What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Chris Carson, SEA - 10.7.21 - Neck Issue (3 Viewers)

Chris Carson rushed 22 times for 119 yards and one touchdown and caught 6-of-6 targets for 29 yards in the Seahawks' Week 15 overtime loss to the 49ers.

Carson was featured as a runner once again, but he also set career highs in targets and receptions with the Seahawks trailing at half. Entering the game, Carson only had 13 receptions across 11 games, so this will likely end up being an outlier performance, but it is notable that the Seahawks could be in similar game script as they were this week with the high-flying Chiefs coming to town. With Carson gobbling up 15-20 carries per week, he will an upside RB2 in Week 16.
This guy keep getting lots of carries and bull-rushing people. I said earlier in the year I'm surprised he doesn't get receptions because he's a decent pass-catcher. These kind of games zoom his stock from upside RB2 right into the stratos of legit RB1.

A little concerned about Carson this week.

- Does Penny come back and make this a 3 man rotation again?

- Does the flow of the game keep him sidelined? Current over/under is about 54 with the Chiefs -2.5. I understand they want to run against that bad run defense and play ball control, but if they fall behind, Carson could be a huge bust.

A little concerned about Carson this week.

- Does Penny come back and make this a 3 man rotation again?

- Does the flow of the game keep him sidelined? Current over/under is about 54 with the Chiefs -2.5. I understand they want to run against that bad run defense and play ball control, but if they fall behind, Carson could be a huge bust.
Not concerned about either issue.

Even when Penny was playing, Carson was rolling. I don't think a gimpy Penny is going to steal too many carries considering how dominant Carson has been, especially around the goal line. And we won't know until Wednesday but I have a feeling Penny isn't going to play anyway.

Regarding the second point, KC is 26th against the run and has given up 160 per game in their last three. Not to mention they haven't been lighting up the scoreboard the same way since they lost Watkins and Hunt. The Chiefs will be playing this game in the toughest stadium against the team most committed to running (with the exception of Baltimore now that Jackson is the guy). I have a hard time seeing the Chiefs building a big lead - they may not get the lead at all. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Not concerned about either issue.

Even when Penny was playing, Carson was rolling. I don't think a gimpy Penny is going to steal too many carries considering how dominant Carson has been, especially around the goal line. And we won't know until Wednesday but I have a feeling Penny isn't going to play anyway.

Regarding the second point, KC is 26th against the run and has given up 160 per game in their last three. Not to mention they haven't been lighting up the scoreboard the same way since they lost Watkins and Hunt. The Chiefs will be playing this game in the toughest stadium against the team most committed to running (with the exception of Baltimore now that Jackson is the guy). I have a hard time seeing the Chiefs building a big lead - they may not get the lead at all. 

Starting Carson 
I am too.

Mahomes has passed far harder tests than Seattle. Baltimore, Denver (when they had Chris Harris Jr.), Chargers 1st game, you name it. I hope Seattle can score TDs to keep the game close because I need Carson's 75-95 yards and a TD plz.

I am not seeing the usage for Carson today that would justify the very high rankings I'm seeing for him everywhere. I'm actually contemplating using J. Richard instead. Am I off base here? Or Hyde?

Chris Carson - RB -  Seahawks

Chris Carson rushed 13 times for 20 yards in Seattle's Wild Card loss to the Cowboys.

Carson's sophomore campaign needs to be remembered for its breakout rather than it's final outing. Initially thought to be a castoff following the selection of rookie Rashaad Penny in the first round, Carson out-performed Penny, Mike Davis, and even C.J. Prosise in the preseason in order to move up the depth chart and notch the first 1,000-yard season (including nine touchdowns) in his young career. Carson was Seattle's workhorse when healthy, even doubling-up Davis in carries (247 to 1112). Given coach Pete Carroll's and OC Brian Schottenheimer's stubborn approach in running the ball incessantly, Carson likely won't come with a discount as a guaranteed 20-touch back in 2019. He'll still be a confident mid-round selection.

Jan 6 - 1:06 AM

Kiddnets said:
Tough way to end the year - If Penny is healthy the days of Carson dominating touches are over IMO
Disagree.

Guy ran with force all season. He is the pound it down your throat guy this offense thrives on. 

He had absolutely nowhere to go yesterday, guy was running into walls all day, Gurley couldn’t have done anything with what he had to work with.

Kiddnets said:
Tough way to end the year - If Penny is healthy the days of Carson dominating touches are over IMO
Predictable play calling leads to running back struggling in game against good rush defense. Your conclusion: Carson is bad.

Predictable play calling leads to running back struggling in game against good rush defense. Your conclusion: Carson is bad.
nothing to do with yesterday - I dont think Carson is bad at all - you are correct on just a bad game....Im looking more long term outlook.....they sunk a 1st rd pick on this kid and he showed flashes....wasnt his year as he was banged up and took a while to find his groove...my point was I think this is a RBBC next yr with both rotating touches rather than Carson 20 - carries with 3-5 for Penny...

Guy was 5th in the NFL in rushing. Can someone tell me what his YAC was? I suspect top 5 amongst RBs. 

I agree Penny will be in the mix, but this guy can play. 

fantasycurse42 said:
Guy was 5th in the NFL in rushing. Can someone tell me what his YAC was? I suspect top 5 amongst RBs. 

I agree Penny will be in the mix, but this guy can play. 
Yea I think I am going to try and buy him this offseason when the inevitable Penny offseason hype starts taking off. 

Curious why people think Penny will take over. It was pretty clear that Carson was the better player all year and not sure it was all that close.  Carson does come with the injury risk so Penny will get his shot at some point.  Fyi I own neither guy.

Carson is the real deal and fits in with what the seahawks want to do.  I dont see him going away or becoming the lesser part of this backfield.  

His one yard TD against the 49ers on 4th and goal might’ve been the greatest 1 yard TD run I’ve ever seen.

He’s a beast. I have nothing invested here, but he ran with a purpose this year, don’t see why he takes a backseat to anyone. Maybe Penny gets more involved, but Carson isn’t going to be relegated to irrelevant.

I am a huge Penny fanboy and heavily invested, and not even I can figure out a way to justify this statement.  What leads you to this?
I never said Carson would be irrelevant or worthless...I said the days of him dominating touches such as 25 -5 over Penny are over IMO....they did not invest a 1st rd pick on this kid to give him 5 carries per game...I see more of a RBBC split next year.  

I never said Carson would be irrelevant or worthless...I said the days of him dominating touches such as 25 -5 over Penny are over IMO....they did not invest a 1st rd pick on this kid to give him 5 carries per game...I see more of a RBBC split next year.  
People say this every year with Carroll run teams. Trust me, he doesn't care where they are drafted. I've seen this argument since we "paid" Flynn and there was no way a 3rd round rookie was going to beat him out.  Yeah, they started Wilson.

That argument carries very little weight and especially so with Seattle. They made a mistake in the draft, why make it worse?

Kiddnets said:
Very reasonable to project a RBBC. They compliment each other well.

Speaking Tuesday, Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said Chris Carson "had a little work done" on his knee but is expected to resume practicing in a few weeks.

Carroll was otherwise vague on details, like when Carson went under the knife. Carson has a rather lengthy injury history for only being in the league two years, but this is the first time he has been listed with his knee. Carroll seemed confident he would be ready for training camp. It is information to file away as you ponder best-ball fliers on Rashaad Penny.

SOURCE: John Boyle on Twitter

May 21, 2019, 4:42 PM ET

Updating a previous item, Chris Carson (knee) went through 11-on-11 drills on Thursday.

It was reported earlier that he wasn't ready for practice today, but he's out there and took the first handoff of the 11-on-11 drills. Carson was sidelined from his offseason training program due to his minor spring procedure, and this is his first work since that surgery. He figures to be the lead dog in a one-two punch with Rashaad Penny, but there should be plenty of carries to go around in one of the league's run-heaviest offenses. Carson is being overlooked at his current RB24 ADP.

SOURCE: Brady Henderson on Twitter

Jul 25, 2019, 2:30 PM ET

Chris Carson (knee) confirmed he's 100% healthy entering training camp.

Carson had a "minor" cleanup scope on his knee in the offseason but was never expected to be facing a lengthy recovery. Players have scopes all the time. Despite sitting out spring work, Carson took the first reps in the backfield in team drills when the Seahawks opened camp on Thursday. He's ready to roll after exploding for 1,151 yards a year ago while dominating in yards after contact. Carson will be difficult to unseat atop the depth chart, barring an injury.

SOURCE: Adam Jude on Twitter

Jul 26, 2019, 9:52 AM ET

Why is this guy going so low...?

SEA RB’s combined for 500+ touches in 2018.  One of those RB’s is gone.  Isn’t there enough for both Carson/Penny to eat?

Joe Mixon 2018: 1464 YFS/9 TD’s - FFC non-PPR ADP: RB9 Overall 12

Chris Carson 2018: 1314 YFS/9 TD’s - FFC non-PPR ADP: RB25 Overall 45

Why is this guy going so low...?

SEA RB’s combined for 500+ touches in 2018.  One of those RB’s is gone.  Isn’t there enough for both Carson/Penny to eat?

Joe Mixon 2018: 1464 YFS/9 TD’s - FFC non-PPR ADP: RB9 Overall 12

Chris Carson 2018: 1314 YFS/9 TD’s - FFC non-PPR ADP: RB25 Overall 45
Because he's Thomas Rawls 2.0 :)

Thomas Rawls 2016 ADP was 43 after he rushed for over 800 yards and 4 TDs in 7 starts.

It's a bit of a lazy comparison, but we've seen Seattle move on very quickly from an often-injured RB who was successful for them the previous year and was entering the season as the pencilled-in starter.

Because he's Thomas Rawls 2.0 :)

Thomas Rawls 2016 ADP was 43 after he rushed for over 800 yards and 4 TDs in 7 starts.

It's a bit of a lazy comparison, but we've seen Seattle move on very quickly from an often-injured RB who was successful for them the previous year and was entering the season as the pencilled-in starter.
...and was coming off a badly broken leg.  Besides Rawls, who else did they move on from?  A heavy Eddie Lacy?  Knucklehead Christine Michael?

Don’t get me wrong...I’m happy for your narrative to take hold of the FF community, but I don’t think your examples hold water.

...and was coming off a badly broken leg.  Besides Rawls, who else did they move on from?  A heavy Eddie Lacy?  Knucklehead Christine Michael?

Don’t get me wrong...I’m happy for your narrative to take hold of the FF community, but I don’t think your examples hold water.
I only gave one example :)  

Seattle isn't afraid to move on from anyone though - they've shown that many times and it is their MO and they will move on from much more important players than RB.  It was reported that they offered to trade a 2nd round pick to get Jacoby Brissett before the Wilson contract was signed, which seems like writing on the wall that they were even willing to move on from their superstar QB.  

I think my narrative is already out there... that's why Carson is going "late" I would imagine.  I think he's a massive risk in the early 4th round and wouldn't touch him.  I'll touch him even less in Dynasty.

Users who are viewing this thread