What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Normal aging brain function or something more? (1 Viewer)

belljr

Footballguy
So I have always wondered if my concussions are catching up with me or it's a sign of now being 52.

I'll be mid-sentence and forget some sort of basic descriptive word, or a thought or question or pop into my head and then when I'm getting ready to ask it to the person I'm speaking with I completely forget what I was about to ask.

But recently this one was weird to me. I've tied balloon type knots a million times.

Well walking the dog, pick up the poo in the bag. Go to do the loop around finger pull the end through to make the knot, and completely couldn't remember how I did it. Couldn't get it to feel right. It just felt completely awkward like I never did it before :unsure:

Anyone else have basic tasks that they completely forget how to do stuff??

I'm 55 and deal with similar things... Plus a lot of concussions in my past.

Every time I ask my doctor about it, he gives me the look that always prefaces "yeah... You're getting old".

But can't hurt to get checked out.

The last one might concern me a little. You should be able to do that blind folded in your sleep. Were you distracted by something/thoughts?

I'll forget easy trivia-type answers and music artists names that I used to be able to name right off the top of my head.

you ever have that moment where you're using the same word repeatedly in a conversation/discussion and it suddenly strikes you as weird.. so you repeat it a few times and the word loses meaning.

this feels like that. routine things you've done a billion times before you suddenly give thought to and it ties your brain in knots momentarily.

i've always had that... speech impediment? (for lack of a better term) when i'm speaking and just lose a word. never struck me as particularly odd. feels like some people are able to power through that and kinda spackle in some filler, but keep moving until they get back on track.

It's weird because I have a fantastic memory....

Thought of another...

I've probably played over 1500 rounds of golf in my life. Had the same grip since I was 24.

One round I legit couldn't remember if I did overlap or interlock. Neither felt right. Was so freaking weird....

I counted before and think I've had dozen concussions/

i've always had that... speech impediment? (for lack of a better term) when i'm speaking and just lose a word. never struck me as particularly odd. feels like some people are able to power through that and kinda spackle in some filler, but keep moving until they get back on track.

Yeah, this is definitely happening to me more now that I'm 50, and I realize I should just use the closest synonym I can think of and go with it, but instead I let it drive me nuts until I figure out the word.
The other day it was 'souvenirs.' We were packing too tight for a trip and was telling my wife we wouldn't be able to buy any... uhhh... (hopelessly trying to logic my way into the name of the thing)... you know... the kinds of things you buy when you're on a vacation as a reminder or little gift for the kids... aaaggghhh

Yeah, this is definitely happening to me more now that I'm 50, and I realize I should just use the closest synonym I can think of and go with it, but instead I let it drive me nuts until I figure out the word.
The other day it was 'souvenirs.' We were packing too tight for a trip and was telling my wife we wouldn't be able to buy any... uhhh... (hopelessly trying to logic my way into the name of the thing)... you know... the kinds of things you buy when you're on a vacation as a reminder or little gift for the kids... aaaggghhh
Memento.

Well walking the dog, pick up the poo in the bag. Go to do the loop around finger pull the end through to make the knot, and completely couldn't remember how I did it. Couldn't get it to feel right. It just felt completely awkward like I never did it before
This concerns me. I'd see a doctor. And don't take the "getting old" thing as a reason. That's a cop out.

Being slower about recalling a name or fact is normal. Not remembering a basic task that you've done a million times is not.

Memento.
It's not (yet) so bad that I feel like I have to leave myself notes and Polaroid photos, but good idea.

This concerns me. I'd see a doctor. And don't take the "getting old" thing as a reason. That's a cop out.
I'll echo this. Today it just means "I don't want to spend time on this until it gets worse for you."

Ask another doctor, or 2 if you have to, and do some reading on your own at reputable medical sites so you can go from "layman" to "informed layman". Once in awhile that'll give you a question to ask that the doc hadn't covered.

I stopped seeing one doctor for repeatedly telling me "you're getting old" after my repeated questions, and told my primary doc (and staff) several times that he was dismissive and a waste of time for someone with a health problem. Turns out 2 years later they no longer refer people to him due to similar complaints. Good luck.

Memento.
It's not (yet) so bad that I feel like I have to leave myself notes and Polaroid photos, but good idea.
In 5 or 10 years you're going to love notes you've left yourself.

Memento.
OMG. Is that pimento loaf still in the fridge?

I'll echo this. Today it just means "I don't want to spend time on this until it gets worse for you."

Ask another doctor, or 2 if you have to, and do some reading on your own at reputable medical sites so you can go from "layman" to "informed layman". Once in awhile that'll give you a question to ask that the doc hadn't covered.

I stopped seeing one doctor for repeatedly telling me "you're getting old" after my repeated questions, and told my primary doc (and staff) several times that he was dismissive and a waste of time for someone with a health problem. Turns out 2 years later they no longer refer people to him due to similar complaints. Good luck.
Perhaps you have me confused with someone.

I have never spoken to a doctor about any of this. And it's not concerning to me just yet. Maybe another situation and I'll take notice.

And if I wasn't clear the knot thing was one time. When we went back out later it was "back to normal" so to speak. It wasn't a permanent forget if that makes sense

Forgetting words has always been an issue with me, though usually only related to when I'm in a hurry to say what I'm thinking; it's like the word I wanted was there, but a similar word comes out instead. That's been a thing for me since childhood. I'm not sure if it's happening more frequently now, but I know I am losing my train of thought more frequently. Fortunately, words I can't pull up quickly are still in my head and if I give it enough time, they come out.

With my mother's passing still fresh in my memory, I'll mention that this was definitely a problem she had in her last 2-3 years, and it got worse quickly. Before her hearing went completely and she still tried to engage in conversation, we could see her growing frustration with grasping for words or remembering what she was trying to say. By the end, her vision was going quickly too, and she had more or less withdrawn into herself. Watching that happen reminded me of the inevitability of death and crystallized my thoughts on quality vs. quantity of life. It also prompted me to be less afraid to put my thoughts out into the world, not because I think they're so great, just so that they're not lost in my head forever. My version of raging against the dying of the light.

I constantly find myself not able to find the right word. I know exactly what I want to say, and the point I'm trying to make, but often times just can't find the word I'm looking for. Drives me nuts.

Yep. I forget stuff like this all the time. If it bothers you, go see a doctor about it. If not, it's likely just aging. In a similar story to yours, I forgot how to tie my shoes one night about six months ago, and I was fully sober. I thought I was losing it, too. Three hours later? Just dandy.

well glass half full is you can sleep with another woman and just say you thought it was your wife
I had the unfortunate experience of watching my father (RIP) with dementia hit on my sister and try to talk her into going to bed with him. Admittedly, we got a chuckle out of it, but not one of life's greatest moments.

well glass half full is you can sleep with another woman and just say you thought it was your wife
I had the unfortunate experience of watching my father (RIP) with dementia hit on my sister and try to talk her into going to bed with him. Admittedly, we got a chuckle out of it, but not one of life's greatest moments.

Yeah dementia is one of those funny, but also not funny things. Laughing a little bit helps deal with it though as it is very hard to watch happen.

My grandmother had two such things. Right when it got very bad and she needed to be put in a home, she would go to her bank everyday and demand to speak to Michelle Obama. She also had a picture of my sister in her apartment that she would wrap a scarf around so she wouldnt get cold and she would also cook the picture meals. She would then call us because she was worried that my sister wasn't eating.

Memento.
OMG. Is that pimento loaf still in the fridge?
Pimento has memento!

Not sure this'll help but my wife is convinced I'm losing my mind, as I frequently forget things she's said or things we discussed. Maybe I smoked too much pot in my 20s. Anyway I actually have mentioned it to my doctor and he wants me to get my sleep apnea treated before proceeding to check other possible causes. I'm 51.

ETA: I've also had the thing where I can't find the exact word I want. I guess that probably started around age 45. It is still infrequent but more frequent than at first.

Perhaps you have me confused with someone.

I have never spoken to a doctor about any of this. And it's not concerning to me just yet. Maybe another situation and I'll take notice.

And if I wasn't clear the knot thing was one time. When we went back out later it was "back to normal" so to speak. It wasn't a permanent forget if that makes sense
Please see Floppo's post (#6).

Every time I ask my doctor about it, he gives me the look that always prefaces "yeah... You're getting old".

this feels like that. routine things you've done a billion times before you suddenly give thought to and it ties your brain in knots momentarily.
I have had this happen periodically. I think mundane tasks that you do thousands of times without thinking sometimes tie you up when you stop to actually think about it. Once you start thinking about it you bungle your mind enough that nothing feels right about the task. In the immortal words of Crash Davis......stop thinking, Meat!

To the OP... I have similar issues where words or things I've known what I want to say or need to do all of a sudden goes away. I've also walked into a room with a purpose only to forget why I did ....

Thought of another...

I've probably played over 1500 rounds of golf in my life. Had the same grip since I was 24.

One round I legit couldn't remember if I did overlap or interlock. Neither felt right. Was so freaking weird....

This would be weird, and I think you're too good of a player to overlap. Gross.

Thought of another...

This would be weird, and I think you're too good of a player to overlap. Gross.
lol jokes on you interlock is for suckers and tiny hands.....

I think most pros use overlap but TW and Jack used interlock....

I have had this happen periodically. I think mundane tasks that you do thousands of times without thinking sometimes tie you up when you stop to actually think about it. Once you start thinking about it you bungle your mind enough that nothing feels right about the task. In the immortal words of Crash Davis......stop thinking, Meat!
football 101

stop thinking, start doing

I constantly find myself not able to find the right word. I know exactly what I want to say, and the point I'm trying to make, but often times just can't find the word I'm looking for. Drives me nuts.
This has been happening a lot to me lately as well. Driving me totally asparagus!

So I have always wondered if my concussions are catching up with me or it's a sign of now being 52.

I'll be mid-sentence and forget some sort of basic descriptive word, or a thought or question or pop into my head and then when I'm getting ready to ask it to the person I'm speaking with I completely forget what I was about to ask.

But recently this one was weird to me. I've tied balloon type knots a million times.

Well walking the dog, pick up the poo in the bag. Go to do the loop around finger pull the end through to make the knot, and completely couldn't remember how I did it. Couldn't get it to feel right. It just felt completely awkward like I never did it before :unsure:

stop hiding money, you won’t remember where you hid it soon.

Get off the weed

Not sure this'll help but my wife is convinced I'm losing my mind, as I frequently forget things she's said or things we discussed. Maybe I smoked too much pot in my 20s. Anyway I actually have mentioned it to my doctor and he wants me to get my sleep apnea treated before proceeding to check other possible causes. I'm 51.

ETA: I've also had the thing where I can't find the exact word I want. I guess that probably started around age 45. It is still infrequent but more frequent than at first.
I believe the medical term for this is called "marriage".

Users who are viewing this thread