What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Chris Carson, SEA - 10.7.21 - Neck Issue (3 Viewers)

I would like to know if this is accurate.  I don't see it anywhere.  If it is true I could drop Collins tomorrow.

Not sure that's wise. He had this injury before season started IRC, and he "planned" to practice and play every week through it. I don't know if its a situation where his plans provide any clarity because obviously, as a player, you don't want to give up and say your career is over even if its true.

I think this at least gives you a reason to hold Carson for week 10 if you can. But doesn't necessarily mean he's back for sure.

Caveat: I could be biased because I dropped him and don't want him to come back.

Link to this? 

I have not seen this quote anywhere.

On the verge of dropping Carson too and I think many just did.
I said in my post, per ESPN.....they discussed it. No link as far as I can find but it was reported on ESPN and if you have an ESPN fantasy football league and you click on Carson's name, you can see they've added that exact quote under his profile so it seems legit.

Pete Carroll is notoriously optimistic, so I would not take this as confirmation that Carson is really good to go.  This is the kind of injury that could linger for months or years, or finally clear up tomorrow.  At least until he gets hit again.

Pete Carroll is notoriously optimistic, so I would not take this as confirmation that Carson is really good to go.  This is the kind of injury that could linger for months or years, or finally clear up tomorrow.  At least until he gets hit again.
He has been very pessimistic about Carson recently. This is good news.

Isn't this what Carson is saying vs Pete Carrol?

Chris Carson plans on practicing when Seattle comes back from the bye and intends to play against the Packers, Pete Carroll says on radio just now.

So this is just what the player wants vs what Pete Carroll thinks? Not sure if that makes much of a difference...

Last edited by a moderator:
Coach Pete Carroll said Wednesday that Carson (neck) plans to resume practicing and retake the field Week 10, after Seattle's bye, Michael-Shawn Dugar of The Athletic reports.

Per ESPN
so it could be career ending or he could play next week...    :confused:

so it could be career ending or he could play next week...    :confused:
Actually, that is an accurate assessment of the situation. 

The Fantasy Doctors on youtube had a good video describing the issue if you want to look for it.  If it's a swollen disk that is pinching the nerve, and the swelling goes down a very little bit, bingo he can start playing again.  If it doesn't ever go down, career over (unless surgery is an option, but if surgery then his season would certainly be over, even if not career ending).

CHRIS CARSONRB, SEATTLE SEAHAWKS

Speaking Monday, coach Pete Carroll said Chris Carson (neck, I.R.) "will be on the field" Wednesday.

Whether that means he'll practice, we're not sure. But Carson has stated he wants to practice this coming week. Carroll says they'll take it "one day at a time." Overall, it doesn't sound totally promising, but it's progress at least. Carson hasn't played since Week 4.

SOURCE: Bob Condotta on Twitter

Seahawks RB Chris Carson (neck) is a game-time decision for Week 10 against the Packers.

Seattle could choose to hold Carson out for one more week if he's drastically sore and not yet ready to go on Saturday afternoon, the deadline to activate him from injured reserve. Although coach Pete Carroll has been optimistic regarding Carson's status, fantasy managers should not trust the latter as anything more than a risky RB3 in Week 10 if active.

SOURCE: Corbin Smith on Twitter

Nov 12, 2021, 3:40 PM ET

Seahawks RB Chris Carson (neck) won't play in Week 10 against the Packers.

"We don't feel like it's time yet, so we're gonna keep him out," Carroll continued after Carson failed to practice on Friday. Ever the optimist, Carroll's words should not be spun as a lock for Carson to return from injured reserve in Week 11, either. The team will continue using a backfield rotation in place of Carson featuring Alex Collins and Rashaad Penny on early downs and Travis Homer and DeeJay Dallas in the receiving game. None are enticing options since all will play.

RELATED: 

Rashaad Penny

, Alex Collins

SOURCE: Mike Dugar on Twitter

Nov 12, 2021, 5:19 PM ET

Speaking Monday, coach Pete Carroll said the team will "revisit" Chris Carson's (neck, I.R.) situation Wednesday.

Per Seattle beat writers on scene, Carroll didn't cast an optimistic tone. Carson returned to practice last Wednesday but still wasn't cleared to play Week 10 against the Packers, missing his fifth straight game. Neck issues can be tricky, and there had already been worry that Carson could miss the rest of the season. Fantasy players need to not be banking on a return for Carson and view it more as a bonus if it happens.

SOURCE: Bob Condotta on Twitter

Nov 15, 2021, 6:35 PM ET

Chris Carson (neck) is not practicing Wednesday.

It's a setback after Carson returned to the practice field last week before failing to get cleared to play against the Packers. It sure sounds like Carson isn't going to be playing anytime soon. In what's sort of already a lost season for the Seahawks, the team could choose to shut Carson down.

Nov 17, 2021, 3:55 PM ET

I don't think he'll play this year (based on nothing but my guess).

Yeah, I wish they'd just pull the plug if that's the case.

I"m still holding and can afford to. If suddenly Carson gets up and going prior to the fantasy playoffs he's the best stash you can have.

I picked him up a few weeks ago after I dropped him but then I dropped him this week for Stevenson and sanders. Am I correct in thinking if he doesn’t activate next week he’s out for season? Really frustrating. Don’t have Ir spot so it’s tough to roster both him and collins

I picked him up a few weeks ago after I dropped him but then I dropped him this week for Stevenson and sanders. Am I correct in thinking if he doesn’t activate next week he’s out for season? Really frustrating. Don’t have Ir spot so it’s tough to roster both him and collins
Sounds right. You need your neck.

If the cortisone injections and/or prednisone along with nerve blockers aren't working for this then it's not a good sign at all. One of my favorite RBs to watch these past few seasons. Hate it for him. 

Seahawks RB Chris Carson will undergo season-ending neck surgery.

Coach Pete Carroll said Carson is having the surgery now "so that he can come back and play next season" on the final year of his contract. There is a void in his deal between now and then, but both Russell Wilson and Carroll will likely lobby to keep the 27-year-old around. Carson totaled 54 carries through four games in 2021, averaging 13.5 rushes and 1.5 targets per outing, before suffering his ongoing injury. Some combination of Alex Collins, Travis Homer, Rashaad Penny, and DeeJay Dallas will continue running in Carson's stead.

RELATED: 

Alex Collins

SOURCE: Curtis Crabtree on Twitter

Nov 19, 2021, 4:57 PM ET

Speaking Monday, Seahawks coach Pete Carroll told reporters that he expects RB Chris Carson to be ready to go when training camp kicks off.

The disc-fusion surgery that Carson had performed on him in November is rather uncommon, and a 2016 study noted that only 67% of NFL players who had this operation returned to play. With Rashaad Penny a free agent, Carson would be the favorite for Seahawks main running back duties if he returned to full health. Deejay Dallas and Travis Homer are also under contract for 2022. Carroll also added that he expected S Jamal Adams to be ready for training camp. 

RELATED: 

Jamal Adams

SOURCE: John Boyle on Twitter

Jan 10, 2022, 7:46 PM ET

The Athletic's Michael-Shawn Dugar said Chris Carson "should be the lead back going forward, if healthy."

It's quite the statement after Rashaad Penny was the NFL's most explosive, productive running back over the regular season's final month, rushing for 672 yards and six touchdowns in the Seahawks' final five games. Penny averaged 5.27 yards per carry after contact, more than any other RB's traditional yards per carry average during that span. Carson, meanwhile, missed most of the season with a neck injury; Seattle head coach Pete Carroll said Carson, 27, should be ready for training camp after undergoing disc-fusion surgery in November. Penny, 26, is an unrestricted free agent who should see significant interest from running back-needy teams impressed by his tremendous late-season run. Dugar said Penny in 2022 "should make more than the league minimum," which seems like something of an understatement. The Seahawks' undying commitment to Carson could lead to a frustrating backfield timeshare for Penny and Carson if the team re-signs Penny. He will be among the most closely watched players in free agency next month. 

RELATED: 

Rashaad Penny

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Feb 25, 2022, 8:43 AM ET

USA Today's Liz Matthews reports Chris Carson is recovering well following December neck surgery.

Carson underwent a surgical-fusion on his neck in mid December. Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll said Carson's "workouts are going well, he’s in good spirits and he’s looking forward to playing and getting back.” Carson has already been penned as the likely lead back in 2022 by The Athletic's Michael-Shawn Dugar, despite a strong showing from Rashaad Penny (119-749-6) last season. Carson, heading into his age-27 season,  signed a three-year, $24.625 million contract extension with the Seahawks last March. Carroll seems to have a soft spot for Carson, whose last 1,000-yard season came in 2019. The veteran running back has yet to stay healthy for a full season, and has appeared in just 16 of the team’s last 33 games.

RELATED: 

Rashaad Penny

SOURCE: USA Today

Mar 4, 2022, 9:47 AM ET

The Seattle Times' Bob Condotta reports the Seahawks "remain unclear" if or when Chris Carson (neck) will be able to return.

Coach Pete Carroll, as he typically does, sang an optimistic tune when asked about Carson's return earlier in the offseason, but the reality is nobody knows how Carson's career will turn after November disc-fusion neck surgery. The Seahawks re-signed Rashaad Penny to a one-year deal last month, and the plan would be for he and Carson to lead Seattle's backfield. But Carson needs to be treated as a luxury and not a certainty.

SOURCE: Seattle Times

Apr 22, 2022, 3:43 PM ET

CHRIS CARSON RB, SEATTLE SEAHAWKS

Asked about selecting Kenneth Walker, Pete Carroll said of Chris Carson: "We don't have updates yet on Chris and we won't know for some time. ...So there's a little bit of uncertainty that we're waiting on."

The Seahawks have been largely optimistic about Carson this offseason, but neck surgery makes him not a guarantee going forward. Hopefully training camp will reveal better news for him, but for now, Kenneth Walker is only really fighting with Rashaad Penny for snaps. If Carson does return successfully, the backfield threatens to be a fantasy-killing timeshare. 

SOURCE: ESPN

May 10, 2022, 1:49 PM ET

He's a cut in my dynasty league.  Not worth the roster space for the off chance he recovers and then is able to wrest control of the backfield.  Sucks because I liked him as a player and he gave me great value considering I picked him up off the waiver wire a few years ago.

He's a cut in my dynasty league.  Not worth the roster space for the off chance he recovers and then is able to wrest control of the backfield.  Sucks because I liked him as a player and he gave me great value considering I picked him up off the waiver wire a few years ago.
One of the best 7th round picks in history, but yes the end may be near.

Rashaad Penny's contract is for one year. Chances are, both of these guys are gone after this year.

I'm holding for 2023, where he gets a backup job for another team.

ESPN just ran on the ticker that he still doesn't have full range of motion.  I think for his own health, he is probably done.  

ESPN just ran on the ticker that he still doesn't have full range of motion.  I think for his own health, he is probably done.  
Yes Carroll said this yesterday along with saying when it's time it can be tough on players who love the game to give it up and they needed to be their for them and love him through it all. Also at one point  he threw in a past tense when discussing Carson's play.

They are going to keep giving him time but at this point getting cleared seems unlikely.

The vertebrae at the top and bottom of the fusion site become more susceptible to injury after this procedure. Longest of long shots he plays again. Great player and it has to be tough on him. 

Dealt Carson early 2021 in a package for a 2023 pick. He was perennially underrated when he played. Sounds like a long shot that he comes back. I wish him well & I’m feeling very fortunate that I dealt him when I did.

Dealt Carson early 2021 in a package for a 2023 pick. He was perennially underrated when he played. Sounds like a long shot that he comes back. I wish him well & I’m feeling very fortunate that I dealt him when I did.
Same exact thing, dealt him for a future 1st and 3rd and the very next week he got hurt. That turned into 1.3 after earning the 1.1 all by myself. Now on the path the rebuilding faster.

For his sake I hope he does retire vs risking even more permanent damage to his health. 

Speaking in an interview with Heavy.com, Seahawks RB Chris Carson said he has "no timeline" for his return.

It's pretty much what Pete Carroll said yesterday. “I see myself playing until I feel like stopping. My mindset is never to give up. So, I’m staying positive like I said, and continue to fight and get back onto the field," Carson said. The positive vibes are to be expected, and Carson's resiliency in the face of a career-threatening injury is to be lauded. But don't bank on him overcoming this if you can avoid it. Rashaad Penny and Kenneth Walker are shaping up as the backs to have in Seattle. 

SOURCE: Heavy.com

Jun 10, 2022, 4:20 PM ET

The Fantasy Doctors' Jesse Morse believes Seahawks RB Chris Carson (neck) likely underwent multi-level ACDF surgery.

This would be worse than single level surgery, as two-level ACDF is harder to come back from. Ex-Giants RB David Wilson retired at age-23 after the surgery, while former Colts RB Ahmad Bradshaw returned in nine months. Carson was cleared to workout in June. Whether or not he'll be cleared for training camp comes down to Seattle’s training staff. Kenneth Walker and Rashaad Penny drafters are betting on Carson not getting cleared, but that shouldn’t be taken for granted.

SOURCE: Jesse Morse on Twitter

Jun 18, 2022, 10:22 AM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports that RB Chris Carson has retired from the NFL due to his neck injury. 

Carson ran for a combined 2,381 yards between the 2018 and 2019 seasons, becoming something close to an RB1 in fantasy circles, but struggled to stay on the field as he dealt with the neck injury that eventually required surgical fusion. It's not entirely surprising to see him retire as most of the offseason chatter about him was focused on if he'd be able to play this season. Rapoport notes that Carson won't file retirement paperwork with the league just yet. This clears the way entirely for Rashaad Penny and Kenneth Walker in Seattle's backfield. The Seahawks will release Carson with a failed physical tag. 

- Ian Rapoport, Twitter

Users who are viewing this thread