What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Survivor Season 42: Starts Wednesday March 9, 2022 (8 Viewers)

Edge of extinction wasn't a horrendous idea in theory but they should have reset after the first return (not giving the losers 2 chances)and not brought the last person back so late.

Kudos to Chris for swinging for the fences giving up the idol but I still think getting to sit out the gameplay for a month (albeit in terrible conditions) is a big advantage to some extent

i do like that they try new things.  I think this idea wasn't great.  Or at least people shouldn't come back that close to the end.  Maybe a tweak and have there be a game on EoE as well where there are competitions and people get voted out.  So if you get back in you really had to go through some #### other than just chillin on the island for 20 days and winning one comp.

Dinsy Ejotuz said:
The people who were IN the game and the people who respected the game voted Gavin.
A few aspects of EofE that make it not work so well IMHO:

1) We didn't get to see much of the Edge at all.  They made it sound so hard, but we didn't get to see why.  It wasn't like there was that much more food at the main camp.  It's a lot easier to be cool with other people when you remove the threat of them playing you, or having to go through the stress of tribal councils and the constant reminders of where you rank compared to others, so of course they all get along. 

2) This one speaks more directly to Dinsy's post.  The major knock against Chris was that he was kicked out and didn't have to play the main game for so long before re-entering so late.  But picture yourself as one of the other people on EofE, constantly imagining getting yourself back in the game and getting to the final 3 and hoping that your jury wouldn't hold your stay on EofE against you.  I imagine then you would feel pretty guilty holding it against the player that actually did get there.  Add that in with the easy social bonding you've been able to share and with so many of those people on the jury, it's no wonder Chris got so many of those votes.  They should have either made the EofE part shorter or not allowed so many early exits on the jury.

3) People complain about a "winner's edit" but it's much better than a "winner not even really on the show for half the season."

Season was fine, Rick will be back for an all star season hopefully. Chris' move took balls, I'd have a tough time voting for someone that had been out of the game for so long though. Gavin would have received my vote. Was a pretty weak final three. 

Wendy might be the winner of the "cleaned up the best at finale" award . Victoria still my favorite though :ginger:  :wub:  

Both Boston Rob and Sandra looked old and fat. Not sure they can teach anybody anything though.

Sandra:  "Vote against anyone that the most people are voting for."

Boston Rob:  "Just keep coming back until they give you a bunch of players who are starstruck by you." 

I liked the season.  It wasn’t perfect and Chris out of the game so long sucked, but it was a great move at the end. Devens was great but there is no way you can give him the idol near the end. Everyone else was a goat. I did feel bad for him.  Him planting 2 fake idols was awesome. 

Agree with most of what is posted here.

Average season ruined by "Edge of Extinction" returning a player so late.  Jury members who should have been out of the game weeks ago.  Was really hoping that Devins was going to win the fire making challenge, after that what a terrible final 3.  Julie thinking she had a shot, no votes with all those jury members.

But after all of that, Boston Rob and Sandra  :sadbanana:

Go away, man that is terrible.  Statues... :wall:   I've watched every episode of every season and I am seriously thinking about not watching the next season.  I'd rather bring back all the players that quit than these 2 in any capacity.  Damn. 

Terrible ending. Chris getting an idol at 5 left (couldn’t use it at 6) was huge and having him hang out with the jury almost the entire season was laughable. I’m pretty sure that the producers wanted to get the voted off person in the final 3 no matter what to see what happens and hopefully make a Survivor first.

Whoever saying above that Reem getting a jury vote was a joke is right. Comical that the person voted off first got so much screen time and time at the reunion. She was an awful player and person and yet she got as much time as the winner. The first off is the person at the reunion you glance at and then remember oh yeah they were on the show. 

By the way Aurora cleaned up the best, not Wendy. I might have to say she looked the best overall. Victoria and Lauren looked great but Aurora might have looked better. 

It was obvious halfway into the season that the winner was going to be the person who returned at 6 due to  a no winners edit. Devine was getting a to much in the face edit to be the winner. Joe, Aubrey and David hopefully never return after voting for Chris. 

Hated the final challenge/TC at first but do respect Chris' approach.  He only played the hand he was dealt and while most everyone else that would have come back in would have kept the immunity necklace and took their chances, he made the most logical and best move he could have made by giving up immunity to earn his spot against Devens.  

Also his Jedi mind trick on Lauren was brilliant.  One of the dumbest things I've ever seen on the show was her giving her HII to him when she had one more TC to use it.  So stupid.  

I don't like that someone from edge came back and won.  Sort of anti-climactic, but Chris didn't make the rules and he played the hand that he was dealt flawlessly.  

I thought maybe the person getting back into the game would have some sort of disadvantage at the challenge, as in a time delay entry/beginning or something.  Never thought they'd just hand them an immunity idol at re-entry.  Geez, that was dumb.  But Devens should have just let the others vote out Chris.  Came back to haunt him.  

Mediocre season but it did have some nice moments, thanks mostly to Devens and the inept Wardog.  

Victoria looked great at the last couple of TCs but fell off a little at the reunion, imo.  Makeup did wonders for Aurora.  Thought Lauren might have looked better on the island.  

Agree that Jeff Probst looked old last night.  But 20 years ages all of us.  

Also agree that they should have cut down the jury.  No way the first person voted off the show should be on the jury.  

Boston Rob and Sandra  :X    :thumbdown:

Was hoping to never see Sandra out there again.  And how are they going to mentor anyone on this game?  The game has changed since they've been on.  Especially Rob.  CBS just handed him a hand-picked cast for him to cruise to a win.  

Sandra's game was to annoy and inexplicably avoid getting voted out.  She always was on the side of the numbers, IIRC.  I would almost rather see them play than mentor because that means they will have tons of air time with all the players.   :no: :thumbdown:

Whose brilliant idea was this?  

This season showed again how the game evolves.  Players like Joe, Ozzy and Devens will never win.  Win lots of challenges and/or find idols and you are playing too good.  Guaranteed loss.  Hiding in the wings doesn't work anymore.  

This game takes a ton of luck and being in the right place at the right time.  Have to have a balance of being good at challenges and the social game... but not too good at either. 

The old saying is true, especially in this game... sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.  

Was hoping to never see Sandra out there again.  And how are they going to mentor anyone on this game?  The game has changed since they've been on.  Especially Rob.  CBS just handed him a hand-picked cast for him to cruise to a win.  

Sandra's game was to annoy and inexplicably avoid getting voted out.  She always was on the side of the numbers, IIRC.  I would almost rather see them play than mentor because that means they will have tons of air time with all the players.   :no: :thumbdown:

This season showed again how the game evolves.  Players like Joe, Ozzy and Devens will never win.  Win lots of challenges and/or find idols and you are playing too good.  Guaranteed loss.  Hiding in the wings doesn't work anymore.  

This game takes a ton of luck and being in the right place at the right time.  Have to have a balance of being good at challenges and the social game... but not too good at either. 

The old saying is true, especially in this game... sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.  
I'd rather see Brian Heidik come back than these 2 and that's saying something.  At least he won his first season playing.

By the way Aurora cleaned up the best, not Wendy. I might have to say she looked the best overall. Victoria and Lauren looked great but Aurora might have looked better. 
Aurora seems like a bitter woman though...telling them to "Give him outta here" about Devins after she was voted out.

Good news for you is they will probably be on the next two seasons. 

Bottom line is the best player if they can last has to win the final immunity to assure a spot at the end.

The game Survivor is not about who is the best player at the total game as being a nobody, non threat can take you to the end.  They need to do an All-Star Survivor where all the players are good at challenges and have physical ability.  Now they always bring in a few men and women who have zero physical tools to compete and they are always around at the end even though they basically do nothing. 

Victoria looked great at the last couple of TCs but fell off a little at the reunion, imo.  Makeup did wonders for Aurora.  Thought Lauren might have looked better on the island.  

Agree that Jeff Probst looked old last night.  But 20 years ages all of us.  

Also agree that they should have cut down the jury.  No way the first person voted off the show should be on the jury.  
Jeff is going to be 59 this year so he is not a spring chicken anymore.  Plus he used a shade too dark of hair color for the reunion show that made his face look older.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeff is going to be 59 this year so he is not spring chicken anymore.  Plus he used a shade too dark of hair color for the reunion show that made his face look older.
The fact that they don't allow him to wear sunglasses has forced him to constantly squint and my guess have some serious "work" done on that area. 

Going back ten years or whatever to Exile Island and all those shows... usually a person booted out who wins their way back in gets something to make it at least interesting and not immediately be turned around and voted right back out. It used to be a regular idol, now, first Devens and then Chris got the half-idol that has to be split and then re-formed for the next tribal.
if you weren't paying attention you would have missed them even introducing that idol....IMO that was a huge part of the game and why Chris won.....yet all they do is a 2 second flashback with an "earlier today"  tag on it.....allowed an opportunity to get back in the game is one thing.....but to then give that player the most powerful piece of of the game seems WAYYYY over the top IMO.....the player getting back in should not be given an automatic pass into the next round....while you may think the returning player is at a huge disadvantage without it, thats the way it should be....but in reality that player is walking in with a lot of power...the 5 that are left are in position to start taking each other out and introducing "fresh meat" back into the games gives them someone they can use....I don't think it is a guarantee that the returning player is immediately voted back out....no need to give the returning player an idol.....IMO it was completely unfair....

worst ending ever....I 'll give it to Chris for a ballsy "I wanna take the last shot" move....but Devens clearly deserved to win this season...at least he got 100K..this is not the Survivor we grew to love....I think they are getting too gimmicky with some of the things/plots/twists that they are introducing to the the game....I miss the some of the old basic at the core type of stuff that made Survivor such a great concept 20 years ago or whatever...

Bottom line is the best player if they can last has to win the final immunity to assure a spot at the end.

The game Survivor is not about who is the best player at the total game as being a nobody, non threat can take you to the end.  They need to do an All-Star Survivor where all the players are good at challenges and have physical ability.  Now they always bring in a few men and women who have zero physical tools to compete and they are always around at the end even though they basically do nothing. 
The good thing is times have changed a little lately and the 'nobody, non threat' player, while still makes the finals, rarely wins anymore.  I don't think juries in the last few seasons have been as bitter as previous seasons.  They haven't typically rewarded goats that are carried to the end.  Certainly not like when Tina beat Colby.  

You're right that the good player has to win that last immunity challenge... or get to final four and win the fire challenge.  But they are constantly a target to get out after the merge.  

I'd like to see an all-star season where there are no goats.  Would be interesting to see how that plays out.  But, imo, they certainly should stop bringing back returning players to play with new contestants.  If returning, then all should be returning.  Otherwise, give us all new people to like or dislike.  

if you weren't paying attention you would have missed them even introducing that idol....IMO that was a huge part of the game and why Chris won.....yet all they do is a 2 second flashback with an "earlier today"  tag on it.....allowed an opportunity to get back in the game is one thing.....but to then give that player the most powerful piece of of the game seems WAYYYY over the top IMO.....the player getting back in should not be given an automatic pass into the next round....while you may think the returning player is at a huge disadvantage without it, thats the way it should be....but in reality that player is walking in with a lot of power...the 5 that are left are in position to start taking each other out and introducing "fresh meat" back into the games gives them someone they can use....I don't think it is a guarantee that the returning player is immediately voted back out....no need to give the returning player an idol.....IMO it was completely unfair....

worst ending ever....I 'll give it to Chris for a ballsy "I wanna take the last shot" move....but Devens clearly deserved to win this season...at least he got 100K..this is not the Survivor we grew to love....I think they are getting too gimmicky with some of the things/plots/twists that they are introducing to the the game....I miss the some of the old basic at the core type of stuff that made Survivor such a great concept 20 years ago or whatever...
It wasn't a complete idol.  He had to give half of it away AND make it through the first tribal he was back for in order to even have a chance to use the idol.  Plus he needed Devens to give him back the second half.  Devens could have said screw you and kept his half and it wouldn't have done him any good.  Although it was an advantage it wasn't a straight "I have an idol and can't be voted out" advantage.  He had to give it to the right person to trust to give him the half back and get through the first tribal without it. 

The good thing is times have changed a little lately and the 'nobody, non threat' player, while still makes the finals, rarely wins anymore.  I don't think juries in the last few seasons have been as bitter as previous seasons.  They haven't typically rewarded goats that are carried to the end.  Certainly not like when Tina beat Colby.  

You're right that the good player has to win that last immunity challenge... or get to final four and win the fire challenge.  But they are constantly a target to get out after the merge.  

I'd like to see an all-star season where there are no goats.  Would be interesting to see how that plays out.  But, imo, they certainly should stop bringing back returning players to play with new contestants.  If returning, then all should be returning.  Otherwise, give us all new people to like or dislike.  
How Sandra won twice is beyond comprehension.  First of all I would vote out any previous winner first week. 

It wasn't a complete idol.  He had to give half of it away AND make it through the first tribal he was back for in order to even have a chance to use the idol.  Plus he needed Devens to give him back the second half.  Devens could have said screw you and kept his half and it wouldn't have done him any good.  Although it was an advantage it wasn't a straight "I have an idol and can't be voted out" advantage.  He had to give it to the right person to trust to give him the half back and get through the first tribal without it. 
This is why I don't have a problem with Chris winning.  Everything he tried after re-entry paid off.  His manipulation of Lauren, in that short of time, might have been the single greatest coup this season.  Bet she still wakes up wondering why and how that happened.  

Aurora seems like a bitter woman though...telling them to "Give him outta here" about Devins after she was voted out.
I think she’s just a competitor at heart and she’s definitely got some issues around not making personal connections with her childhood.

She seems like she’d be pretty fiercely loyal and possibly very bitter on a breakup!

Either way, she kind of grew on me after hearing about her past and how she was pretty much ignored by others. I think she jumped on the Joe bandwagon too soon and that kind of put her there, but she was a beast at challenges and she looked damn good at the reunion show. I’d probably say she looked the best. 

Here is the one flaw in Survivor as a competition: If you are too good at the game, you have to win the final immunity challenge or win the fire making contest to be able to win the game. It's comparable to a dominant sports team being better than all the other teams for a season, but they have to win the final game of the season to get into the playoffs even though they have a far superior record. You don't get credit for how dominant you were for 99% of the game/season. Now some would argue that you know this is the game when you start so your strategy should be downplaying your dominance. But that is extemely hard to do, especially for someone who is a great competitor, which us Americans tend to like.

Lauren blew her chance by using her idol on Chris. Devens blew his chance by giving Chris half the idol. Chris played the hand he was dealt extremely well and won because of the unremarkable games played by Gavin and Julie (even if they didn't get voted out).

Survivor should not allow players back in the game at all, but definitely not so late. And giving an idol to returning players is also a bad idea. They were allowed back in the game, why should that get a reward for being voted off in the first place?

I couldn't agree more. 

Let's take the two of the most obnoxious game show players in history and glorify them every week????  :X

I'll pass on the whole season.

Dinsy Ejotuz said:
The people who were IN the game and the people who respected the game voted Gavin.
My thoughts exactly.. Really BAD idea to let someone spend more then half the show spend their time not having to do challenges, or worry about getting voted off get back in the game with such a short period of time. Having Devins win his way back in earlier was fine.. But that should have been it...

As Gavin stated, he and Julie were truly disadvantaged with that, and it was proven by the vote... Those on the Island voted for Chris as a representative of themselves... One of the most undeserving winners in quite some time..

Producers and Jeff should all be wearing :bag:  

The fact that they don't allow him to wear sunglasses has forced him to constantly squint and my guess have some serious "work" done on that area. 
Huh?  You do realize that 95% of Jeff's time on that island is not on camera during the day right?   I'm sure he has plenty of allowed sunglass wearing time on his hands.

This was worse than Redemption Island and a cast of idiots clearing out of Rob's way as if he were a Make a Wish kid that wanted to score a touchdown.

Here is the one flaw in Survivor as a competition: If you are too good at the game, you have to win the final immunity challenge or win the fire making contest to be able to win the game. It's comparable to a dominant sports team being better than all the other teams for a season, but they have to win the final game of the season to get into the playoffs even though they have a far superior record. You don't get credit for how dominant you were for 99% of the game/season.
Maybe they should make a rule that if you win 6 individual immunity challenges you get a bye into the final 3.

Now that I think about it, a second player coming back that late was terrible.  

Aubry, Chris and Reem not only got one chance to come back after being voted out, but a second chance to return at final 6.  What a joke.  Giving players a chance this late was bad enough but giving players 2 chances, just ridiculous.  

Pretty good article by Fishbach

https://people.com/tv/chris-underwood-wins-survivor-edge-of-extinction/

Liked this part in particular:

In a shocking finale, Survivor just awarded a win to a guy who barely played Survivor.

Sales manager Chris Underwood was the third person voted out of the game, when his allies turned on him at Manu. After 28 days on the Edge of Extinction, he fought his way back, won the million dollar prize and title of Sole Survivor, and most importantly, takes home the Final Fishy.

On paper, it seems impossible, even insulting. The signature challenge of Survivor is how do you vote people out of the game, in such a way that they’re willing to vote for you to win. Chris didn’t have to do any of that. Rather than having to betray his tribemates, Chris spent a month feeding them, healing wounds and building bonds. And what does that mean about the past 10 episodes of the show? Were they all just a pointless waiting room for Chris’ march to victory?

Chris’s moves were baller when he got back in. Lauren was exceptional viewing and Devins entertaining. Other than that a completely forgettable season.

As for Rob and Sandra, they should start out the season with a stocked camp. If their mentee gets voted out the other should get to remove something from their camp. Tarp? Gone. Chickens?  Goodbye. If they aren’t going to suffer in some way I don’t really want to watch. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Huh?  You do realize that 95% of Jeff's time on that island is not on camera during the day right?   I'm sure he has plenty of allowed sunglass wearing time on his hands.
In the early seasons he wore them all the time. Do you think these challenges and filming only take 20 minutes a day out in the sun??

Lauren was my kid brother neighbor at Baylor.  He said she wasnt a friendly but was the hottest of her roomates.

Users who are viewing this thread