What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (9 Viewers)

I haven’t drawn any lines anywhere in this discussion. 
Okay. That was probably poor wording. I was hung up on the civil disobedience analogy I constructed. There's where legal lines must be drawn at some point, in terms of allowance, enforcement, and punishment.

This is more the court of public opinion. (Until the President gets involved and starts asking for laws, procedures, etc.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay. That was probably poor wording. I was hung up on the civil disobedience analogy I constructed. There's where legal lines must be drawn at some point, in terms of allowance, enforcement, and punishment.

This is more the court of public opinion. (Until the President gets involved and starts asking for laws, procedures, etc.)
I believe that “worthy protest cause”, like “art”, is rather difficult to decide for others. 

Lol what a joke. He placed 3rd in foil! No one even knows your stupid sport exists. As if anyone gives a @@@@ what he thinks. 
Bronze in the 2016 Olympics

8 gold medals (team and individual) in the Pan Am Championships

2 time National champ

First American to win the world cup

etc etc

Accepted to Notre Dame but went to college at St. John’s 

He’s also a model.

He’s 26.  What had you done by that age?

I read the article. He was protesting gun laws, immigration policy, our current president, racial justice, etc.

He was protesting smörgasbord of left-liberal dissatisfaction with the country. If you want to draw lines around his as acceptable protest despite event guidelines to the contrary, be my guest.
That’s quite a list.  

Maybe he wanted to go broad to kickstart a YouTube influencer career.

I'm by far not the biggest Jay-Z fan and think he's a complete fraud as well as a race baiter so don't paint this as me defending the NFL or Jay Z however I thought Eric Reid's comments on this fit this thread. I've always felt Colin and Eric were never Diehards on the Social Justice issues and just used it as an excuse to save their careers.If they were all 100% for it why when the media attentined turned from them to Malcolm Jenkins and other players doing positive things about it and having meetings with owners and COmmisoner and Jenkins voted Coalition President did these two essentially take their balls and go home and then lied about the Players and Union and NFL trying not to involve them? 

Hey everyone look at me Eric Reid. I was Colin Kapernick's little lap dog in his whole pulling the Social Justice race card so our team wouldn't release us for poor play. When the Social Justice issues the media attention went from Colin and I to Malcolm Jenkins and the rest of the Players Coalition great job they were doing we took our balls and went home. Then we lied about Malcolm and Company saying they blackballed us from meetings. My buddy Colin even sued the league and NFLPA (He is no longer in so he can't sign without being in the union) and called our Union rep a liar. I then after finally getting signed over desperation by Carolina for having piss poor safeties immediately starting talking crap on Union Rep and Player's Coalition President Malcolm Jenkins including calling him an "Uncle Tom". I then got in his face like the clown I am during warm ups with our teams and former Eagle my teammate Torrey Smith told me to knock this #### off. I then tried to intentionally injure Jenkins QB Carson Wentz and after the game continued to bad mouth Jenkins who has been a constant pro and praised what little talent I have left. Then the Panthers overpaid me this offseason and I still have a job.

Hey everyone look at me look at me I want attention again since no one is talking about me anymore. What a loser this guy is. This is the type of crap and people pulling race card and stuff to not be hold accountable for your own actions why most won't take these social justice issues seriously. You and your buddy turned this into a joke. Thankfully Jenkins and CO took it up

Eric Reid Rips NFL Social Justice Partnership with Jay-Z

Him and Colin were never about the social justice issues. If they were they wouldn't have taken their balls and went home when Malcolm Jenkins was voted Coalition President. They then lied about Jenkins blackballing them (I know one of the defensive coaches in fact one of Jenkins coaches) which was never true. Eric Reid has gone as far and called Jenkins an Uncle Tom as well and tried to cheap shot Carson Wentzwhen the Eagles played Carolina last year. This guy is nothing more then an attention whore clown

DJackson10 said:
I'm by far not the biggest Jay-Z fan and think he's a complete fraud as well as a race baiter so don't paint this as me defending the NFL or Jay Z however I thought Eric Reid's comments on this fit this thread. I've always felt Colin and Eric were never Diehards on the Social Justice issues and just used it as an excuse to save their careers.If they were all 100% for it why when the media attentined turned from them to Malcolm Jenkins and other players doing positive things about it and having meetings with owners and COmmisoner and Jenkins voted Coalition President did these two essentially take their balls and go home and then lied about the Players and Union and NFL trying not to involve them? 

Hey everyone look at me Eric Reid. I was Colin Kapernick's little lap dog in his whole pulling the Social Justice race card so our team wouldn't release us for poor play. When the Social Justice issues the media attention went from Colin and I to Malcolm Jenkins and the rest of the Players Coalition great job they were doing we took our balls and went home. Then we lied about Malcolm and Company saying they blackballed us from meetings. My buddy Colin even sued the league and NFLPA (He is no longer in so he can't sign without being in the union) and called our Union rep a liar. I then after finally getting signed over desperation by Carolina for having piss poor safeties immediately starting talking crap on Union Rep and Player's Coalition President Malcolm Jenkins including calling him an "Uncle Tom". I then got in his face like the clown I am during warm ups with our teams and former Eagle my teammate Torrey Smith told me to knock this #### off. I then tried to intentionally injure Jenkins QB Carson Wentz and after the game continued to bad mouth Jenkins who has been a constant pro and praised what little talent I have left. Then the Panthers overpaid me this offseason and I still have a job.

Hey everyone look at me look at me I want attention again since no one is talking about me anymore. What a loser this guy is. This is the type of crap and people pulling race card and stuff to not be hold accountable for your own actions why most won't take these social justice issues seriously. You and your buddy turned this into a joke. Thankfully Jenkins and CO took it up

Eric Reid Rips NFL Social Justice Partnership with Jay-Z

Him and Colin were never about the social justice issues. If they were they wouldn't have taken their balls and went home when Malcolm Jenkins was voted Coalition President. They then lied about Jenkins blackballing them (I know one of the defensive coaches in fact one of Jenkins coaches) which was never true. Eric Reid has gone as far and called Jenkins an Uncle Tom as well and tried to cheap shot Carson Wentzwhen the Eagles played Carolina last year. This guy is nothing more then an attention whore clown
I honestly can't understand how a team puts garbage like reid on their team. He can call someone an uncle tom, but you dont hear a peep from any of the race baiters. Typical hypocrites that use race when it suits their needs.

Poopovich is a sanctimonious piece of crap. He think is he's better than everyone & talks down to people. Yeah, as if anyone cares what an nba coach thinks about the world.
I know Pop soapboxes a bit. I just figured squis would have put it there and wanted to do him a solid.

I honestly can't understand how a team puts garbage like reid on their team. He can call someone an uncle tom, but you dont hear a peep from any of the race baiters. Typical hypocrites that use race when it suits their needs.
I agree with you here. I know one of the DB coaches personally of the Eagles and how Colin and Reid tried to make Malcom Jenkins look like a bad guy Jenkins could've countered sued for libel and other things if Colin tried to name him in the NFL lawsuit. Based on some people I know the Lawsuit settlement was nothing more then both parties agreeing to no longer attack each other publicly and Colin could profit like making a movie or book off of it. Take it with a grain of salt because I don't know how true it is but it sounds more like Colin's lawyers wised up and knew they had a losing case without Specific DETAILED evidence showing conclusion. Jenkins also saved Phone calls, texts and emails sent to Kap/Reid/Their agents and lawyers to show he tried to involve them. Basically when the spotlight fell off of them they took their balls and went home 

Also speaking on the race baiting lets not forget what Colin's GF said about Biscotti, Newsome and Ray Lewis. Want to fight social justice issues but ya can't be using that language on people either. Eric Reid's actions over the past year showed how deep they really cared. I'm gonna laugh with Colin's GF uses all the money then dumps him and gets on the rod of the next dumb athlete who tries to date her. The girl is essentially what they call in the sports world a locker room rat gold digger. From people I talked too Colin was even warned by teammates about her and he was seeing and sleeping with her while ALdon Smith was still dating her. Hence the reason the full fledge fight at camp a month or so before SMith's release The Release for off the field issues was a cover up at that point. The Yorks were trying to protect Kaepernick but in doing so alienated a lot of the locker room who was on ALdon's side. You don't bang another teammates current girlfriend or wife. It's sac religious essentially in locker room code. But you won't even hear this story by either side of the media either 

This has turned into a cottage industry.   If I were an older athlete like Megan who will never play in the World Cup again, or and unknown fencer or bobsledder I would kneel too.  Right away you get name recognition and possible other opportunities that you never would have had previously.  It is all about marketing yourself and your brand now. Nobody knew them before and now they do. 

Well it was either sign Reid or sign me to play safety.

Honestly I think Tepper had some business motives here.

Poopovich is a sanctimonious piece of crap. He think is he's better than everyone & talks down to people. Yeah, as if anyone cares what an nba coach thinks about the world.
https://theundefeated.com/features/san-antonio-spurs-gregg-popovich-is-the-nbas-most-woke-coach/

There's a 100% chance that Pop knows more about the world, about life, and about, well, anything, than you do. He served all over the world. He knows what's up.

It must be a miserable life to come to the realization that nobody cares about your opinion on anything. There are people smarter than you, more worldly than you, more educated than you. Just take solace in the fact that his players should shut up and dribble and you'll be fine.

"But I love my kids and stuff. That's where I draw my inspiration."

Nah. His kids are probably better, smarter, more worldly, etc. As are Kaepernick's. They'll see things and experience things that you will never give your children.. Guy is going to live his life, his family is going to live their lives, and they're going to prosper and enjoy. They'll never be compelled to get on a message board and be hateful, because they'll have better things to do. Good on them.

https://theundefeated.com/features/san-antonio-spurs-gregg-popovich-is-the-nbas-most-woke-coach/

There's a 100% chance that Pop knows more about the world, about life, and about, well, anything, than you do. He served all over the world. He knows what's up.

It must be a miserable life to come to the realization that nobody cares about your opinion on anything. There are people smarter than you, more worldly than you, more educated than you. Just take solace in the fact that his players should shut up and dribble and you'll be fine.

Nah. His kids are probably better, smarter, more worldly, etc. As are Kaepernick's. They'll see things and experience things that you will never give your children.. Guy is going to live his life, his family is going to live their lives, and they're going to prosper and enjoy. They'll never be compelled to get on a message board and be hateful, because they'll have better things to do. Good on them.
It seems as you and Popovich hang out alot, could you ask him if he regrets the Kawhi thing?

And yet, here you are doing the same thing. You dont know what I've done or where I've been. I didnt realize that only "so called" famous people can have opinions about others. The fact that you apparently are a Kaepernick supporter tells me all I need to know about you. I dont know how I'm going to get through my day after reading your opinion, I'm so distraught LOL. Thanks for your useless diatribe. 

Pops who is 70 served  in the Air Force in his early 20s. Like many in the Armed Services they do travel.  Pops has never had a real job other than being a basketball coach. Also Pops has only coached in the NBA bubble over the last  3 decades.   NBA coaches travel around the country flying first class or private planes, and staying at the Four Seasons or Ritz and eating the finest food and wine basically living a very pampered lifestyle and he lives in a gated community. 

Pops might be an educated man but to say he really knows more about everything in the world because he did a 4 year tour in the Air Force his early 20s might not be quite accurate.  Bobby Knight is also a very educated well traveled life long basketball coach so would you hold his views of the world in the same high regard?  I don`t.

Pops who is 70 served  in the Air Force in his early 20s. Like many in the Armed Services they do travel.  Pops has never had a real job other than being a basketball coach. Also Pops has only coached in the NBA bubble for over 3 decades.   NBA coaches travel around the country flying first class or private planes, and staying at the Four Seasons or Ritz and eating the finest food and wine basically living a very pampered lifestyle and he lives in a gated community. 

Pops might be an educated man but to say he really knows more about everything in the world because he did a 4 year tour in the Air Force his early 20s might not be quite accurate.  Bobby Knight is also a very educated well traveled life long basketball coach so would you hold his views of the world in the same high regard?  I don`t.
It reminds of Friedrich Hayek and his rebuke of the intellectuals. Often, he said, they feel that since they have achieved expertise in one field that qualifies them to speak out as an expert on other issues. Often, he said they're wrong. They're not experts in that field. Reminds me of Chomsky, a linguistic genius, getting political in the sixties and seventies. 

It rings hollow, violates agreements, and reeks of mere political grievance as opposed to true momentous occasions where disobedience seems necessary and right.
That’s certainly a view some are taking.  Notably, it’s also a view some took in ‘63 and 1968.
I don't want to speak for another poster ... but what I got out of rockaction's Sunday morning posts was that the fencer's demonstration itself was trite and thus necessarily lacking impact. Not that the broader issues he was protesting were unimportant, nor that his actions were wrong in any manner.

DaGuru's point from yesterday evening (the notoriety boost from kneeling) is something to think about, as well. Riskless, soft-landing protest is a very different thing from '68 Mexico City -- which I thought was something else rock was getting at.

It reminds of Friedrich Hayek and his rebuke of the intellectuals. Often, he said, they feel that since they have achieved expertise in one field that qualifies them to speak out as an expert on other issues. Often, he said they're wrong. They're not experts in that field. Reminds me of Chomsky, a linguistic genius, getting political in the sixties and seventies. 
Pops is a well spoken and thoughtful guy.  I generally like the ideas he presents and the thought behind them.  Much like Kerr.  I think Pops and Kerr have a good deal of insight about race issues, because there are few places in the world as integrated as a basketball court.  That doesn't make them right on everything automatically, just a starting point for insight. 

But being thoughtful should be the standard, really. Not "expertise."  Whether it's Pops, Kerr, Shilling, Iverson, Kaep, Bobby Night, Toby Keith, Tom Arnold, or Peter Jennings.  Being an "expert" in one field often means you have a platform.  What you do with that platform, what you say, and how you say it, is the driver for me.  I've got nothing against intellectuals as a principal.  Some are thoughtful and should be listened to, and some are blowhards.  And  for the life of me, I don't understand how anyone else would have a problem with intellectuals in general.  It's what they say and the thought that goes into what they say that should matter. 

I don't want to speak for another poster ... but what I got out of rockaction's Sunday morning posts was that the fencer's demonstration itself was trite and thus necessarily lacking impact. Not that the broader issues he was protesting were unimportant, nor that his actions were wrong in any manner.

DaGuru's point from yesterday evening (the notoriety boost from kneeling) is something to think about, as well. Riskless, soft-landing protest is a very different thing from '68 Mexico City -- which I thought was something else rock was getting at.
That's cool that you did that. That's active reading and listening, a great trait to have. You're partially right and maybe I wasn't clear enough on my other points. My first point, what I was really getting at, was that the things they were protesting in '68 were much, much more significant in scope and intensity than what Race is protesting. What Race is protesting is important, but it's not appropriate to scale, if you know what I mean.

The second thing I was saying was more to Da Guru's point and you picked up on it. There was a lot of skin in the game in '68 when they fired up a black power symbol during the anthem. For Race, meh, not so much.

And lastly, contrarily to your summary, the third thing that I was saying was that he was indeed wrong. He violated an agreement he had signed promising not to do that if he competed and won. That he broke that promise was where I thought he went wrong.

And for the life of me, I don't understand how anyone else would have a problem with intellectuals in general.  It's what they say and the thought that goes into what they say that should matter. 
I'd agree with this. But I think I might have incorrectly communicated or flat misstated his grievance about intellectuals. He was amazed at how wrong they often were and how sloppy their methods and logic were, but yet they kept at it (and more importantly, the press lapped it up) without expert qualification.

Pops is a well spoken and thoughtful guy.  I generally like the ideas he presents and the thought behind them.  Much like Kerr.  I think Pops and Kerr have a good deal of insight about race issues, because there are few places in the world as integrated as a basketball court.  That doesn't make them right on everything automatically, just a starting point for insight. 

But being thoughtful should be the standard, really. Not "expertise."  Whether it's Pops, Kerr, Shilling, Iverson, Kaep, Bobby Night, Toby Keith, Tom Arnold, or Peter Jennings.  Being an "expert" in one field often means you have a platform.  What you do with that platform, what you say, and how you say it, is the driver for me.  I've got nothing against intellectuals as a principal.  Some are thoughtful and should be listened to, and some are blowhards.  And  for the life of me, I don't understand how anyone else would have a problem with intellectuals in general.  It's what they say and the thought that goes into what they say that should matter. 
I think way too much opinion is formed based on how pop handles sideline interviews in game that are a silly requirement. He comes of as a jerk to people that dont understand how dumb of a concept it is. 

ETA: you see in the tipping threads where people comment about how you can tell a lot about a person based on how they treat waitstaff. My guess is it would be hard to find staff that would say bad things about him. 

I'd agree with this. But I think I might have incorrectly communicated or flat misstated his grievance about intellectuals. He was amazed at how wrong they often were and how sloppy their methods and logic were, but yet they kept at it (and more importantly, the press lapped it up) without expert qualification.
That's interesting.  I don't disagree.  I think I read somewhere that the IQ distribution about Ph.Ds in the US was in alignment with that of the general population.  I'll see if I can find that stat somewhere. 

Edit: which would mean they aren't smarter than the rest of us, I guess. . . 

And lastly, contrarily to your summary, the third thing that I was saying was that he was indeed wrong. He violated an agreement he had signed promising not to do that if he competed and won. That he broke that promise was where I thought he went wrong.
I get you here. I think we can agree that the audience to whom he was protesting thinks little of that sort of promise. And invoking Trump's broken promises is an easy "what about?" counter.

That's interesting.  I don't disagree.  I think I read somewhere that the IQ distribution about Ph.Ds in the US was in alignment with that of the general population.  I'll see if I can find that stat somewhere. 

Edit: which would mean they aren't smarter than the rest of us, I guess. . . 
Interesting.

Interesting.
I found this: Smarty Pants Article That I Probably Won't Read But It's Got and Interesting Abstract

From the Abstract:

Many studies have found inverse correlations between intelligence and religiosity, intelligence and
political conservatism, and intelligence and political extremism. Other studies have found that
academics tend to be significantly less religious and more liberal than the general population. In
this article, we argue that interdisciplinary differences in religiosity and political perspective
among academics are predicted by interdisciplinary differences in intelligence between academics.
Once personality factors correlating with religiosity have been substantially controlled for, physicists, who have higher average intelligence, are less religious than are social scientists, who have lower average intelligence. Physical scientists are also less politically extreme than are social scientists.

That is cracking me up. My sister has a phd. She is very religious. She is politically pretty active. 

She once called me because she couldnt get the toaster to work. It wasnt turned to "toast" and was set to bake. So when she turned the timer with the "bread picture" it wasnt working. 

She has also called me(in the last year) to ask "how hot chicken needs to be" and "how to remove a bush from the ground." 

My anecdotal experience seems to match what you stated before. 

Iverson?  Not sure he fits into that group.  AI belongs in the vodka/casino thread.

Speak For Yourself

@SFY

·

2h

Darnell’s Question of the Day: Would it be smart for the NFL to give Kaepernick another chance?

@Darnell_Smith95

"I don’t think his goal is really playing football… I think the real goal here is just to dirty up the name of the NFL." —

@WhitlockJason

I read the article. He was protesting gun laws, immigration policy, our current president, racial justice, etc.

He was protesting smörgasbord of left-liberal dissatisfaction with the country. If you want to draw lines around his as acceptable protest despite event guidelines to the contrary, be my guest.
I prefer this form of political protest (even if it is kind of a mess philosophically) over the political violence we see from time to time with mass shooters, bombers, etc. I am never going to be bothered by peaceful protest, even if it's misguided or philosophically sloppy. 

I prefer this form of political protest (even if it is kind of a mess philosophically) over the political violence we see from time to time with mass shooters, bombers, etc. I am never going to be bothered by peaceful protest, even if it's misguided or philosophically sloppy. 
Oh Dear, I think that goes without saying. I almost infinitely prefer exactly what you're less or not bothered by. That's pretty much nothing to get that worked up over. The shootings or violence are worse by far. 

Oh Dear, I think that goes without saying. I almost infinitely prefer exactly what you're less or not bothered by. That's pretty much nothing to get that worked up over. The shootings or violence are worse by far. 
Surely, I just meant it's good to keep perspective on things. Not you- but I know people who get really worked up over things like a person kneeling at the Pan Am games or whatever. I think that's really overreacting to something pretty harmless.

This has turned into a cottage industry.   If I were an older athlete like Megan who will never play in the World Cup again, or and unknown fencer or bobsledder I would kneel too.  Right away you get name recognition and possible other opportunities that you never would have had previously.  It is all about marketing yourself and your brand now. Nobody knew them before and now they do. 
Seriously and then the anti-kneelers get to write their editorials, fire off their tweets and then those defending the kneeling can do the same. So many clicks and likes and whatnot. It's such a lame routine at this point. And of course lost in it all is any of the real meaning or significance of any of it good or bad. I guess that is the downside of commercialism. 

Seriously and then the anti-kneelers get to write their editorials, fire off their tweets and then those defending the kneeling can do the same. So many clicks and likes and whatnot. It's such a lame routine at this point. And of course lost in it all is any of the real meaning or significance of any of it good or bad. I guess that is the downside of commercialism. 
Dont forget more kneeling to counter the anti kneeling. And of course the well i dont really want to kneel, but i dont want to do nothing so lets lock arms crowd( this is the equivalent of the bullpen guys strolling out during a bench clearing "brawl" )

Jay-Z says time to move on.

" We've moved past kneeling. I think it's time to go into actionable items," Jay responded. "I don't want people to stop protesting at all. I support protests across the board. We need to bring light to the issue and I think everyone knows what the issue is now. So we're done with that."

"We forget that Colin's whole thing was to bring attention to social injustice. In that case, it was a success. Now it is time for the next phase," he explained. "There [are] two parts of protesting. You go outside and you protest, and then the individual says, 'I hear you. What do we do next?'"

Jay continued, "For me, it's like an action,  what are we gonna do with it? Everyone heard, we hear what you're saying, and everybody knows I agree with what you're saying . So what are we gonna do? You know what I'm saying? Help millions of people, or worry that Colin does not have a job?"

The "Mood 4 Eva" rapper's words didn't sit too well for a lot of people including Kaepernick's girlfriend and television host Nessa Diab, sports journalist Jemele Hill, Kaepernick's former teammate Eric Reid, who continues to kneel during NFL games, to name a few.

"The N.F.L. has a great big platform, and it has to be all-inclusive," Jay told the NYT. "They were willing to do some things, to make some changes, so that we can do some good."

Users who are viewing this thread