What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

AT40 - This Week In 1973 (1 Viewer)

39. J Geils Band - "Give It To Me". A nasty little respite from stuff like #40. Peter Wolf is still making records. Geils died a few months ago.

38. Raspberries - "Let's Pretend". Pure Power Pop goodness. "Smart" bands like REM can go #### themselves - I'll take this kind of stuff any day.

37. Blue Ridge Rangers - "Hearts Of Stone". Remake of a remake of a remake. Fogerty gone rogue due to a contract dispute like James Brown did as Nat Kendrick. Like anyone didn't know. 

39. J Geils Band - "Give It To Me". A nasty little respite from stuff like #40. Peter Wolf is still making records. Geils died a few months ago.
Geils was the scourge of any Boston tunehead because music was social back then and these guys & Grand Funk were the music of the "beeries", the hippie term for townies, jocks, yahoos & yobbos. It shocked me when i first heard this that the band - even with the always amazing Peter Wolf - had any radiobility at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Geils was the scourge of any Boston tunehead because music was social back then and these guys & Grand Funk were the music of the "beeries", the hippie term for townies, jocks, yahoos & yobbos. It shocked me when i first heard this that the band - even with the always amazing Peter Wolf - had any radiobility at all.
I think JGB had the last laugh over #### like the Flying Tomatoes or whoever they were trying to sell as the Bosstown Sound.

35. New Birth - "I Can Understand That". Temptations rip, but still better than REM or Gilbert O'Sullivan

34. George Harrison - "Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth)". Love, love, love the guitar in this. My 2nd fave solo-George song.

33. Barbara Fairchild - "Teddy Bear Song". Trad country-pop in the vein of Donna Fargo & what Tanya Tucker was doing at the time. 

31. John & Ernest - "Superfly Meets Shaft". Oh, God - no. This is one of those mashups of popular songs by "reporters" trying to link music & politics. :puke:

29. Spinners - "One Of A Kind (Love Affair)". We're on a mini-roll here! Phillipe Wynne (sp?) might have been the most underrated singer of the 70s. 

29. Spinners - "One Of A Kind (Love Affair)". We're on a mini-roll here! Phillipe Wynne (sp?) might have been the most underrated singer of the 70s. 
Didn't know until recently how my music tastes were influenced so much by groups like the Spinners.   I was 13 when this show aired.

28. First Choice - "Armed & Extremely Dangerous". Pretty middling 70s soul and proto-disco, but still better than that John and Ernest debacle.

one of those that i loved hearing as a kid ... but didn't quite appreciate for it's levity until years later 

34. George Harrison - "Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth)". Love, love, love the guitar in this. My 2nd fave solo-George song.
Wish you, and Harrison for that matter, could hear my arrangement of "I, Me, Mine". For the last couple of years, i been diddling with a sequel screenplay of "Breakfast at Tiffany", where Holly marries "Fred", he has a bestseller with "B@T", they have a daughter, Holly kills herself, Fred buys their old building as a tribute and gives it to their daughter (Tiffany, of course) as a college graduation present. Tiffany wants to be a punk but has missed it by five years or so. She's hot and talented and gets away with a weird cabaret act where she turns male rock songs on their ear into punk piano anthems (Manic Depression, Lady Stardust, she says, "here's a song about my period" and plays Ruby Tuesday) before trashing the piano and punching somebody. My arrangement - which i cant even play - for her for "I' Me, Mine" almost made me pass out wondering where that came from. Don't think i'm talented enough to pull it off (and copyrights wont let me anyways), but i'm sure havin fun trying.

Last edited by a moderator:
26. Alice Cooper - "No More Mr Nice Guy". Oh, ### ####! YES!!!!!!

Eat your hearts out, 80s metalheads. THIS #### rocked AND sold singles.

24. War - "Cisco Kid". The roll continues.

War was a really odd band. Also, probably misunderstood. I can't think of another band of their era like them - maybe Steely Dan or EWF, but both of those groups were a level higher IMO

23. The Independents - "Leaving Me". Amnesia on this one, folks. Instead of declaring our roll over, I'm gonna call it intermission and listen. It sounds like one of those "I'm gonna have to cheat on you" songs that ran amok in the early 70s.

Still better than REM

26. Alice Cooper - "No More Mr Nice Guy". Oh, ### ####! YES!!!!!!

Eat your hearts out, 80s metalheads. THIS #### rocked AND sold singles.
never forget my first encounter with Alice. spring '71, i'm cooping in ona those cleared-out brownstone attics with 20 people living in em full of Berklee music students who couldnt afford better (the guy who discovered Norah Jones and Greg from the Cars, i think, were there) and they were all going to the WBCN softball game, which was the leading rock station vs an up-and-coming band, with a concert by the band after. anyway they were playing Alice Cooper that day so i, of course, was looking for chicks. "There's Alice, there's Alice" they're all going, but theyre pointing at the guy playing 2nd base and i'm confused. not as confused as i was when they the girlman's comes out to sing in weird makeup, they played music like i never heard and BoyNamedSue electrocutes himself at the end. never forget that -

24. War - "Cisco Kid". The roll continues.

War was a really odd band. Also, probably misunderstood. I can't think of another band of their era like them - maybe Steely Dan or EWF, but both of those groups were a level higher IMO
Any band that inspires this deserves a seat at the table.  

I'm with you on their oddness.  They don't fit nicely into a genre; neither did Steely Dan or EWF. 

Users who are viewing this thread