What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fantasy draft bust of all time!!! (1 Viewer)

davesworld23

Footballguy
This feels like this would be a great topic in here #FDBOAT 

Who ya got?  Lets have some fun. List your all time or a time period (era) or even  a precise year.

My number 1 (in dynasty) the last few years was Monte Ball. I had high hopes for that kid!! (I say that out of respect) but that was a high pick. I got lucky that year. I had picks 5 & 7 and 7 was Hopkins and probably steal of the draft. 

However, getting Ball hurt even though i still rebounded getting CJ Anderson just before he blew up.

Bell was  #1 pick that. Year and he went #3 (2 on average #ADP ) still Ball was often flip flopped with Bell on the initiall rookie draft  rankings with equel arguments

Last edited by a moderator:
Redraft was Jordy 2015. Drafted him one day, literally lost him the next day. That year I had Dez, Jordy, Wright, and Smith Sr. I was getting bodied by every team in the league by week 4.

1). Lawrence Phillips

2) Charles Rogers

3) Ryan Leaf

4) Jamarcus Russell

5) Art Schlichter

6) Todd Marinovich

7 Heath Schuler

8) Blair Thomas

9) Akili Smith

10) Ki Jana Carter

11) William Green

12) Big Mike Williams

13) Curtis Enis

14) Trent Richardson

15)  Ron Dayne

16) Jay Soward

17) David Terrell

18) Ashlee Lelie

19) Troy Williamson

20) Rick Mirer

I took over a dynasty team in 2006 that was in dire need of a decent QB.

I was super excited to land JaMarcus Russell and Brady Quinn in our 2007 rookie draft because at least one of them had to work out right?  RIGHT?!?! 

I took over a dynasty team in 2006 that was in dire need of a decent QB.

I was super excited to land JaMarcus Russell and Brady Quinn in our 2007 rookie draft because at least one of them had to work out right?  RIGHT?!?! 
Right On!!  That hurt! I can see. 

Bishop Sankey

Laurence Maroney

William Green

Jamarcus Russell

Charles Rogers

Ryan Leaf

Marcus Nash
Yeah Sankey is another one but i would have skipped him if i had a high pick. I had #3 that year but i traded out to get Aaron Rodgers... (very well worth it!! )I know a couple owners  who it effected

Braylon Edwards and Shaun Alexander after their monster years.

What do i win?

Also hard to forget FBG darling Kevin Barlow.

Detroit RBs

Kevin Jones, Jahvid Best. Oh what could have been.
:goodposting:

Saw Kevin Jones play HS ball in the Philadelphia Catholic League, thought he was going to be a nice NFL back that just didn't pan out. Best was a shame with all of the concussion issues, hope he's healthy and happy in retirement. 

Of recent times, I voted Trent Richardson and RGIII. As rookie can't miss prospects, they were complete busts after their first seasons.

In a convoluted way, I'd like to nominate Mark Ingram.

The year he came out, 2011, I was lucky enough to have traded for a pick that ended up being the 1.01.

I was in fairly serious need at RB and pretty solid at WR, so I took Ingram, the consensus RB1 and a supposed sure thing.  After crappy 2011/2012/2013 seasons, I unloaded him.

Really worked out well for me that I didn't take AJ Green or Julio Jones.

Trent Richardson caused a fight on one of my leagues that caused an owner to quit. :lol:   From personal experience I'll go with that guy.

See you are putting basic bust factors, what about hype busts? 

Christine Michael AND Jermichael "Bump" Finley

(based on the fantasy world hype, alone)

For me personally nothing will ever come close to Trent. Never invested more in a player in redraft and dynasty.

Redraft was Jordy 2015. Drafted him one day, literally lost him the next day. That year I had Dez, Jordy, Wright, and Smith Sr. I was getting bodied by every team in the league by week 4.
That year I drafted Luck, Jordy and Jeffery with my first 3 picks.  Luck played injured all year and missed some games, Jordy was lost for the season the day after my draft and Jeffery had his soft tissue injury plagued season.  Somehow I managed to limp into the playoffs but of course lost in the first round.

The guys who just flat out sucked were much more harmful than guys who got injured.  Waste of a lineup/roster spot hurts more than just cutting or IR'ing a guy

For me it was Cordarelle Patterson.  Most of that is on me, but in a dynasty startup, coming off his amazing end of his rookie season, I drafted him in the 3rd round...

Maybe I'm only remembering these two since they represent "firsts" for me.... but JaMarcus Russell was my first ever rookie pick in a dynasty league.  That turned out well.  But thankfully one bad pick does not make or break a team as I've gone on to win multiple championships in that league and I think I've been in the top half of the standings since I joined.

Another first... my first pick EVER in a fantasy league... Vinny Testaverde.  Not necessarily a bust, but the guy busted his Achilles just a half into Game 1 in '99.  Hell, I hadn't even gotten off the plane from my live draft.  Turned my phone on when I landed to find a slew of text messages from my leaguemates.  Fortunately I had drafted one Rich Gannon as my backup and he was more than adequate.

Others that come to mind.... Bishop Sankey, RG3, Maxx Williams (maybe), Devin Smith, Johnny Football.  

The guys who just flat out sucked were much more harmful than guys who got injured.  Waste of a lineup/roster spot hurts more than just cutting or IR'ing a guy
This is very true.

I recall doing an FFPC startup in 2013 and I took Trent at 1.3, David Wilson at 3.3 and Mendenhall at 7.3. Trent I carried for 2 full seasons and an off season, never got a 20 point game, barely squeezed out a few spattering of low double digit games. David Wilson I carried for a whole season and a whole off-season and never got a double digit game. Mendenhall I carried an entire year and never put in my lineup.

I split this team with a friend of mine and we always say we'd have been better off had we just forfeited the picks.

This is very true.

I recall doing an FFPC startup in 2013 and I took Trent at 1.3, David Wilson at 3.3 and Mendenhall at 7.3. Trent I carried for 2 full seasons and an off season, never got a 20 point game, barely squeezed out a few spattering of low double digit games. David Wilson I carried for a whole season and a whole off-season and never got a double digit game. Mendenhall I carried an entire year and never put in my lineup.

I split this team with a friend of mine and we always say we'd have been better off had we just forfeited the picks.
Or u could have just traded them as soon as you could for cheap, but my guess is you wanted to be greedy and get as much as you can because of what you paid for. I was a Wilson owner and people still were trying to get him after his injury at first. So my guess is you outsmarted yourself hoping he would be back, and he didnt. I will move anyone for cheap regardless if I just got him yesterday for a hefty price if a neck injury issue comes out. Cut your losses and your licks and move on, many dont, and thats why they say forfeiting picks would be better. 

I guess when I am thinking FANTASY bust I think mostly from a redraft perspective....not a start up dynasty perspective, and not even from a highly hyped rookie redraft perspective....meaning I think of it more from angle where it is a guy that has "done it" before in the league......gets drafted very high based on that the next year....and then basically ####s the bed and disappears.....and not because of injury....

Jordy Nelson has never really been a bust....when he plays he is productive...I would consider what Allen Robinson put up last year compared to where he was drafted as more of a bust than Jordy Nelson has ever been....

I guess when I am thinking FANTASY bust I think mostly from a redraft perspective....not a start up dynasty perspective, and not even from a highly hyped rookie redraft perspective....meaning I think of it more from angle where it is a guy that has "done it" before in the league......gets drafted very high based on that the next year....and then basically ####s the bed and disappears.....and not because of injury....

Jordy Nelson has never really been a bust....when he plays he is productive...I would consider what Allen Robinson put up last year compared to where he was drafted as more of a bust than Jordy Nelson has ever been....
Robinson, Hopkins and Gurley from last year are all ones that come to mind for me.

Robinson, Hopkins and Gurley from last year are all ones that come to mind for me.
those are great examples of busts from last year.....just not sure they rank up there with the "all timers"....those guys while disappointing still put up some numbers...

an all timer pretty much has to be:

1. someone who wasn't injured

2. drastically under performed compared to previous year/s and did not even come close to their ADP

Trich was considered the #1 overall dynasty player by many after his rookie year. 
Actually before that, but it continued after his rookie year. In fact, the hype in this forum for TRich was so over-the-top that a now discredited poster repeatedly called him a "Mortal Lock" and literally guaranteed success for anyone in dynasty leagues who added him to their roster. I tried to be the voice of reason and was laughed at, although I did get the last laugh on this self proclaimed expert who thought his opinions about TR were not opinions but actually facts.

I think T-Rich might just be the clear winner here from a dynasty perspective, especially if you look at it starting his 2nd year.  People invested a ton in him, and he was just awful, though kept giving people enough hope to hang on to him before his value hit rock bottom.  He not only cost a lot and did nothing, but also cost a roster spot for a while.

Negative value out of a top 3 startup pick, ouch.

It's about to be Laquan Treadwell and Leonte Carroo for me, if they continue to stink it up.  Going into the draft last year, I had 1.4 and 1.5, which would have been Michael Thomas and Sterling Shepard had I kept the picks. However, I was really high on Treadwell and traded those picks for 1.2 and 2.2(Treadwell and Carroo).

It's about to be Laquan Treadwell and Leonte Carroo for me, if they continue to stink it up.  Going into the draft last year, I had 1.4 and 1.5, which would have been Michael Thomas and Sterling Shepard had I kept the picks. However, I was really high on Treadwell and traded those picks for 1.2 and 2.2(Treadwell and Carroo).
I actually have high hopes for both.

Treadwell is supposedly looking fairly good in camp (maybe just coachspeak) and a full off-season with Bradford may have helped leaps and bounds.

I knew Caroo was not going to produce immediate returns.  He is just far too similar to Landry to see meaningful time.  Yet.  Landry is a FA next year, and while there appears to be a good chance he will be resigned, it didn't necessarily look that way when I drafted Caroo.  But those are the chances you gotta take!

Actually before that, but it continued after his rookie year. In fact, the hype in this forum for TRich was so over-the-top that a now discredited poster repeatedly called him a "Mortal Lock" and literally guaranteed success for anyone in dynasty leagues who added him to their roster. I tried to be the voice of reason and was laughed at, although I did get the last laugh on this self proclaimed expert who thought his opinions about TR were not opinions but actually facts.
Interestingly, the same year, I traded AJ Green for Antonio Brown and the 1.3, which gave me picks 1.2 and 1.3.  I took David Wilson and Justin Blackmon.  1, 2, and 3 were bust that year.

Was looking at some lists and 2007 was a banner year. Pretty sure I had one redraft team with Larry Johnson and Rudi Johnson. Somehow I missed out on Vince Young for the one team trifecta of busts.

In a convoluted way, I'd like to nominate Mark Ingram.

The year he came out, 2011, I was lucky enough to have traded for a pick that ended up being the 1.01.

I was in fairly serious need at RB and pretty solid at WR, so I took Ingram, the consensus RB1 and a supposed sure thing.  After crappy 2011/2012/2013 seasons, I unloaded him.

Really worked out well for me that I didn't take AJ Green or Julio Jones.
It could have been worse. In my local dynasty, Ingram went 1.01 and the guy with the 1.02 was so desperate for a RB he took Daniel Thomas at 1.02. As the holder of the 1.04, I was not too upset of course.

Luckily I didn't have him anywhere but Cam last year has to be up there for recent times.

Went from being the #1 QB to I think #19 or something. Was going in the 3rd round while waiver wire QBs outscored him.

My personal would be a tie between CJ Spiller and David Wilson (Giants RB) a few years back. Was so excited to be keeping those two guys. Spiller just finished his one big year, and David Wilson was supposedly gonna be a 3-down back who was getting drafted in the 2nd.

Good lord was that ugly.

My very first pick (late first) ever (Dynasty start-up, no less): Brandon Jackson, in 2007. That was a learning experience whereby I soberingly realized that I should never blindly draft a Packers player out of pure, ignorant homerism. 

Luckily I didn't have him anywhere but Cam last year has to be up there for recent times.

Went from being the #1 QB to I think #19 or something. Was going in the 3rd round while waiver wire QBs outscored him.

My personal would be a tie between CJ Spiller and David Wilson (Giants RB) a few years back. Was so excited to be keeping those two guys. Spiller just finished his one big year, and David Wilson was supposedly gonna be a 3-down back who was getting drafted in the 2nd.

Good lord was that ugly.
Injury doing him in shouldn't count.

My very first pick (late first) ever (Dynasty start-up, no less): Brandon Jackson, in 2007. That was a learning experience whereby I soberingly realized that I should never blindly draft a Packers player out of pure, ignorant homerism. 
:-)  I'm smiling because I remember drafting Jackson also in a rookie draft and someone later in the draft picked Wes Welker a free agent.  I commented to him during the draft at the time that Welker was a great sleeper.  Of course, he later offered to trade me Welker even-up for Jackson (who he picked at least 2-3 rounds later), and I ridiculed him!!!   Ouch!

Injury doing him in shouldn't count.
Concur. I don't think Wilson would have ever been as high as I once had him ranked, but you also never had to pay that top price to acquire him (unless you tried to buy from me, damn I should have exited.). 

gotta think Brady rolling his ankle the year after throwing 50 tds is up there
ACL but I don't count injuries as busts. If I did I'd put Gronk down last season as one if bigger redraft busts in recent memory. He gave you 4 good games but skunked you a few other games and then was done and in some formats he was a first round pick.

And on that note I still say Trent is biggest bust in redraft and dynasty. Injuries remove most bust. Then you have a lot of disappointing players that still have use. Like last season Gurley and Hopkins as examples. They were not worth what you paid but Gurley was a middling RB2 and Hopkins I'm guessing a solid WR3 so they had value, not what you paid for but value.

Heading into year two Trent was a mid to high first round pick and while he did get traded he was the worst non-injury related performance from a first round fantasy pick I can recall.

Tatum Bell deserves an honorable mention, being the cover-boy of a mag and all the ploy-filled motivation he received. 

Users who are viewing this thread