What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG Memorial - Honoring Forum Posters Who Have Passed (1 Viewer)

I kinda remember the thread but can’t place it

On another note are you still in contact with Bender? Last time I talked to him his health didn’t sound too good

Whoa, now I'm worried. I was last in touch a few months ago when we talked about Chicago, and I saw posts on Facebook from him recently (like in the past month or so), so I figured all is fine. I just went to Facebook and Instagram and both his accounts are deactivated. I could text him and see what happens. (I realize I could also call, but that seems intrusive - what do you think?)

Isn't he posting on Facebook as Rodnald Silks?

I kinda remember the thread but can’t place it

On another note are you still in contact with Bender? Last time I talked to him his health didn’t sound too good

Whoa, now I'm worried. I was last in touch a few months ago when we talked about Chicago, and I saw posts on Facebook from him recently (like in the past month or so), so I figured all is fine. I just went to Facebook and Instagram and both his accounts are deactivated. I could text him and see what happens. (I realize I could also call, but that seems intrusive - what do you think?)

Isn't he posting on Facebook as Rodnald Silks?

I don’t have facebook :shrug:

I’ve instructed my wife to come here and let everyone know.

There will be a raffle for my shovel collection.
Is your wife knowledgeable in HVAC issues in case we have questions?
Unfortunately, no. But she's really good at insurance claims and navigating insurance billing. So with all you old farts around here that could come in handy down the round.

Mr Ham lost his kid too

There are others who have lost their children, too, but they cope with it differently and I'm not sure adding them to the list helps them lessen their grief, so I won't add them. Just so you two know—and if we've talked about it or addressed it before, it's you—I'm thinking of you both when I type this. God bless and take care, guys.

Last edited:
One of my IRL buddies that got me into this place and made the @augmentlauren cornhole killed himself about a month after the cornhole. His handle had Russ in it, but I can't seem to find it. Maybe didn't make the merge. Got hooked on hyrdro. Was already pretty hard in at the cornhole to the point I was trying to get him help.

Feel like I'm the only one that knew the guy, and some handles here probably come and go without being noticed and just run off the cliff.

One of my IRL buddies that got me into this place and made the @augmentlauren cornhole killed himself about a month after the cornhole. His handle had Russ in it, but I can't seem to find it. Maybe didn't make the merge. Got hooked on hyrdro. Was already pretty hard in at the cornhole to the point I was trying to get him help.

Feel like I'm the only one that knew the guy, and some handles here probably come and go without being noticed and just run off the cliff.
Sorry to hear that.

All FBG usernames that start with "Russ" can be found on this page: https://forums.footballguys.com/members/list/?page=2234

Do any of those ring a bell?

Sorry to hear that.

All FBG usernames that start with "Russ" can be found on this page: https://forums.footballguys.com/members/list/?page=2234

Not really seeing it, I do think he kidded back and forth with @russinfortworth may be able to figure it out that way. Can't believe the most famous Texas cornhole of all time is like 18 years old now. jesus.

Sorry to hear that.

Not really seeing it, I do think he kidded back and forth with @russinfortworth may be able to figure it out that way. Can't believe the most famous Texas cornhole of all time is like 18 years old now. jesus.
It's also possible that his name was Russ and I can't recall his FBG handle. If someone has the shot of the cornhole with names I'd figure this out. I think maybe Joe took all that down though when the Lauren stuff got funky.

It might be too late now (as Joe likely has enough on his plate), but IMO it would be great to keep an updated list of fallen comrades (and family members) in the original post.
I was thinking the same thing. After this first group ((inaugural class?), we can add onto the list chronologically as these sad events come to light.

Mr Ham lost his kid too

There are others who have lost their children, too, but they cope with it differently and I'm not sure adding them to the list helps them lessen their grief, so I won't add them. Just so you two know—and if we've talked about it or addressed it before, it's you—I'm thinking of you both when I type this. God bless and take care, guys.

I'm glad you posted this. I have had someone else on my mind who has lost not one but two sons, but I didn't want to call him out. Hope if he reads this that he'll know I (or we) have him mentally included here.

Mr Ham lost his kid too

I'm glad you posted this. I have had someone else on my mind who has lost not one but two sons, but I didn't want to call him out. Hope if he reads this that he'll know I (or we) have him mentally included here.
Oh man. Terrible

Man of Constant Sorrow and Wikkid as well
These are the 2 here that I had real relationships with who passed. It sucks. I don't even want to talk about it other than to say I want to talk to them again. There was so much more I had to say. There was so much they had to say. I ****ing hate that they are gone

I'm so sorry, my friend. I didn't realize how close you were to both of them. Tom was amazing, and I miss Dale pretty much every day and so want to talk with him.

It might be too late now (as Joe likely has enough on his plate), but IMO it would be great to keep an updated list of fallen comrades (and family members) in the original post.

Speaking only for myself, I think we can leave family members off the list as that would likely be too unwieldy (most or all of us have experienced loss in this respect) and as has been mentioned may be too awkward for some who are not comfortable with it.

These are the 2 here that I had real relationships with who passed. It sucks. I don't even want to talk about it other than to say I want to talk to them again. There was so much more I had to say. There was so much they had to say. I ****ing hate that they are gone

I'm so sorry, my friend. I didn't realize how close you were to both of them. Tom was amazing, and I miss Dale pretty much every day and so want to talk with him.
I don’t know if I was any more close than many others here but I had PMs with them and we had ongoing conversations. They were both great guys and quite interesting people. It’s certainly a less interesting place here without them.

It’s certainly a less interesting place here without them.

That's a fact.

Assuming nothing else changes.

I have this thought often when someone awesome passes.

In the overall group of people, the loss of that person affects the group as the good things they brought are no longer being contributed. Works the same whether the group is the entire human population or a message board forum or a small group of 5 people.

Obviously, the smaller the group, the bigger the loss as that person no longer here is a bigger percentage of the good things being contributed.

The bottom line is the group is less without this person. That's undeniable.

My thought then is what do we do that?

The easy answer is we just accept we're less and move on. And likely get a little bit less over time. Rinse and Repeat.

Or what if we don't accept that nothing else changes?

What if we chose to move toward asking, "Who's going to help fill the void?". And to be clear, many times (as in the case of the folks we've lost here) the people no longer here are super unique and special. Nobody is going to "replace" what they did.

But in a general sense of things like "less interesting", I think people can help fill the void. Maybe that person is you. Maybe it's me. Maybe it's us.

So I think the right response from the group when facing a loss is asking what we're going to do to help make up the good/interesting/fun/insightful/etc that we lost.

That's on us. And I think it's likely the best way we can honor those we've lost.

Last edited:

Thanks. If someone wants to be the appointed person to make and update a list, that would be great.

They can tag me in their post and whenever they do an update.

It’s certainly a less interesting place here without them.

That's a fact.

Assuming nothing else changes.

I have this thought often when someone awesome passes.

In the overall group of people, the loss of that person affects the group as the good things they brought are no longer being contributed. Works the same whether the group is the entire human population or a message board forum or a small group of 5 people.

Obviously, the smaller the group, the bigger the loss as that person no longer here is a bigger percentage of the good things being contributed.

The bottom line is the group is less without this person. That's undeniable.

My thought then is what do we do that?

The easy answer is we just accept we're less and move on. And likely get a little bit less over time. Rinse and Repeat.

Or what if we don't accept that nothing else changes?

What if we chose to move toward asking, "Who's going to help fill the void?". And to be clear, many times (as in the case of the folks we've lost here) the people no longer here are super unique and special. Nobody is going to "replace" what they did.

But in a general sense of things like "less interesting", I think people can help fill the void. Maybe that person is you. Maybe it's me. Maybe it's us.

So I think the right response from the group when facing a loss is asking what we're going to do to help make up the good/interesting/fun/insightful/etc that we lost.

That's on us. And I think it's likely the best way we can honor those we've lost.

An excellent perspective. Thank you.

On the topic of what we can do and how we might help offset the loss.
Well written. I only point this out to help, but I think you wanted “without” here:

In both cases, someone accurately observed, "This place will be less interesting with them."
Yes, Thanks. I added a note this morning on the without. That's been pretty typical for me - spend time writing something and then screw up a key line. I may just delete and post again some other time. I fixed some errors in the hour window Twitter give you to edit but saw this one about an hour and a half after I posted. Sigh. I'll try it again tomorrow.

Last edited:
Also, Tremendous Upside. It's so jarring. It's also hard because I can't go to a memorial or anything. When a poster disappeared from another board I read, another poster in federal law enforcement actaully had to track down what had happened to him so we wouldn't wonder.

Users who are viewing this thread