What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Remembering Memorial Day / Memorial Day Weekend (1 Viewer)

SaintsInDome2006

Footballguy
QUOTE:

"Hi Folks, Happy Memorial Day. No football news today from us. Just a thanks. I make three exceptions a year when I send a non football email: Memorial Day, Independence Day, and Veterans Day. Every year, I have people who send me mail telling me I have no right to "preach" and that I should never have the nerve to send something non football related. Especially something patriotic. Save your breath. If you fall into that category, instructions for unsubscribing from this list are at the bottom of the email. For you guys who are not U.S. citizens, thanks for your patience and please indulge us here. Memorial Day is a big deal for us. It's a day where we as a nation, take a moment and thank the men and women who've given everything for our country. It's easy for the true meaning of this day to get lost in the excitement of Summer starting and cookouts and picnics. But please don't lose sight of the day's real significance. Most of the things we'll enjoy today, we're enjoying because those before us made selfless sacrifices. As I always do on Memorial Day, I'm including some words by Father Dennis Edward O'Brien below. If you know a veteran or a family member of a veteran, take thirty seconds and say "thanks". It'll go a long ways. Trust me. To all our Footballguys readers and their families who are honored today, we salute you and say "Thank You." Happy Memorial Day Joe Bryant and David DoddsOwners, Footballguys.com"

:thumbup:

Still an AWESOME message.

Have a good weekend FBGs.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is an awesome message, however every time I hear "Happy" Memorial Day I cringe....... Nothing happy about it.
It's solemn in nature for sure, but the weather has turned in the Northeast and other parts of the land, and spirits are high. Let us honor our brave and fallen with a celebration worthy of New Orleans. I'd like to think that's part of what they fought for -- a moment of celebration then remembrance, then unadulterated love.  

With great respect to them, 

RA

It is an awesome message, however every time I hear "Happy" Memorial Day I cringe....... Nothing happy about it.
I changed the thread title, I agree.

I originally intended that people might discuss weekend plans that kind of (happy) thing, but obviously it's really about the soldiers and their families.

I read this piece.

And this.

- And I think of my own Dad, who on this day would watch the Memorial Day war movies. He'd point out how clean everyone was, and how it wasn't like that. They didn't have baths or sunscreen or anything we're used to. And they would show Normandy D-Day movies, and my Dad would ask, 'you know what I was doing at this time 60 years ago?' And he would point out he was riding in a Higgins boat across the Pacific.He was on his way to the Battle of Saipan & Tinian, two small islands where ultimately 60,000 Americans, Japanese and locals would be killed or woudned. And it occurs to you that at some point these men were told and they knew that these could be their last days on Earth, all they knew or were ever going to have was very possibly going to disappear forever, and that moment crept ever forward every day and every minute they rode forward towards that beach. He didn't talk about the war very much except in those ways, sort of reflections of what he went through, but I know it was never a happy day when he did.

I changed the thread title, I agree.

I originally intended that people might discuss weekend plans that kind of (happy) thing, but obviously it's really about the soldiers and their families.

I read this piece.

And this.

- And I think of my own Dad, who on this day would watch the Memorial Day war movies. He'd point out how clean everyone was, and how it wasn't like that. They didn't have baths or sunscreen or anything we're used to. And they would show Normandy D-Day movies, and my Dad would ask, 'you know what I was doing at this time 60 years ago?' And he would point out he was riding in a Higgins boat across the Pacific.He was on his way to the Battle of Saipan & Tinian. And it occurs to you that at some point these men were told and they knew that these could be their last days on Earth, all they knew or were ever going to have was very possibly going to disappear forever, and that moment crept ever forward every day and every minute they rode forward towards that beach. He didn't talk about the war very much except in those ways, sort of reflections of what he went through, but I know it was never a happy day when he did.
:thumbup:

SID for mod of PSF. Truly great work in here, gentlemen. Let's keep it genteel, and remember yet celebrate. 

Ever since Lincoln wrote it in 1864, this version has been the most often reproduced, notably on the walls of the Lincoln Memorial in Washington. It is named after Colonel Alexander Bliss, stepson of historian George Bancroft. Bancroft asked President Lincoln for a copy to use as a fundraiser for soldiers (see "Bancroft Copy" below). However, because Lincoln wrote on both sides of the paper, the speech could not be reprinted, so Lincoln made another copy at Bliss's request. It is the last known copy written by Lincoln and the only one signed and dated by him. Today it is on display at the Lincoln Room of the White House.

Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate -- we can not consecrate -- we can not hallow -- this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

God Bless America

@Joe Bryant, thanks for the wonderful newsletter every year at this time.

Ever since Lincoln wrote it in 1864, this version has been the most often reproduced, notably on the walls of the Lincoln Memorial in Washington. It is named after Colonel Alexander Bliss, stepson of historian George Bancroft. Bancroft asked President Lincoln for a copy to use as a fundraiser for soldiers (see "Bancroft Copy" below). However, because Lincoln wrote on both sides of the paper, the speech could not be reprinted, so Lincoln made another copy at Bliss's request. It is the last known copy written by Lincoln and the only one signed and dated by him. Today it is on display at the Lincoln Room of the White House.

Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate -- we can not consecrate -- we can not hallow -- this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

God Bless America

@Joe Bryant, thanks for the wonderful newsletter every year at this time.
Two of my favorite Lincoln letters, which I often think of on Memorial Day:

Letter to Fanny McCullough (video)

Writing to the 22 year old daughter of a friend killed in the Civil War: You are sure to be happy again. To know this, which is certainly true, will make you some less miserable now. I have had experience enough to know what I say; and you need only to believe it, to feel better at once. The memory of your dear Father, instead of an agony, will yet be a sad sweet feeling in your heart, of a purer, and holier sort than you have known before.

The Bixby Letter  (text)   
Reading (video)

The Bixby letter is a brief, consoling message sent by President Abraham Lincoln in November 1864 to Lydia Parker Bixby, a widow living in Boston, Massachusetts, who lost five sons in the Union Army during the American Civil War. For those that can’t place it, a reading of this letter was in an early scene of Saving Private Ryan.

I always lose it when at a fellow Veterans funeral they hand the spouse a tightly folded flag: with the thanks of a grateful nation.

Users who are viewing this thread