fake idol, so, he could maybe bluff his way through it. However... in between getting back and camp and going to tribal, he decides he wants to go for a swim. With the fake idol in his pocket. Until he gets out in the water, starts actually swimming, and goes and loses the fake idol forever in the ocean :lmao:  
I have wanted to watch this but cannot find it on any streaming apps for firestick.  Where are you watching?

Watching the new season of Australian Survivor it is so much better than our version.  Really like Luke they should recruit him for our version.

oh snap a new season started?  wait Luke is on again??!?!!? 
Yea he is on again.  It is contenders vs champs part 2.  Everyone is new except for Luke.  I think he may be Australia's Boston Rob.  Most compelling story is of a contestant that survived the  tsunami she lived and her mate died.

Yes and yes. It's another season of champions VS contenders, which was an awesome format last year too. They should totally export this to the US version. Luke is back as a Survivor Champion. 

I haven't seen this season yet, because I'm watching Survivor South Africa's current season and don't want to get confused with any overlap :bag:

Which means I'll have to find time to catch up on Australia's 40 episode season before the US season starts lol 
Luke is one of my favorite players  in any format! Cant wait to watch.  How is south africa?  i watched a few episodes but didnt get too far into it?

Luke is one of my favorite players  in any format! Cant wait to watch.  How is south africa?  i watched a few episodes but didnt get too far into it?
Yea he was great last season he is one of my favorites too.  Maybe they bring him to play in our Survivor champs season after all Australia used Russell.

Users who are viewing this thread