What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Survivor Season 42: Starts Wednesday March 9, 2022 (9 Viewers)

It's good TV with great characters.  As you said Big Brother with much more physicality, drama and hookups.    Usually about 75% of the cast are returning veterans so lots of backstory dramas, relationships, backstabs, revenge driven stuff.
Any challenge show needs CT.......

Any challenge show needs CT.......
I agree, but he's almost too feared and too good at everything.   At this point he just coasts through the regular part because everyone is afraid to go up against him and then he's so well rested and healthy at the finals he dominates.

His combo of physicality and puzzle smarts is pretty amazing.  The only guy that rivals him in puzzle smarts is Devin (he's actually better), but he's not a physical threat.  He's like the Draymond Green of the Challenge.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's good TV with great characters.  As you said Big Brother with much more physicality, drama and hookups.    Usually about 75% of the cast are returning veterans so lots of backstory dramas, relationships, backstabs, revenge driven stuff.
I presume any hookups on this version will come from the Big Brother and Love Island people. All the Survivors are married and/or religious.

I presume any hookups on this version will come from the Big Brother and Love Island people. All the Survivors are married and/or religious.
Ah so there will be no MTV Real World/Road Rules people on this one?

I think it's still hosted by TJ Lavin (the MTV host) though correct?

You’re asking for a game that doesn’t exist anymore. The goat strategy has existed since season 5 and has appeared in almost every season since then.
that is a pretty broad sweeping statement I don't think that is the case at all.....it was never as bad as it has been in the last few seasons and much of that now has to do with the new direction they have been heading with the makeup of the cast....

Correct, this version is just BB/Survivor/Love Island I think.   It is still hosted by TJ.    On the actual MTV Challenge, they have been having more cast members from those shows and from the international versions of them, and I assume anyone who does good at this new version will get cast on the MTV one.  With more of the vets going to "Challenge All-Stars" MTV needs some new blood.

The Challenge show is a solid show although it’s may not be as good if the cast isn’t physical. The strong players do well in this show so for the folks that don’t like goats, The Challenge is a great show. Even if you are voted out, you have a physical challenge with a person of your choice. That means it’s not always beneficial to get rid of a stud if you have to leave the game because they chose you. There are some poor physical players but again they don’t usually last due to the choose your opponent to stay alive.

I hadn’t watched the show in many years but happened upon it either on Hulu or Paramount+ and watched the last couple seasons and it was really good. I ignored the recent reunion version because the older contestants barely finished the first challenge. One team literally almost all drowned.

I liked Omar.... though he played an amazing game.  Drea had a mean side.  I know you didn't see it..

But, apparently Omar and Drea clashed at Ponderosa
There's no question that Drea acted inappropriately at Ponderosa toward Omar. There's too much smoke to deny it. However, this video has a major inaccuracy:

"CBS censored Ponderosa." They did not. They sent the Ponderosa crew home after S41 because getting people out of Fiji at that point was difficult and anyone who wasn't essential for S42 was sent home when the S41 cast was. (There are rumors that that was also inspired by a complaint to HR but I've not seen that verified beyond speculation on Reddit.)

They have aired plenty of Ponderosas that were just as toxic, including Gabon (S17), Cagayan (S28) and Koah Rong (S32). 

Also, his assertion about when Drea shared the KIP advantage with Omar may be true, but saying "we know Drea's version is false because we saw the discussion on the show at a different point" is not a good argument, because the show airs events out of order all the time. 

So there is a case here, but it's presented very poorly. 

offdee said:
I agree, but he's almost too feared and too good at everything.   At this point he just coasts through the regular part because everyone is afraid to go up against him and then he's so well rested and healthy at the finals he dominates.

His combo of physicality and puzzle smarts is pretty amazing.  The only guy that rivals him in puzzle smarts is Devin (he's actually better), but he's not a physical threat.  He's like the Draymond Green of the Challenge.
And the opposite is Darrell who is super strong physically but puzzles(and heights) have killed him of late.  But yea CT is an absolute beast of a man. I still recall him carrying bananas on his back and throwing him into a trashcan to eliminate him 🤣

offdee said:

So the scoop is there are like 4 of these going on around the world. You have the regular one, you have the CBS one and then there are a few around the world.  Its going to be a mini tournament and they will eventually crown a winner for the entire franchise.  Im not sure if TJ is hosting all of them or not but i think he is doing the CBS one.  Its a little fuzzy because there are BB and survivor folks on both versions of the challenge.  But maybe the CBS one will be the feeder into the larger tournamant? 

BTW all stars on paramount+ is pretty sold if you do watch the challenge. 

BTW all stars on paramount+ is pretty sold if you do watch the challenge. 
Yeah, I've been curious about this latest one and if it's worth it to get Paramount + just to watch this.   The past ones I didn't care much about because it looked like the cast was a bunch of old and ugly B Team people.  But I see this latest season has Wes on it, who is always entertaining.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I've been curious about this latest one and if it's worth it to get Paramount + just to watch this.   The past ones I didn't care much about because it looked like the cast was a bunch of old and ugly B Team people.  But I see this latest season has Wes on it, who is always entertaining.
it has some very solid competitors.  Brad, Darrell, Derrick, Wes, MJ, Mark, Jordan, Yes, etc.  There are some older folks but generally they come in great shape.  Also on P+ the can curse.  which is fun. 

it has some very solid competitors.  Brad, Darrell, Derrick, Wes, MJ, Mark, Jordan, Yes, etc.  There are some older folks but generally they come in great shape.  Also on P+ the can curse.  which is fun. 
Ah yes, Jordan too.   May need to check that out.

I liked Omar.... though he played an amazing game.  Drea had a mean side.  I know you didn't see it..

But, apparently Omar and Drea clashed at Ponderosa

There's no question that Drea acted inappropriately at Ponderosa toward Omar. There's too much smoke to deny it.

I was only able to make it through half of that video, as that guy was making such a horribly disjointed case that it was a brutal listen.  Maybe I just didn't have enough background on what he was talking about to make heads or tails of it. 

But given what you both have said,  it seems like my impression of Drea must have been wrong.  I'm a huge fan of Omar, so these actions disturb me.  I'll have to read more about it, but I suspect I'll agree with you guys that Drea wasn't (isn't?) such a great person at all.  Thanks for posting about that.

I was only able to make it through half of that video, as that guy was making such a horribly disjointed case that it was a brutal listen.  Maybe I just didn't have enough background on what he was talking about to make heads or tails of it. 

But given what you both have said,  it seems like my impression of Drea must have been wrong.  I'm a huge fan of Omar, so these actions disturb me.  I'll have to read more about it, but I suspect I'll agree with you guys that Drea wasn't (isn't?) such a great person at all.  Thanks for posting about that.
I said what I said based on Omar’s exit interviews before the now-removed deep dive, and based on reports on Reddit of people who have heard about it from those involved. This particular video was hot garbage. Someone needs to educate this guy on how to make a video that is not painful to watch/listen to. 

My boss who is a huge fan of Survivor is also a huge fan of The Challenge. It’ll be interesting to see what she thinks about the CBS version vis a vis the MTV version.
Will be interesting to see how it plays out with no vets.  In the last few seasons where they have brought in more rookies it has always turned into the vets trying to get rookies onto their side, and some of the rookies already have favorites or know how people act from watching the show.  Will the different shows immediately form an alliance?  In the MTV they already have a BB alliance, althought that is used very lightly.

Oh absolutely.  No doubt some of those guys are on roids.  
No doubt the roids were more prevalent in earlier seasons.  CT wanting to eat Adam's head for example.   They have also gotten rid of the bad apples that made for good/bad television (Kenny and Evan, Camila, Bear for example).

survivor south africa started 
its all returnees 
I watched it in the facebook group : the tribe has spoken 

the twist is something that i havent seen anywhere before and i think it could be great  

have been happily watching the Aussie episodes through it. totally worth watching the rest of those you haven't gotten to yet- some incredible players and lots of fun play.
Australian Survivor is great.  I think we've watched three seasons so far. 
My biggest problem with it is I can't understand half of what they say!
I have a neighbor that is Australian and I mentioned it to him, and he said that he has to slow his speaking down so people here can understand him.

I see a South African version mentioned, I will have to see if I can find that too.

I love Australian Survivor, had no idea there was a South African version. How is it overall? 

Somewhere between the two, they don't play quite as hard as the Australians but seem into it more than the US. The current season is all returning players (one tribe of all pre-merge boots, another tribe of post-merge-but-not-finalists (aka jury members)). Overall a lot of good dynamics and play as they all know what they're doing.

Controversy from the last episode as the immunity challenge was the "giant balls in the mud pit" (aka Bog Roll/Boulder Smash) that is brutal on the players... it's been banned in the US version ever since S25 where the two tribes decided to forfeit rather than finish it after an hour-long stalemate. The South Africans went hard and the episode ended on a cliffhanger as multiple players might need to be medi-vac'd out. 

Anyone caught up with Survivor South Africa? Wild 7th episode, not for the squeamish. 
yeah i caught up today 
they dropped like flies ,  there is no way the challenge happens again 

its been a decent season so far , i dont have a favorite yet 

spoiler

i did like on how 2 players thought ahead and stashed fake idols at tribal 

I thought the South Africa season was very good
i really like how its on a few nights a week , you really get to know the players and see the gameplay
watched it on facebook

I thought the South Africa season was very good
i really like how its on a few nights a week , you really get to know the players and see the gameplay
watched it on facebook

Yeah, although it had that awful "everyone gets hurt" challenge early on, after that, it settled into a good season. Now I'm on pause until the next US season starts.

Random news in the Survivor world, the BBC is going to launch their own version next year, expected to be 16 episodes (short for Survivor, long for a British series). So soon we'll have Survivor UK as another English-language version to satiate us between US seasons.

Users who are viewing this thread