What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ice baths/cold plunges (1 Viewer)

There is some talk (and conflicting research) about brief exposure to extremes, both hot and cold, shocking the system and promoting longevity.

I’ve not scrutinized the data, but felt really good after plunging into glacial water on a couple occasions (predictably, in Glacier National Park). And when our water heater went out for a week, I quickly gained an appreciation for cold showers as well.

I don’t intuitively like the prospects of doing both in one sitting though. Physiologically, your skin blood vessels constrict in cold and dilate in heat, to shunt blood to/away from your core. Both will tax your heart, and the cold to hot transition seems prone to dropping blood pressure abruptly, which could be a recipe for passing out. The other way doesn’t seem much better, especially if you have heart disease (or blood vessel disease anywhere else), which isn’t exactly rare in middle aged dudes.

And alcohol will only compound matters.

If it were me, I’d pick one or the other, and acclimate before taking the plunge. You need to respect the limits of a middle aged body.

Last edited:
I started doing this before it became a thing. About 3-4 years ago, I watched a documentary on Wim Hoff, “The Iceman”
I’m a runner (yes one of the nerds in the 10K thread), and I have a bad knee. I started by buying bags of ice and dumping them in my bathtub. This got to be pretty annoying and costly, and I knew there had to be a better way. I went on YouTube and found that you can easily create a cold tub by using a chest freezer. Simply fill with water and put it on a timer.

I’ve read Wim’s books and use his breathing methods as well. I honestly feel like the ice baths have enabled me to continue running despite my need for a knee replacement. I’ve done quite a bit of research on the benefits. There is some interesting discussions on when to use and when not to use.

After much experimenting, I feel like the sweet spot for my water temp is around 48-55. As for warming up after, I usually soak in a hot bath. Not sure I’d go straight into a hot tub at 100 degrees. I’m sure you can find answers to any questions on the internet, but I’d be happy to answer any questions about my own experiences with ice baths.
Do you have issues with your hands getting too cold?
🤣 Great question… I do

I understand you hang clothes on an unused exercise bike.

What do you use these for when they sit, unused?
Ugh don't get me started on the bike...

I am confident that I'll use this thing. I just am skeptical about starting to do so with winter here.
Much more enjoyable in the summer for sure. My wife and I are very much outdoor people, it made the dog days of summer so much better. I'd plunge before a 7am round of golf with my dad and BIL. They'd be soaked in sweat by the 4th hole and my skin would be cool to the touch. Want to hang out on the porch in 85 degree weather, its cool....just plunge in 41 degree water before hand.

Reactions: Zow
There is some talk (and conflicting research) about brief exposure to extremes, both hot and cold, shocking the system and promoting longevity.

I’ve not scrutinized the data, but felt really good after plunging into glacial water on a couple occasions (predictably, in Glacier National Park). And when our water heater went out for a week, I quickly gained an appreciation for cold showers as well.

I don’t intuitively like the prospects of doing both in one sitting though. Physiologically, your skin blood vessels constrict in cold and dilate in heat, to shunt blood to/away from your core. Both will tax your heart, and the cold to hot transition seems prone to dropping blood pressure abruptly, which could be a recipe for passing out. The other way doesn’t seem much better, especially if you have heart disease (or blood vessel disease anywhere else), which isn’t exactly rare in middle aged dudes.

And alcohol will only compounds matters.

If it were me, I’d pick one or the other, and acclimate before taking the plunge. You need to respect the limits of a middle aged body.

Im glad you mentioned this. You obviously have much more knowledge on this but it just seems like common sense. Ive never done both.

My anecdotal evidence- When I was a kid I remember coming inside and washing my nearly frozen hands and fingers in hot water and it felt like my hands were made of glass and about to shatter. You'll never convince me that its a good idea for your skin at a minimum.

I mentioned in a post yesterday how I was always curious how ice baths affect your heart - especially when your body temp is higher than normal.

Last edited:
This idea sounds terrible.

You feel like a million bucks afterwards and it’s REALLY good for inflammation. Health benefits are well documented on ice baths- I don’t know about mixing the hot and cold.

It sucks for about 10 seconds but that’s it. I should also note that I’m of Irish descent so the cold is my *****.

Anyone have details as to what they use for a bath, where they keep this thing, how they fill it, how long it takes, where this ice comes from?

Love to try it, but what's the logistics here?

Who is doing this in an efficient manner? and how are they doing it?----that does not involve a Tik Tok, hopefully.

Ugh don't get me started on the bike...

I am confident that I'll use this thing. I just am skeptical about starting to do so with winter here.
Much more enjoyable in the summer for sure. My wife and I are very much outdoor people, it made the dog days of summer so much better. I'd plunge before a 7am round of golf with my dad and BIL. They'd be soaked in sweat by the 4th hole and my skin would be cool to the touch. Want to hang out on the porch in 85 degree weather, its cool....just plunge in 41 degree water before hand.
The bold is what I envision. I usually grab a jacuzzi before a morning round (to loosen up the muscles), but I'm thinking a quick plunge to wake up mind and body and keep the core temp down a bit makes more sense. I always stretch appropriately before a round anyway.

Anyone have details as to what they use for a bath, where they keep this thing, how they fill it, how long it takes, where this ice comes from?

Who is doing this in an efficient manner? and how are they doing it?----that does not involve a Tik Tok, hopefully.
I'm linking what I bought below (they had what seemed like a really good Black Friday sale). I did by the chiller to eliminate the need for constantly buying and filling it with ice. I'm the type of guy to use things like this often* (I'm considered "high use" for my jacuzzi and I use my stretching devices, handheld massagers, lacrosse balls regularly) so I figured it'll pay for itself within a year or so.

*My strategy to combat being out of shape and aging is to address the symptoms of those issues with gimmicks and fad devices as opposed to dieting and exercise.

Last edited:

And alcohol will only compounds matters.

Good stuff here. A few comments.

1. I'm coming to the conclusion that I need to acclimate, and with our morning and night temperatures in my area now regularly below freezing, this bath contraption may need to stay in its packaging. I believe I have a great spot for it in our mud room.
2. I appreciate the input and recommendation against not doing the extremes. I suspected the same, and I've read some articles that suggest doing ice bath in morning and hot tub at night.
3. You're the second person this year to refer to me as middle aged. Since when is 40 "middle aged"? WTF!?

Don't think this is something I ever want to do. Last week I had to get into my pool to repair a liner leak, which meant goggles on, fully submerged while hunting the leak, then glue the patch and hold it on, etc. All told I was in 55 degree water for about 20 minutes, and when I got out I went for a hot shower and drained my entire water heater trying to warm back up.

Kudos to you crazies (I mean that as nicely as possible, truly) that like doing these type of things, but it ain't for me.

Don't think this is something I ever want to do. Last week I had to get into my pool to repair a liner leak, which meant goggles on, fully submerged while hunting the leak, then glue the patch and hold it on, etc. All told I was in 55 degree water for about 20 minutes, and when I got out I went for a hot shower and drained my entire water heater trying to warm back up.

Kudos to you crazies (I mean that as nicely as possible, truly) that like doing these type of things, but it ain't for me.
20 minutes seems like a way different thing than the 1 or 2 minutes I'm talking about in this thread.

20 minutes seems like a way different thing than the 1 or 2 minutes I'm talking about in this thread.
Probably so, but I wasn't in nearly ice-cold/freezing temps either. :shrug:

My in-laws have a really big bedroom, and years ago they decided to put this huge hot tub right in the middle of it. I'm pretty sure they only used it a few times and ever since it basically has just been an extension of their closet shelves - just in the middle of their bedroom.

My business partner swear by this. Has one set up next to his hot tub. I tried it......it was a “wow” and yeah felt great afterwards.

I'm linking what I bought below (they had what seemed like a really good Black Friday sale). I did by the chiller to eliminate the need for constantly buying and filling it with ice. I'm the type of guy to use things like this often* (I'm considered "high use" for my jacuzzi and I use my stretching devices, handheld massagers, lacrosse balls regularly) so I figured it'll pay for itself within a year or so.

*My strategy to combat being out of shape and aging is to address the symptoms of those issues with gimmicks and fad devices as opposed to dieting and exercise.

you could have bought 2,333 pounds of ice for $1000 - I think the chiller was excessive ;)

you could have bought 2,333 pounds of ice for $1000 - I think the chiller was excessive ;)
Yeah but how many annoying .5 mile trips to the nearest convenience store would that have been, huh??

My business partner swear by this. Has one set up next to his hot tub. I tried it......it was a “wow” and yeah felt great afterwards.
But does he jump into the hot tub immediately thereafter!?

I have a great spot for it in our mud room.
I can't remember - is this the same room where you couldn't put your golf clubs?
Correct. So, there's definitely a spot...
Can't wait for this story when you try and put the cold tub in there.

:popcorn:
The two not small boxes are currently in the main kitchen - which she can't be loving - so I'm trying to try to relocate it this evening (she's got a friend coming over for wine so I have a perfect opportunity) and see what happens. I'll keep you posted!

3. You're the second person this year to refer to me as middle aged. Since when is 40 "middle aged"? WTF!?
US life expectancy a tad under 80. Where do you think the middle is?

Also, judging from the tone your posts, I thought you were considerably older. I'm referring to your level of wisdom, of course.

ETA I see the good Dr. O already made my point.

Last edited:

Also, judging from the tone your posts, I thought you were considerably older. I'm referring to your level of wisdom, of course.
I wish we still had signatures and that all the posters from the late 2000s could come back and read this!

Most people need to fast for at least 36 hours to enter ketosis. Maybe even 3 days. Your hunger, or ghrelin, will really start to decrease during the 2nd or 3rd day. I don't know about the salt water flush but you do need some electrolytes during an extended fast. You were halfway there.

Off topic, but i just realized it's almost 3:30 and I haven't eaten today. Just coffee. Tonight after the Clippers game, I'm driving to Vegas for the NBA final 4 tomorrow. A 24 hr fast should be easy enough. Tomorrow will be a challenge but Friday starts with a long drive to Tahoe. I'm going to try to arrive fasted and in ketosis. That'll be 60+ hours of just coffee and water. Low carb it until whenever. I Can Do This.

On topic, Woz. I chuckled at Terminal's comment. I remember all too well. I also took his advice and didn't do the warm-ish water thing after an icy shower just now. Makes sense to just do one extreme. Can't say I noticed anything different, so that's good. I'm looking forward to your reports on using this tub.

Nothing to add here except an anecdote. I coach youth softball in San Diego. 2 years ago as a team building event for my 10U All Star team (my girls finished 9th in the State!) - we did an event at a friends house where he led our team through a Wim Hof learning session culminating with a 90 second plunge in his Plunge. Kids still talk about it today, and I learned how controlled breathing can free your mind from your body and endure frigid cold water for short periods. I was euphoric the rest of the evening after the plunge.

Last edited:
I have no personal knowledge on this, but I have listened to some podcasts where they claim that cold plunging works wonders. I know that both Rogan and Huberman really seem to like the concept of alternating between coldplunging and heat (sauna) back to back. Rogan mentions something about cold and hot shock proteins in several of his podcasts. Hubmeran says something about how going back and forth between the heat and the cold actually helps keep your cardiovascular system healthy and flexible. He says when you go from “heat“ to “cold”—it actually helps keep your capillaries/arteries/veins more flexible and less rigid. Here is a 5 minute clip from a podcast where Huberman kinda breaks things down.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
This thread inspired my to try an ice cold shower after my workout today. I probably felt better for a couple hours afterward but wanted to die during the shower. 4/10, probably won’t do again.

This thread inspired my to try an ice cold shower after my workout today. I probably felt better for a couple hours afterward but wanted to die during the shower. 4/10, probably won’t do again.
They do say not to get in a plunge after a lifting workout. If its cardio I think its recommended, but weights its not. Something about the muscles and blood flow and repairing themselves. If you hop in the cold right after a heavy lift it draws the blood back out.

After a run, I plunge. It feels great. After crossfit I wait at least 3-4 hours.

Woz- how often to you have to drain and refill the Pod?

*not a euphemism, FTR
No clue. It just arrived at my house.
Does the mud room have a drain in the floor? If not I'd advise against putting it there. Water will spill, just no way around it. I spill so much water after I top mine off and get in for the first time, especially if I fully submerge. Even then just getting in and out you get water everywhere.

It was mentioned earlier but here is my basic routine maintenance for the plunge.

Every 2 months I completely drain it and scrub it, change filter.

Every month I change the filter.

Every 2 weeks I test the ph and other chemicals and top it off. It took me a few months to figure out how to keep the water nice and crystal clear. It would get cloudy and a little itchy at first.

Depending on how much you use it you'll have to top it off about once a week. Its nice to have a hose near.

Woz- how often to you have to drain and refill the Pod?

*not a euphemism, FTR
No clue. It just arrived at my house.
Does the mud room have a drain in the floor? If not I'd advise against putting it there. Water will spill, just no way around it. I spill so much water after I top mine off and get in for the first time, especially if I fully submerge. Even then just getting in and out you get water everywhere.

It was mentioned earlier but here is my basic routine maintenance for the plunge.

Every 2 months I completely drain it and scrub it, change filter.

Every month I change the filter.

Every 2 weeks I test the ph and other chemicals and top it off. It took me a few months to figure out how to keep the water nice and crystal clear. It would get cloudy and a little itchy at first.

Depending on how much you use it you'll have to top it off about once a week. Its nice to have a hose near.
The mud room is a joke/call back from another thread where I was posting live time updates in my passive aggressive unspoken battle with my wife to try to keep my golf pushcart in our new home's mud room (basically, my wife wanted it in the garage and I wanted it in the mud room for easy access to the course and believed there to be room - I lost the battle).

When I actually set up the cold plunge it'll be outside on pavers near my hot tub in an area designed for water drainage so no issues there. It's winter in my area now so the issue is more so where to store it until I set it up. It's a portable pod.

I wish we still had signatures and that all the posters from the late 2000s could come back and read this!
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:(y)

Update. Going into week 3 of a daily cold shower first thing.

It's good. Not life changing. Definitely a "take your breath away" thing for the first 15 seconds. But not bad.

I woke up to over a dozen messages about three different situations that put me in a brain fog coffee couldn't clear. An ice cold shower sure did the trick.

Users who are viewing this thread