What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How do you be a more positive person? (1 Viewer)

Accept personal responsibility for anything that is on you. Understand you can't change the things that aren't on you.

Every time I get down I go to Wal Mart and immediately realize things could be a lot worse...

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=Tkf%2fR6GQ&id=4FCA2DABDD4D773546C7526B4E540DE46AA5D27F&q=attitude+poem&simid=607994992012427552&selectedIndex=1

ATTITUDE

by

Charles Swindoll

"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life.  Attitude, to me, is more important than facts.  It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think, say or do.  It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill.  It will make or break a company... a church... a home.  The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we embrace for that day.  We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way.  We cannot change the inevitable.  The only thing we can do is play the one string we have, and that is our attitude... I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.

And so it is with you... we are in charge of our Attitudes”

I'm not sure if this really applies for difficult times like you ask (others have good ideas), but in terms of trying to be positive overall...the best I've heard is a simple "assume positive intent".

2 out of 10 times maybe you get burned on it, and you then learn from that and surely never assume positive intent from those two people again. But it's a much more positive way of moving through life than assuming people aren't being honest, don't really mean what they say, have ulterior motives, etc. It's sure as hell something I wish my wife would learn better. 

Make plans for something positive in the future like traveling, visit friends, etc.

1)  Only "worry" about the things you can control

2)  Realize you can't please everyone, so focus on those that mean the most to you (i.e. family)

3)  Find a reason to laugh every day, even if it's at your own expense

4)  Don't make lists...it causes you to think too much

5)  Have fun

6)  Sing/Dance in the car

7)  Wait for the elevator to almost close then tag someone and yell "You're It!" as you jump out of the elevator

8)  Do your best impersonation of @TheAristocrat by walking through your office giving out  :hifive: to everyone you see

1)  Only "worry" about the things you can control

2)  Realize you can't please everyone, so focus on those that mean the most to you (i.e. family)

3)  Find a reason to laugh every day, even if it's at your own expense

4)  Don't make lists...it causes you to think too much

5)  Have fun

6)  Sing/Dance in the car

7)  Wait for the elevator to almost close then tag someone and yell "You're It!" as you jump out of the elevator

8)  Do your best impersonation of @TheAristocrat by walking through your office giving out  :hifive: to everyone you see
I would want to punch this guy in the face.

- I've learned to stop taking life personally. That is no more than a reactive element in the lower structures of my brain which responds hormonally - immediately & dramatically - to any loss of "food" or status within the herd as survival issues. Not letting the wildebeest in me run my life cept when there's lady wildebeests in my pasture.

- I take an emotional dump at least daily. I am full of ####, you are full of ####, they are full of ####, we are full of ####, yet disposal of waste, simple elimination is not a regular function of of our processes?! Ridiculous. Instead, we build plaques and statues out of our ####, make others eat our ####, fashion toys & tools from our ####, veneer every corner of our life with our emotional waste instead of dealing with it as we should.

- I've learned to stop taking life personally. That is no more than a reactive element in the lower structures of my brain which responds hormonally - immediately & dramatically - to any loss of "food" or status within the herd as survival issues. Not letting the wildebeest in me run my life cept when there's lady wildebeests in my pasture.

- I take an emotional dump at least daily. I am full of ####, you are full of ####, they are full of ####, we are full of ####, yet disposal of waste, simple elimination is not a regular function of of our processes?! Ridiculous. Instead, we build plaques and statues out of our ####, make others eat our ####, fashion toys & tools from our ####, veneer every corner of our life with our #### instead of dealing with it as we should.
not to send up the Dentist bat signal, but can you unpack this a little bit? 

By realizing I have control over my own decisions and actions and that in the long view of the cosmos, nothing I do or fail to do really matters at all.  And remembering that as we move through the world, our electrons mingle with those of our environment and the cells in our bodies die and are replaced - really, when we die there's very little left of us, physically, from the day we were born.

So go do you.  Find something that makes you happy.  Very little else will have much effect on the world, and even if it does, by the time you die it wasn't really you who did it.

I work out or do some sort of exercise every day.  It just gives me a more positive feeling being in shape.  Also I try to be thankful for what I have and don`t worry about things out of my control.  

not to send up the Dentist bat signal, but can you unpack this a little bit? 
You'll have to wait til my blog comes out later this year for the details. The basics are to spend at least 10 minutes emptying your head - by whatever relaxation technique achieves this most effectively for you - then take an inventory of the time since you last cleared the decks, do some visualizations of how scenarios might have unfolded with different responses on your part and a little preparedness checklist for the period which lies both immediately and eventually ahead. Forming the personal criteria of each elimination/inventory/checklist process is specialized and deeply involved, but the day2days are quite simple after that. Help is on the way -

Like Tim McGraw said, live like you're dying.  We only have one go round here.  Deal with bad times with maturity and reasonableness and treasure the good times like a mother ####er.

I think my philosophy was best summed up by Mr. Peanut Butter from Bojack Horseman:

The universe is a cruel, uncaring void. The key to being happy isn't a search for meaning. It's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and then eventually, you'll be dead.

1. First and foremost, remember that nothing you do matters, because pretty soon you and everyone you love will be dead.

2. The only certainty in life is suffering.

3. Now get out there and get positive, you idiot!  :excited:

If the Earth formed at midnight and the present moment is the next midnight, 24 hours later, modern humans have been around since 11:59:59pm—1 second.  Tim has amassed 100,000+ posts in that one second.  

If the Earth formed at midnight and the present moment is the next midnight, 24 hours later, modern humans have been around since 11:59:59pm—1 second.  Tim has amassed 100,000+ posts in that one second.  
:lmao:

Tim already has more posts since he hit 100,000 a few months ago than I have in 8 years

BRO! That's like.....100,000+ posts a second!

bosoxs45 said:
What helps you stay positive through difficult times? Just looking for some honest advice. 
Leaving the corporate world worked for me. I am far more positive about life now. The corporate world sucked the life out of me like a Starship Troopers brain bug. I was a very negative person back then. 

bosoxs45 said:
What helps you stay positive through difficult times? Just looking for some honest advice. 
Accept the situation as a good thing 

It's a learning experience, it's a chance to grow, it's time for a change. It's time to move on to greener pastures. It's going to give me time to hone my skills and land a better job, or wife, or understanding of how money works.

you can turn any setback into a positive if you choose to frame it as an opportunity 

its also good advice for your kids.    When they mess up, especially during the teen years, instead of ranting and raving.  Sit them down and ask them to explain the ordeal from their perspective.   Then give your perspective.   Ask them if they had to do it again, what would they do differently?   

the kid will appreciate that you didn't crush them and will try to do a better job in the future, and will respect you and themselves more as a result.

Users who are viewing this thread