What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone own whole-house wifi system? (1 Viewer)

DallasDMac

Footballguy
I am looking to upgrade to a whole-house system. There are so many out now, having trouble deciding. Here are systems I am considering:

- Linksys Velop - Highest rated by PC Mag, three pieces, expensive

- Neatgear Orbi - Only two pieces and has zero dropoff when on repeater (leaning this way)

- Google Wifi - Simple, smaller than Orbi

- Eero - Recommended in router thread

Does anyone own any of these systems and can give opinions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't own any, but have heard good things about the Orbi. 

You say you're "upgrading".  From what?  What doesn't work with your current setup?  That Orbi thing seems crazy expensive.

Don't own any, but have heard good things about the Orbi. 

You say you're "upgrading".  From what?  What doesn't work with your current setup?  That Orbi thing seems crazy expensive.
I currently have an Asus RT-AC68U in the living room downstairs. Two story, about 2400 sq ft. My home office is upstairs is the front corner of the house. My new job, I am full time work at home. With the router being downstairs, I get way to many disconnects while working. I thought about an extender, but just don't like what I am reading about their effectiveness and the way they look. The performance and ease of an Orbi just seems like a so much better solution. Given the way I count on an effective signal, the expense is worth it to me. But it is costly enough I want to get it right.

I currently have an Asus RT-AC68U in the living room downstairs. Two story, about 2400 sq ft. My home office is upstairs is the front corner of the house. My new job, I am full time work at home. With the router being downstairs, I get way to many disconnects while working. I thought about an extender, but just don't like what I am reading about their effectiveness and the way they look. The performance and ease of an Orbi just seems like a so much better solution. Given the way I count on an effective signal, the expense is worth it to me. But it is costly enough I want to get it right.
Is hardwiring an option?  If you end up not needing the AC68U, I've got $50 bucks for you.

I have a 3 story + basement 3000 sq ft home and my router is in the basement.   I had someone run a Cat6 cable from the basement to my second floor office and bought a Netgear Nighthawk Range Extender for the office.  That thing's wifi is strong enough to cover my entire house with no issues (except a bit weak in the basement), and also gives me the added benefit of a wired gigabit switch in my office (helps for gaming, downloading, etc).  Just another option worth thinking about.

I have a 3 story + basement 3000 sq ft home and my router is in the basement.   I had someone run a Cat6 cable from the basement to my second floor office and bought a Netgear Nighthawk Range Extender for the office.  That thing's wifi is strong enough to cover my entire house with no issues (except a bit weak in the basement), and also gives me the added benefit of a wired gigabit switch in my office (helps for gaming, downloading, etc).  Just another option worth thinking about.
Through the wall I assume?  How easily done?  What did it set you back?

I have the Luma setup at home.  Been happy with it as it has helped.  Have too many things hooked up to wifi so felt like I needed it.  Helped with streaming Netflix.  My home wifi through AT&T is poor overall and too expensive for the speeds I get so that does affect things.  

Through the wall I assume?  How easily done?  What did it set you back?
Yeah through the wall - from an outlet in the office down to my furnace room.  Not sure how much it is by itself as I had someone hook up the entire house, as well as install a Control4 automation system, external cameras, and a Sonos system with ceiling speakers throughout.  Whole thing cost me around $13K (including equipment).  I'd guess for just 1 connection would be less than $200, and can easily be done within an hour.

Yeah through the wall - from an outlet in the office down to my furnace room.  Not sure how much it is by itself as I had someone hook up the entire house, as well as install a Control4 automation system, external cameras, and a Sonos system with ceiling speakers throughout.  Whole thing cost me around $13K (including equipment).  I'd guess for just 1 connection would be less than $200, and can easily be done within an hour.
I just need to get one cat5e/cat6 cable from my finished basement to my attic (where I can split it off via switch) 3 floors up.  Seeing I can do it without cutting up too many of my "wife's walls."

I just need to get one cat5e/cat6 cable from my finished basement to my attic (where I can split it off via switch) 3 floors up.  Seeing I can do it without cutting up too many of my "wife's walls."
If you hire a pro shouldn't have to worry about losing any walls.   The guy I used was good at following the power lines to go down the different levels.   I would suggest to not even think about Cat5e as the cost difference is minimal vs Cat6, and to have the installer run 2 separate cables at the same time given that the labor costs much more than the materials.  You'd hate to have a cable go wonky on you and: (a) not be entirely sure the cable is the problem; and (b) have to hire someone to install a new one all over again.  

If you hire a pro shouldn't have to worry about losing any walls.   The guy I used was good at following the power lines to go down the different levels.   I would suggest to not even think about Cat5e as the cost difference is minimal vs Cat6, and to have the installer run 2 separate cables at the same time given that the labor costs much more than the materials.  You'd hate to have a cable go wonky on you and: (a) not be entirely sure the cable is the problem; and (b) have to hire someone to install a new one all over again.  
Ideally I like to hire a guy that installs a "channel" that I can run whatever kinda of cable I'd every want through - cat5, cat6, coax, speaker, antenna from attic, lines from security cameras installed in the eves of the house.....

Ideally I like to hire a guy that installs a "channel" that I can run whatever kinda of cable I'd every want through - cat5, cat6, coax, speaker, antenna from attic, lines from security cameras installed in the eves of the house.....
Yeah that would be perfect, but I'm not sure how feasible that would be without tearing down walls.  Realistically I think Cat6 cables can serve many of those needs - largely via adapters and what not that can convert data from hdmi/coax or what have you to RJ45 and vice versa.   I have my security camera's, HTPC's, and cable boxes all being split through a central Vanco unit in the basement, which then distributes video to the various connected monitors in the house via Cat6 cables and adapters.  

You may already know all about Vanco or similar product lines, but if not could be worth checking that site out to see some additional options you might have to build your ideal set up.   

Is hardwiring an option?  If you end up not needing the AC68U, I've got $50 bucks for you.
I don't know. I have insulation sprayed in all the walls as this was built as one of those energy efficient homes. So they would have to trace existing lines of some sort. You can't just drop a line anywhere.

Could also go powerline and save some doh.  If you don't have a wicked old house with terrible electrical wiring, it's supposed to work very well for this kind of scenario.

Just a few months I  had cat6 cable run from media closet (hub hardwired to my line out) to theater TV,  to upstairs TV and to office.   Price depends on what kind of access you have (attic?  basement?  crawlspace?  slab?  etc) and how you want it run.   You can probably get a single run for a couple hundred bucks by an electrician.   I paid about $2k but that included 4 other dedicated 15A power runs, an EVSE install,  and a sub-panel install on my breaker box.  

Just a few months I  had cat6 cable run from media closet (hub hardwired to my line out) to theater TV,  to upstairs TV and to office.   Price depends on what kind of access you have (attic?  basement?  crawlspace?  slab?  etc) and how you want it run.   You can probably get a single run for a couple hundred bucks by an electrician.   I paid about $2k but that included 4 other dedicated 15A power runs, an EVSE install,  and a sub-panel install on my breaker box.  
Holy crap - 2k?? Wow.

Seriously, for anyone wanting to extend their current network, consider powerline (nice sets go for 60-80 bucks).  You can then get a cheap switch and a cheap AP and extend your network, as needed.

I saw orbi at $375.   If its half the price of another system that may or may not be as advertised   --  I'd take the reliability of a wire every time...but. your house, your money.

Couple hundred bucks to run wire. Couple hundred bucks for Orbi. One sounds way easier and faster than the other. Make the wiring $2k, and it still sounds easier and a whole lot cheaper.
Did you read the post?  That 2K included the one Cat6 run, which was one of about 9 things I had done including several hundred dollars in material.

I dropped $78 on an extender that didn't work. 

Im wondering if I get a stronger router. 

Extenders really seem to be a mixed bag. But even when they work, you can only expect about half the throughput of the router at best. That's why I am shying away from dropping money on one of those. It was my first option. I even tried converting my old router to en extender but didn't care for how that was going.

Stronger isn't necessarily better.  You typically want your wireless access point configured at lower power outputs (people set theirs on 100% or max thinking that is he best, but it isn't).  

If you're trying to get more coverage in your household, I'd recommend either relocating your current WAP somewhere central and elevated in your house or adding another WAP in the house.  You can certainly broadcast the same SSID from both WAPs - most devices are intelligent enough to choose the SSID with the better signal.

If you don't have an existing wire, like I keep mentioning, try a powerline device.  It will extend your physical network via your electrical wiring (you plug one on one outlet near your router/switch and the other where you want to extend your physical network to).  

I don't know a ton about wireless mesh (I get the concept and the application), other than that it's all the rage in the consumer market right now (which is why they are ridiculously expensive).  But I think most are better served running two autonomous WAPs with the same SSIDs and authentication configurations.  There are some WAPs that implement mesh-like protocols without the cost.  

Though, if you have cash to burn, I'm sure those newly marketed WAPs will be pretty cool, are probably very easy to setup, and will run wonderfully.  One great thing about them is that you get multiple WAPs with easy integration of additional ones in your house, which is good as 5g signals don't travel very far, so most folks don't get the full benefit of 5g on dual-band devices.  So if you do get one of the newer WAPs, make sure to place one near applications that could benefit from running at 5g (like streaming devices - Apple TV, Chromecast, etc).

I use Google Wifi.  Have one downstairs and 2 upstairs.  Signal is strong throughout the house.  Stay above 100/100.  Previously had tried a couple different extenders and couldn't get above 15 or 20 down in the far corners.  House is around 2500 square feet.

Or, for an extra $150 he can just get the Orbi and not have to worry about any cables or electricians at all.

This is what I have an it's fantastic.  2100 square foot house.  One Orbi supposedly covers 2000 square feet but I got a deal on a set and the router is in basement and satellite is upstairs.  ZERO issues and maintenance since I bought it last October.  I Originally had a ASUS RT-AC68U that just wasn't cutting it.

Orbi has consistently been getting the best reviews. Here is the Lnksys Velop (released January 2017) reviewed and you can see how it compares (not so good) against all the other mesh networks.  This appears to be the latest article (which is why I linked that instead of directly to the orbi review from last November) regarding mesh networks and smallnetbuilder is where i go first when I need reviews on network components.

AhrnCityPahnder said:
I saw orbi at $375.   If its half the price of another system that may or may not be as advertised   --  I'd take the reliability of a wire every time...but. your house, your money.
I use wired for gaming on my PC downstairs, but everything else in my house is wireless using the Orbi and have no issues.  Speed tests are consistently at 60-70mbps (60mbps is what I pay for) when I run them from anywhere in the house - it even reaches outside into my backyard.

captain_amazing said:
Could also go powerline and save some doh.  If you don't have a wicked old house with terrible electrical wiring, it's supposed to work very well for this kind of scenario.
Have done this in our house...works very well.

Love our Eero. Solved our wifi problem. I think I have 3 or 4 of them spread around the house. Good sized old house with lots of brick and plaster walls, so it killed my wifi signal. It's expensive but was well worth it. 

@OC Zed has the similar Lumia system and says it's good as well. I haven't tried it. 

I think this is overkill for most people. 
Not really...depends on the number of devices. I had a Asus Rt-AC68U, can't touch the performance we get on the Orbi across all devices. Love the Orbi, coverage is great speeds are awesome on every device. iPhone 5s-7, iPads, Xbox Ones, Apple TVs, Fire Sticks, Chromecasts, Heos, NAS, HTPC, Smart TVs. IMO totally worth it.

AhrnCityPahnder said:
I have the Orbi. 100% reliable. Dedicated backhaul. Wifi performance is equivalent to commercial solutions.

I use wired for gaming on my PC downstairs, but everything else in my house is wireless using the Orbi and have no issues.  Speed tests are consistently at 60-70mbps (60mbps is what I pay for) when I run them from anywhere in the house - it even reaches outside into my backyard.
I get 120 and pay for 105, but it will burst so 120 makes sense.

I get 120 and pay for 105, but it will burst so 120 makes sense.
120?  We can't even get that here in Milwaukee.  60mbps tops via Spectrum is the fastest we can get here.  How come I'm living like a caveman while the rest of you guys are living like Kings?

120?  We can't even get that here in Milwaukee.  60mbps tops via Spectrum is the fastest we can get here.  How come I'm living like a caveman while the rest of you guys are living like Kings?
lol, in Chicago and I can get 1 gig from Comcast but it's not cheap. I'm thinking about it since we blow through 1 TB/mth. 4 streamers/gamers in the house sucks.

It's funny how many of us have this same "high end" router and haven't been happy with it. Seems to not do good going up floors, which I guess isn't that out of the ordinary.

I have the Orbi. 100% reliable. Dedicated backhaul. Wifi performance is equivalent to commercial solutions.
This is what made me zero in on the Orbi. They say the backhaul is the reason it has the best repeater speed of any system. Basically, repeater speed = router speed.

This is what made me zero in on the Orbi. They say the backhaul is the reason it has the best repeater speed of any system. Basically, repeater speed = router speed.
Yep, me too!  My brother was all in on the Eero until I told him about the Orbi.  Now he's a proud Orbi owner too.

I have the Google Wifi mesh network. 1 in the basement office, one in the family room, one in the master bedroom.  Covers 3500 sq feet plus porch and back deck.  Max speed is 60 from my provider, we average 54 consistently.   It has fixed my capacity issues.  Got it in December so I don't have a lot of history with it.  The good news is I never think about it now. 

Users who are viewing this thread