What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tom Brady finally ends the debate. Thank you TB12. (1 Viewer)

ShamrockPride

Footballguy
When asked if Brady had surpassed Joe Montana in the pantheon of quarterbacks, the 5-time Super Bowl champion quarterback made an interesting admission.

"I don't agree with that," Brady said, "and I'll tell you why. I know myself as a player. I'm really a product of what I've been around, who I was coached by, what I played against, in the era I played in. I really believe if a lot of people were in my shoes they could accomplish the same kinds of things. So I've been very fortunate.”

"I think there are many more players blessed with more ability," Brady added. "I've worked hard with what I've been given ... and I've had to go about making improvements in different ways. If I was doing the things everyone else is doing, I wouldn't have the same results.
http://www.patspulpit.com/2017/5/16/15644772/tom-brady-im-not-the-greatest-of-all-time-because-im-a-product-of-the-patriots-system

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never been a Brady apologist, but he is saying all the right things here.

And to be fair, Montana could just as easily claim to have been a product of his own coach and system.  Bill Walsh was Bellichek before Bellichek was.

Of course Montana could have and should have said the same exact thing. Brady takes the high road, in the end, it will be up to the masses to decide who is the GOAT.

Those statements are exactly why Brady is the GOAT. He credits his teammates and coaches which emphasizes his outstanding leadership.

Has anyone seen the 'A Football Life' episode on Kurt Warner?  In it, Martz explains how he knew Warner was a true leader and ready to lead the Rams. He explains that he was intentionally 'stressing' Warner and one time he lit into him really hard over a botched play but Martz knew the fault was on the O-line, not Warner. He said Warner accepted responsibility and never blamed it on the other guys. It was then that Martz realized Warner was the real deal. 

I'm not a Pats fan but I respect the hell out of Brady and BB. Those quotes from Brady reiterate his greatness, not diminish it. 

Lol, like he was going to come out and say he did it all himself, or Belicheck who? This is also the guy that told the owner of the Patriots that he was the best draft pick that they ever made, as a 6th round rookie behind a good quarterback. 

Brady may not have done everything the right way but you have to hand it to him here.  The guy knows how to let his actions speak for him.  He certainly did work his butt off every day to get where he is.  Even if he/they did some unethical things along the way, no one can say they outworked or out-studied him.  Even as a Jets fan, I can say he has been truly entertaining to watch and his passion and intensity has been unmatched.  I'd say he has certainly earned the right to be called GOAT, or at least Goat A and B with Montana

What is he supposed to say given the circumstance? Did you expect him to come out and say that yes, I am better than Joe Montana? He can’t say that, but I’ll happily say it for him. Tom Brady is better than Joe Montana and every other qb in the history of football. 

Lol, like he was going to come out and say he did it all himself, or Belicheck who? This is also the guy that told the owner of the Patriots that he was the best draft pick that they ever made, as a 6th round rookie behind a good quarterback. 
 I wonder how many late round draft picks think this and/or say it to the GM or owner and don't pan out. It's only a story when lightning strikes. 

As far as what he said, who cares. Does he have to be the GOAT? Does he have to not be? Does it matter? Some people really don't like the Pats at all and would never admit to him as the GOAT. Some people are blinded by their own team affiliation and would say Brady is the second coming. Debates like this are trivial as no one will ever win and at the end of the day it doesn't matter; his accomplishments (tarnished or not) still stand and nothing anyone says can take those away from him. I don't think Brady cares if people view him as the GOAT. I don't think any of that matters to Brady. He's a "let the chips fall where they may" kind of guy it seems. 

I've been a Montana guy since a probably high school in the early 90s.  But honestly, at this point, Brady is in his own tier, IMO.  Has there ever been a QB THIS GOOD with essentially no elite offensive skill players on a consistent basis?  Yes, there was the Moss era.  And of course Gronk but he has missed a lot of games the last few years.  Other than that, he's become the GOAT with mostly mediocre talent. 

I've been a Montana guy since a probably high school in the early 90s.  But honestly, at this point, Brady is in his own tier, IMO.  Has there ever been a QB THIS GOOD with essentially no elite offensive skill players on a consistent basis?  Yes, there was the Moss era.  And of course Gronk but he has missed a lot of games the last few years.  Other than that, he's become the GOAT with mostly mediocre talent. 
Yep, but he has the one thing the vast majority of players do not - the greatest coach of all time. 

Users who are viewing this thread